4.

I'm No One's Favorite

Anyone could see that Jinsol was feeling way better these days. She still hadn’t regained her full bubbly self, but it was a great beginning. Sooyoung had had a great impact on the girl’s feelings, and she still was very thankful for that. She knew that if it wasn’t for Sooyoung, she’d still be struggling with her poor life. Yet, a great beginning didn’t mean that she was out of trouble, and she felt it all comeback to her when Jungeun turned down on their annual birthday hang out without any reason. The club had met once again in the library of Heejin’s uncle, it was never crowded and as always, no one would enter at night, which let the entire place free for the girls. In order not to ruin the mood, Jinsol had decided to isolate herself on the 2nd floor, sitting on the window sill as she’d silently stare at the night sky, lost in her thoughts and sadness. 

 

Sooyoung had just arrived when she noticed Jinsol was missing. Knowing she was the last one, just like any other reunion of the club since she’d overwork herself at the dance studio, she directly asked the closest person from her, Haseul, where she could have gone. 

« She went upstairs, I think ! » 

Just like always, Haseul would always keep an eye on her daughters like any other mom, and it had always been one of the most touching thing in the group. When she heard the girl’s words, Sooyoung quickly put her bag in a corner of the room and, with the same speed, she followed the blondie’s steps, leading her to her exact location. 

 

It did not seem good. Jinsol alone in a dark room, looking through the window, her friend knew her too well to know that it wasn’t out of simple admiration for the stars. 

«  What’s up, buddy ? » 

She asked as she walked over to the same window sill where she sat to keep the girl company. The brunette’s voice got Jinsol out of her thoughts, making her smile slightly as she turned her head to see the beautiful creature that had just arrived. 

« Not much, same as usual you know. » 

Although her words wouldn’t let the girl think that anything had happened, the tone of her voice meant the entire opposite. Sooyoung cutely tilted her head to the left to look at the blondie’s face, raising her eyebrows as she asked again.

« You sure ? » 

Jinsol couldn’t even keep her eyes locked with Sooyoung’s, either she’d look elsewhere or she’d tell the truth, and perhaps it was the right time to do so. Her voice became way more low as she straightened her back, looking down at her feet. 

« Actually.. you know we have that tradition of going to the drive-in theater with Jungeun for my birthday because it always happen to be the day they play Grease and you know how much I love that movie. Anyway, she told me she couldn’t make it this year and honestly, it hurts so much.. » 

Of course, Sooyoung couldn’t help it but being heartbroken. The girl at her side looked so vulnerable, so hurt, and she definitely didn’t deserve that. After a few seconds, the oldest reached out gently to her friend’s hand and slowly squeezed it while smiling softly at her. 

« I know you’d rather have Jungeun going there with you, and I’m not trying to replace her or whatever, it’s your own tradition, but if you ever want to see that movie with someone else I’d be really happy to be that person. » 

It sounded a bit whipped, but who cared ? Sooyoung really wanted to do anything that could ease the girl’s pain, and seeing a movie with her was a very pleasing way of doing so. Slowly, Jinsol looked up to Sooyoung with a brand new smile on her face, a shy one, a killer one, and Sooyoung swore she saw an angel at that one moment. 

« I guess seeing it in your old car would make it even better. » 

« Of course it would ! And it’s not an old car, it’s a classic one ! » 

 

The mood was way more light than it was a few minutes before with both the girls just laughing together as they’d joke about the brunette’s car. Yet, the atmosphere went back to being calm and Jinsol felt the need, at that right moment, to tell everything to Sooyoung. 

« There might be more to this.. » 

It was hard to put words on this since she had never talked about what had been consuming her for so many months, yet, she really wanted to tell Sooyoung about it. She then took a deep breath and went on.

« You remember that one reunion when you asked me to monitor you ? During that night, the girls had the great idea of doing a « who’s your best friend in the group » and you know how no one picked me although I’ve been so close to Jungeun and Yerim for so long yet they’d choose someone else ? That hurt me a lot.. I really considered them my best friends, and they just kept going farther from me.. For real, both of them have been doing this for months now and everything changed so much between us. I truly am no one’s favorite… » 

Sooyoung knew that something was bothering the blonde girl, but she wouldn’t have imagined her own friends would be the cause of her sadness. Once again, she found herself totally helpless as she needed to cheer the girl up but didn’t know how to do so, so she did whatever went through her mind. Smoothly, the oldest let go of the girl’s hand only to put her arm around her and offer her a warm embrace as she tried to comfort her.

« Actually, no one picked me as well, not even my own cousin..! »  The last part of the sentence caused the girl to laugh, followed by her friend’s laughter. It was a good move. «  What I mean is, Jinsol, you are an amazing person and it’s their loss if you aren’t their favorite person. Look at you, the cutest of them all, top 10 of the best students, incredible dancer, so funny, a hottie also ! And… since none of us is anyone’s favorite, let’s be each other’s favorite person in the world, agree ? » 

It might seem crazy, but no one had ever told anything like that to Jinsol. These simple words, no one had bothered to tell them to Jinsol, and this might have been why the girl was so insecure about herself. The purest smile had slowly grown on the blondie’s lips as her heart suddenly bursted at the end of her friend’s speech. Of course she’d love to be Sooyoung’s favorite person. Jungeun and Yerim still had an important place in her life, although her own place in their lives was questionable, but these past weeks spent with the brunette had been incredible, she hadn’t felt that good for so long and she definitely already had a special spot in her heart dedicated to Sooyoung, a superior spot for her, she just hadn’t told her yet. 

« Let’s be each other’s favorite person in the world. » She repeated, gaze piercing through Sooyoung’s eyes although the room was quite dark at that moment with only the lights from the outside and downstairs lighting the space. Actually, the darkest place wouldn’t have stopped Jinsol from finding that gleaming look of hers. 

 

Jinsol eventually opened up more to Sooyoung that night. She told her how she had fallen in love with Jungeun way before both of them even joined the club, how they’d be inseparable and how their friendship started falling apart when Jiwoo came back, how Yerim then followed Jungeun’s steps. Sooyoung would simply listen to her story while holding her in her arms, and it sure was what Jinsol needed the most.