Chapter 7

Prince of Hearts

Jinki was livid. Could that boor really be a prince? That too, the prince he was going to marry? This wasn’t the way things were supposed to be. How could he have been so stupid to agree to this marriage without even meeting his fiancé face to face? There was no way he would marry someone like that person who didn't even know how to dress. That person was a brute and Jinki planned on getting their so-called marriage annulled as soon as he could. 

Jonghyun, on the other hand, was really thrilled to know that he was the winner of the tournament. One of Prince Jinki's courtiers approached him to announce that Prince Jinki had agreed to their marriage. Although Jonghyun was surprised that the prince had agreed without even seeing him, this was a wonderful thing to happen to his subjects as he would legally be able to use some of Prince Jinki's wealth to line his own coffers. The most important thing he had to do, was to make Prince Jinki like him. Although he didn't look it, Jonghyun possessed a soft heart and couldn’t bear to force the gentle prince to do something he wasn’t comfortable with. What Jonghyun wasn’t prepared for, was the fury on the prince’s face as he said his vows in front of those who had raised him. Had he said something to offend Prince Jinki?

Horrified and disgusted with himself, Jinki let his anger show as he repeated the vows that bound him to Prince Jonghyun. As was the custom, he was given away by his oldest courtier, and Prince Jonghyun signed the documents that gave him control of half the kingdom. True, he looked like a lost puppy, but how could Jinki even begin to trust him with his deepest secret? There was no way this prince would support him, let alone join him. Jinki had a better chance of enlisting the help of the page, even if it meant that he had to seduce him to do his bidding. Retiring to his chamber once the ceremony was complete, Jinki started to pack his things. It made more sense for them to spend an equal amount of time at both their kingdoms and strengthen their joint defenses. 

"My Prince, what is your pleasure? Please let me know what you like, so I will have it ready by the time we reach my kingdom"

"How dare you win the tournament and claim my hand?"

"I have a duty towards my vassals, which is why I had participated"

"You disgust me. I know you only want my property and riches to salvage what you can from the ruins of your paltry kingdom"

"My Prince, I swear that I care for you"

"Liar, I will never permit you to touch me"

Shocked at this outburst, Jonghyun inclined his head slightly and left the chamber. It wouldn't be easy for the prince to leave his home, and though he was right to note the differences in the financial positions of their respective kingdoms, that jibe hurt. If his brother had managed to keep their coffers filled, then it would be Jonghyun who'd have organized a tournament, and he would have absolutely no need to participate in all of the tournaments that offered coin as compensation. He'd arranged a carriage to transport the three of them, but the way his new husband had been looking at him, it was certain that Jonghyun would have to ride ahead and leave the lad to protect the prince.

Jinki was escorted into the carriage by the young page, while his husband mounted one of the horses. Based on how nonchalant everyone around him was, Jinki understood that this act of his husband was quite normal. However, what Jinki didn't miss was the hurt expression in Jonghyun's eyes as he yelled at him. Disregarding his earlier plan of seducing the lad, Jinki decided to draw him out and find out more about Jonghyun. 

"Lad, tell me of your master"

"Your Highness, my master has been handling the affairs of state ever since he was quite young. His brother, the King, perished in a war many years ago"

"What of you? How have you come to serve your master?"

"When my mother passed on, my master brought me with him to the palace"

Why would Jonghyun bring a random orphan with him? Why this particular one? Only time would tell. Nodding, Jinki pretended to be asleep and soon found his heavy eyes closing for the rest of his journey.

Jonghyun pulled the horses to a halt at a nearby inn and purchased two rooms for themselves. Since he'd had no sleep at all, he could feel his eyes closing every few minutes and would surely have a mishap without the needed rest. Savoring the fresh, cool breeze as he approached the carriage, he found his prince slumped in his seat, his breathing deep and even, as he slept. Jinki's features seemed soft and relaxed, which was a side Jonghyun hadn't seen at all. Almost as if he knew he was being watched, Jinki awoke with a start, recoiling from the hand Jonghyun had extended. 

"We'll be spending the night at this inn, my Prince. I've purchased two rooms and have called for a bath as well"

Jinki tapped the shoulder of the sleeping lad and walked out of the carriage without looking back. By the time Jonghyun woke the sleeping Taemin and entered the inn, the owner informed him that Prince Jinki had already occupied one of the rooms. Hastening his steps and opening the door, he was greeted by a very angry Jinki.

"I don't permit you to enter"

"But...my Prince..."

"Get out, and send the lad in. He will keep me company for this night"

Though he was shocked, Jonghyun tried to think as the prince did. Homesickness was possible, and the young Taemin posed no threat to Jinki, whom Jonghyun supposed, had become more familiar with the lad than he let on. Shrugging his shoulders good-naturedly, Jonghyun left the room and sent Taemin inside.

"My Lord, but this isn't supposed to happen"

"That's alright, lad. Go help Prince Jinki"