005

GIFTED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5.

It was bright out now. Jaehyun seemed in a hurry to get somewhere first. Haechan and Mark followed, none of them talking. Mark had grabbed the letter from Jaehyun and while they walked he handed it to Haechan. The other eyed him but took the letter from Mark to read it while he walked. He was angry with Mark. Disappointed probably. Yet, he didn’t feel like he needed to lash out or be bitter about it. Mark sometimes forgot that Haechan truly was a soldier.

Jaehyun walked into a room after unlocking it. Haechan took a step inside but waited by the door. Mark felt like he needed to do the same, but he couldn’t help but take in the view. The dust had gathered in layers on every surface and there were paintings from the Old Days and maps of the land. Mark walked over to the map. Their clans had been drawn so that they matched this old map from… Mark peeked at the number at the bottom. 2011.

  “It’s my father’s room,” Jaehyun said nonchalantly, but it made Mark pull back his hand from the map. Jaehyun’s father had lived in this room? Mark never thought he would get to hear about his parents. Other than his mother who had been the previous commander. Commander Lilla. She was pretty fierce, especially in her young days. She was the one who kept the Damned safe, sending them off to a place where they couldn’t harm others, but also not letting panic arise and force two groups to fight over the same land. No matter how bitter Mark was for them to be sent away, he respected her choices. 1st Generation Damned such as Lord Win… Those who felt little to no pain, who were more aggressive and as Jaemin had said… had less empathy. Mark let his fingers trace the outlines of petals on the painting of a flower. Then he found himself staring at the map again.

Following the high points of land down the map, you reached lands that were unknown. Jaehyun’s father had only noted “The South” at this point, but he was definitely aware of the lands. What more did Jaehyun’s father know?

 

 

  “Emperor Hendery?” Haechan spoke after reading the letter. “I can’t imagine how their system works.” He folded the letter neatly and then looked at Mark. “This is great information, Mark.” He said gently, and Mark smiled. He appreciated Haechan so much.

Jaehyun stepped in between the two. “How long are you going to stare at each other?”

Haechan huffed, while Mark chuckled. He liked the light-hearted teasing. It was better than the look of disappointment.

  “My father made the council that we had before Asher infiltrated it. Some were thrown out, we need to get those back in and also earn their respect. If they can embrace me so can others.”

Mark thought hard. “We should use the Damned children as well. Somebody out there must be missing them. If they can’t accept us, then would they want us to burn as the kids would’ve?”

Haechan pointed at Mark as if he was on the right path. “We need to connect with them. Focus on family ties… the bonds they have with the Damned. Let them recognize the humanity that is within you guys.”

Jaehyun nodded. “My mother pushed the Damned away because she didn’t know enough about them. We know a lot more than we ever did before, but we can’t say that Jaemin and his people are behind it. It would just create fear.”

Mark nodded. “Use your charm.” He said with a grin and patted Jaehyun’s arm. It made the True Commander laugh.

  “I would say you’ve got more of that than I.” He said with a caring smile and Mark’s shoulders grew light. That smile had taken all the weight off them. Yuta was right. They shared the burdens together.

Haechan’s brows flew up. “Mark? Charm? Those two things don’t go together.”

Mark gawped. Jaehyun laughed and turned to Haechan. “Then what did you fall for?” He asked and made his exit.

Haechan blinked as the other passed by him, and he avoided Mark’s gaze before turning on his heels and following the Commander. Mark’s cheeks hurt from grinning so wide.

 

 

 

 

  “Jeno, Ten and Haechan, you’re in the front,” Jaehyun told the others as they gathered. It’s daylight, but a crossing shadow will reveal the Damned and we can’t have any panic. For now, they don’t know about me either…” Jaehyun went quiet as they all stood together in the ballroom that was located just across the hallway of Jaehyun’s bedroom. It was often used for training, Mark could see that on the scratches in the once polished wooden floor and the carvings in the walls. It had lost the elegant look it once had.

  “We will have to give them info about the Damned, how the body works… what has happened.” Haechan said. “But we can’t be too large of a group.” He then added.

  “Only some of us will accompany Jaehyun,” Mark said. “I want guards on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter