Chapter 2

Prince of Hearts

Prince Jinki reveled in the fact that his estate was the largest in the kingdom, and he would easily spare the coin that was required for its upkeep. Although he didn't want to get married this early, he trusted the judgement of his wise advisors who had insisted that the tournament had to be held. For some reason, they had said that it was highly important to know who was the most powerful among all the princes around them. Jinki was aware of the fact that almost all the kingdoms that surrounded his own, were under the impression that he was vague, weak and stupid. This had just made it much easier for him to do what he had planned. No one could tell what was going on behind his seemingly shy exterior, and that was exactly how Jinki liked it. As the only son, Jinki had grown up to become a spoilt brat with a prickly side. Whatever he wanted, he got. With no exceptions. Jinki's mother had died at childbirth, leaving him, the only heir to the throne. He'd had a wet nurse who adored him, and became the mother Jinki had never had. It was her who had taken him out of his castle to see the real world around him. The world he had never known even existed. For the first time, he had seen poverty. The people he was supposed to take care of were toiling harder than ever, just so that their little pampered, privileged prince could get anything and everything that struck his fancy. That was the minute Jinki decided to do whatever it takes to ensure that his subjects would never go to bed hungry again, even if it meant him having to live a completely different type of life.

When he turned seventeen, Jinki created his new, secret life and over the last six years, he had got really good at hiding it from those he knew. This was the reason he had agreed to host the tournament. He needed a partner for his secret double life. Truth be told, it was becoming rather cumbersome and Jinki felt as though he was getting too old for this kind of deceit. However, what the others didn't know surely wouldn't hurt him and that very thought spurred him onto continuing. Rubbing his hair with soot to change the color, Jinki changed into a pair of black braccae with a midnight blue colored tunic. Forgoing his black cloak this time, Jinki focused instead on covering his face with a piece of loose cloth which ensured that only his deep brown eyes were visible. After carefully streaking his cheeks with soot in the hope that he wouldn't be recognized unintentionally, Jinki set off on his thoroughbred to the stables at the edge of his estate. Once he reached the stable and tied up his thoroughbred, Jinki whistled to his trustworthy Arabian horse, which came to his side instantly. Nodding to the stable boy, Jinki lovingly the Arabian's nose before unfolding an old, wrinkled map from his pocket. Marking a big X on his next targeted location, Jinki rode his swift horse as he collected the rest of his team on the way. His so-called team consisted of gypsies, with whom he would split the booty he was able to acquire. They traveled together on that full moon night to the location Jinki had chosen. Grinning as he saw how quiet everything was, Jinki took out a small jewel-encrusted dagger from his hip and watched it gleam in the moonlight. His timing, as usual, was perfect. 

Creeping around the village as stealthily as he could, Jinki and his band of bandits walked over bravely to the castle and boldly entered the grounds. There seemed to be a very few number of guards, all of whom were fast asleep and snoring loudly. Laughing silently to himself as he fixed the helmet of one of the guards, Jinki led his band of men inside the castle grounds. As quick as a fox, Jinki threw a thick rope which got caught on a spike and scaled the castle wall with ease, dropping silently onto one of the main corridors. The master of this castle certainly seemed to be rich, judging by the various jeweled busts placed along the way to the royal chambers. By this time, his men had managed to enter the castle, dressed as guards and started collecting the busts carefully before tossing a large burlap sack to Jinki, who then proceeded to enter the chamber of the ladies-in-waiting. As he had predicted, the women had removed all of their jewelry and left them right next to their bedside, which made it really accessible to him. Sweeping them into his sack, Jinki opened the wardrobe and took out their jewelry boxes and emptied them all, before proceeding to the final chamber on his list. His eyes gleaming with pride and pleasure, Jinki strolled into the King's chamber and emptied it of all items of value, including fur pelts and stockings of the finest silk. Although he was a bandit who stole from the rich, Jinki would never lay a finger on the coffers, so as not to cause trouble for the lowliest peasants. He only stole jewels and personal trinkets of value that belonged to the royals which they could easily replace. It seemed to be his lucky night as all of the castle's inhabitants had hardly stirred when he entered their chambers. Collecting his booty for the day, Jinki loosened the rope from the spike on the wall and looped it around his waist, before leaving the castle along with his men. Another job well done, as usual. Mentally patting himself on the back, Jinki rode to their hideout and split the booty into shares before visiting the traveling merchant who always bought what he had to offer. He traded the jewels and pelts under the name of Junsu, so that no one would ever find out who he really was. When he was Junsu, Jinki was able to do whatever he wanted to, and never needed to hide his skills. His darkest secret kept him in high spirits and something within told Jinki that he would never lose this secret identity.