013

GIFTED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: So much has happened in 2019. I went through quite a tough time and then pulled myself together and did something about it. Which meant I made myself very busy. Then I fell in love and well... I couldn't fight through my writer's block but now I am getting through it. I wrote this chapter two times because I lost 3 pages and that made me so frustrated. To anyone reading and still waiting for updates, leave a little comment. It inspires me so much when you do! <3 I will make a small recap in the next chapter if you'd like! Since it's been so long.

 

 

Chapter 13.


  “Keep him upright, we can’t have him injure himself.” Johnny ordered and threw large logs into a gathered pile. Mark and Haechan stood under Lucas’ weight, the other was barely conscious.

  “We’ve carried him most of the way.” The red-headed boy muttered and flicked his bangs out of his eyes. “But he’s worth it.” It sounded more like a question than a statement.  

Mark nodded. He was. They could not enter the South without him. “Let’s settle him there, by that tree.” Mark led them to the tree and Haechan groaned when they had to squat down. Mark could feel the exhaustion too, but he guessed Haechan felt worse. Lucas was unconscious by now. He had tried to walk alone and drained all his energy. Their horses had lasted them a day, but they wouldn’t be subtle on horse-back. Small villages had begun to appear and so they wanted to stay unnoticed.

Suddenly two figures broke through the bushes, Mark hadn’t heard them over Haechan’s strained groans. Lucas had also released small sick moans. Mark felt a terrible feeling in the pit of his stomach at the thought of the other dying. Yet when Taeyong’s glowing white eyes came into view, Mark knew that Lucas had been wrong to play a game with one of their strongest warriors. He was paying the price of his actions, even though he had done it because he was desperate.

Ten was trailing right after the Damned, his eyes darker than the shadows creeping up on them. He seemed like he was in a good mood. He headed straight for Mark, coming up to him to take his side.

Haechan was leaning against a tree, looking like he could pass out. Still he did not sit down. Johnny and Haechan did not show their exhaustion well. They always fought through it.

As soon as Taeyong spoke, standing close to Jaehyun and Johnny, Haechan took one deep breath and stood up straight. Mark wanted to tell him to sit down, but all he could do was reach out a hand to tug the other to his left side. Haechan seemed grateful for the support, but he still insisted on standing.

  “The roads are getting bigger and a river is leading us straight into what we would call a village.” Taeyong informed them. “We’ve seen fields and life-stock. We could pass through the village and get provisions, but we need to look out. We did not see any Damned working with the life-stock, so it could be a village of Sanes.”

  “Sane?” Mark had not heard this word being used about the healthy.

Taeyong shrugged. “Jiwon called them that.”

Everyone tensed up at the mention of her name. She had been the one to try and take the power from Lord Win. She had turned Taeyong against them, had Coups attack them and almost kill Chenle. She was the cause of Hansol’s death. Taeyong killed her before she could kill Mark.

  “Maybe we shouldn’t use the same word as a lunatic.” Johnny suggested.

Taeyong sighed. “Many use it.” He explained. “Now, I think we should rest here for the night and then go during the day. It will be safer like that.”

Jaehyun nodded. He smiled at Taeyong. “That sounds like a good idea. Then let’s rest.”

 

 

 

Haechan was using Mark’s shoulder as his pillow, and for some reason Mark felt safer like that. It made him fall into such a deep sleep, he was surprised when he was called awake. “Mark. Time to get going.” Ten said and smiled at him. Mark glanced around himself and noticed Haechan currently sitting beside Jaehyun. Mark had not even noticed him leave.

Lucas was softly coughing. His face covered by a sheen of sweat. Mark wondered how they were going to get him through a town full of… Sanes.

Lucas squinted at him. “Where are we?” He asked and immediately he gained the attention of everyone in the small clearing.

Mark neared him. “We’re near a village. Could you tell us about villages here, Lucas?” He asked gently.

The other frowned. “It’s probably a town.”

  “A town?”

  “Have we passed the lake?”

  “Yeah, a long time ago.” Haechan informed the other.

Lucas grimaced. “I don’t know where we are.”

  “How does a town work? Does it have a Chief?”

Talking was tiring Lucas out. Mark knew this would be the last answer. “A Lord.” He breathed. Mark glanced up at the others but found himself retreating. He knew one Lord and that was Lord Win. Just thinking the name brought a pain to his chest. He saw green eyes and red, detached from their rightful places. Stolen from two people he grew to care for. He may have fought them and hated them to some extent, but they still did not deserve the ending they got. He would never forgive Emperor Hendery for what he had done to them.

Haechan’s hand was warm against his own. This morning was cold but dry. The sun would be out today. “Let’s go.” The other’s voice was a comfort. Still he thought of this sea they had spoken of, the wild water and how it would crash against rocks and sand. Something he only had heard stories of.
Lucas had a walking-stick to lean on, but it would only give him a few hours of time on his feet. Then he would tire out and they would have to support him again. Ten and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter