3.

I'm No One's Favorite

A few days after the late night reunion of the group, Jinsol went to the dance studio to offer Sooyung her help. Although the idea of eventually helping someone had a great impact on the girl, she couldn’t help but feeling like she shouldn’t get too happy about this. The blondie had the bad habit of taking everything way too seriously, and each time she’d get too attached to anything it would be a disaster, but not this time she told herself. 

 

Sooyoung was already working on her choreography when Jinsol entered the room, and regardless of her current state of exhaustion due to the exercises, she could clearly see that something about the girl was off once again, but decided to brush it off. As if she had seen nothing, the tall girl greeted her friend with the hugest smile she could offer before rushing to her and wrapping one of her arm around the girl. 

« Ready to monitor me, Miss Jung ? » 

« Yeah, always ! But I can’t stay for too long, I need to work on the mathematics test we have next week. » 

Though Sooyoung would have loved the younger one to stay longer than what was planned, she was already satisfied for she had succeeded in snatching her a smile when she, all of a sudden, pinched slightly the tip of her perfect little nose. Sooyoung might look like an impassable wall with hardly no emotions, but she truly was just a softy on the inside, she just struggled a little bit with it. 

 

Against Jinsol’s thoughts, the next hour was resentment-free. No Jungeun, no Jiwoo, no Yerim, it was just her and Sooyoung and it actually felt great. As she watched the goddess dance in front of her, putting her entire soul into it, the thought of the greatness of the time spent together eventually emerged and the atmosphere became all of a sudden way more ponderous. 

Of course it was awesome to spend time with Soo, but what if she got too used to this ? What if Sooyoung eventually dropped her like the others did ? Jungeun and Yerim were her dance buddies before they let her alone, they also used to make her smile like Sooyoung would. It was way too dangerous for the girl, and the thought of losing anyone else was too frightening to even try. 

 

Jinsol had been silent for a long moment now, but too into her dance, Sooyoung couldn’t see that the girl was actually lost in space. She only noticed the younger’s look when she eventually took a break. She was taken aback at first, the minutes before were actually sweet, so how could the atmosphere drop that way ? Slowly, she approached the blondie and sat right in front of her, scanning her angelic face as she ran her hand on the girl’s knee before shaking it slightly. The gesture eventually shook the girl off her thoughts and as if it was nothing, she simply smiled. 

«  You were amazing, Sooyoung. » 

She said with her soft voice. She could try to fake it, Sooyoung still wasn’t blind and knew something was bothering the girl, seeing the pain in her hazel eyes. 

« Everything’s fine ‘Sol ? » 

«  Why wouldn’t it be ? »

Sooyoung didn’t like to push people into talking about things they might want to keep to themselves, so she just accepted the girl’s answer with a gentle smile, and Jinsol was thankful for that, she really wouldn’t have had the strength to talk about everything that was bothering her, although her friend would have certainly been a great listener. Jinsol found it crazy how the silence that had filled the room right after these words felt good. She’d just smile while her head would rest against the large mirror that was standing on the wall behind her, simply enjoying her friend’s presence as well as her touch since her hand was still laying on her knee. It could seem dumb, but it actually meant a lot to Jinsol since she’d then know that in some way, her friend was still holding onto her. 

 

« You’re sure you want to spend the next hours into mathematics books ? ‘Cause I’m craving bubble tea and I’m sure it’s way more pleasant. »

Sooyoung’s desperate attempt to spend more time with Jinsol had absolutely no chances actually, but as the brunette saw a kind of hesitation in the girl’s eyes, she tried to be more persuasive. 

« It’s on me, a payback for the monitoring ! Come on, you can’t leave Soo’ all by herself with her miserable bubble tea. » 

Sooyoung needn't have pouted right after her sentence for her simple words had already convinced the blonde girl, yet, Jinsol swore that seeing the girl acting all bubbly was one of the best things on earth.

« Screw mathematics, let’s get those bubble tea ! » 

 

 

Time had passed so fast, the sun was already setting, and the hot May breeze was the most soothing of them all. Jinsol was thankful, Sooyoung had done a lot for her for these past few hours, and she hadn’t felt that way for several months now. Both of them sitting on a bench in a quiet park not far from their respective homes, they’d just enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of both the nature and their growing friendship. 

«  Thanks for.. all this. I think I really needed it. » 

The brunette’s gaze slowly slid from the nature view to the other view, just as beautiful, observing the girl’s profile as the latter was still watching the magnificence of the park. 

«  For the bubble tea and the park ? »  

Her answer was tinted with amusement and teasing. She knew what Jinsol meant was way deeper than that, but a little bit of joking was always appreciable. In response to her careless answer, Jinsol simply laughed before punching her shoulder. 

«  Don’t ruin everything ! » She exclaimed while still laughing. It took a few seconds for both of them to calm down, so when they were eventually back to their calm selves, Jinsol went on. «  I haven’t.. shared that kind of moment with anyone since a long time now. It means a lot to me. » 

Sooyoung knew that Jinsol wasn’t the strongest person in the world. She’d often hide what she was feeling, but she couldn’t hide the look in her eyes whenever she felt down. She sure felt that something was bothering the younger, and only after an afternoon spent together she’d already open up to her. After all, perhaps she did knew how to comfort one person. 

« You can always count on me, blondie. I’d love to do more of these things with you. »  

As she spoke, the tall raven haired girl slid on the bench to get closer to her friend and gently surrounded her shoulders with her arm. If she hadn’t spent any time like that with a friend in the past months, it was no mystery that she did not get any affection either, and honestly, Jinsol really needed this as well, which explained her sudden shy smile as she leaned her head against the girl’s shoulder. Sooyoung was indeed giving her everything the girl was missing.