008

GIFTED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 8.


Mark reached out with hasty hands to push up the blindfold and he sat back again, staring into Taeyong’s soft glowing eyes. Taeyong blinked before he looked up at Ten again. Mark spun around to look at his brother.

Ten did not make a sound, he almost did not breathe when his eyes met Taeyong’s.
 

Taeyong’s gaze was intense and Mark noticed Taeyong’s bound hands tremble.

  “Ten...” Taeyong spoke softly, one breath of Ten’s name carrying so much emotion. Mark’s jaw dropped open when he saw a tear fall from Taeyong’s right eye. Taeyong’s teeth were gritted again when he spoke. It was as if he felt pain when he looked at the other, so many different emotions crossed his face. “Ten.” He repeated before squeezing his eyes shut. A frown deepened on his forehead. “My head hurts…” He whimpered.

Then his head dropped, and Mark knew it meant that he had passed out. Everyone seemed in shock. Ten slowly walked over to Mark and took a seat right beside him. Somehow everyone started to leave the room, Jaehyun and Haechan lingered in the door.

  “Can we bring him into Ten’s room?” Mark asked without taking his eyes off Taeyong. Ten had sought Mark’s comfort and was leaning against his side.

Mark could hear Jaehyun exhale through his nose, he wasn’t too fond of that idea. “He attacked you guys. Just because he recognizes Ten… He could still be dangerous.”

  “I can handle him.” Ten insisted.

Mark glanced at Ten and wrapped an arm around him. “Ten can handle him.” He heard Jaehyun inhale sharply. Ten rested his head on Mark's shoulder.

  “We can tie his hands to the bed…” Haechan began but maybe he thought he sounded too harsh. Mark though, nodded.

  “Good idea.” He agreed. Ten sighed.

Mark started moving and Ten leaned away. The sky was still dark. In the mirror, Mark saw his own figure and his glowing blue eyes. Jaehyun’s purple glowing eyes were downcast. For a moment Mark tried to put himself in the other’s place. All their plans for the next time coming were being delayed, and Mark was sure the South did not slow down. Before they could let anyone leave they needed to be sure if they had Johnny and Taeyong ready.

  “Haechan will you help Ten?” Mark asked after some thought and Haechan’s brown eyes gazed at him. Mark smiled, trying to reassure the other. “I need to speak with Jaehyun.” He explained and it made the other nod. Haechan walked towards Mark, eyes upon the floor. Mark reached out a hand to stop Haechan from passing him. “Thank you.” Mark found himself whispering. The boy’s eyes found his and he too gave Mark the smallest smile, but it was enough.

  “Always,” Haechan promised and then assisted Ten.

Mark tried to ignore the fluttering feeling inside his stomach. He set his course for Jaehyun and the True Commander straightened his back, facing Mark. “The spy?” He asked, and Mark nodded. They needed to figure out what to do with Lucas. If he survived.

 

 

 

Jaehyun walked with long but calm strides and Mark needed to keep up. He sometimes forgot that he was significantly shorter than Jaehyun. The True Commander was wearing clothes that he had slept in and then a long cardigan made of dark wool. Mark knew the 6th clan had a lot of sheep in their area and were the clan to provide wool. The 2nd clan had cattle, and they tried their best to keep them. They had experienced drops in the cattle population as the cattle got ill or Roxes took them. They provided them with leather, meat, and milk, so they were very important to the clans. These were such things Jaehyun would have to worry about when he truly played the role of the Commander.

Jaehyun let Mark into his room. He took a moment to walk over and check up on Johnny before he moved over to the couches. Mark noticed the way Jaehyun’s hand gently rested on Johnny’s chest as if he had to feel that he was okay. It made him think about Johnny’s death… when he confessed and when Jaehyun admitted he too had feelings for Johnny. Mark had thought Jaehyun had feelings for Taeyong and… Mark avoided Jaehyun’s glowing eyes and took a seat as well. Jaehyun lit up the candles gathered on the table between them.


  “I admire you for saving the spy’s life, Mark.” Jaehyun began in his rich velvety voice and Mark felt at ease. He pulled at his legs to gather them beneath him on the couch. “Even though the spy had tried to kill Ten, you saved his life knowing he was incredibly important to us.” Jaehyun smiled just the slightest. “Thank you.” Then Mark noticed something in Jaehyun’s eyes change. “But I don’t want you to risk your life by doing that dangerous a stunt. Your blood is sacred and is not to be messed with.”

Mark nodded. He had trusted Jaemin though and he hoped it would work. Lucas could take them into the South undetected. The information he had could help them avoid the same fate as Lord Win and Kun. Mark did not want to be locked in a cage and then be executed.

Mark had to take a deep breath, feeling rage blossom like a flame eating up parchment inside of him. The thought still ate at his conscience. They did not deserve to die like that. Yet Mark had led them into that trap. At what cost? What would the South do to them? Was this information truly helpful or would they make a mistake by going into the South?

  “Mark.” Jaehyun’s voice pulled him out of his thoughts. Mark blamed the exhaustion and blood loss on his lacking ability to stay concentrated. “I suggest we interrogate Lucas for any information needed about the South before we let you or anyone leave the 1st Clan. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter