Two

Honey Bun

2 years later.

Snap 

Snap 

Snap

 Heejin finally blinks out of her daydream and focuses on the snapping fingers right between her eyes. She watches as they falter when the girl beside her realizes she’s got her attention again. Heejin grumbles as her chin is pulled to the side so she has to look at the brightness now closely studying her.

“You sure are not a morning person it’s like I’m dealing with a four-year-old.” Heejin rolls her eyes at Jiwoo her longtime friend as she giggles and ruffles her bed head. She doesn’t understand how someone who could be at such a high energy at all times. Especially when they don’t sleep. “I skipped breakfast okay? And how many hours did you get last night huh?” She tilts her head to add a little sass but it doesn’t faze her friend at all. Really it just encourages her to be louder. 

Jiwoo smiles wildly and gives her a thumbs up, “a total of two hours I feel completely refreshed!” Heejin lets her jaw fall open as she watches the girl peel a banana and stuffs with half of it. Thinking she’s safe from conversation right now she lays her head back onto the bus seat to try and get some rest before her first day of classes. Her eyes break back open when she hears the mumbled but still high pitched voice right next to her ear, “are you exphi- holph on.” 

The girl turns her head to watch Jiwoo chew her banana up trying to swallow but ends up choking on it. Half of the bus’s passengers turn their head to the commotion in the back with a gagging girl getting beat on the back by another. Jiwoo eventually swallows it down when Heejin frantically gives her some water chugging the whole thing down taking the last drop with a satisfied noise.

Watching in horror Jiwoo tries to take the other half of the banana in but Heejin smacks it out of her hand before she does. The girl pouts and whines loudly, looking at Heejin with puppy-like eyes, “HEEJIN-AH MY BREAKFAST.” Putting her finger in her ear to prevent damage she tries to calm Jiwoo down by bringing the honey bun out of her bag to give it to the mega-phone beside her. Instantly the girl stops her crying and starts to hum as she opens the package. 

Heejin grabs her wrist before she puts the whole thing in , “small bites please…” Jiwoo surprisingly listens and nibbles on the sweet snack. The rest of the ride they talk about their excitement and fears for the new school year. Jiwoo doesn’t have many concerns but Heejin only worries about one thing. 

Hyunjin.

The bus rolls to a stop and the girls get out to find a brunette waiting for them. Heejin giggles as Jiwoo tackles the girl, crawling over top of her in a non-consensual piggyback ride. She watches the girls wrestle for a bit mostly Jiwoo winning and the other one screaming for help but Heejin doesn’t do anything continuing the walk to school. Soon enough she hears the pitter patter of feet behind her and Jiwoo joins her on one side with Jungeun on the other.

Heejin turns her head to Jungeun and snorts when she sees her hair sticking up. She takes her hand and pats down on her head only receiving a grumble in response. Walking up onto the courtyard the nerves start to bubble in Heejin’s stomach. She’s doesn’t like school that much and would much rather be at home doodling or just watching TV. There is one thing she likes about school though besides her two friends bumping into her on purpose making her some sort of tennis ball while their shoulders act as the racks. 

Hyunjin.

She convinces herself it’s a silly crush. ‘A silly crush you’ve had for two years.’ There was just something weird about Hyunjin that Heejin was drawn to. The girl had never said anything to her but Heejin felt like Hyunjin saw right through her the first day she had ever laid eyes on her. It was like they knew each other but were complete strangers at the same time. Heejin kept count on how many times they would lock eyes throughout the years and how weirdly close she felt to Hyunjin when they did. As if she knew exactly what Heejin was thinking.    

“Ah absolutely love high school look over there.” Heejin is thrown out of her usual Hyunjin daze and focuses where Jungeun is referring to. She grimaces as Jiwoo squeals. It’s Ha Sooyoung making out with Jo Haseul, two of the most popular girls in school. Both on two different spectrums of popularity though. Heejin frowns as she watches Jungeun’s eyes darken and sadden and goes to rub at her back while Jiwoo blocks her view. Heejin didn’t exactly like Haseul since she’s played with her friend's heart multiple times but what could she say when Jungeun kept going back to her.

Pulling their friend from the disaster they walk into the hallways and to their respective lockers. Jungeun is still looking bummed from the sight earlier, “god, of course, that’s the first ing thing I see.” Heejin frowns getting her books from her locker, “language Lippie.” Putting the books in her bag she lifts it up and over her shoulder. She didn’t like going to her locker between every period, unlike her friends. Heejin gives Jungeun a pointed look, “Just ignore it, for now, you’ll find someone that actually deserves you.”   

Jiwoo nods and wraps her arm around the brunette, “yeah truck that hoe!” They look at the squeaky teen who is cheesing at the both of them. Noticing the disapproval Jiwoo removes her arm to scratch at the back of her neck. “Um well yeah, you’ll definitely find someone who deserves you Jungeun you’re amazing!” Heejin smiles as the brunette grimaces as she receives a cheek kiss. Joining on the fun she leans forward to also give her friend a kiss trying to cheer her up. 

Laughing she nudges the girl’s shoulder as she wipes at her cheeks vigorously with her ears tinting red. The first bell rings knocking them out of the fun they were just starting to have. Waving to her friends for a goodbye she rushes to her first class which was chemistry. Heejin was not excited for it but she needed one more science class to graduate. Hopping into the class she greets almost all the people already present. 

Everyone lights up waving and smiling back to her. She quickly let go of all the grudges and went back to her previous self. She also went back to having the status of being the friendliest girl in the school not really caring if the title was misleading since her only friends were Jungeun and Jiwoo. Ignoring the whispers both negative and positive she sits at a bench near the window but close to the front. Looking around she meets the gaze of a boy she doesn’t really know so she waves and smiles brightly at him. It takes everything in her not to roll her eyes when he blushes and looks away.

Why is she so smiley I feel like it’s fake.

Ah, Jeon Heejin is so pretty.  

Heard she was a under that smile.

Laying out her things sloppily she looks at the clock and sighs. This period would last fifty minutes and two periods after that there’s lunch and then af- “Hey is this seat taken?” Heejin jerks her gaze from the clock to the mystery boy. She’s surprised since he’s looking at her right in the eyes but she can still feel the nervousness radiating off of him. Heejin is about to say yes and please wanting to make friends to show all the people that like to talk that she is, in fact, the friendliest person in school.

Opening someone answers for her, “yeah it is.” It’s an airy tone and it sounds so familiar to-

Hyunjin.

The boy turns around to the tall figure who is messing with her nails. The girl looks up unimpressed. “Are you gonna move so I can sit in my seat or what?” He opens his mouth multiple times like a fish the same as Heejin is doing. She watches as Hyunjin shoves past the boy and sits right next to her. Heejin instantly blushes smelling the sweet perfume, staring at the girl’s side profile. The boy is about to protest his fist shaking but he gives up and sulks back to his previous seat.

Heejin is lost for words blinking at Hyunjin who in turn is funnily staring at her. The blush deepens when she tilts her head to study Heejin further. Turning in her seat she swallows the lump in . She’s so c-cute. Heejin wishes she wasn’t malfunctioning right now so she could possibly introduce herself hell even makes friends with her crush of two years but here she is shaking like an idiot staring a hole through her notebook. 

In the corner of her vision, she notices Hyunjin turning back around to face the front. Closing her eyes she counts to ten hoping to calm herself down and not make a fool in front of her dream girl. The first year of this mess was her figuring out her uality and coming in terms that her first crush was on another girl. The second year was her realizing that she’ll never be in the company of Kim Hyunjin. But here she was sitting very close to her.

Turning in her seat she observes the rest of the class and gasps when she sees the multiple open seats. When she jerks back around she jumps out of her seat when Hyunjin is staring at her again. Heejin loses every bit of her breath when Hyunjin leans closer to her with raised brows. She watches as the girl’s mouth moves but she can’t hear the pretty voice since her ears are ringing. Everything goes back to normal when her forehead is flicked. It was like someone pressed the reset button for her body.

All the malfunctions stop and she blinks out of her doom noticing that Hyunjin is asking her something, “Yo, do you have a pencil?” Heejin instantly nods and reaches into her bag to fetch the pencil. With shaky and sweaty hands she passes her the pencil. Hyunjin nods as thanks and then leans back over to ask her for yet another request, “Sorry do you have a sheet a paper too?” Heejin smiles starting to get more comfortable in her position. 

Sliding the paper on the desk she freezes when a hand is stuck out, “Thanks, I’m Hyunjin.” 

I know that because I might be in love with you

Heejin slowly puts her hand which is 10x smaller than Hyunjin’s and shakes it. Her heart is going into overdrive while she giggles like a madwoman as she rocks their hands up and down. Just when she thought it couldn’t get any worse the girl giggles along with Heejin and she notices the cute fang-like teeth she has when she smiles. 

Oh yeah I’m totally in love with you

Letting go of her hand she nods excitedly, “You’re welcome I’m-.”

“Jeon Heejin trust me I know.” Hyunjin smiles softly and turns back around to focus on the teacher who had just walked in. Heejin doesn’t think she’s ever been this happy and wants to jump for joy but her happiness is stunted when the final bell rings and the monotone teacher starts to drone out his introductions. Kim Hyunjin knows who she is and Heejin feels her chest swell up with thousands of butterflies.

The class goes by way too slowly for Heejin as she keeps glancing in Hyunjin’s direction smiling every time. This beautiful distraction is going to make her fail this class surely but it isn't like she cares. Thankfully the bell rings and everyone shoots up ignoring the teacher’s protests. Heejin is about to talk to her new friend with newfound confidence but the girl is already gone without a trace.

Looking down she notices the piece of paper she gave Hyunjin still there with a few notes written on it. Holding it up she reads over it quickly making sure she didn’t miss any notes that the other girl might have caught. Her eyes widen as she reads the words over and over again.

 Blah Blah What is he talking about. 

Something about atoms? What is a cation? Do cats have those…

Ah, Heejin am I ugly? You keep staring at me… and your hands are so sweaty…weird they're usually-

Holding onto the paper she brings it closer to try and read out the scribbled words but she can’t tell what they are.

It doesn’t matter though because this was definitely left on purpose and it totally meant that Hyunjin was noticing her.

All the sudden Heejin loved school.

Later in the day after school and after Heejin quickly said bye to her friends she starts to run. Sprinting really, on the way home. Dodging all the other students on their way back she runs and runs with a certain piece of paper clutched in her hand. She’s never felt this energized this before the adrenaline flowing through her. 

She’s so distracted that she runs past her house and skids on her feet to turn back around. Stepping inside and kicking her shoes off she runs past the kitchen, “hey sweetie- oh okay…” Heejin hears her mom and runs back down the steps and into the kitchen giving her a kiss before jolting off again, “hey mom school was great! Be safe at work!” Heejin runs back upstairs ignoring her mom who was trying to speak again as she ran off.

Closing her door and chucking her backpack somewhere in the corner she starts to jump up and down. It’s a full hour of her dancing in her room and playing loud music. But per usual Heejin gets tired quickly and lays back on her bed sprawled out and panting. The CD she was playing fizzles out as she replays the first period over and over again in her head like a dream. The rest of the day was a blur and she only can remember the toothy grin Hyunjin gave her when they were shaking hands. 

Heejin lets her breath even out at the memory and eventually, she falls asleep.

She’s dreaming of a certain someone when she’s woken up by a soft paw on her nose. Slowly letting her eyes flutter open she’s met with a familiar orange cat, “Honey!” Jolting awake she picks the cat up and twirls them around in the room. Hugging her close friend for the past two years she sits the cat down and goes to her desk to get the special food for the little creature. 

Heejin sneezes as she’s pouring the kibble in the small bowl and rocks on the heels of her feet. Turning back around she smiles noticing the cat already waiting for her in their usual spot on the floor. Honey Bun wasn’t her cat but every evening it would visit her and even sometimes stay the night snuggling close to Heejin’s side. 

She met Honey Bun the same time she did Hyunjin and really she couldn’t be more thankful for the small feline. Sitting down the bowl of food she sits right across from the cat munching down on the food. Although her friends didn’t know about her crush Honey Bun sure did. The cat has been there for her through the thick and thin of her high school years. From comforting her when she made a bad test grade to when she just wanted to talk about her day.

Many of their one-sided conversations were about her crush.

Smiling she tilts her head at the cat, “She talked to me today Honey Bun.” The cat stops eating to look up at Heejin with curious eyes. She’s never said her name before. Heejin has always kept it a mystery to Honey Bun but today she thinks she’ll tell the tiny cat her biggest secret.

Throwing her head back and sighing happily, “She talked to me…my crush for two years.”

Kim Hyunjin.” 

That night when Heejin was dead asleep with the cat tightly embraced in her arms she doesn’t notice when it squirms loose. Honey Bun crawls out of the warm arms and up to the slightly open window slipping out into the cool night. 

The cat runs for a distance and into an ally way checking if the coast is clear. Soon the cat is gone and instead, it’s a tall girl with sharp feline like features. The girl breathes harshly and swipes at her clothes standing straight up. 

at her sharp teeth she whispers out a name before wandering off into the dark, “Jeon Heejin.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi :D I hope this is okay…