Three

Honey Bun

Laying out a piece of paper and sitting down a pencil right beside it Heejin adjusts the items until they’re perfect. It’s been almost a month since school started and she hasn’t spoken a word to Hyunjin since then. It’s become routine by now. On the bus ride to school every morning she zones Jiwoo’s voice out to focus on the one in her head. Trying to come up with something to say to Hyunjin but Heejin could never get it right.

Hey, what’s up? Too basic.

Oh Hi Hyunjin! Too bubbly. 

Hyunjin you’re looking really cute today! Way too obvious… 

Instead, it would always play out like this. Hyunjin would walk in with her signature blank stare and flop down beside Heejin. The girl would always give a small smile to the athlete but her confidence would plummet whenever they locked eyes. An awkward silence would ensue and Heejin would steal glances at the taller girl who would be focusing on the rest of the students curiously tilting her head whenever one of them did something out of the ordinary.

The first bell would ring and Hyunjin would snap her gaze toward Heejin making the girl jump every time since she would always be caught staring. Heejin was glad that her crush didn’t mind her creepiness and would politely ask for a pencil and a piece of paper. The class would start after Heejin would shyly nod and get the items the slacker requested and the boring hour would pass by slowly.

As soon as the bell would ring again Hyunjin would scurry off leaving the pencil and paper behind for Heejin to keep. The notes were normal now unlike the first one. They were scribbles of chemistry and math sometimes a drawing of a cat or piece of toast. Heejin didn’t understand why Hyunjin would leave the notes but she kept them. She would scold herself for not having the courage to speak a word to Hyunjin let alone give her notes back. They weren’t ever given back to their owner though and instead they sat neatly inside of Heejin’s folder 

One day Heejin started to just lay the items out but she immediately regretted it since it cut their communication even further. No longer did she hear the breathy voice that would make her heart flutter but only a small grunt for thanks. Heejin was starting to get down again. Her crush for two years. The love of her life sitting two inches from her and she’s letting all the opportunity go to waste and for what because she was just nervous? When was she…Jeon Heejin ever nervous?  

The friendliest girl in the world? 

Yes, she was in fact and she didn’t want to be lonely anymore. So maybe she should prove it. To herself and everyone else. Sure she had Jiwoo and Jungeun and Honey Bun but shouldn’t such a rumor be true. Two friends and a homeless cat weren’t enough for one of the most popular girls in school she needed one more friend…maybe more than a friend.

Baby steps Heejin.

Heejin nodded in determination ready to talk to Hyunjin ready to give her the dazzling smile everyone would talk about. Today was the day she would become friends with Kim Hyunjin. It was only right for two of the most popular girls in school to become friends right?  

It was only really an excuse. If that was the reason she would become friends with all the popular girl’s in school.

Jo Haseul. Popular for being the perfect student. Even though she wasn’t

Ha Sooyoung. Popular for being the school’s heartthrob. Playgirl.  

Park Chaewon and Im Yeojin. Popular for being the funniest duo and even did morning announcements. Maybe this one was true.

Kim Hyunjin. Popular for being the school’s star athlete. Definitely true.

Hyunjin was amazing when it came to any physical activity though her sports of choice were basketball in the fall and track in the spring. During the summer though Hyunjin was on a soccer league and the reason Heejin knew this was because she frequently stalked her crush’s social media…she didn’t think it was creepy but she would catch herself at night squealing at all the cute photo’s posted ignoring Honey Bun’s curiosity.

To make a long story short Heejin wasn’t the only one in love with Hyunjin. The whole school was. People would surround the athlete at lunch and during breaks talking animatedly to the girl praising her for her talent and skills. Hyunjin would always shrug and give a short thanks for all the compliments. Of course, Heejin had to see these talents for herself and well she had become quite the fan.

 Heejin would always try and make it to a home game. Cheering for the team along the other mass of people. She was glad that Jiwoo would always tag along with her since she was friends with Yeojin who was the water girl for the team. After every game, Heejin would have a hoarse voice from screaming for the team mostly for Hyunjin and would smile at Jiwoo and Yeojin play fighting. She would stand by while the friends would talk sneakily stealing glances at the sweaty basketball player who would round up towels and such before heading to the locker room. 

Later on game nights, Heejin would lay wide awake thinking about the ballplayer and how good she was. Hyunjin was extraordinary and she wasn’t even cocky about it. Throughout the game, Hyunjin would keep a straight face not even smirking when she would make a shot or steal the ball. Her speed and agility were almost insane or at least Heejin thought it was. But unsurprisingly the whole school thought the same. 

Nervously tapping on the table she waits for the star athlete to walk through the door. When she sees the familiar almond shaped eyes she first smiles but it slowly drops along with her jaw. Usually, Hyunjin is in baggy clothes or something sporty. Heejin like the style since it seemed comfy and the fact that it would be nice to hug Hyunjin while she was wearing a fluffy sweater but that was beside the point.  

Right now she loved what Hyunjin had on. 

The encouragement she gave herself instantly fades away. Hyunjin almost shyly walks in a huge difference in her usual bold stride. Heejin blushes as she takes in the appearance of Hyunjin is a dress…a denim dress and even gasps when she sees the light makeup on her skin. Hyunjin pushes a strand of hair behind her ear as she sits down. The younger girl watches as the doll skeptically looks around at all the staring from the other classmates.

Heejin quickly shuts when Hyunjin turns to her with her head ducked down in embarrassment. Her mind goes haywire when Hyunjin speaks out to her in a whispered tone, “why is everyone staring do I look ugly or something?” Heejin thinks and well she thinks for a while but there’s only one thought that keeps going through her mind probably the same that’s going on in everyone’s else’s mind.

She’s beautiful. 

God will you just tell her that she’s beautiful.

Hyunjin starts to get red from the humiliation due to Heejin’s silence. Not feeling comfortable under her gaze. The girl pinches herself out her stupor when she sees the small frown on Hyunjin’s face. The girl sighs out defeated, “okay I get it your silence speaks volumes as always.”

For some reason the comment made Heejin snap out of it suddenly regaining all her confidence, “no it’s because you’re beautiful.” She snaps back shut after turning her gaze towards the window. She scrunches her eyes closed and plays a quick victory tune in her head when she hears the soft giggle behind her. Slowing turning back around she flinches back when the other girl’s face is right in hers.   

Being in such close proximity to her crush is too much as she starts to sweat like crazy. Hyunjin’s eyes only inches from hers as they flicker back and forth between hers. Heejin giggles along when the girl starts laughing again keeping her gaze on the tinted lips. The laughter stops so does Heejin’s staring. She’s never seen the athlete this smiley before but she doesn’t give herself that much credit.

She grabs onto her jean skirt when the girl starts speaking again trying to not act a fool in front of her. It’s light…the voice is and Heejin feels like a spirit is speaking to her, “you know I thought you’d never talk.” Heejin turns and lets herself smile at the girl who’s tilting her head with a slight pull on the corner of her lips. She’s never seen anything this cute besides maybe Honey Bun. But this was a different kind of cute. This was the I wanna kiss you kinda cute while Heejin just wanted to squish the cat when it meowed lightly at her.  

Blinking her eyes to get the intrusive thoughts out of her head she only nods for a reply no longer having the courage she previously had. Hyunjin sighs and sits up straight in her seat before side eyeing Heejin, “I was starting to think you didn’t like me.” Instantly in defense mode, Heejin raises her hands shaking them while smiling lightly, “of course I like you!” Shutting herself up for the second time in the span of five minutes a deep blush spreads on her features.  

She realizes Hyunjin probably wouldn’t think of it that way but still staying it out loud like that was making the blood rush to Heejin’s head. Her heartbeat speeds up when the girl calmly draws out a few words with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“I know you do…Jeon Heejin.”     

The rest of the class period goes by with Heejin sweating out bullets. 

Jeon Heejin

I know you do Jeon Heejin

Just the way that Hyunjin had said her name made her feel as if she was floating in the clouds. When class ended she had figured she would say something else to Hyunjin since her previous comment had brightened the girl up so much but of course the girl had darted out the room once again. Heejin looks down at the piece of paper left for her and bites her lip when she sees all the doodles on it.

There are hearts along with the bread and kittens this time though and Heejin can’t help but think of how cute it is. Nothing particular was written this time though just some balanced equations they went over in class. On the way home after she gave an unusually long hug to Jiwoo and Jungeun she skipped along the sidewalk humming along with pure joy.  

Jiwoo accepted her hug and kisses to the cheek but Jungeun knew something was up when Heejin tickled her. Heejin just giggled and wiggled her finger in the brunette’s face before swaying off. The weather was nice and the day was even better. Maybe she could talk to Hyunjin from now on. Heejin was starting to get giddy from thinking about all the conversations they could have.

She was into art and when she found out Hyunjin liked to doodle maybe she could bring that up and even show her some of her serious drawings or crafts. Or she could give her notes back commenting on what she’s missing or what she could focus on. Or she could maybe tell her how good she is at basketball or 

~Mew~

Heejin stops in her tracks and looks down at the sound. Instantly she picks the creature up squealing at the cuteness, “honey bun!” Strangely the cat hasn’t visited her in a couple of weeks so she was very happy to see her friend. Sometimes Honey Bun would go on spurts of constantly staying with her and sometimes would disappear for a while so she was used to it. Sitting the cat down when it started grumbling at her excessive cheek smushing she begins to gush about her day.

“Oh, you wouldn’t believe the day I’ve had…okay okay, I’m sorry I forgot.” The cat that was pawing at her foot made her pause in her story. Reaching behind her she pulls out a sweet snack opening the wrapper to set it down for the cat to munch on. Giggling watching the cat scarf the treat down she sits on her calves, “you know what they say, you are what you eat.” The cat makes a funny noise at the joke prompting Heejin to laugh harder.

After it’s done eating it rubs against her legs and starts to follow her on the way home. She talks about nothing in particular just happy with everything that happened today. Heejin doesn’t know if the cat is listening or not but she continues to talk adamantly. Excited about her next topic…Hyunjin…she takes a deep breath ready to start rambling until she sees a few basketball girls.

They’re all talking amongst each other vividly walking down the street in their tracksuits. Heejin looks down to where the cat was glued to her feet but gasps when it’s gone. Looking around she calls out to it a number of times before giving up. A little disappointed she wasn’t going to have her best friend for the evening she shrugs her shoulders and continues her walk back home. 

Scurrying off into the distance the orange cat goes into a secluded corner only for a girl to pop back out of it. Hyunjin sprints to catch up with her teammates totally forgetting they had an away game today. When she finally catches up to them they all turn to look at her chuckling at how out of breath she is. One of them speaks up, “where have you been? The bus leaves 30 minutes from now we thought you weren’t going to make it.”

Hyunjin stands up and stretches, “sorry had to take care of something and I forgot my bag.” Her teammates look at her skeptically knowing that she was always forgetting her bag for some reason. “Well, where is it?” Hyunjin freezes and realizes her bag isn’t with her. Turning back around she sprints back the other direction and towards her home ignoring the girls yelling after her. 

She darts through alleyways and jumps a few fences but she ends up getting her bag and making it to the bus right on time. Her couch gives her a slight nod to acknowledge her existence. Her teammates give her fist bumps as she walks down the aisle, “did you eat Hyunjin?” One of them asks while she sits down in an empty seat stretching out to prepare for a quick nap before the game. She smiles as she closes her eyes leaning back into the seat, “yeah I did.” 

Thinking of a cute face with a little mole and wavy hair she finishes the sentence, “I had a honey bun.”     

~~~~~~~~~  

My morning classes were canceled and instead of studying I choose to finish and edit this

Thank you for all the nice comments! I really like writing this story so knowing that people like reading it is just as nice :D