Chapter 13

Prince of Hearts

Once they reached the castle, Jonghyun's mind started whirring with how to tell Taemin the truth. All through the return journey, his mind had been otherwise occupied with endless thoughts of Jinki. He'd never known how playful Jinki could be, and it was extremely refreshing to see this side of his. It made more sense to tell Taemin the truth when Jinki was around. The lad seemed to worship Jinki, and as far as Jonghyun could see, Jinki seemed to be rather fond of Taemin as well. 

Pretending to check the menu for dinner, Jinki quickly took some ingredients that would help him make the sleeping draught. Jinki managed to sneak into a corner, where he would be unobserved where he slowly boiled some water and added lavender, chamomile and a bit of powdered ginger and stirred. The draught was clear, and so he knew that no one would notice if he added it to Jonghyun's goblet of wine that evening. That evening, Jinki took extra care in his appearance, meaning to distract Jonghyun from noticing anything. Though he knew this was deceitful, at that moment of time, Jinki couldn't think of anything else which would work as effectively as this. 

Jonghyun noticed that there seemed to be something completely different about Jinki but just couldn't put his finger on it, no matter how hard he tried. Flushing bright scarlet as he felt Jinki's hand brush against his as he leaned over to take a goblet, Jonghyun struggled to maintain his emotions. In any case, he definitely couldn't let anyone else notice how his face changed. Bending down as if to pick up a fork, Jonghyun frantically fanned himself from under the table where none could see him.

At the moment, it really seemed as though Jonghyun was playing right into Jinki's hands. Knowing how Jonghyun would react, Jinki made it a point to keep touching him till the breaking point. As he expected, Jonghyun bent down to get himself back to normal, and Jinki seized his chance. Taking out a small vial of the clear liquid from inside his tunic, Jinki quickly poured the contents into the goblet closest to Jonghyun. Based on the lad joining them at the table, Jinki guessed that the time to tell Taemin the truth had finally come. Turning away to speak to the lad, Jinki pretended as though he had done nothing out of the ordinary. Looking at his husband, who had by now sat back in his seat, Jinki thought of another idea by which he could distract him, long enough for the sleeping draught to mix with the wine. 

Jonghyun shivered with desire as Jinki suddenly ran his stockinged foot along his shin and up to his knee. He couldn't, for the life of him, figure out why Jinki seemed hot one moment, and cold the other. Jonghyun noticed the lad take advantage of the scene and quickly swipe his goblet of wine. Since Taemin had never been allowed to try the wine before, Jonghyun knew that he would feel intoxicated soon enough, and the headache he would experience the following morning would be punishment enough for him. Watching Taemin struggle to control his yawns, Jonghyun quickly hauled the boy to his feet to take him to his chamber. 

Jinki looked up to both Taemin and Jonghyun yawning. So this meant that Jonghyun would have surely finished his wine. Half expecting Jonghyun to fall asleep on the way to the lad's chamber, Jinki swiftly walked to his chamber and started to change. Off came his embroidered tunic, and on came his disguise. Just two more robberies and then he would be finished with that world of his. Though there wasn't any soot around, Jinki was quite sure that he wouldn't be recognized at all. After all, his kidnappers only saw his 'royal' clothes and thought he was weak. Jinki was prepared to give them a taste of their own medicine. Since Jonghyun would be otherwise occupied, it didn't matter if he'd made a little noise. Dropping his sword with a resounding clang, Jinki quickly looked around to see if anyone had heard the noise. Even after waiting a few minutes, the fact that there was no one who came running filled Jinki with confidence. After wrapping the cloth around his head, and gathering some rope to tie around his waist, Jinki finally felt ready. As he opened the door to his chamber, Jinki felt a sudden shock run through his body when he saw his husband, leaning against the door frame, most certainly wide awake. 

"Are you going somewhere, my prince?"

"N...No..I just"

"You know I can't permit you to go by yourself"

Jinki stopped in his tracks as he heard what Jonghyun had said. Stunned as he watched Jonghyun enter the chamber and take off his tunic, Jinki found his attention taken away by the sight of Jonghyun's heavenly body. Jonghyun, dressed exactly like him, left the room first, and Jinki followed, flabbergasted. 

"What are you doing?"

"I told you, I can't let you go alone. I'm going with you"

Jonghyun had seen the stubborn expression on Jinki's face when he had asked him not to do this, earlier. As far as he knew, Jinki would surely try something to get his own way, especially as this would end up being his moment of revenge. Two heads were better than one, and Jonghyun would be the support for this task. He'd been suspicious at the way Jinki was acting earlier while they dined, and luckily for him, the lad had drunk all the wine, and it was now Taemin who was happily snoring in his bed. After putting the boy to bed, Jonghyun had gone back to the table to check if there was something in the food. By a of luck, he was able to notice that one of the goblets smelled a little funny. He could smell lavender, instead of the usual earthy scent of wine. The expression on Jinki's face when he saw him, had been priceless. When he wanted to, Jonghyun could also creep about like a cat, the only difference was that he was actually silent. Not allowing Jinki to say anything, Jonghyun took him by the hand as they saddled both their horses and set off towards the castle of their enemies. How could he even allow the two men to go away unpunished when they had dared to kidnap Jinki?