A Collision of Summer and Autumn

A Hint of Jasmine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Sana were to describe Mina as a drink, it would be spiced apple cider, a drink that burned fiery and hot but was soothing all the same, an autumn filled taste that was all the warmth and comfort that Sana needed on a frozen night like tonight.

They were at Mina's home now, finally safe from the cold after bursting through the front door just moments ago. Sana was shivering uncontrollably, so exhausted from running through a snowstorm only partially covered by her jacket--the other half of the jacket had been covering Mina--that Sana could barely move. Mina guided Sana to the living room of the cozy two story home and then rushed off with a promise of warmth, returning quickly with the hot apple cider in her hands.

"Drink it," Mina urged, watching over Sana with affection and concern as Sana raised the mug to her lips with shaky hands. Uncertain that Sana actually had the strength to complete the task, Mina gently placed her hands over Sana's and helped her lift the apple cider to .

The first taste was explosive. It was like tasting autumn, all the complex nuances of a mysterious season rolling across her tongue, warmth and heat in both temperature and taste, a flavor that was sour and sweet all mixed up into one. Sana's eyes flicked upward to meet Mina's, acutely aware of the way that Mina's eyes crinkled with amusement at her surprise over the apple cider's taste.

"Your first time?" Mina wondered coyly, already sensing Sana had never tried spiced apple cider before. She smiled as Sana nodded up at her shyly. "Do you like it?"

Sana murmured with content, taking another drink and letting the warmth of autumn fill her entirely. "I love it."

The steaming mug of spiced apple cider was only the beginning of Mina's promise of warmth. Sana was delighted as Mina lit a fire for them in the fireplace, the roaring heat drawing them both closer to the hearth upon cushions laid out on the floor. Still shivering slightly, Sana held her hands toward the flames and let the heat the remnants of cold from her fingertips.

As she sat side by side with Mina, a blazing fire before them, it was almost like the "first snow" days from Sana's childhood had come back to life again, cherished days long passed spent with Momo by her side; except Mina wasn't Momo and Sana was no longer the timid girl she used to be. In the heat of the flames, Sana could see whispers of the missed opportunities that she had regretted at one point. But sitting here now with Mina, warming themselves up in the middle of a nighttime snowstorm with an ache in Sana's heart that was almost certainly love, perhaps everything that had transpired was meant to be. Sana smiled to herself and swatted idly at the fire as though brushing away memories that no longer felt like a burden on her heart.

"Don't tell me this is the first time you've used a fireplace, too," Mina teased as she watched Sana enjoy the flames with child-like innocence.

"What? Of course not," the older girl huffed. Sana pulled back her hand with a sudden air of maturity and turned her nose up at Mina full of playful indignance. "I'm just trying to keep warm."

Sana felt a thick blanket fall across her shoulders, cozy and warm, but not as warm as the feeling of Mina sidling up against her with her head on Sana's shoulder, the feeling of Mina intertwining their hands comfortably as though this lack of space between them was how they were always meant to be. It was effortless, really, how easily Sana melted into Mina's curves, filling all the empty spaces like two puzzle pieces locking perfectly into place.

"I can keep you warm too, you know," came Mina's hushed and flirty reply.

Sana laughed gently, her heart fluttering yet calm at the same time because talking to Mina was easy. Being with Mina was easy. The only difficulty Sana faced right now was trying to hold back the heartfelt confession that was threatening to burst out of her chest.

"But why am holding myself back?" Sana wondered to herself, somehow no longer afraid to take a leap of faith, suddenly eager to see if Momo was right and whether fortune really did favor the brave. Mina's thumb was gently rubbing circles on the back of Sana's hand, almost encouraging her to do something courageous and exciting and wholeheartedly scary.

"I... I think being with you is the highlight of my day," Sana's heard herself say with utmost sincerity. And she felt Mina's thumb freeze in its motions, stuttering for a moment before Mina let go of Sana's hand entirely.

"Oh really?" Mina giggled. "You must've had some really boring days if I'm the highlight."

Sana shook her head and turned to face Mina with a smile. "It's just the opposite. Every day since I met you has been more fun and exciting than the last. I have the best time when I'm with you, Mina. And when I'm not with you, I just think about the next time we'll be together again..."

A small, knowing smile edged its way onto Mina's lips and Sana let out a helpless whimper because Mina was being entirely unfair just smiling at her like that, waiting patientl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter