A Day Where Summer Turned to Autumn

A Hint of Jasmine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Mina were to describe Sana as a season, Sana would be summer. Sana was like the brightest sun of the longest day of the year, a constant source of warmth and energy whenever Mina was with her. Sana was the fire in Mina's heart, the essence of the purest and warmest love.

If Sana were to describe Mina as a season, Mina would be autumn, a mix of coolness and spice. She was a mystery to be sure, elegant and refined. Mina was a love that swept Sana up unexpectedly, sneaking in quietly, a gentle breeze that caressed her heart and enveloped her without warning.

 

 

The seasons collided on the first day of Sana's sophomore year of college, a day where summer turned to autumn. Sana slowly walked up the steep hill toward her first class of the year, already tired and winded before she had even entered a classroom. She wondered how in the world she was going to survive her 8 AM calculus class this semester when a subtle touch of sweetness wafted through the air. Sana caught the gentle note on the tip of her nose and stopped halfway up the incline.

The scent was faint, relaxing, and absolutely intoxicating; it wasn't something that Sana would easily forget. Students were scattered around The Hill in every direction, yet Sana followed her nose like a bloodhound on a trail. She wove in and out of the people nearby, fully enamored with the delicate, sweet, and floral aroma, letting herself gravitate toward its source until she found herself standing beside an outdoor notice board with a single woman nearby.

The raven haired woman stood facing the board and Sana eyed her curiously, not expecting the scent to be coming from a person. She had imagined that her nose would lead her to a patch of elegant flowers blooming in the dying days of summer. It was almost fitting that such a pretty scent was emanating from as equally a pretty person, but was the alluring smell really coming from this woman?

Trying to be discreet, Sana edged her way over toward the notice board under the guise of reading the abundance of flyers posted there. As she settled beside the beautiful stranger, Sana turned slightly and subtlety took a deep breath, pulling in a heavenly burst of the mysteriously sweet scent.

"Umm... Are you smelling me?" a soft voice asked from beside Sana.

The question sent Sana jumping nearly a mile into the air. She looked around nervously, hoping that the dark haired woman was talking to somebody else--anybody else--but life was not so kind and Sana was the only other person within earshot of the notice board.

"Y-yes I was..." Sana answered honestly, embarrassed but unable to think of a lie on the spot. A feverish blush spread across Sana's face, the pink heat of it burning Sana's cheeks. It didn't help that the other woman was pretty enough to make her blush under normal circumstances, let alone the current awkward one. "You just smelled really nice and I couldn't help myself."

Sana cringed at her explanation. What in the world was she saying?!

"Sorry, I-- Sorry. I'll just leave now," Sana mumbled, feeling like the new college year was off to a pretty embarrassing start.

"Aerin Ikat Jasmine," the woman said. The words were so unusual to Sana that she thought the woman was introducing herself with a foreign name.

"O-oh... I'm Sana," she replied with uncertainty, eliciting the most delightful laugh from the other woman. It was breezy and refreshing, like a burst of cool autumn air.

"No, that's the name of the perfume I'm wearing," the woman explained, showing off an adorable, gummy smile. "My name's Mina. Myoui Mina."

The name was as beautiful to Sana as the woman standing patiently in front of her. "N-nice to meet you, Mina. I'm--"

"Sana," they both said at the same time, and Sana's blush deepened, forgetting she had already introduced herself. It was astounding how times Mina had made her feel like an idiot in such a short encounter. And as much as Sana wanted to stand there and stare at the beautiful woman who was like a taste of autumn, she really just wanted to run away and hide in embarrassment.

"Anyway, sorry to have bothered you," Sana apologized, turning away from Mina quickly. "I just really liked your perfume."

"Wait," Mina said kindly. She reached out to take Sana's hand as the older girl turned away. "Let me write down the name of it for you, in case you want to try it some time." Mina's fingers were cool against Sana's sweaty palm, somehow making her even more nervous than she already was as Mina gently scribbled on her. When Sana looked at the neat writing on her hand, she found the words "Aerin Ikat Jasmine" along with something that looked suspiciously like a phone number.

"I-Is this your number? Why...?" Sana asked, unable to imagine why a woman as elegant as Mina would want to give her number to a stuttering fool. But Mina merely smiled because like Sana, who had sensed that Mina was as mysterious and intoxicating as autumn, Mina too had sensed that Sana was like summer, a warm person full of uncontrollable brightness, someone that Mina wanted to see again.

 

 

If Sana were to describe Mina as a scent, it would be jasmine. Specifically, it would be Aerin Ikat Jasmine, which Sana quickly learned was Mina's signature scent. Every morning on her way up The Hill, Sana detected Mina's perfume against the crisp autumn air, alluring and seductive.

If Mina was somebody else, anybody else, Sana would have had no problems walking up to that pers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter