Chapter 5

A Ray of Hope

Author's note;

WARNING: Character death. Mention of blood. Nothing too explicit but still, I rather put a warning just in case. Please enjoy!

 

Needless to say, the news of the events at KIS spread quickly. At first, nobody wanted to believe that it was true. They didn’t just have a super going mad and wanting to rule the world, which was a lot more common than it should be. This mad super was being helped by the world’s favorite hero. That person that you were taught about since you were kid, it was engraved in your mind that if it wasn’t for her sacrifice, the world would be a horrible place. Heck, a whole religion dedicated to praising the sun had surfaced over the impact that Ray had had on the world. There was even a giant monument in the United States, where the original battle took place, it was treated as if it was sacred land for so many.

And now, here they were. Discussing how to bring her down. Or at least that’s what Hyejin guessed the leaders of the world were doing. Because they had to be doing something, she refused to believe they would turn a blind eye to this. Everyone had to know what happened and even when facing the most powerful super the world has seen, they had the number’s advantage. They could easily take her down. Yet, two weeks had passed since the incident. Two parties of the best international heroes had been set up and sent to find the Doctor and his small gang. Four days ago, the first party had gone missing. Yesterday, they lost contact with the second party. And as much as Hyejin wanted to have hope for the future, as much as Wheein tried to make her feel better, she knew deep inside they were doomed.

Seeing some of her favorite heroes go missing had been big blows to her confidence in this whole issue being resolved. She had been so sure they were going to be able to beat her easily and bring the bad guys to justice, just like they always did. But nothing had been worse than getting that call from Yong Sun unnie.

She and Wheein had been cuddling on her room, looking at news online of all the new information anyone could find when she heard her phone ringing. “Unnie? It’s rather late for a call, what’s up?” She asked as she laid her head down on the shared pillow with Wheein. She got no respond for a few seconds, all she could hear was Yongsun’s muffled cries. And she felt as if her blood had turned to ice. “They to-took her….T-They took them, Hyejin…Pl-Please, you have to help me, we…we have to help them!” Both girls quickly left Hyejin’s apartment after Wheein had gotten Hwasa out of her state of shock. On their way there, the older girl explained everything she knew.

Yong had been on a video call with Byul that night, like most nights. Everything had been fine until the peace had been disrupted by a loud sound coming from the first floor of the Moon’s house. Yong was going to tell Byul to stay where she was when several screams could be heard in the background. The last thing Yong Sun saw was Byul running out of the bedroom while screaming her brother’s name, then the call ended. She called the police to report what she had seen and flew as quickly as possible to the house. When she got there, the front door was completely blown apart, as if someone had just split it in half from a punch and the scene in front of her, made the mature girl unable to hold back her tears.

When Hyejin and Wheein got to their friend’s house, their hearts stopped as they saw an ambulance with two body bags inside, parked outside the house. Yong Sun saw them and quickly went to embrace them “I’m so sorry” She kept repeating over and over again through her cries “I came as fast as I could, I couldn’t do anything for them” Hyejin could barely understand what their unnie was saying. She hugged the two girls close to her. She had to place two and two together to figure out what was happening. MoonByul and Minseok were missing, kidnapped by someone. Unfortunately their parents had paid an even bigger price.

Needless to say, after being able to get themselves together, they began to look for Moon Byul and her brother. Or at least they tried. A police officer had overheard them and they were quickly stopped because not only did they not have their hero license yet, they couldn’t have people disrupting the order with everything that was going on right now. And they wouldn’t listen to the three friends when they insisted that Byul and Minseok had been taken by Doctor Kim. They had no proof of it, so Yong gave up on that. They were just wasting valuable time they could be using to find their friends by arguing with the officers.

Yong told them to pretend to go home and wait for her a couple of blocks away while she spoke with the police to give an official statement of everything she had done. Soon, Yong joined her friends, just as they were finishing a call. She noticed they looked like they had seen a ghost and asked what was wrong “…I just got a call from Minseok. But it wasn’t Minseok. A woman spoke, told me where they had taken Byul and Minseok, that we had to hurry” Wheein explained as she turned to look at the oldest of the group.

“We need to go right now. I-I’ll take you both with me, I can carry you both” Yong said as she reached to grab Wheein so she could carry her, when Hyejin quickly stopped her. “What are you doing, unnie? This is clearly a trap. We cannot trust this call. They probably don’t even have them there” She tried to reason but Yong snapped her arm away from Hyejin’s grip “They have her! I will not let them hurt her, you hear me? I am going, whether you two come with or not!”

Wheein and Hyejin exchanged looks before the short haired and after a few seconds, Hwasa had to give in “Fine. We are going. But we need some backups, there’s three of us and four of them that we know of. Minseok has friends too, right? We can ask for their help, I’m sure they won’t hesitate to help us. And they are a big group, at least we will have the number’s advantage” With this argument, Yong Sun gave Hyejin five minutes to contact them all and tell them what had happened. After that, she grabbed her two friends and managed to carry them to the abandoned warehouse where the woman said they had the Moon twins.

They had to stop Solar from going in right away as they had to wait for the guys. One by one, they arrived, even people from the second year neither Wheein nor Yong had ever spoken to. Thankfully, Hwasa seemed to know them so she told them everything they knew and how they hoped to rescue their friends “But why take them? They are not even supers yet. I don’t get it” One of Minseok’s friend asked, a tall guy named Kai. Everyone stayed silent, nobody had an answer for that question.

“I called more people, but they might take some time to get here. Just in case. Our classmates” Chen informed everyone, sharing a look with Solar, who nodded, thanking him. “Alright, that is enough standing around. We will barge in, take them by surprise. Our number one priority is our friends and their safety. If we have to fight, let me take care of Ray. You take the other three and help me as soon as you beat them” Yongsun said and before anyone could reply or argue, she shot up into the sky and let herself drop onto the ceiling of the warehouse. Everyone else had to react quickly and they all moved through the front door, making a hole through the metal door using Chen’s hands.

The place was very dark but Yongsun knew it was small, if Byul was here, she should be able to see her or anyone for that matter. But no one was here. In fact, it was mostly empty, except for a few big wooden boxes. Yong cursed out loud a few times, realizing they had been fooled by whoever had made the call. Everyone tried to look around the dark place for some clues, anything to give them hope. Hyejin was providing some light with her power. And the short black haired girl had been the first one to notice something on the ground, thanks to the smell that lingered on the air. A smell hard to forget.

“Guys…I found something…But you are not going to like it” She called everyone to where she was standing. In front of her, a trail of blood on the ground could be seen, it seemed to stop by the nearest wall. Yong frowned at the blood, getting angrier by the second, whoever this blood belonged to, they had lost too much of it. Finally, after inspecting the end of the trail, they lifted the wooden box that laid in front of it, only to discover a trap door on the floor, which they quickly opened. Looking down, it seemed like the stairs went on for about twenty meters into a metal hallway, no one could see or hear anything other than that. Just when a guy from the second year named Baek Hyun was about to go in, they heard screaming coming from inside. They all knew they had to hurry, the screams were going to haunt them forever if they didn’t save their friends.