i got it for my birthday

Lockscreen | Yuwin NCT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeil looked around at the dinner table. “Where is everyone?” He noticed Haechan shift uncomfortably.

Mark glared in his direction. “Haechan did some Ouija stuff with Winwin hyung and scared him off. Yuta hyung has gone to find him.”

Taeyong patted Haechan’s back. “Don’t worry. He’ll be home soon.”

Jaehyun tried to change the topic. “And Jungwoo went back to meet Lucas. Something about Lucas having lost his passport once again.”

“It’s probably just a ruse to ask Jungwoo out on a date though,” Johnny said, sitting at the table. “Lucas called me earlier for tips. They all grow up so fast.” He looked into the distance, wiping a fake tear. “By the way, where’s Doyoung?”

Mark piped up. “Oh, he left for the Dreamies dorm. Probably went to check on the kids and help with dinner.”

Taeil wasn’t listening though. He got up suddenly. “I’m craving some ramen. Anyone want anything from the convenience store? No? Okay, I’ll be back soon.”

“What happened to him?” Mark asked, frowning.

“He wanted some ramen, Mark,” Haechan deadpanned.

Across the table Johnny and Taeyong passed each other worried looks.

Outside, Taeil let out a breath. He hadn’t even realized he had been holding it in. He began to walk in the direction of his favourite convenience store but his mind was a bundle of thoughts. He wished he hadn’t asked where Winwin was—okay, yes, he had asked where everyone else was but even he knew what he was really asking. He was so irritated by how his brain immediately looked for Winwin. It was just supposed to be a stupid little crush that would go away with time but here he was feeling despondent not at the fact that Winwin wasn’t there for dinner but that Winwin and Yuta weren’t there for dinner. It was this kind of thought that made him both embarrassed and dislike himself. He wasn’t this petty ever but then he hadn’t ever had a crush before too.

What if, just like Lucas, Winwin had cooked up a ruse so that Yuta would follow him and they could go on a date then? He shook his head. Stop thinking about them. Stop thinking about him.

It was when the employee at the counter looked up that he realized that the staff had changed. Ahjumma—Mrs. Kim, as he had been told by the new employee—had left without notice. The new employee—what was his name—knew who Taeil was or at least in the first and last meeting Taeil had had with him, he had given him a face-mask to protect himself against stalkers.

Taeil didn’t like to be recognized outside schedule so he had told himself not to come here again. It was unfair to the employee who had not only saved him from choking to death but also been nothing but respectful towards him. Probably he wouldn’t even remember him.

The employee’s eyes lit up when he saw Taeil. He waved at him. “Welcome, Mr. Customer. What can I get for you today?”

Yeah, well, the employee didn’t know he was, Taeil guessed. The enthusiasm must just be for having quelled his boredom in this usually empty convenience store. Taeil felt even more miserable somehow.

But the employee pointed to his favourite ramen. “This one, right?”

“Yes, I-I’m sorry I forgot your name,” Taeil stammered.

The employee tapped his badge. “Azhar. Nice to meet you again.”

Taeil groaned at himself mentally. He could have just read it off his badge instead of asking. What was happening to him? He nodded awkwardly and made his way to the windows to sit and eat his cup ramen.

Azhar appeared by his side to place a glass of water next to him. Okay, so he definitely remembered Taeil from last time and the choking episode.

“Thank you,” Taeil said. He didn’t know what compelled him to add, “That’s a nice name you’ve got.”

“Thank you.” Azhar smiled brightly. “I got it for my birthday.”

Taeil stared at him and Azhar stared back. They both burst out laughing.

“Oh my god, that was horrible. I’m so sorry. I read it somewhere online,” Azhar said, still laughing.

“Wait, I got one for you. What do you call a can opener that does not work?” Taeil asked.

They looked at each other and then said, simultaneously. “A can’t opener.”

Azhar clutched at his side, laughing. “, you’re hilarious.” He put a hand over his mouth quickly. “, I didn’t mean to swear. Oh no, I did it again. . Sorry. Sorry.”

Taeil snorted. “It’s alright. Chill. I’m going to choke on these noodles again if you keep it up.”

“I know, I know. Sorry. You have a great sense of humour though,” Azhar said, giggling. “I’ll let you eat. Have a good meal.”

Taeil stopped him. “Have some?” He offered the fork to him.

Azhar looked at it dubiously. “I’ll pass. Thanks.”

“You haven’t tried it before?”

Azhar took the cup tentatively and sniffed. “I don’t eat this flavour.”

“You’re missing out,” Taeil said, horrified. “It’s my favourite.”

Azhar tried a bite and he chewed on the noodles like a Masterchef judge. “It’s nice. A bit bland for my taste. Have you tried the Extreme Spice flavour?”

“Nothing beats this, I’m sure, Azhar.”

“Wait,” Azhar said, disappearing towards the shelves and then re-emerging with a cup of ramen. He set it before Taeil. “Here you go. My treat.”

As they waited for the ramen to be ready, Taeil asked. “You’re not from around here?”

“I’m from India. I came here to study at the uni. My roommate works a shift here and he told me there was a vacancy.”

“Woah, you’re from India!” Taeil said. He caught himself before he could ask anything else. “I’m sorry. Where are my m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter