2.

I'm No One's Favorite

The months following Jiwoo’s return weren’t the most pleasing for Jinsol and Sooyoung. Although both of them were suffering from the whole situation, their silence caused them not to know about each other’s misfortune, and what could have been avoided thanks to a single talk couldn’t be avoided now. 

 

Sooyoung and Jiwoo had a small talk the night the smaller came back to town. Although the two of them had spent an incredible summer, they figured out it would be better if they’d let time do its thing and see if eventually someday they’d get back together. Those words actually raised Sooyoung’s expectations in her heart. She wanted to get back with her, she wanted it so bad and their agreement seemed to be in favor of this scenario. Yet, as months went by, Sooyoung quickly realized these words didn’t mean anything anymore. Jiwoo wasn’t looking for a girlfriend, Jiwoo wasn’t looking for Sooyoung, Jiwoo wanted Jungeun. Was it love or friendship ? Sooyoung had no idea what was happening between the two best friends, but she knew one thing : as time passed, her own spot in the girl’s life was growing smaller. How could they go from lovers to almost strangers in a few months ? That question would remain unanswered for a long time. 

Sooyoung wasn’t the kind of person to have a best friend, she was actually more of a solitary person. The only person she’d ever let have a real superior spot in her heart was a girlfriend, but although she did have several of them, none actually deserved it she thought. None of them except Jiwoo, and she swore letting her getting that special spot was her biggest mistake. 

 

 

It might have been a hard time for Sooyoung, but it was worse for Jinsol. At least, Sooyoung was used to being alone, to being no one’s first choice, but Jinsol wasn’t used to that. The blondie needed to feel loved and to love others, but only loving others without receiving it back took her down. She still had Yerim, right ? Luckily the girl was still there for her, she’d always hold her hand, tell her about everything that happened to her, she’d always care for Jinsol, until the day Sooyoung’s cousin named Chaewon, and Hyejoo joined the club. 

At first, Jinsol didn’t mind. Yerim and Hyejoo were in the same class, it was normal for them to share things together. But it started feeling wrong when the young girl would hold Hyejoo’s hand instead of hers, when she wasn’t the one she’d count her day to anymore. When they had a meeting, Yerim wouldn’t jump in Jinsol’s arms, but in Hyejoo’s instead, and Jinsol swore she couldn’t feel more alone than at that one moment. 

Unfortunately, the hurt in Jinsol’s eyes was too hard to hide, and only one person is the room noticed this. The others were too busy joking around, but sharing the same kind of sadness had made Sooyoung more observent, and this kind of detail wouldn’t go unspotted. The raven haired girl wasn’t dumb nor was she blind. She had seen how Jinsol would react whenever Jungeun and Jiwoo had a moment, and now she could see the despair in her eyes as she was watching her younger friend slowly drifting away from her. 

 

 

Sooyoung didn’t know how to comfort anyone. She didn’t know what to say to make people feel better, nor what to do. Should she hug her or simply offer her some candies that were waiting to be eaten ? All she could manage to do to get the girl’s attention away from the young girl was asking her something out of nowhere.

As it was quite hard to hear anything when all the girls were together, Sooyoung leaned closer to the blondie, laying her hand on the latter’s shoulder so that she wouldn’t fall on her. being inches away from Jinsol’s ear, she could then be heard clearly. 

 

«  So uhm, I need someone to help me with a choreography, could you do that ? You just need to tell me if it looks good. »  

 

Sooyoung’s warm breathe against her skin caused the girl to slightly shiver before she eventually turned her head to meet the brunette’s gaze. Perhaps her face was way too close to hers, and that was what might have caused the rush of hot blood into her cheeks. It took a few seconds for Jinsol to answer to that simple question with a rather simple sentence, and while the brunette was waiting, she could obviously observe the sudden reddish color of the blondie’s skin. 

 

«  Yeah, of course. »

 

Sooyoung might have been insecure about her skills in comforting people or just helping them, but she had just done the impossible without knowing it : she made Jinsol feel special for a moment.