Chapter 4

Prince of Hearts

Jonghyun couldn't shake off the feeling of anxiety he felt when he was visited by the Herald again. This time, the bandit had made a mistake and had almost been caught by the servants at the kingdom he robbed last. A physical description of the clothes he wore had been sent to all of the remaining kingdoms. Shocked when one of the guards had admitted to seeing someone of a similar description, Jonghyun insisted on a portrait to be created by his artist and circulated around the kingdom. The bandit had come too close to his kingdom, and yet no one had stopped him. That wouldn't do, at all. They all had to be more vigilant, and as per the direction in which the robberies were happening, Jonghyun was sure it would be his turn very soon.

In the meantime, Jinki had found out what he needed about his next target. Prince Jonghyun. Although he had never seen him in the flesh, he did find out about his skilled fighting techniques. Prince Jonghyun seemed to be a formidable opponent, but truth be told, Jinki planned to reach the castle by nightfall and completely evade the folk who spent their hours patrolling. Years of practice had made Jinki's steps as light as that of a fox, and he had the stealth and speed of a cheetah, which always helped him to make a speedy getaway. Jinki really couldn't wait to wreak havoc upon that kingdom and its inhabitants. He would finally get his revenge.

Jonghyun knew what his vassals thought of him; a prince like him shouldn't be forced to stand guard on a daily basis. Instead, they expected him to live the way his family used to. Jonghyun couldn't help being different, and he honestly enjoyed being with his vassals, side by side. It helped him understand them better, and he knew he would be able to rule them wisely, because of this experience. 

Jinki had armed himself with a longsword, anticipating that the night wasn't going to be as easy as he'd expected. Leading his army of gypsies, Jinki charged ahead, hoping to catch them unawares. Knowing that he may not be able to rob the guard in time, Jinki changed his tactics and made his way towards the castle. As he got closer, Jinki heard the most deafening sound and stopped in his tracks. They had been spotted. Instantly, he heard a loud roar, similar to a battle cry and unsheathed his sword just in time. Jumping backward to avoid a sword slashing into his face, Jinki was instantly on the defensive. His opponent was dressed like a lowly peasant, but his manner was anything but that. He had light blonde hair and muscles that seemed to bulge from his torso. Although Jinki had received training in the art of swordplay, he was really no match for his barbarian. His opponent seemed to fight in a ruthless manner, as though he didn't mind making a kill for his ruler. 

Jonghyun had been the first one to spy the bandit sneaking around and immediately started to follow him. Once Taemin had issued the warning, his 'army' had rushed in to take care of the nuisance they were facing, while Jonghyun charged towards their leader. As per the previous description he had been given, the bandit was dressed all in black, with his face covered so that one could only notice his eyes. Although the bandit was finding it hard to parry his strikes, Jonghyun could clearly see that he had been trained. The bandit knew how to fight, and that sword of his seemed to be of a royal make. Judging by the ease in which he was using it, it seemed to be the first thing that the bandit had stolen. Chasing the slippery bandit around his estate, Jonghyun stopped as they entered the walls of his castle. Spotting a movement behind the bandit, Jonghyun let his attention waver for a second.

Making full use of the situation, Jinki grabbed a nearby vase and threw it at his attacker, injuring his forehead. Not stopping to check the damage he had done, Jinki went on, towards the royal chamber and was stopped by a chit of a boy. A blonde thing, looking to be in his early teens had the gall to challenge him. Laughing at the impudence of the boy, Jinki brought his sword forward, slashing the boy's arm and forcing him to drop the puny knife he held. For the first time ever, Jinki felt upset over the fact that he had injured two people. Watching the boy collapse and faint at the sight of his blood, Jinki looked around to make sure there was none but him, before tearing off a bit of cloth and binding the arm of the motionless creature. Looking through the window, Jinki could see his army of gypsies had all abandoned him, escaping from these savages and their counter-attack. Seizing his opportunity, Jinki walked into the royal chambers and laid his hands on everything he could find. Filling his sack, he prepared to leave when he was yet again, stopped by the peasant with the imperial manner. Dropping the sack of valuables momentarily, Jinki made up his mind to take care of this nuisance once and for all. He fought with a viciousness unlike himself and kept striking back even though his hands were blistered due to lack of practice. There was no way he could get away without being unmasked, and his secret laid out for all the world to see. The lad from earlier advanced once more to challenge him, and since he was obviously the weakest of the three of them, Jinki swung his sword towards him. Feeling an intense shock as the warrior stepped forward and took the hit, Jinki made his escape as the boy sank to his knees and held on to the warrior's body with tears streaming from his eyes. There was something odd about that warrior peasant and the lad and Jinki knew that he surely had to get to the bottom of things.