Four

Honey Bun

Her paper was slammed down on the desk in front of her and then Hyunjin’s was slammed down as well. Heejin gulped and leaned forward gasping when she saw that she had flunked the first chemistry test, “whoops.” Hyunjin curious, leaned to the side to study Heejin’s test clapping when she saw the score, “good job Jeon you got twenty points higher than me.” The girl wasn’t really amused by her crushes antics but still, the praise had made her heart beat a little faster.

They were friends now or at least first-period buds. Outside of the class, it felt like they were strangers since Hyunjin wouldn’t even spare a glance in her direction. In class, though it was as if they had been childhood friends and could communicate without speaking. They still had the same routine, Hyunjin would walk in and Heejin would pull out her designated paper and pencil laying it on her side of the desk. The athlete would thank her and sit down.

 She liked the routine now since usually, Hyunjin would talk to her before class asking about her morning and what she had for dinner the night previously. Heejin was starting to realize that her crush was weird…really weird but that made her fall deeper for her. Still weird though, like the time Hyunjin had asked about her older sister. Who she never really talked about at school.  

Or the other tiny details that she knew about Heejin like the fact she could play guitar, or that she hated peanut butter or that she knew her mom’s name. Even though sometimes the things that Hyunjin said were borderline creepy Heejin didn’t really pay attention just feeling giddy that her crush knew so much about her. On the other hand, Heejin tried to learn about her crush but every time she would ask she would only get a vague response.   

Ah, I’ll have to get back to you on that

If Heejin was smiley before than she certainly was now. She would smile and wave at everyone even the kids that would talk so badly of her. She would skip down the hallways greeting and complimenting people whenever they would lock eyes with her. Sure some would give her a weird look and scoff at her bubbliness but most would smile back and wave even talking to her. People were starting to talk about her again, a lot actually.

Have you seen Jeon Heejin lately? She’s brighter than Kim Jiwoo.

Well, they are friends you know.

Maybe she’s smoking weed.

No Jeon Heejin isn’t like that…I think she’s in love.

Yeah, that was right. She was in love. With this girl that had an airy voice and the prettiest features. Heejin would often rest her head on her hand and stare at her. Especially her almond-shaped eyes that were so cat-like. The girl would giggle when Hyunjin would flick a paper wad at her scolding her in the process, “why are you staring at me creep.” The girl didn’t mind though because whenever Hyunjin would say that she would smile and blush. When Heejin would tell her it was because she’s pretty the blush would get deeper and the athlete would cheese so hard that her canines would poke out.

Heejin shakes herself out of her daze and leans over to look at her partner's test. She covers in a gasp when she sees a red mark on the top with the number three. Snatching the test she scans over the answers shaking her head when they’re just bad doodles of fruits. “Miss Kim this is unacceptable.” She says in a serious tone but Hyunjin doesn’t take it seriously at all, laughing at the girl who is pretending to scold her. The athlete plucks the paper back out of her hand crumbling the test up and throwing it in the trash that was far away. When she made it, a few boys in the back whooped and cheered for her and went back to playing cards. Turning back around she takes a strand of Heejin’s wavy hair twirling it in her fingers as she explains her poor test grade, “I’m the allstar of the school I only have to show up to pass.”

Heejin rolls her eyes and swats the girls hand away…only to bring it back again because she likes when Hyunjin plays with her hair. But that was a secret.

“That’s so arrogant though the least you could do is try.” Hyunjin shrugs at the soft tone and nods her head towards Heejin’s test score which was a twenty-three. “What’s your excuse?” The girl fumbles with her words not having an excuse to tell her crush. Also, the hand playing in her strands getting her sidetracked. She knew exactly the reason why. It was because when she was around Hyunjin she couldn’t focus on anything. The girl was too much of a distraction for Heejin to pay attention in class.

That was another thing weird about Hyunjin is the things she has done in class. One time Heejin was writing notes and had made a mistake so she took out an eraser to correct it. When she sat it back down on the desk she noticed a hand inching towards it. She had stopped listening to the professor droning on and watched closely as the hand nudged the eraser one bit at a time until it fell off the table. Heejin immediately went to pick it up.

When she laid is back on the surface it stayed for a moment. Until the girl started nudging it off again. Heejin picked it up at least three times before giving up and left it on the ground. She doesn’t know if her crush was teasing her or was just that bored. She waited a few moments and then went to pick it back up again but this time she was going to watch Hyunjin’s face. Heejin was genuinely confused as she watched the girls pupils dilate at the site of the eraser. Heejin kept quiet when the girl jerked forward bit by bit until the eraser was being pushed off the table once again.

Another time was when Heejin was practicing a bad habit of hers. She had her chair balanced on the back wobbling back and forth while she had a hold on her desk. She always would do this and then get in trouble when teachers told her she would end up falling back and crack her head open like an egg. Heejin would never listen because she had great balance and it was fun. But today she was proven wrong when she lost her balance and started falling back.

Her savior though Hyunjin with cat-like abilities swiftly caught her before her demise and leaned her back up to safety. She only muttered out thanks and watched the girl go back to doing her chemistry worksheet. Heejin wanted to be saved again so she went back to doing the thing that almost got her killed. Before she could even lean back Hyunjin had reached over and set Heejin back balanced to the ground. Heejin had kept shut because after that time the athlete had given her a bold look that wasn’t so friendly.

The weirdest thing though…while also being the cutest was when Heejin wore a frilly shirt. As she was telling an exciting story to Hyunjin she was moving her hands around in an exaggerated manner. Heejin had soon noticed though that the girl wasn’t paying attention to her story, but her sleeves instead. When she moved her hand to the side Hyunjin’s eyes would follow. When she would move it down or up Hyunjin would tilt her head along with it. Finally, Heejin just played with the athlete swinging her sleeves around while the girl would swat every now and then.

Heejin had come to the conclusion that Hyunjin was very weird…like a cat.

Thinking about all the distractions and embarrassed about her grade Heejin finally comes up with an excuse, “Um I think I’m just stupid.” The girl looked at her sadly and went to pat on her head like she was a puppy. Hyunjin shook her head, “of course you’re not. Sometimes we just don’t get things.” Heejin wanted to tell her that she doesn’t get her. How she’s so weird but cute at the same time. Why she does all the things she does.

But this time like always she keeps shut.

Class starts and begins, going by slowly since it’s mostly the professor complaining about the test grades. At some point, Heejin was almost dozing off until Hyunjin had nudged her back awake. The girl jolted up mid snore looking around. Her gaze is brought back down when Hyunjin slips her a note. She leans forward to read the messy handwriting. Smiling she grabs her pen to start writing as well.

I’m bored please save me 

What do you want me to do?   

Tell me a secret   

Heejin thinks for a moment. What secret could she tell Hyunjin? She could tell her about that time she fell down the steps. Or the time she sneezed on her doctor's face making him have snot on his face. Or that she could fit twenty-eight grapes in . She could also tell her that she has a big fat crush on her and that she’s been in love with her since she caught the teacher looking at .

 I think you’re really pretty

She slips the paper back over to Hyunjin smiling when the girl blushes and rolls her eyes. She tries to lean over to see what she’s writing but Hyunjin covers the paper with her hand. Heejin bounces excitedly when the paper is slid back her way.

That’s not a secret 

Okay then tell me a secret   

Heejin watches as the girl goes into deep thought until nodding and writing something down.

I think you’re really pretty too

She blushes as she reads the words over and over again shaking her head and nervously writing down the next note.

You’re lying 

I’m not I really like your hair and mole you’re eyes are pretty and your nose is really cute

I like your smile though I think it’s beautiful and it makes me feel fuzzy inside

Heejin is shaking with the paper in her hand. Hyunjin hasn’t moved a facial muscle while the girl beside of her is going into cardiac arrest. Are they flirting? What did Hyunjin mean when she said that her smile made her fuzzy inside? Did Hyunjin notice that she was in love with her? Did Hyunjin like her too? Was she even Gay?

She isn’t given too much time to think about the possibilities of Hyunjin liking her back since the paper is torn out of her hands. Heejin panics as the teacher reads the note to himself. He rolls his eyes and chuckles, “awe passing notes in my class shall I read for everyone?” Before he can even begin to think about it Hyunjin stands up and rips the note out of his hand before running off into the hallway.

Everyone is silent not knowing what to do. The teacher is even dumbstruck. Heejin thinks that Hyunjin just got embarrassed and left to avoid the humiliation but saving Heejin from it too. The girl returns though and now the note paper is wadded in her hand dripping. She had gone to the bathroom and made a huge wet mass of paper towels. Heejin knew exactly what was happening so she scooted her chair back out of the splash zone.

The students watched in slow motion as Hyunjin reeled her elbow back and shot the paper mass right in the teachers face with accuracy. Heejin cringed at the splat and the whole classed choked out different noises ranging from laughter into pain and even surprise. The force of the throw was so strong it knocked the teacher back into the wall and his entire face was covered in the wet paper. Hyunjin wiped her hands on her track pants, “try and read it now you boring unseasoned kebab.”

To make a long story short, Hyunjin got detention.

So did Heejin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next chapter will be a filler and there probably won’t be any 2jin will accept actual person Hyunjin.  

Was gonna save this until this weekend but people wanted it so enjoy!