Seven

Honey Bun

brrrring brrrring…. 

brrrring…*click  

“Heelow?” Heejin was taking a nap on her couch when her phone had suddenly woken her up from her peace. Wiping off the slobber on her face she holds it out from her ear when there’s screaming on the other line. Blinking her eyes back closed she thinks that she can just hang out and go back to sleep. Whatever Jiwoo needed could wait a little longer right?

Dropping the phone to the floor she turns her body and wraps the coat around her body tighter. It smelled just like Hyunjin and it gave the same warmth as her touch. Heejin would never give this coat back, the basketball player would have to pry it from her.  

Wait…Hyunjin’s a basketball player.  

And that means…

Heejin bolts up forgetting about the dream that was starting to fill her mind. Grabbing her phone from the floor she checks the time and notices the bazillion texts Jiwoo has sent her.  

[Jiwomanizer]: BALLS

[Jiwomanizer]: GIRLS 

[Jiwomanizer]: BALLS AND GIRLS

[Jiwomanizer]: WHERE THE FREAK ARE YOU?

[Jiwomanizer]: HEEJIN THE GIRLS WITH BALLS…THEY’RE STARTING.  

“Mother of pearl the basketball game!” Heejin had about nine minutes to sprint to the game before it started. Fumbling off the couch she tells her mom bye and gives her dad a quick kiss on the cheek who was eating a donut from the fridge. Her little brother flips her off as she’s putting her shoes on so she ends up throwing her mom’s slipper at him for payback.

Once she’s out of the gates of her home she quickens her pace from a slow jog to a full-on sprint. She had to be there for Hyunjin. Heejin was her number one fan after all. And what kinda fan would she be if she were to be late to the all-star’s game.  

The girl has never ran so hard in her life. Not even that time Jiwoo had a balloon full of mayonnaise, for unknown reasons, and was aiming it at her face. This was important to her. Hyunjin was important to her. It takes her a total of eleven minutes to sprint to the school. Still late…barely, she hopes they are still warming up.

Jiwoo is standing at the entrance pacing back and forth with a hand stuck to her forehead. Heejin wants to laugh but the burning in her lungs prevent her to do so. Trying to call for the girl her name comes out in pants and her overdramatic friend notices her finally and comes bulldozing over.

Heejin wheezes when her shoulders are grabbed and shaken. The girl spitting in her face as she yells at her, “where have you been! I thought I was going have to sit on the benches with Chae and Yeojin and trust me the ball girls stink so much I do-.” Heejin clamps a hand on the running mouth. She needs to catch her breath before replying to Jiwoo but the girl wasn’t giving her a chance. Jiwoo seems to not notice that she’s dying due to the lack of oxygen and pulls on the letterman jacket.

She’s dragged into the gymnasium gasping for air still and she stumbles up the bleachers mostly she’s pulled up them. Heejin wants to cry in relief when she finally sits down, catching up with deep breaths and a few coughs. The gym is way too hot and a tad bit crowded. Taking off the jacket she sits it down on her lap to cool off. 

Thankfully the teams are still in their locker rooms, she would get to watch every second of the game. “Wow, we made it right on time huh?” Heejin only nods, too exhausted to form words. She needed to save her energy to scream for Hyunjin every time she scored a bucket. “Can you believe Jungeun ditched us? She said she was getting ice cream with Haseul…what happened to bros before hoes.” 

Heejin didn’t actually notice Jungeun missing. Suddenly realizing there’s not someone nagging in her right ear about the stuffiness of the crowd and about how stupid Ha Sooyoung is. Narrowing her eyes she thinks of how she’ll give her friend a piece of her mind. How could she just take Haseul back that easy?  

The crowd starts to stand and cheer, blocking Heejin’s view. The speakers in the gym start to blast out the school's favorite song. The Space Jam theme song. It’s always played when the players came out of the locker room and Heejin could help but dance along to the beat every time. Standing up she panics when a tall man is in front of her blocking her view. 

Jiwoo’s view is also blocked because the man beside them is just as tall. Heejin steps up onto the bleachers and stretches as far as she can. Hyunjin is down on the court waving at people with a straight face. Heejin starts to yell as loud as she can waving her arms in the air as best as she can to get the girl’s attention. 

Eyes scan the crowd as if she’s searching for someone. Her frown gets more apparent since she doesn’t find what she’s looking for. Heejin screams one last time before the girl turns around. 

Kim Hyunjin’s shoulders jump a bit and instantly she finds her. Right smack in the middle of everyone. The frown slowly upturns in a smile. Heejin is swooning as her star athlete shines, a wink and a smile just for her. About to touch the sky from jumping up and down she slips on the bleacher. Not everyone is agile as Kim Hyunjin. 

Heejin tries to keep her balance by swaying back and forth, “woah...WAA JIWOO!” The red-headed girl is eating some popcorn chatting to the guy in front of her not noticing her friends appending doom…maybe even death. Heejin actually becomes stable and sighs out in relief. Thank god she didn’t fall that would have been embarrassing.  

The girl had totally jinx herself because as soon as she thought she was in the clear someone behind accidentally bumped her sending her down the bleachers. Everyone around takes a step back from the girl now laying on top of the bleachers. Heejin doesn’t know which worse, the embarrassment or the excessive pounding in her head. 

 Lifting herself up the whole gymnasium spins and she can hear muffled voices around her. Until a crystal clear whisper breaks into the static caused by the injury. The girl blinks and raises her head. Hyunjin is above her waving her hands frantically. She can’t help but smile at the basketball player, her ears are poking out due to her hair being pulled back into a high ponytail. Hyunjin looked undeniably cute…and also very concerned. She can tell her lips are moving but her ears are ringing so much that she can’t understand the words.

Suddenly she’s lifted in the air and into strong arms. Heejin is pretty dumbfounded but still, the fuzziness in her hand makes it seem okay to squeal and kick her legs around. She wraps her arms around the basketball player’s neck and hums at how nice it is. The girl’s embrace feels like a warm blanket and all she wants to do is snuggle in.

Her head starts to become clearer and that’s when she realizes that she has her face buried in Kim Hyunjin’s chest. Too embarrassed to pull away she focuses on the sounds around her. A steady heartbeat, squeaky sneakers and a friendly voice that sounds awfully familiar to nurse Irene’s. “Come on follow me to my office.” 

Yeah, that’s definitely Miss Bae’s voice. The sounds of the gymnasium become distant as the clicks of heels and the soft padding down the hall become more apparent. “You know I’m usually patching you up after a game, not a student in the crowd it was nice of you to go get her.” Heejin still hasn’t brought her face from Hyunjin’s chest. She’s too afraid that she might have a knot on her head. 

“She’s a good friend of mine.” Heejin just wants to scream out in happiness at Hyunjin’s soft voice but instead, she just pushes her face into the jersey further.  

“HEEEEYYYY WAIT UP!” The walking stops and the clicks of heels stumble. That voice she would never have trouble recognizing. The girl starts talking a mile a minute and the walking continues with an additional voice. It only takes a few moments longer until they reach the nurse's office.

Heejin clings onto the strong shoulders not really wanting to let go. But to avoid embarrassment and suspicion she slides her hands down to Hyunjin’s chest as she sits her down on a padded white bed. The fluorescent lights are a lot to handle so she squints her eyes closed to look at the three surrounding her.

Miss Bae waves her finger back and forth and by instinct, Heejin follows, “hmm yeah she can still focus that’s a good sign.” Jiwoo then starts to wave her hands all about causing Heejin to giggle at her friend. That’s when she knows something is wrong. 

Jiwoo quickly puts back down her hand, “oh god.”

Hyunjin is trying to contain a laugh and Miss Bae looks defeated. Heejin frantically looks between them begging them to tell her what’s wrong. Jiwoo slowly pulls out her phone and lifts it into view. Heejin grabs it and flips the camera around.

The scream she lets out echo’s through the room and probably through the hallways as well. Dropping the phone she puts a finger in , feeling around for her now chipped tooth. Maybe the camera was playing tricks on her but as soon as she feels the sharp edge and throbbing pain, the tears start to flow freely. 

At the site of the crying girl all three surrounding her pounce. Each having a hold of one limb to comfort her. Jiwoo has a hold of her injured head, kissing and patting on it. Hyunjin is squeezing her hand in her own and Miss Bae is rubbing up and down her calf muscle. Just when Heejin thought it couldn’t get any worse the buzzer in the gym goes off and that means the game is about to start. 

Hyunjin apologizes and with hesitation brings her hand out of Heejin’s tight grasp. She had a chipped tooth and now she was going to miss some of the game. From this day on she was going to have some personal vendetta against tall people.

“Let’s get you feeling better so you can go support your friend okay Jeon?” The girl sniffles and opens her tear-filled eyes to nod at Miss Bae. Jiwoo lets go of her head to take a hold of her hand instead as Miss Bae gives her some medicine and a note to visit the dentist for her chipped tooth.

Heejin rests for a while, trying to ignore the pounding in her head and the pounding in her heart. Hyunjin had personally rescued her and she couldn’t get the feeling of being in her arms to go away. She wanted to stay there.  

Thinking she was well enough to go watch the game she informs Jiwoo that she’s ready. Her friend helps her up and throws her arm over her shoulder to drag her out into the halls. Heejin smiles but becomes self-conscious when Jiwoo stares at a particular spot. Heejin clears before speaking, “you know I can walk by myself I’m not a wounded soldier.” 

Jiwoo rolls her eyes and throws her off. Heejin stumbles while laughing at her friend but then again shuts up when Jiwoo’s eyes widen at the site. “It’s really that bad huh?” 

“Yeah,” Jiwoo says calmly. Something she rarely does.

They open up the doors to the gym and instantly all the sounds and heat hit them. Heejin scurries off to the corner to watch while Jiwoo stands next to the cheerleaders to flirt with them casually. There are only several minutes left to the game and Heejin is disappointed that she missed most of it due to her clumsiness.

Of course, their team is ahead by 11 points, probably most of Hyunjin’s and some by Sooyoung. Heejin can feel how intense the game still is though, by standing down on the floor rather than the bleachers and gasps every time the players stomp down the floor. Sneakers squeak and there’s plenty of yelling from the cheerleaders and ballplayers themselves. 

It’s a struggle for Heejin to keep up with Hyunjin since the girl is so quick. The point guard is at the top dribbling back and forth. When she least expects it the star player locks eyes with her and winks. Heejin blushes red and her heart goes into overdrive. She pays close attention to the girl and anticipates the play.   

Hyunjin stands straight up mocking the girl on defense. When the offending player gets too close Hyunjin does a dribble move so complicated the girl falls to the floor. Heejin thinks for a moment what was that called? Breaking their ankles? Hyunjin laughs and zooms past the falling player to drive it to the basket laying it perfectly in without any trouble.

The girl then looks back at Heejin and mouths a word, easy. Heejin gives her a closed mouth smile. She’s never seen Hyunjin so cocky. The way her body is warm by the action she can say that she finds the girl’s attitude…

“HOT, man it’s so flipping hot in here!” Heejin jumps out of her skin when her friend appears next to her. Heejin agrees and goes back to watching the game. The remaining time it’s just Hyunjin scoring bucket after bucket and every time she does Heejin receives some type of gesture.

A wink.

A smile.

A small nod.

Every one of them drives her crazier and crazier. 

The buzzer goes off again and the crowd cheers. All the ballplayers high five each other and head to the locker room except for Hyunjin who runs over to Heejin in the corner, trying to step out of the way of everyone trying to get out. The taller girl pushes her further back into the corner and looks down into glossy eyes.

The girl’s mouth is slightly open and the chipped tooth is in view. Heejin doesn’t even realize until Hyunjin speaks out, “cute…I kinda like the new grill, adds character.” She blushes and pushes the ball player away both of giggling for no reason. 

Hyunjin then suddenly becomes shy as she wipes some of the sweat off her face, “Um Heejin will you wait for me until I’m done in the locker room?” Heejin shakes her head. What kind of question was that?

“Of course I’ll wait.” Hyunjin then gives her a wide smile and heads off to join the other players. Heejin should probably tell Jiwoo that they have an additional person walking with him but once she turns to tell her friend she’s gone again. She’s actually across the gymnasium with some cheerleader under her arm and Heejin thinks that maybe her friend will be fine if she wanders off with Hyunjin.

Sitting on one of the bleachers she waits for Hyunjin and watches the crowd slowly disappear until there are only a few people left. Soon enough the ballplayers come out one by one and Heejin stands up. She’s so excited to talk to Hyunjin outside of school. What if she’s different? What if she’s flirtatious like she was at lunch earlier?

The player comes out last with some sweats and a hoodie on. Her hair pulled into a messy bun. Heejin smiles and the girl smiles back. Not even paying attention to her chipped tooth. Heejin is about to say something until she’s wrapped in strong arms the second time that night. Heejin instantly reciprocates the hug throwing her arms around Hyunjin’s shoulders. The taller girl giggles and whispers out against the side of her face, “thank you for coming.”

Heejin swoons at the soft voice and pulls her closer. She squeals when the basketball player lifts her up and squeezes her harder. Heejin is still giggling once she’s put down and Hyunjin pulls away. “I can walk you home right?” Heejin nods and then Hyunjin turns and bends down a little. “Actually can I carry you home?” Heejin stares at the athlete grinning at her with her arms ready.

She hesitates, what if she’s too heavy? “Aren’t you tired?” Hyunjin rolls her eyes and persuades Heejin to crawl on. The last thing she expected was to receive a piggyback ride from Hyunjin. Heejin crawls on and tightly holds onto the girl’s shoulders as she’s lifted up and packed out of the gym. 

“Hmm, not as heavy as I thought.” Heejin pinches Hyunjin’s shoulder receiving a laugh in response. Snuggling her face in beside Hyunjin’s she congratulates the player on her win and tells her how good she really is at the sport. Hyunjin kicks the door open to the outside and the sun has yet to go down. It was dark but there was still a slight orange glow to the horizon. 

“Did I look cool?” Heejin hums at the question. She could play around with the girl but she decides to tell her honestly.

Swinging her legs she answers, “more than just cool you were amazing.” She wishes she could see the girl’s face. Hyunjin just mutters out thanks and continues to pack the girl home. They talk about nonsense the rest of the way. About the game and about Heejin’s new tooth. About the situation at lunch between the school’s heartthrob and the student council member.  

It was nice. 

Hyunjin pretends to drop Heejin a couple of times only to bring her right back up with no effort. It provokes a few slaps to her shoulder but she doesn’t mind since Heejin always ends up laughing. It was warm outside and the crickets were starting to chirp once they were almost to Heejin’s home.

Once they’re in front of the wall to her place Hyunjin sits her down onto the ground and turns to face her. Heejin doesn’t know whether to be star-struck or lovesick. The sun is finally down and the only light around them is the buzzing street lamp above. It provides a soft light that makes Hyunjin’s features even more alluring. 

They stare at each other forever just taking in each other’s appearance. Like it would be the last time they would ever see each other. But really it was only for tonight. Heejin though never wanted to forget. How Hyunjin looked under the barely functioning light. Hyunjin breaks the silence, “can I get a kiss for how well I played?” 

Heejin’s eyes go wide and she backs away. Panic sets in her blood until Hyunjin leans over and taps at her cheek. It’s a relief really, because if Hyunjin wanted a real kiss then she might have passed out right on the spot. With hesitation, Heejin leans forward and ghosts her lips on the soft skin before pulling back slowly.

Hyunjin has her eyes closed but there’s a big smile on her face. Like she loved the feeling of Heejin’s lips. “Thank you…I think I’ll never wash this cheek again.” Heejin really is about to pass out until Hyunjin catches her pulling her phone out her pocket in the process. 

Heejin is in a daze as Hyunjin plays on her own phone. She doesn’t even mind if her privacy is being invaded. All she can think about is how soft Hyunjin’s cheek is and the comment made after. God this all had to mean something right? She was so in love and it had to be obvious. Especially with how loud her heart was thumping right now.

Hyunjin shoves the phone back into her pocket and winks before backing away, “I put my phone number in.” 

Heejin nods.

“So I hope you text me.” She watches as Hyunjin furrows her brows and pouts.

Heejin nods quicker.

“Goodnight,” Hyunjin says in a sing-song voice before turning around.

Jeon Heejin.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me ending chapters of the person’s name in italics