Chapter 1

A Ray of Hope

Being a super hero is what every kid wants, everyone secretly dreams they could have been born with the special abilities to be able to protect others from the forces of evil, to be known all over the world as a symbol of good. Everyone, but one.

It was 1916 when he rose. Known only as Mr. Em, the most wanted super villain in the whole world. He sought to have control of everything and destroyed whatever or whoever stood in his way. Until finally, three years after the destruction began, he met his match. A Ray of sunshine fell down from the sky, giving everyone hope.

It is said that their fight lasted for hours as they sent blows to each other. Mr. Em’s darkness superpower could create entire different realities and trapped himself and Ray in one of them. At the end, the sun shone brightly as only one came back from the dark. But unfortunately, Ray had been deadly wounded and not even the nearest healer could do anything to save her.

“Today, a hundred years have passed since Ray died to protect us all. To this day, no matter how much researchers have tried, not much is known about her. It’s like she literally fell down from the sky on that specific day just to fight. After the world had managed to somewhat recover from all the destruction, every country gathered and decided to create one academy in every major city all around the world. From all over the country, the most promising of super humans gather here to receive top quality training for two years, which will prepare them to face crime the rest of their lives. In front of me, I see so many young faces. You are our future, in your hands it’s the safety of this world. Just because Mr. Em is gone does not mean evil left our planet, we must always be prepared. Welcome, new students to the Korean Institute for Supers, created to honor the memory of Ray. We expect great things from all of you and remember that from now on, you represent this amazing institution. Thank you” The principal bowed once before smiling to the two dozen of students they had accepted this year, he really hoped everything would go smoothly this year too but he had a weird feeling in the pit of his stomach. Like something just wasn’t right.

All the students clapped, some seemed more invested in the speech than others but everyone was respectful of their principal. He had been a great hero for many years until he decided to retire and be the head of the KIS.

Wheein sighed as a young looking woman with a huge pair of wings took the spot the principal had been in and began to call out names. The two dozen students were separated in two groups, Wheein’s group was led by the woman with wings. Finally they reached a huge placed that seemed like the gym of the academy “Please, listen, enter through this door to your right and go change. Everyone has a locker with their name and inside you will find your gym uniform, they were specifically made for each of you, based on all the information you submitted while applying to the Academy. Once you are done, come back out so we can begin our first activity!” She smiled brightly and even Wheein, who was normally a happy person, got weirded out by her energy. It just seemed like too much.

The short haired blonde felt someone tug at her arm and she began to walk, looking at her best friend “Hyejin, isn’t this exciting? Our first day here, I still can’t believe we both got in!” Wheein said happily as they made their way to the women’s locker room to change.

 

“I know, I’m happy too. I can’t wait to show off my power in front of everyone. I will be the next Ray, just you wait and see” Hyejin replied as she took opened her locker to look inside. She heard someone snicker at her comment and turned her attention towards them “What are you laughing at?” She said, trying to sound tough. But Wheein knew better, Hyejin was really soft on the inside, she just didn’t like people knowing this.

“I just find it funny that you think your powers will impress people here. We are all the best of the best of our generation. Look around you, everyone here has won their spot because they stood out in their own cities” A girl with long pink hair replied cockily to Hyejin. Her pretty looks clearly made her stand out from the rest, as well as her confident aura. Kim Yongsun could be read in her locker “I was actually accepted two years ago but I wanted more time to prepare. Luckily my family is very involved with the Institute and were able to…give some contributions to the institute so I could have two years to travel places and learn before finally coming here. I can safely say I am way more prepared than all of you”

A white haired girl groaned loudly and closed her locker, the letters in her locker read Moon Byul Yi “No one asked for your life story, sweetheart” She said with a playful smirk on her face and shot Hyejin a look, making her smirk too. Hyejin decided she liked this girl right away. Which meant Wheein liked the girl right away too!

One by one, they all left the locker room with their new clothes. Their uniforms were all black and red, the colors of the KIS but all varied forms and shapes to accommodate them better. For example, Wheein’s uniform consisted of shorts, a loose shirt and sneakers while Hyejin’s was a one piece that covered most of her body except for her hands and feet, and the same sneakers her best friend had.

Once everyone was ready, the woman introduced herself as Luna, their gym teacher for this year. “Today, we will introduce ourselves and just do a couple of exercises to create a bond between you all. Remember you will be on the same class for the next two years so you might as well get along, huh?” She asked with a big smile and some students nodded “Great! When your name is called out, please come to the front and state some information you want us to know about yourself, choose your alias by which you will go as once you become an official hero and finally demonstrate your power for everyone!” Everyone was weirded out by the last part, how was she going to prepare this place for all of them without taking all day? Shouldn’t had this been done before they got here?

“Okay, let’s start with…Son Seungwan! Please go stand in the red circle!” A big eyed girl stood up and made her way to the middle of the gym, where a red circle had been painted on the floor, she smiled softly at everyone “Hello, my name is Seungwan, I am 18, like most of you guys. My alias will be Wendy. I hope in this next two years I can learn everything there is to know to become a great hero and my power is elasticity” She finished her introduction by bowing. As soon as she was done, some mechanical noises could be heard and she felt the floor moving. She looked scared towards their teacher who was smiling calmly. After a few seconds, everything stopped and now the gym looked different. Many things had come out from the floor or the ceiling.

“Now, Miss Son, to be able to demonstrate your superpower I prepared this bars on the ceiling of the gym. You will need to stretch exactly fifteen meters to be able to reach them. Once you do, please feel free to do anything else you might think will demonstrate your abilities to their full capability” Seungwan nodded nervously and did as she was told. She started her arms to grab onto the bars and pulled herself up to them. After that, she began to move around the gym with her power, covering distances way more quickly than running. Yong Sun could be seen writing things down in a red notebook she had pulled out from somewhere. Nobody knew where exactly.

“Amazing! Thank you so much Miss Son, you are already a very capable individual but I assure you, by the end of next year you will be able to use your powers in ways you didn’t even know were possible” Luna began clapping and some students followed as Seungwan returned to her spot, a soft blush on her cheeks.

And just like that, the rest of the students got up and introduced themselves one by one. Sometimes the gym would have to change for one of them to be able to demonstrate their powers safely. Thankfully everything went okay and they finished just in time for lunch.