Chapter 8

Prince of Hearts

Although Taemin was horrified at the way his master was being treated, he was smart enough not to utter a word in Prince Jinki's presence. What he couldn't understand is why the prince, who was nice to him, was so horrible to Jonghyun. After knocking politely, Taemin entered and started to assist Prince Jinki with his bath.

”Come here, lad”

”Your Highness, may I ask you something?”

Once the Prince nodded, Taemin cleared his throat and mustered up all of his courage. 

“Your Highness, do you truly hate my master?”

Jinki truly didn’t know how he could even answer that question without offending the boy who now gazed up at him like a nervous puppy. 

“I don’t know him, lad. It will take me a lot more time to learn to trust him”

”Is that why you insisted on a different room?”

"Just go to sleep lad. We'll have to rise early tomorrow"

Jonghyun spent his night tossing and turning, trying to replay all of the events that had happened so he could figure out what he had done wrong. Waking up early, Jonghyun entered the stables and started to groom the horses himself, much to the chagrin and horror of the innkeeper.

"Your Majesty, we have stable boys who will take care of this. Please go back to your room. I have arranged a grand feast in your honor"

"Fret not, my good man. Their horses have been in my care since they were foals, and I enjoy tending to them"

Smiling as he felt the stallions rub their noses against his shoulder, Jonghyun felt all of his worries disappear. He knew exactly what to do next. Jonghyun planned to court Jinki the way he was supposed to, in the first place. After sending for Taemin on his way back to his room, Jonghyun thought of how he could start to woo his prince.

"My Lord, why hadn't you sent for me before? I would have helped you with your attire"

"From now on, you will be Prince Jinki's page and will assist him with whatever he needs. This would help train you for the future"

"But, My Lord, what about you? I can serve both of you"

"Go to your new master, lad and don't worry about me. I can take care of myself"

Jinki woke up in a strange place. One that he wasn't accustomed to. As he rubbed his eyes and remembered all that had happened, he heard a soft knock and the young boy nervously poked his head through the door.

"My Lord, how may I assist you? Shall I call for a hot bath?"

"No, lad. Go to your master and leave me be for a while"

"My Lord, I will be serving you from now on"

This was odd, but Jinki wasn't someone who passed on anything that came his way. Based on what he had observed, it was quite obvious that the lad, Taemin both adored and idolized Jonghyun. His face seemed like that of the upper-class merchants, if not royalty, but his manners were impeccable. It seemed quite obvious that Jonghyun hadn't intended on Taemin staying as a page for much longer.

Following the tantalizing smells that wafted up till the window, Jinki strolled into the dining hall, Taemin in tow. Somehow Jonghyun seemed to have had a hand in what had been prepared. All of Jinki's favorite food decorated the main table, where Jonghyun sat, waiting. Chicken cooked with spices, roasted pheasant with smooth creamy potatoes, and mulled wine to wash it all down. Unbeknownst to anyone around him, these were what Jinki had eaten as a child. Feeling his mood instantly improve, Jinki smiled at Jonghyun brightly, before tucking in. Just as he had expected, the food was succulent and well seasoned. In fact, they all tasted even better than they smelled, a feat he had once thought was impossible. Excusing himself, Jinki walked into the kitchen to the shock of a wide-eyed cook, to whom he presented a purse. Jinki was certain he would visit this inn again, and sample their wares at least once a month. 

Approached by a serving wench who whispered the happenings in the kitchen in his ear, Jonghyun smiled to think of how warm and soft Jinki seemed to be. Now that it was time to depart, Jonghyun kept thinking of how Jinki would react if he sat next to him in the carriage this time.

"I trust you have dined well, my prince. I propose we leave for the kingdom now so that we can reach by sundown"

Jonghyun saw the prince nod silently and counted the fact that he wasn't contradicted, as a personal victory. Purchasing a lute from a wandering minstrel, Jonghyun got the horses ready and sat by the driver. They had a long way to go, and he was determined to make each moment count.

Knowing that Jinki was certainly asleep, and not wanting to shake him awake, Jonghyun used his secret weapon in the hopes that it would help his situation.

Jinki found himself transported to a happier time, the instant he heard the notes of an old folk song. He saw himself as a five-year-old, sitting under an apple tree with his father playing the tune on a lute. They’d finish up by picking enough apples for a pie for dessert, and he’d eat all he could, before going to bed with his father, the king, his hair while whispering a lullaby. Those were the days when the first snowfall was always the whitest. Breaking free from his daydream, Jinki realized that the notes were coming from somewhere really close to him. Specifically, they were coming from outside the carriage. Almost jumping out in his haste, Jinki started to hum along to the music, with his eyes closed. He started to sing the song with his beautiful voice and found himself being joined by someone with a more powerful voice than him. Although he couldn't see whose divine voice that was, Jinki satisfied himself by continuing to sing a duet with his partner. For the first time in years, he felt genuinely happy.