Chapter 1

Prince of Hearts

"Your Highness, we've received this proclamation that a prince from the nearby land is looking for suitors"

"You know well that we are in no position to compete for that”

Jonghyun felt a headache coming along, the more he thought about how he was going to save his lands. The estate that had once flourished, had now changed entirely. The last war they had faced had diminished most of their assets and when his older brother was killed in action, Jonghyun instantly got the title of a prince. A title that he had never wanted, but which was now upon him. He had a duty towards his subjects, who were working extra hard in their fields to ensure the harvest was tripled. Jonghyun was lucky to have subjects who loved him. In fact, it was his courtiers who taught him how to rule. His brother, the king had sent him to learn how to fight, ever since he was young. Jonghyun had been apprenticed to a knight who taught him everything he knew.

One of the ways by which Jonghyun was able to earn more funds was by taking part in the various jousting tournaments held. Although Jonghyun really didn’t like doing it, he would even participate as other rulers’ champion which was a way for him to help his people.

Although he initially threw away the proclamation that was sent to him, Jonghyun found himself secretly opening it again, when there was no one around to see. Prince Jinki was hosting a tournament where there was jousting, wrestling and sword fighting where he would consider the winner to be his suitor. The tournament would be held three months later, which gave everyone plenty of time to practice. Personally, he was good at all of these, thanks to his years of intensive training. He remembered Prince Jinki, having seen him once from afar, many years ago. Prince Jinki had a kind, open face with the most gorgeous, sunny smile Jonghyun had ever seen. It would be good if he was able to attend the tournament. 

Jonghyun donned his heavy armor and mounted his horse, lance in hand. He had a special place where he spent his time practicing and riding his horse. A black stallion, Romeo had been with Jonghyun since he was a colt and together, the duo was unstoppable. On good days, the commander in chief of his small army of warriors would help him train, and Jonghyun had quickly earned a name for himself as being a formidable foe in battle. As he the long mane of his loyal Romeo, Jonghyun's mind kept wandering back to thoughts of Prince Jinki. After he finished his riding practice for the day, Jonghyun rode back to his estate and called for his page. Little Taemin had been apprenticed to him since he was a mere lad of eight years, and now he had blossomed into a strapping youth of thirteen years. It was almost time for Jonghyun to start Taemin's training into knighthood, but the lad wasn't ready for that level of intense training yet. He would have to take the lad with him to this tournament and train him during all the months he had left. Although Jonghyun himself was only twenty-five years old, he had grown wise for his years since he had to assume responsibility much earlier than expected, due to his brother's demise.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Jonghyun lowered himself into the hot bath that the boy had drawn for him. The hot water soothed his tired and aching muscles while the boy gently massaged his shoulders. He had to admit, the boy was highly skilled with his hands. There had always been something about the boy that bothered him. This boy always seemed to have stars in his eyes when he looked at him. The child had always treated him as though he was some sort of God. Abruptly breaking out of his reverie, Jonghyun sent a hurt looking Taemin away, before he completed his duties of assisting with his shaving and dressing. Jonghyun still hadn't gotten used to his princely perks which involved having a page who assisted him, almost as though he was in need of a handmaiden. Of course, his brother was used to the lap of luxury and had dozens of handmaidens and chambermaids around him. Jonghyun knew it was not good to speak ill of the dead, but his brother had grown into an unchivalrous lout and a womanizer, who had fathered a child with one of the handmaidens. Though Jonghyun was a mere lad of twelve years, he had managed to convince his parents not to send the disgraced handmaiden away until she had delivered her baby. When the baby boy was delivered, Jonghyun had arranged for the mother and child to be transported safely out of the palace with enough coin to manage their life. Once the handmaiden passed on, Jonghyun ensured that the child was sent to him, as a page. Though the child was the bastard son of his brother, Jonghyun loved and cared for him as though he was his own. Under his strict orders, no one was to tell the boy the truth. Anyone who did would be banished. Now that he was the only surviving member of the royal family, he could take his rightful place as the King and name Taemin as Prince and heir to the throne. He'd never done this, as the boy would be prone to attacks from everyone around them. He couldn't place the boy in danger like that and had instructed everyone at the castle to treat him as a mere page. Though his vassals kept urging him to assume his true title, Jonghyun felt ashamed. How could a King without riches claim a crown as his own?

Until he was able to restore his estate to its former glory, Jonghyun would remain a Prince. Instead of raising the taxes, he had given a portion of the castle grounds to his vassals, where they continued to live and tend to the animals. Jonghyun was known as the prince with the kind heart and was loved by all that bowed down to him. Now that he couldn't afford what he used to, Jonghyun made the decision that he would win the upcoming tournament where the winner would get as much gold as they could carry, as well as a chance to be Prince Jinki's suitor.