Memories.

It Was Always You. (The Truth Behind YunJae)

 

I held to my mother’s hand as I stumbled onto the wooden floor in front of me. I was so young but I was young enough to speak. As I tried to remember my mother’s face but all I could see was a blur whenever I tried to remember. It had been so long since I saw her face clearly. She was talking to another woman about something but I was too busy playing with the loose hem of my mother’s dress. It was a nice blue. I loved that dress that she wore. I remember telling her it was my favourite the day before. I was picked up by my mother. Part of the loose hem pulled and a piece of the dress came off from her skirt. She didn’t notice because of the tears running from her eyes. “Mommy, why is chu crying? Pwease don’t cry mommy.” I kissed her cheek, hoping to make her feel better. She looked at me and kissed my head. “I love you Jaejoong. Mommy’s doing this to help you okay? Please never hate Mommy for this. I love you Jaejoong ahh.” She hugged me tightly and kissed me again. She then handed me the women she was talking to and rushed out of the room. “Mommy?! MOMMY?! MOMMY?! COME BACK MOMMY!!” I screamed as I struggled to get out of the women’s grasp, but she wouldn’t let go. That was the last time I had seen my mother. I knew the reason why she left and it was to keep me away from the man I call my ‘father’. The abusive bastard would stop drinking and hitting me and my mother, so I guess she decided that to keep me away from him for my best.

Life was hard living with the Kim’s. They were my adopted family and they raised me and treated me nicely but it was hard to get by and I had to start working for as long as I could remember.

*FLASHBACK* (General POV)

“Jaejae! Can you please go get some groceries so I can cook your favourite?” Mrs. Kim smiled as she ruffled little Jaejoong’s hair. “Yay!! Thank you Umma!” Jaejoong hugged Mrs. Kim tightly and ran out onto the dusty streets to the shop, which was far from where they lived. The Kim’s were a poor family but Jaejoong was more than happy enough to work and have a loving family to take care of him since his real mother and father left him. After an hour of running/walking, Jaejoong reached the little shack with the sign ‘”Jung’s Grocery” in front of it. He went inside and picked out and armful of items he knew Mrs. Kim needed to cook. As he pushed all the items onto the table, trying not to drop them and stood on his tippy toes, looking over the counter. “Annyeong Jae, is your Umma cooking for you again?”  The owner of the store smiled at the boy, who was a regular customer to his store. “Annyeong Mr. Jung!  Yes she is! I can’t wait to eat it when she’s done! I didn’t get to eat anything yesterday since no one came to our store yesterday.” Jaejoong pouted as he put an arm around his growling stomach. Mr. Jung sighed. “It’s hard times we go through Jaejoong. When you’ll get older, you’ll understand. So is this all you’re going to buy?” he asked with a smile. Jaejoong nodded as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a few coins and a note, giving it to Mr. Jung. As he counted the money his smile faded. “I’m so sorry Jae, but you don’t have enough money to pay for everything.” Jaejoong’s eyes widened. “B-but… Umma worked so hard for that money this week.” Jaejoong’s eyes became watery as he remembered helping Mrs. Kim sow to make clothes for their business. Her hands were bleeding from being pricked by the needle so many times. Mr. Jung sighed. “I’m very sorry Jae but you can still buy most of the stuff here, I just have to put some stuff back okay? I’m sorry that I can’t help you any further but my family is going through a hard time too.” He gave the small bag of grocery to Jaejoong. “Maybe you can get the rest next time when you have enough okay? I’ll see you next time Jae” Jaejoong understood Mr. Jung and nodded. “Thank you Mr. Jung for all your help” he weakly smiled and dragged himself out of the store.

As he was walking away from the store he heard a noise. “Psst! Over here!” Jaejoong turned around to see a brown haired boy of his age appear in front of him with a bag. “Who are you?” Jaejoong asked. The boy smiled at him and gave him the bag.

“I’m Yunho! My father owns the grocery store. I saw that you didn’t have enough money for the rest of the stuff you wanted so I got it when my Appa wasn’t looking. Don’t tell him I did that or I’ll be in BIG trouble!” Yunho smiled as Jaejoong took the bag. Jaejoong was very grateful but was curious. “Kamsamnida! But why did you steal from your father’s store for me?” Yunho smiled brightly, his cheeks slightly red.

“Because I want to be your friend and you have really pretty eyes”. Jaejoong went red and looked down instantly. He had never been told that before. “Oh, K-Kamsamnida. Je ireumeun Jaejoong imnida.” He said shyly. “Well, I guess I better go now since my Umma is waiting for me. Kamsamnida again Yunho!” he bowed as he was about to walk away until he felt two arms around him. “No problem Jaejoong. Kamsamnida for being my friend.” Yunho pulled away from Jaejoong slightly and pecked him on the cheek before smiling and running off. Jaejoong couldn’t help but smile and blush all the way back to his house. That night he went to bed with an almost full stomach and he smiled in his sleep as he murmured in his sleep. “Yunho.”