Chapter 3

A Ray of Hope

The clock showed Yongsun that ten o’clock was quickly approaching so she checked herself one more time on her mirror and made her way out of her room, to go find her new friends. Friends. It was still a little weird for Yongsun, having real friends. They had only known each other for a week so far but they got along pretty well. Sure, they fought half of the time but they made up rather quickly too.

Even when she was little, it was hard for her to approach other children. They were so…immature. And Yongsun always preferred to hang out with the adults. But the adults weren’t her friends, not really. They were all nice but at the end of the day, she was just a kid to them. And Yong learned with the passing of years that most of them were nice to her because of her parent’s wealth. And she wasn’t complaining, she knew how lucky she was to grow up without having to worry about money, but at the same time it attracted a lot of fake people. Luckily Yongsun got pretty good at telling those kind of people apart from others. And her new group of friends, they definitely had honest intentions.

“Finally, princess. We only have five minutes left. If you hadn’t showed up, we would have left without you” Hwasa greeted the oldest member of the group and she laughed softly when Wheein reprimanded her for talking like that to their unnie and their friend “Sorry, I was just being honest” She heard the short haired girl reply as she went back to finishing her make up. Yongsun made her way to one of the girl’s bed, where MoonByul sat with her phone. Judging by the bunch of stuffed animals and cute pastel colors of the bed covers, this was Wheein’s bed.

“Hello, Byul” She said, as she sat down next to the other girl, who didn’t even look up from her phone but had the decency to reply with a “Hey”. And this is how Solar knew they were being honest with her, that they weren’t being hanging out with her because of her money. Sometimes, they were borderline rude to her and someone interested in her parent’s wealth would never be rude or anything less than super nice, really.

The five minutes went by pretty quickly and Yongsun would be lying if she said she wasn’t a little nervous. She wasn’t normally one to break the rules and half the people in KIS sneaking out to go to a party was definitely breaking several severe rules. But she wanted to have fun with her friends, for once. And they were all excited to go, which kind of all also got her excited about going.

When it was time, MoonByul stood up from the bed, followed by Yongsun, and closed her eyes. After a few seconds, she opened them and smiled, stepping aside from where she had been facing “Ladies first” She said, looking at Yong, who still found it super weird how MoonByul’s portals worked. She could hear something, as if wind were passing through the room but she couldn’t feel it, let alone see anything. She stepped forward, to where she know their exit was and surely, in the blink of an eye, she was standing in an alley she recognized, a couple of blocks from the Institute. Soon the other three girls joined her.

“So you and your brother can see them but no one else can? Why?” Hwasa asked as she fixed her hair, looking at her reflection on her phone. Moon Byul shrugged, she really had no answer as to why no one else could see her portals “But I still remember the first time I was able to make them and no one else could see them. I think our parents almost had a heart attack cause we were literally vanishing in thin air just to show up behind them. And considering they are both powerless, it must have been shocking at first” She laughed and closed her eyes, a few seconds later, the sound of the wind went away “Let’s go, then!”

The night went by pretty fast. They managed to get lost two times before managing to find their way to the correct house. Once there, the girls first made their way to the kitchen to grab something to drink and snacks. But of course Yongsun only let them have drinks without alcohol, despite the protests from the three younger women. In revenge, they took Yongsun to the dance floor. At first she was too embarrassed to actually dance but after a few minutes, she let go and began to have fun.

Soon, Moon Byul had gathered a group of people who were willing to play truth or dare. Her three friends had no idea how she managed to do it in the five minutes where she left them to go to the bathroom. Soon, everyone was revealing embarrassing secrets about themselves or completing crazy dares, mostly chosen by Byul, who seemed to have a power to come up with wicked ideas all the time.

At one point, Wheein was dared to go outside the house and twerk until someone passed by and saw her. She had been at it like ten minutes before someone passed by, considering it was incredibly late. Luckily Hyejin had joined her friend two minutes into her dare, to show her what twerking actually looked like. Everyone had laughed their butts off at the two friends, who turned the dare into a competition.

And just like that, time flew by for the small group of friends. Soon, it became time to go back. They left the party with plenty of time just in case they got lost again. Which they did. Twice. But they managed to make it in just in time, seconds away from when the alarms would be on again. Byul and Yongsun didn’t take the risk of going to their respective rooms, in case they were seen so they stayed, sharing a bed while the two best friends shared the other. Yong learned that the bed they had sat earlier actually belonged to Hyejin and Wheein’s bed was green and rather simple.

As Yong laid down next to her hamster looking friend, she thought back on everything that had happened that day, she thought of all the amazing moments like this that she had missed because she had never had real friends. And finally, she remembered Wheein’s words tonight, told in secret while the other two girls fought over a cute stuffed animal Byul had fell in love with “Even if she likes messing with you sometimes, I know Hyejin actually likes you, unnie. I like you too. And Byul as well, I heard her say it yesterday. We’re all happy to be your friends” Yongsun was happy to be their friends too.

 

Just as our girls fell asleep…

“No, no no!” The black haired man slammed his hands on the table in front of him. Just a week ago, he had managed to do the unthinkable. Something others only dreamed of. Bringing back the dead to life was not an easy task, it had taken him many years to come up with ideas on how to execute his plan.

But after looking around the world for the exact thing he needed, his wishes were granted. In the form of a young woman named Rachel. She had promised the young woman food and shelter for the rest of her life if she let him use her powers for his experiments. Being a girl from the street, someone who had never even met her parents, she desperately said yes. But she was only part of his plans. Soon, he had found Jackson, the other half that could finally make his dreams come true. He had been harder to convince but the black haired man would not give up easily and managed to use Rachel to lure Jackson and make him stay, as he fell in love with her.

Jackson could create copies of people, anyone he came in contact with, an exact replica. Well, not exact per say. This doppelgangers were usually a lot more aggressive and seemed to have a thirst for destruction, which amused him to no end. And even if that part had not been originally in the Doctor’s plan, he accepted it with open arms. And Rachel, with her electric powers and all the different machines the Doctor had managed to build. They had done it. They had brought the doppelganger Jackson had created back to life, doppelgangers of dead people seemed to be just as dead, the body wouldn’t decay but then again, it wouldn’t do much of anything.

They had done it, only for a few minutes though. Something had gone wrong and he couldn’t quite figure out what.

Rachel and Jackson stood in a corner of the room, watching the Doctor in silence. He was staring down at his notes, looking for the mistake, something he might have missed. He was clearly shaking, his forehead covered in sweat, his eyes red from the lack of sleep. “…That’s it” He said under his breath, as something clicked in his mind “I found the error…This could actually work for good next time”