A Morning of Summer Kisses

A Hint of Jasmine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sana woke up to find herself gazing at an unfamiliar nightstand, sleeping in an unfamiliar room. There was a brief moment in which Sana panicked, forgetting where she was, but the familiar scent of jasmine grounded her instantly, reminding Sana that she had fallen asleep in Mina's bedroom last night.

Mina's slumbering form was pressed up against her, cuddly and soft, with Mina's arm draped gently across her waist. And as Sana shifted ever so slightly in bed, Mina let out a tiny moan of complaint and unconsciously pulled Sana even closer, as though she couldn't bear to be away from Sana for even a moment as they slept. Sana smiled sleepily and sidled up against Mina, enjoying all the extra affection that Mina was lavishing on her these last few hours since they officially became girlfriends.

Sana smiled to herself again in the darkness. Girlfriends. She loved the way that word sounded.

The sky outside was barely tinged with daybreak, signaling that there was still some time left to sleep. Sana adjusted herself slightly under Mina's arm, wanting to rearrange the blanket so that it covered her better. She didn't want to wake Mina though, whose breathing was slow and steady and adorably a little snory, so she reached for the blanket with agonizing slowness, moving only centimeters at a time.

It was a wasted effort since Mina woke up anyway, the younger girl's startled jump coinciding with Sana's wince of remorse. Sana had an apology ready on the tip of her tongue, but a sleepy Mina easily brushed aside the unspoken words by leaning over and dropping the softest kiss onto Sana's uncovered shoulder. Sana swore she could feel Mina's beautiful smile in that moment, that sinfully attractive little half smile thing that only Mina did so well, and it was all Sana could do not to roll over and confirm that smile's existence with a kiss.

"Let's sleep a little more," Mina murmured sleepily, pulling the blanket up to cover them better as though she had read Sana's mind. Sana murmured in agreement, warm and content in Mina's arms, both of them drifting easily back to sleep in an instant.

If Mina were to describe Sana as a scent, it would be Prada Candy Kiss. The vanilla orange fragrance was now burned deeply into Mina's memory, especially after the events of last night. Mina had first become acquainted with the alluring scent many months ago while standing in front of a notice board at the beginning of the semester, on the verge of reaching out to grab a flyer, when she noticed a woman beside her trying to smell her.

The delicate harmony of floral and citrus greeted Mina with the warmth of a gentle summer day as she turned to look at the refreshing woman she would soon come to know as "Sana", a woman who would change her world in more ways than one. But even though Sana's signature scent had become an integral part of Mina's life since their initial meeting, a delightful kind of fanfare for Sana's frequent intrusions in her life, Mina had never stopped to ask Sana what the name of this fragrance actually was until now.

"It's called Prada Candy Kiss" Sana giggled as Mina burrowed her way into the warm crook of Sana's neck to breathe in the last whispers of Sana's perfume, both of them drunk on each other's affections and the remnants of last night's peaceful sleep. Mina's cold nose prodded Sana's collar bone and elicited a surprised yelp from the older girl. "Yikes, why is your nose so cold?"

"Because it's winter," Mina mumbled, keeping her face pressed against Sana's shoulder, stealing the heat from Sana's summer skin to warm up her frozen nose.

It was a comfortable kind of morning, a playful kind of morning, a sleepy, cuddly, cozy kind of morning that had Mina's heart filled to the brim with joy. If Mina was honest with herself, she never thought that things could be this relaxed with Sana so quickly after they confessed to each other. Mina was especially worried that this morning might be filled with belated regrets over rushing into too quickly. But the affectionate way in which they held each other, gentle whispers and giggles bridging the negligible distance between them, only helped to reassure Mina they were both more than ready for what happened last night.

A slow smile worked its way across Mina's lips as Sana climbed on top of her, pushing her back into the pillows with a warm kiss that was like a burst of unending sunlight. A part of Mina never really believed that Sana liked her even though all the signs leading up to yesterday's first kiss had been painfully obvious. The other part of Mina was just terrified of opening her heart up to Sana, afraid of exposing all the ugly sides of herself for Sana to see. But Sana was miraculously still here, her head tucked securely under Mina's chin and her body curled up warmly against Mina's chest without any signs of wanting to escape.

(Or maybe Sana just hadn't seen enough yet to want to run.)

Mina tightened her arms around Sana, determined not to let Sana go as they giggled and cuddled and extended their pillow talk until it was well past breakfast, almost on the brink of lunch. Snow had fallen again as they slept through the night, nearly burying the home they slept in and blanketing the campus until it was hidden under a layer of frost. Classes were unsurprisingly canceled for the day, much to Sana's delight, but it was with utter shock and disapproval that Sana watched Mina bundle herself up after breakfast in order to head over to the school.

"Do you really have to go?" Sana whined. "But there aren't any classes today and the streets aren't even plowed yet. You're gonna get buried in the snow!"

Mina smiled at Sana's pouty expression, enjoying the way that Sana looked so effortlessly beautiful lounging in a borrowed pair of fuzzy pajama bottoms and Mina's favorite flannel shirt. Mina had always appreciated Sana's beauty, but there was something ethereal about the way Sana seemed to glow under the morning sunlight that made Mina's heart throb with regret for leaving.

"I have experiments that I need to check up on," Mina explained apologetically. She caressed her hand against a visibly disappointed Sana's cheeks. The older girl closed her eyes and nuzzled against Mina's fingertips, giving Mina the amusing impression of fondling a cat. "If I don't go in to the lab today, a whole semester of work will be wasted."

Sana continued to pout and looked up at Mina pitifully. "If I begged you to stay here and keep me warm, would you do it?"

"Yes I would," Mina laughed, "but you wouldn't use your power over me for evil, would you?" A smile finally cracked through Sana's forlorn expression and Mina felt triumphant. She tugged gently at the collar of her favorite flannel shirt, pulling it snuggly around Sana's neck. "Stay here, stay warm, and I promise I'll be back in a few hours."

"Fine," Sana relented with a sigh, "go ahead and pick science over me." She got up and wrapped her own scarf around Mina's neck. "But you better stay warm out there, too. I refuse to have my girlfriend turn into a popsicle after dating me for less than 24 hours." Sana placed a quick kiss on Mina's lips, gentle and fleeting, a teasing kiss that was laced with a promise of a much more satisfying encore when Mina returned later.

"Mmm..." Mina murmured, the addictive taste of sunshine from her lips, "I think I'll be back even sooner now." They shared a giggle. "By the way, my roommates Jihyo and Jeongyeon messaged me last night. They're actually own this place," Mina explained, gesturing at the house. "Anyway, they were supposed to be gone for the rest of the week but they're cutting their trip short because of the snow."

"Oh, are they on their way home right now? Should I leave, too...?" Sana wondered, not wanting to inconvenience Mina's friends, whom she had yet to meet.

Mina shook her head. "Nah, I'll be home long before they are. Just... Be a good girl and wait here for me," Mina teased. She leaned in for a final goodbye kiss, pressing herself into Sana's curves as Sana tugged on the pink scarf and pulled her even closer.

One goodbye kiss turned into two, and then two turned into three. It took another four minutes before Mina could tear herself away from Sana's warm kisses and get herself out the door. And then a pleasantly dazed Mina headed into the chilly winter morning, enjoying the scent of Candy Kiss woven into her scarf, happily imagining what it would be like to start every morning with a summer kiss.

A fuzzy kind of joy settled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter