Fairy Tale

Honey Bun

Heejin never considered herself a cat person, but in the likes of Kim Hyunjin and her family, she had no choice but to be.  

  

Especially now, when two small cats curl into her neck as her girlfriend looks at her bitterly. Heejin snuggles the two soft animals, “I’m sorry they love me.” Hyunjin rolls her eyes and scampers off. 

 

It’s been months now since she’s finally confessed her feelings to Hyunjin. Her long time crush, it’s also been months now that she’s known that her girlfriend isn’t any ordinary girl.  

 

But still, that didn’t make her any less amazing. 

 

It took her awhile to get used to it. Hyunjin being Honey Bun, Honey Bun being Hyunjin. Heejin spends a lot of time thinking about it. How she only knew Kim Hyunjin as a friend for a few months. But Honey Bun for years. 

 

Looking at it, she already knew Hyunjin pretty well before properly meeting her. Because comparing the two now. The similarities were striking.  

 

Kim Hyunjin, the quiet and mysterious basketball player yet charming in her own way. Now, a dignified dork with an obsession with Jeon Heejin’s kisses.  

 

She wouldn’t have it any other way. 

 

Heejin was infatuated with Hyunjin at first, but as she dated her, you know officially. Which in every way and form: perfect. She began to think of it less of infatuation and more that she was enamored with Hyunjin. 

 

Simply put it, Heejin had it bad. She was in love with Hyunjin, which at the same time, still had her as a best friend. She thought of herself as the luckiest person alive, to have the chance to be with her first love.  

 

She remembers being smitten from the first day the athlete had talked to her, she would think to herself, how the gods were on her side when Hyunjin had taken a seat next to her.

 

The crush had only gotten worst then. Instead of having the idea of what Hyunjin was like as she would stare at her ceiling at night, she had tiny details that she had learned that she’d pick apart. Soon she didn’t just have an idea of Hyunjin.

 

She understood her. 

 

Scenarios that she would fantasize about became memories, memories with Hyunjin. At first she thought of Hyunjin a bit peculiar, but the more Heejin had thought about it, Hyunjin was adorable.

 

Like a kitten. 

 

Having a crush on the most popular girl in school is hard. But having a crush on the cutest girl in the school is damn near impossible. Heejin doesn’t know how she passed her classes when all that was in her head was the tiny mole underneath Hyunjin’s eye.  

 

Holding onto the tiny cats in her arms she squeezes them just like her heart did when she thought of her girlfriends smile. 

 

“Heejin, I have breakfast made.” Three pairs of ears perk up. The two kittens laid on her chest jump off and Heejin still gets dizzy when she sees the two in a blink of an eye transform into teenage girls.  

 

Yeah, it took a lot to get used to this. But deep down she loved it, because what other girl has a girlfriend with a secret half cat half human family. Note, they were also the cutest family.  

 

The pros outweigh the cons, the only con being the scratches Heejin gets whenever she makes a bad joke. Pro was that she felt like she was living in an anime...permitting sometimes she’d get freaked out when she’d remembered the abnormalities.

 

Heejin didn’t see honeybun that much these days.

 

Jinsoul has explained to her many times, how when they were at a young age stuck in an indecent orphanage. 

 

Until one day a beautiful woman came to adopt them. That woman was also supernatural. Someone who had tampered with black magic, Jinsoul had told her the mistake they had made messing around with that woman’s work. One day they accidentally opened the wrong bottle and literally poof, they were not just normal girls anymore. 

 

The mystery woman had raised them until Jinsoul was old enough to take care of all of them herself. Jinsoul was also an apprentice in black magic, hence the unexplainable teleportation and weird sounds Heejin hears at night when she stays over. 

 

Usually Hyunjin’s snores distracted her from the scary noises coming down from the hallway.  

 

Heejin has had an unusual time dating Kim Hyunjin. But, she couldn’t be happier. 

 

Sitting at the dining table she watches as her sulking girlfriend picks at her food. Leaning over she plants a heavy kiss on the girl’s puffed up cheek. After that, Hyunjin is scarfing down her food. 

 

Jinsoul shares a look with her and winks. It still makes her blush. Yerim and Hyejoo fight over the last piece of sausage before their sister splits it in half making a compromise.  

 

Heejin was happy, she can’t keep a smile off her face nowadays.  

 

While she’s helping Jinsoul up with the dishes the girl asks her quietly, “would you like to visit our lady with us?” Heejin stops scrubbing one dish and listens to the clinging on the other side. 

 

The lady of course being the one that raised them. The thought of meeting her made her nervous, because really this was kinda like Hyunjin’s mom.  

 

Her parents love Hyunjin, probably more than they loved her, but that was different. This was no ordinary woman. This was the woman that told the family of four to stay away from humans. So she really doesn’t know if she’d appreciate to see the girl she had raised dating one. 

 

“You can say no.” 

 

Heejin looks to Jinsoul, her pupils wide. Heejin wants to say no but the girl before her looks so excited.  

 

“Sure!” 

~~~~   

Everyone is staring, per usual, as they walk hand in hand down the hallway. Heejin is complete mush on the insides as she follows behind Hyunjin who is walking her to her locker. 

 

At first everyone was kinda shocked to see them dating. Now they were the it couple of the school. Heejin was surprised at how many people liked Hyunjin, she has gotten a lot of threats and actual begging for her to break up with her. 

 

But that was not possible, because her hand fit perfectly into Hyunjin’s.  

 

Stopping at her locker Heejin floats towards it and Hyunjin stands guard behind her. Heejin gets a weird chill down her spine every time the girl does it, when Hyunjin tickles at her side. 

 

More or less, Hyunjin was the same. Still quiet, still had that expressionless face, still the coolest girl ever. Except there was one difference. The girl liked affection as much as her younger sisters. “Jeon Heejin.” 

 

Heejin hums and slightly turns her head to find Hyunjin staring at her intently. She gets woozy looking at the brown almond shaped eyes that soften whenever they find her own. “You look beautiful today.” 

  

Containing her squeal she pushes Hyunjin away from her, “stop it!” The girl stands back of course but Heejin doesn’t really want that, so she reaches behind her to pull Hyunjin back close. 

 

Turning around she gasps when Hyunjin leans forward to give her a quick kiss. Heejin is stunned because the kiss is so soft, but she blinks out of it quickly, shaking the dizziness out of her head when Hyunjin isn’t standing in front of her anymore. 

 

Heejin groans and runs down the hall despite her knees being jelly to catch up with Hyunjin. When she reclaims the hand of the girl she can call her own her heart is finally able to rest. 

 

Hyunjin only looks at her, smiling slightly at the blush she caused from her stolen kiss.  

 

~~~~  

 

She’s shivering against Hyunjin, the cold almost seeps into her skin but the puffy coat and strong arms around her keep her warm. Her girlfriend smells like hot coco. “Is this okay?” 

 

“Yes...more than okay.” 

 

Hyunjin wraps the coat around her more, Heejin had bounced on her toes when Hyunjin had opened it up wide to invite her in. She shuffled her way in and rested her hands around Hyunjin’s waist as the girl wrapped the coat around the both of them. 

 

They’re waiting for Hyunjin’s sisters to arrive but for now Heejin finds comfort by laying her head on the slowly thumping chest.  

 

“Ewww they’re so gross.” Heejin opens one eye up to see Sooyoung who is laughing and pointing at them, Jiwoo is by her side covering to hide her giggle. 

 

Heejin grumples and turns her head to ignore the pair. They have gotten annoying since becoming best friends but Heejin didn’t think anyone matched as good as them. 

 

Except she and Hyunjin of course.  

 

It was the four of them now, Jungeun and Haseul hadn’t completely forgotten about them but they were simply busy with their own lives. Heejin knows that friends don't always stick around but her heart becomes sore from time to time when she doesn’t see her childhood friend sitting at their table.  

 

Now Jiwoo and Sooyoung were kinda the weird third wheel. Jiwoo’s crush had gotten extremely bad and Sooyoung has changed a lot. Except from her flirty ways. Jinsoul has gotten to know that side well, with the exception of Jiwoo becoming either devastated or jealous. 

 

The two bickered a lot, especially after every one of Sooyoung’s failed attempts at landing at date with Jinsoul. Heejin thought they were really cute, only if Sooyoung would realize there was a girl that would be perfect for her right there. 

 

She squeezes onto Hyunjin, her perfect girl. It really was a dream come true, for Hyunjin to like her back. She wonders if they were like that before finally getting together. 

 

Sooyoung is pushing Jiwoo around when Heejin sees the twirl of an umbrella. Her eyes widen when she sees three beautiful girls appear out of thin air.  

 

Hyejoo and Yerim quickly change into their cat forms and dart towards Heejin. Rubbing at her legs and purring for a greeting. Jiwoo is in the middle of pulling Sooyoung’s hair when she spots them, “oh! Choerry and Oli hi!” 

 

The kittens purr as Jiwoo pets and speaks to them in her bubbly voice. They loved Jiwoo the most because she gave them the most attention. Sooyoung meanwhile clears and walks towards Jinsoul who is softly smiling at Jiwoo petting her sisters. 

 

“Hey baby, you look gorgeous today.” Jinsoul turns her gaze to Sooyoung who is giving her that odd smirk again. 

 

Heejin starts to giggle as Sooyoung is completely curved, “Sooyoung are you feeling well?” The girl scratches her head and nods. 

 

Jiwoo is closely watching the pair and frowns when Sooyoung bluntly asks, “Can I get a kiss today?” Jinsoul only closes her eyes and smiles. 

 

“Nope!”  

 

Heejin buries her face into Hyunjin’s chest to muffle her laughter. She can feel the vibrations of Hyunjin’s against her face. “Sooyoung if you keep hitting on my sister I’ll have no choice but to beat your again.”  

 

Heejin remembers it vividly, when Sooyoung had just randomly leaned in to kiss Jinsoul and the blonde had ducked. Hyunjin had saw and ended up giving Sooyoung a run for her life. 

 

Jinsoul ends up giving her a hug, in which a now sulking Sooyoung gladly accepts.  

 

“Are you ready Jeon Heejin?” She hears the soft voice of Jinsoul. The girl didn’t even move her lips but Heejin still had a voice in her mind. She nods but doesn’t particularly want to pull away from Hyunjin. 

 

Hyunjin seems to notice her hesitation and does it for her, “come on I got you.” Heejin whines when the warmth disappears, her hand is grabbed and they walk towards the blonde. 

 

“Wait where y’all going?” They freeze in their step when Jiwoo asks. 

 

Sooyoung is picking at her nose when she adds on, “yeah, we always get left out, ain’t we your friends?” Heejin looks to Jinsoul who is still gently smiling.  

 

The thing is, Sooyoung and Jiwoo didn’t really know about how abnormal the family was. But they were too dumb to notice. They had blindly accepted Jinsoul was Hyunjin’s older sister and that they had two very loyal cats.

 

Jiwoo would ask Heejin simple questions at times, but they were easy enough to answer without being suspicious.

 

However, she would like to share her secret. Sooyoung and Jiwoo where her best friends now. It would feel nice to have other people involved in her little world that she and Hyunjin had created.

 

“It will be a long walk. Are you okay with that?” Jiwoo and Sooyoung look at each other and then back to Jinsoul. Simultaneously they nod at the girl. 

 

Jinsoul smiles widely then, showing her canines. Flipping her umbrella up a little she speaks quietly. 

 

“Then come on.”  

 

~~~~

  

“UGH ARE WE THERE YET MY ABOUT TO FALL OFF!” 

 

“Shut up Sooyoung.” Heejin looks at her girlfriend who had groaned out. She mouths behave to her as they keep walking through through the forest. Jinsoul is leading them, still with the umbrella draped over her head. 

 

Apparently, when they had been transformed it had came with side effects. Jinsoul could be in the sun, but it made her drowsy. Hyunjin was weak to the rain, to a point if she stayed in it too long it could kill her.   

 

Heejin made sure the girl never stepped foot in it. 

 

The twins were sensitive to sound. They were still in their cat forms, darting back and forth around them. Heejin had been watching them the whole time. How the leaves would fly up when they skittered around. 

  

Jinsoul would scold them if they started to climb up the trees or started to play fight a little two aggressively. Hyejoo runs up to her and pounces in front of her.  

 

When Hyunjin kicks at her the little cat hisses and runs away again. Towards her sister with the scarred ear. It was fun watching the two go around and around. 

 

Sooyoung and Jiwoo followed behind them, stuck shoulder to shoulder. Because Sooyoung all in all, was a wussy. Jiwoo didn’t mind having her close. 

 

The walk was very long but Heejin didn’t complain. It just meant she could hold Hyunjin’s hand longer. But Sooyoung and Jiwoo weren’t really having it and have complained almost the whole time. Along with something else.

 

“You keep stepping on my feet stupid!” 

 

“Well if you didn’t have big feet Jiwoo maybe I wouldn’t step on them!” 

 

“Well if you knew how to ing walk in a straight line.” 

 

“There is nothing straight about me.”

 

“Is everything okay back there?” The two stop arguing for the fifth time and looks towards the dark tone of Jinsoul’s voice. Heejin has only seen Jinsoul mad about once or twice. This time is an exception. 

 

The blonde had stopped and turned to glare at them. Heejin shivers at the expression on Jinsoul’s face. The girl wasn’t smiling for once. A soft curl of her lips was almost constantly present along with a smooth drawl to her voice that had disappeared as well. Sooyoung and Jiwoo stand up straight and nod their heads quickly. 

 

Jinsoul only clicks her tongue. Without the crunching beneath their feet and constant blabber Heejin notices how eerily quiet the forest is. 

 

Looking around you can just tell how cold it is, by the grey and brown hues seemingly consuming the forest. The trees have shed their leaves and stand tall, crooked, and asleep for the winter. The only color is the fallen leaves on the ground.  

 

You can see through the trees but it’s like a maze, behind every one of them there was at least two more. Looking up she notices how the top of the branches reach out and curl towards the trail they were on. Just where was Jinsoul taking them. 

 

Heejin jumps ten feet into the air when crows abruptly flock and squawk at them. Shaking in Hyunjin’s arms, the girl laughs at how much of a scaredy cat Heejin is.  

 

“It’s just some birds!” Hyunjin’s voice is light and mocking but Heejin continues to cling onto her. 

 

Pulling back she frowns, “it’s not just birds Hyunnie. You know that!” Hyunjin pouts at her and wraps an arm protectively around her. 

 

Heejin cowers into her afraid more crows will pop out of nowhere. “I won’t let them get you okay?” Heejin knows she’s probably teasing her by the sarcastic tone in her voice. Heejin clings onto her nevertheless, even if she was being mean because she felt safe in her arms.

 

Jinsoul lets them have a break from the walking after that because conveniently there’s a rock nearby...that can only fit one person. Jinsoul takes the seat without question and smiles at the ones still standing up.

 

Sooyoung and Jiwoo are holding hands now, only because Sooyoung had screamed pretty loud and high when the crow had stirred them up. Jiwoo was just doing the same as Hyunjin, but Sooyoung had no clue why.

 

Heejin looks up at her girlfriend, “this place we’re going to, it’s where you grew up?” Hyunjin nods slowly not taking her eyes off her sisters that were perched in Jinsoul’s lap. The sun above them only shined every minute or so due to the clouds. Heejin takes note of Hyunjin’s gaze, she almost acted as if she didn’t really want to go. Heejin doesn’t question it though and leaned her head to rest on the athletes shoulder.

 

Jinsoul stares at Jiwoo and Sooyoung, in which the older pulls her hand away from the redheads clammy one. Jiwoo smiles when Sooyoung mumbles out, “thanks for you know...whatever.” Jiwoo beams her teeth like spotlights and such a warm smile makes Sooyoung blush and turn away. 

 

Jiwoo was cute or whatever, but annoying. 

 

Jinsoul tries to not frown when Sooyoung starts to make her way over towards her, mostly because the look on Jiwoo’s face. Like a kicked puppy. The girl has an arrogant smirk on her face, “since I came out here for you and not said a word, I think you owe me a date.” Jinsoul’s lips twitch, god this girl was something else. “Just me and you alone, I can drive now so I can take you somewhere nice.” 

 

So confident, Jinsoul thinks to herself, Sooyoung had an ego that was not easily bruised. “I have to warn you though I’m really charming so don’t get upset when you can’t resist kissing me.” Jinsoul actually blushes this time and distracts herself by smoothing out the fur of her baby sister. Sooyoung was pretty and honestly charming but Jinsoul didn’t find herself intrigued enough to flip her thoughts about love.

 

It simply wasn’t for her. She’d never consider herself a romantic unlike her younger sister who was gently comforting her girlfriend or the red headed girl who stares longingly at Sooyoung. 

 

Sooyoung looks nervous waiting for an answer, she was too cute for her own good. Jinsoul hates that the younger girl has an effect on her. “I have to decline Sooyoung.” The girl visibly deflates and Jinsoul holds out her hand. Sooyoung reluctantly takes it. “You are very charming I won’t lie! So cute that I even blushed, but I don’t like romance all that very much.” Sooyoung seems satisfied with the answer.

 

But that doesn’t mean she’s given up, “I’ll keep trying until you do like it.” Sooyoung slips her hand out then and leaves Jinsoul speechless. Jiwoo has her arms crossed, staring into the distance and opposite of where Sooyoung stands. 

 

Hyunjin glares in her teammates direction. “I swear if doesn’t leave Jinsoul alone.” Heejin can feel Hyunjin’s hands grip tighter on her shoulders and she tries to soothe the girl by patting her tummy. “I wasn’t that annoying right?” Heejin remembers the attitude Hyunjin had the night after the ball game when her nose was busted. Heejin’s heart had fluttered and she felt like her dreams were coming to life. 

 

Shaking her head she pinches Hyunjin’s cheek, “no...it was cute when you did it.”  

 

Heejin stares at the little canines that poke out when Hyunjin smiles, the girl even blushes at her comment. 

 

Excitement runs through her veins when Hyunjin turns around to kneel down. It was a common between them now, Hyunjin loves to give out free rides. Hopping on her girlfriends back she wraps her arms around her shoulders and rests her hands against her chest.  

 

The rest of the journey starts then, Heejin talks Hyunjin’s ear off. Jiwoo comforts a mopey Sooyoung. Jinsoul marches in front of them and lets the sunlight hit her face, but as soon as she yawns she holds the umbrella back over her head. The twins waddle beside their oldest sister, meowing every time a leaf crunches beneath the pads of their feet a little too loudly.

 

Heejin is rocking her feet back and forth telling Hyunjin a funny story when the woods start to get denser and it’s hard to see ten feet in front of them. She tightens her hold on Hyunjin’s shoulders and hides her face in soft black hair. It’s kinda scary how dark it’s gotten. Hyunjin only picks her up a little bit, “it’s okay, you’ll like her.” Her heart hammers in her chest from fear but also from the sweetness laced in Hyunjin’s voice.  

 

The trees become a puzzle and Jinsoul gets harder to follow.

 

Anticipation rises in Heejin’s chest and all of the sudden the sun becomes a lot brighter. It’s a relatively normal house, but it’s old. Invasive vines stretch through the cracks of the bricks and there’s a tree leaning over top the roof. It’s a danger but somehow Heejin feels like it’s a part of the house itself. Hopping down from Hyunjin’s back she opens in awe.

 

“Hey is that a road?! Why’d we walk in the middle of bum when we could have just drove?” Heejin knots her brows at Sooyoung’s voice, there was a paved road leading to the house. But something was suddenly off when her friend had mentioned it.

 

Jinsoul doesn’t say anything at first, only swirls her umbrella. Heejin’s eyes widen when flowers bloom around the house, it was almost winter. Why were spring flowers blossoming? The grass around the house turns greener and a warm breeze flows. Heejin can even smell the aromatic scent from the flowers. It was something magical.

 

“Where’s the fun in that?” 

 

Heejin doesn’t like the tone in Jinsoul’s voice.

 

The blonde turns and her eyes are sharp. They glow blue and her pupils slit. 

 

Jinsoul disappears then, along with Hyejoo and Yerim. Heejin looks around her and even Hyunjin is gone. Suddenly she hears crying. Turning, Jiwoo and Sooyoung are hugging, trembling in fear. Sooyoung starts to whisper in a worried voice, “yo...YO did they just disappear?! What’s going on Jeon…” 

 

“It’s all just a dream wake up wake up.” Jiwoo is chanting and Heejin doesn’t have an answer.

 

They were just highschoolers, too naive to understand this. But Heejin knew there was more to it. The door to the house opens, “oh hell no!” Sooyoung yells and starts to walk towards the paved road. 

 

Heejin brings her hand up to her chest, feeling it pound. “Wait let’s calm down.” 

 

They had mentioned black magic...so maybe this was it. Heejin shouldn’t be afraid. She just wants Hyunjin to come back. Sooyoung turns and points with an angry expression on her face. Heejin comforts Jiwoo who was still sniffling, “! I’m not getting murdered I’m going the home.”

 

Heejin’s friends were shaking. 

 

“Let’s go in.” 

 

The two look at her like she was crazy, Jiwoo stutters, “a-are you stupid!” Heejin shakes her head, she was brave. Sooyoung rolls her eyes and turns to go to the road. Except during their little conversation it’s disappeared.

 

“YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!” Heejin hugs Jiwoo who is full on sobbing as Sooyoung screams at the trees, as if they could save them. 

 

Heejin can’t help but laugh, they were being overdramatic. Jinsoul would never put them in danger. Sooyoung is banging on the ground still cursing every word in the book. Jiwoo blows snot bubbles that Heejin pulls away from.

 

Removing herself from the redhead she skips towards the house. Jiwoo screams at her, “HEEJIN DON’T LEAVE ME OUT HERE THE TREES ARE SCARY!” 

 

Heejin disappears anyway. Walking into the home she’s met with...what seems to be abandoned mansion. The house didn’t look this big from the outside. The corners are filled with dust, spider webs decorate the walls and cracks. The wooden floor is broken in some places. Everything screams old and worn. Like something from a horror movie. The door slams behind her and she jumps out of her skin.

 

With chattering teeth she starts to sing a happy tune to herself she tries to ignore all the scary figures that pop in her imagination. “Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog.” She mumbles as she creaks around on the floor. Heejin guesses she’ll explore the bottom floor before making her way up the stairs.

 

Turning the corner she sings a bit louder to ignore the light thumping noise behind her, “now that we’ve got ears it’s time for cheers!” Walking a bit faster she finds the kitchen, or what used to be a kitchen. There’s rusted pots and pans, a black stove and many...too many knives. “Hot dog hot dog the problems…”

 

Heejin freezes, there was something creeping behind her. “I love you...you love me.” Slowly turning she almost faints, “we’re a happy family.” Nothing was there, so she happily screams, “yay!” But then she hears the squeak, looking down she gasps, oh.

 

She could be a star soccer player with how hard she kicks the rat at her feet. Squealing she runs away, Heejin hated rats. She punted the hell out of it but it survives scurrying off to tend to its wounds. Running through the house it doesn’t seem to end, hallway after hallway, Heejin cries. Tears run down her face as her feet stomp on the rickety floor, if she wasn’t so scared she be enjoying this maybe. 

 

Heejin doesn’t realize the girl behind her giggling to herself. 

 

Meanwhile, Jiwoo and Sooyoung argue outside of the house. “What do you mean you didn’t bring your real phone?!” Sooyoung slaps her hand against her other, Jiwoo was making no sense. Her phone was dead and Jiwoo had said she only brought a fake phone.

 

The girl pulls out a Barbie phone. Sooyoung wants to laugh at how insane the whole situation is. Jiwoo holds her hand out in defense, “wait it might work!” Sooyoung holds open as Jiwoo dials 911 into the toy phone.

 

It’s little beeping noise destroys every bit of faith she has left. Jiwoo holds it to her only to start dancing happily when the Barbie song starts to play. The athlete’s blood boils as Jiwoo cutely sings the lyrics and bounces around. 

 

Jiwoo cries out when Sooyoung grabs the phone and chucks it into the trees. The redhead stomps her feet into the ground like a child, “Sooyoung you're such a meanie!” Crossing her arms she ignores the tantrum, but it’s hard when she hears Jiwoo cry again. Maybe she should have let the girl listen to the Barbie song. “This is all your fault!”

 

“Me?! How?!”

 

The younger girl crosses her arms and squats, “because you just had to be with Jinsoul now we’re stuck here!” Sooyoung stares at the pout on Jiwoo’s lips.  

 

“I…” She should be mature about this. 

 

“You sound mad.” Or not.

 

Jiwoo lets out a hmf before mocking Sooyoung, “you’re right I’m bitter.”

 

She doesn’t get a chance to apologize, “I’m muthain triggered!” Jiwoo then runs into the house despite Sooyoung’s screams.

 

Sighing she guesses she’ll go after the girl.

 

Heejin is out of breath, this house has become a maze. Instead of running she walks around with sense. But she gets nowhere, “Hyun...where are you.” Her hands slip on the walls of the house, she just wants to get out of this hallway.

 

Her feet pad on the wood, but after a few steps she hears double. Every time she takes a step someone else does. No need to panic, just keep walking.

 

The more she walks however, the closer the steps sound. Without turning around she yells out, “who's there?” There’s no response, it must be her imagination. 

 

Relaxing a bit she keeps walking, but then a hand grabs her shoulder. The goosebumps rise on her neck and she runs like crazy.

 

“W-wait Heejin!” She stops...she knows that voice. The girl behind her collides into her back with a groan. Heejin turns to see Yerim on the floor. The girl scratches at her head and gives her a sheepish grin. “I didn’t want to scare you.”

 

Heejin is so relieved she falls to floor with Yerim to hug her. The girl laughs and hugs her back with just as much enthusiasm, “your hugs are the best!” Tears of happiness flows down her cheeks as Hyunjin’s younger sister starts to blabber to her. 

 

Thank god she wasn’t alone.

 

They walk through the house together, it comes out that Yerim has no idea what’s going on either. “I think Jinsoul and our lady is messing with us! They do this often with me and Hyejoo but I didn’t think they’d play games with guests.” Heejin sighs, at least she wasn’t in danger. “Hyun hates these games though and she gets so mad she doesn’t come back.” 

 

Yerim happily skips beside her, “I like them!” Heejin hums and goes back to focus on walking through the house.

 

Grabbing her chest as her heart aches, she just wanted to know if Hyunjin was safe. 

 

Sooyoung can not find Jiwoo, instead she finds Jinsoul who looked...different. Her blonde hair was a darker shade now, straightened that it flowed down her back like liquid gold. Jinsoul turns, “Sooyoung! Let’s chat.” The younger girl swallows a large lump in .

 

She didn’t like the smile on Jinsoul’s face.

 

“Soooo how did you get to know Hyunnie?” They’re sitting at a split of the hallway, it continued left and right, Heejin was getting tired so she rested against the left side of the middle wall while Yerim sat at the right. 

 

Heejin is sat back in the moment when she first knew she found love with the thought of Hyunjin. When golden brown eyes shined in the sunlight, a voice like a lullaby, it was like creating art. Whatever color Heejin threw in, Hyunjin just got prettier. Heejin had become enamored with Hyunjin just like a favorite painting. She wishes for it to never lose its color.

 

It’s love for sure.

 

“We had chem class together and she sat next to me, I...had the biggest crush on her to begin with so I was really quiet when we first met.” Heejin whispers out, almost wistfully. She wishes she had the courage to talk to Hyunjin sooner.

 

“But she was weird, it made me like her even more. Something about her I was so drawn to.” Maybe it was the mystery behind Hyunjin, maybe it was the familiarity of her eyes. 

 

Heejin holds out her hand and remembers how it feels to have it pressed again Hyunjin’s. 

 

Yerim is silent until she asks the question that makes Heejin’s vision split like the halls, “do you love her?” 

 

Do you love her?

 

Those words ring in her mind over and over again. Love was something she’s never thought of before this. It made her chest feel light, as if someone had stolen her heart. But that was in fact the truth, the culprit was Kim Hyunjin. 

 

As her eyes flutter close, the dusty atmosphere suddenly feels like spring. “Yeah I do...I think I love her a lot.” She smiles at nothing in particular, just at the sun hitting her face, the same sensation as when Hyunjin smiles at her. Heejin drops her lips. Wait.

 

Opening her eyes she’s somewhere totally different. On a comfy chair in a house that was impossibly cozy.

 

Looking around she’s alone for the most part, except for her girlfriend who had appeared out of thin air handing her a glass of warm coffee. “Here for the headache.” Heejin didn’t even know she had one until Hyunjin’s words hit her ears. Scrunching her nose at the pound to her temple she takes the coffee. 

 

There's ringing, it’s the bell on Hyunjin’s bracelet, the one she made. Heejin thanks her as she takes a set next to her. She’s in the same clothes and everything. Was it all a dream? Had she gotten so nervous she had passed out. Heejin had so many questions, but a few simple words answers all of them.

 

“I love you too Jeon Heejin.”

 

Choking on the bitter liquid she feels like crying when Hyunjin takes her oversized hand to pat at her back. Heejin looks at her with bloodshot eyes, her girlfriend is looking at her knowingly. Everything that had happened, happened. Hyunjin suddenly turns cold, “kinda wish I was the first to hear it besides my sister but not everything can be perfect.” Heejin nods agreeing with Hyunjin quickly. 

 

Shooting forward she embraces Hyunjin as her girlfriend carefully slips the coffee out of her hand. She’s basically suffocating her girlfriend with how hard she’s holding her. Heejin has never felt something like this before in her chest, like a flower blooming. She squeezes Hyunjin more, “I love you Kim Hyunjin.” Heejin says it with all her heart and pulls away to look into the eyes she’s become accustomed to. The eyes she wants to spend the rest of her life looking at.  

 

It’s a perfect moment, but even those don’t last forever.

 

Heejin has her gazed pulled away from her when her ears tickle at a weird tension in the room. She can’t believe her eyes when she looks at the woman before her, an arm draped around Jinsoul whose hair had changed colors. It was a darker blonde now, “well well Miss Jeon I thought I would get a better reaction, is my face that shocking to see?” 

 

“M-Ms, Wong?” Her beloved art teacher...just what was she doing here? 

 

Hyunjin holds onto her, “meet our lady.” Heejin’s eyes widen as Ms. Wong smiles at her. It made no sense, but at the same time did. Her teacher had always been peculiar but the worlds colliding left her head spinning.

 

The one who had raised Hyunjin and her sisters.

 

The one who had...taught Jinsoul black magic.

 

Was her strange teacher.

 

“Well the cats out of the bag!” Ms. Wong clasps her hands together and lightly giggles as Jinsoul looks at her with lights shining in her eyes. 

 

The twins flow behind them cutely grabbing onto Ms. Wong into a family hug. Hyunjin raises as well leaving the coffee on a small table before wrapping her hands around Hyejoo. Heejin stares at the family.

 

There was no love like this.

 

Ms. Wong holds out her hand, “I was reluctant on meeting you, I thought you would take it badly but Jinsoul convinced otherwise, she’s got some persuasion!” The woman hums out and Heejin lightly folds her hand into the one reached out, her hand then becomes enveloped in cold but soft hands. 

 

Heejin stares at their conjoined hands, nothing was happening her head. There was not a thought. 

 

So instead of making a big deal she does what she does best, “nice to meet you again Ms. Wong.” Her teacher blinks at her, but then gives her that soft smile that's worth a thousand pictures. Heejin was the friendliest girl in the world after all. 

 

Ms. Wong’s house was actually on a normal street, but Jinsoul had tricked them going to an old house to confuse them. Turns out that was their previous home before becoming orphans, Heejin still doesn’t know the full story. But the sad look in Hyunjin’s eyes tells her she probably should be patient. 

 

The orphanage was not what you hear in the books, where they’re always dark and riddled with abusive figures. This orphanage was told in good light by Jinsoul herself, the lady who ran it went by the name of Lee Ji-eun who had a heart for the misfortunate. There they four had healed somewhat until Ms. Wong had visited, adopting them all.

 

To help cover Ms.Wong’s mystery and keep her privacy they all still had the bow abandoned orphanages as their place of home. That’s why no one could find Hyunjin, because technically neither Ms. Wong’s nor Jinsoul’s home existed. At least to any normal eye.

 

Currently Heejin is being a little too clingy from being pulled apart from Hyunjin, slowly watching her art teacher and Jinsoul argue over a bubbling pot that spewed purple smoke. Leaning up on her tippy toes she whispers into Hyunjin’s ear, “what are they making? It looks like...poison.” 

 

Her girlfriend doesn’t answer. Keeping her gaze on the pot before them.

 

“I told you Jinsoul it won’t hurt them if it doesn’t work, just let me try okay?” Jinsoul frowns at the older woman and disappear behind a shroud of beads that curtain the door frame. Ms. Wong’s house is just what Heejin expected it to be, a mess that somehow fits together.

 

Just as Jinsoul disappeared someone else did. Or well two people. Two that Heejin had embarrassingly forgot about. It’s Sooyoung and Jiwoo holding hands and awfully close. There’s a blush on Sooyoung’s face and Jiwoo is looking a little too giddy.

 

Later she’s stuck between Hyunjin and her sisters on the couch as they watch movies. Something is definitely up with Jiwoo and Sooyoung since they haven’t argued the whole time, they’re cuddling...which is weird to everyone.

 

Sooyoung only remembers the conversation with Jinsoul earlier, and a kiss that had only made her think of Jiwoo. Then she had woken up with Jinsoul above her telling her she had a bad dream. It feels like Sooyoung was in one now than before.

 

As for Jiwoo the same thing had happened. She had stumbled upon Jinsoul in a strangely dark room only to be kissed by the girl. It was so soft Jiwoo had fell into a slumber, realizing that it was actually her being woke up.

 

The two hadn’t questioned the weird dream or them being in the schools art teachers house, Jiwoo didn’t question Sooyoung’s sudden confession. Sooyoung didn’t question Jinsoul explaining a love spell to the woman who she called mom. 

 

Jinsoul however thinks her magic has gotten better, especially with the way Sooyoung only looks towards Jiwoo now. Maybe it was wrong of her to meddle, but they were really cute. 

 

But the thing is...Jinsoul didn’t cast a lovespell, she just erased Sooyoung’s attraction towards her. Turns out she didn’t need to make Sooyoung love Jiwoo, because she already did. Sooyoung secretly adored the red head. 

 

“It’s finished Jinsoul.” She turns to look at the womanSkipping over she looks at the thick purple substance in the black pot. “I swear I think I have it this time.”

 

Jinsoul narrows her eyes, “it better work, the last time it made Hyunnie weaker to water. I can’t afford putting them in danger anymore mom.” 

 

Vivi turns to her and pokes her in the nose making it twitch, “we wouldn’t have to worry if you guys weren’t so curious, it was like you were bound to become cats anyway.” Jinsoul knows the woman is right.

 

Helping, she puts the serum into small bottles. She only makes three, “Jinsoul are you sure?” She only nods, this liquid was for her sisters. For them to live a normal life. Jinsoul was far from that already, she wanted to be Vivi’s familiar forever, as a cat. As a daughter. 

 

Magic was also easier to keep a secret when you could transform into something cute and fluffy.

 

Peeking into the living room Jinsoul smiles at all her sisters. Her beautiful sisters. She wanted them to live freely from the confines of magic. She wanted them to live happily in the world.

 

They were just girls after all.

 

~~~~

 

It’s been weeks since the visit to Ms. Wong’s house, now Heejin laid comfortably in her bed with Hyunjin tangled up in the sheets with her, their legs intertwined and Heejin’s cheek squished against Hyunjin’s arm. Her girlfriend has lip gloss marks all over her face and neck. Heejin blinks a bit ashamed at how out of control she is, Hyunjin was too irresistible. 

 

Her girlfriend twirls a small bottle in her fingers, it’s filled with something purple. “What’s that?” 

 

Hyunjin hates to answer the question she asks, always asking a question instead. “Does it still bother you that I’m Honey Bun?” 

 

Heejin narrows her eyes and raises up on her elbows, “still? Hyun, it never bothered me you know that.”

 

“You don’t have to lie, I can tell you’re uncomfortable whenever I’m transformed.” Heejin holds open ready to retort but decides not to when Hyunjin gives her that side glance. “This should turn me human, truly human.” Heejin blinks at the purple liquid. Hyunjin...just Hyunjin, but that meant she’d never see Honey Bun again. She knew Honey Bun before Hyunjin and she has a lot of memories stored.

 

Sure she was still dealing with the aftershocks, not everyday was your girlfriend and long time crush the cat who was your best friend. It’s not that she was uncomfortable, she just had so many questions. Day by day however they were answered and that’s how this connection she has with Hyunjin has gotten so strong. They share their secrets and fears. Their truths and...love.

 

Thunder cracks outside just like Hyunjin’s smile. 

 

In a blink of an eye, Hyunjin is no longer there. It’s her old friend, golden eyes stare into hers, swirls twist in the image. The smell of cinnamon tickles at her nose. It’s Honey Bun, or well her girlfriend in cat form. It was still hard to connect the two instead of separating them like she’s always done. 

 

Sitting up in her bed Honey Bun stays completely still. Heejin reaches out and her cat flinches. Soon she’s able to pet the small ears and scratch at the fur underneath Honey Bun’s chin. Heejin then scoops the cat in her arms and giggles when her nose is pawed at. Heejin stares at it with the same affection she has for Hyunjin, “I’ll love you just the same, no matter what. You’re my best friend and first love.” Honey Bun’s pupils blow to disks and Heejin can’t help but think of how cute it is.

 

Leaning her face down she snuggles her nose against Honey Bun’s, “but I’m not a furry...so I’ll just pretend we’re not dating when you’re a cat.” Heejin screams when her cheek is scratched. Pouting she points her finger in the cats face, scolding it with her expression. 

 

Heejin is distracted when the rain starts to pour outside. Honey Bun slips through her arms and scurries out. Heejin has no choice but to chase after her. “No Hyunjin wait!” It’s too late, she somehow makes it outside and Heejin can only watch as Honey Bun runs down the road that’s being drowned by water.

 

Groaning she throws on a raincoat and takes after her. Every Time it rained it left a pit in Heejin’s heart. She was so afraid of Hyunjin getting stuck in it.

 

Running down the street she can’t spot the cat anywhere, she runs until she’s out of breath. Stopping to catch her breath. 

 

“Jeon Heejin.” Holding it she raises up, oh. Hyunjin’s fine...wait Hyunjin was fine! She didn’t look sick at all, if anything she looked-

 

Happy.

 

Her girlfriend was smiling as the rain fell on her skin. That’s when Heejin realized it. This is the same place she met Honey Bun the first time. It was raining just like this, the cat was sleeping under the cherry blossom tree right behind them.

 

Hyunjin then holds up the bottle, it’s empty. “It didn’t work. But the rain doesn’t hurt anymore.” Heejin starts to laugh, she’s happy for more than one reason. That Hyunjin wasn’t in danger anymore and that...well she still had honey bun, no matter what she still love Hyunjin just the same. “One day I’ll be a normal girl just like you I promise.”

 

Heejin walks toward her girlfriend, her feet splashing in the water. Hyunjin is soaked to the bone and Heejin reaches up to cradle her face in her hands, she’s never been so in love. Golden brown eyes stare into hers, “don’t you see?” She gets close enough where she can feel Hyunjin’s warm breath on her chilled lips.

 

“You’re already a perfect girl.”

 

Leaning the last few inches she seals the kiss. Hyunjin wraps her in warm arms as the rain tries to split them, but even then a whole flood couldn’t split them.

 

In this spot, years ago. Heejin found a cat shivering from the cold rain. Right now, she holds the love of her life in her arms as the chill doesn’t even reach to their skin from the warmth of their embrace.

 

Years ago, she was the loneliest girl in the world.

 

Today.

 

She was the happiest.

 

~~~~

There you have it people! I hope this is okay and is everything you guys could ever dream for. Thank you so much for reading and supporting me on the way! Lots of love MWAH!