Rivals

Summer's Serenade

Wayne pulled Sunnee into a hug. As her head landed on his chest, she felt her heart began to beat fast. Then, she heard metal bowls falling on the ground. 

 

"That was close..." she heard Wayne say. She looked up at him, and he met his worried eyes. "Papa, why is he looking at me with worried eyes? And why is my heart beating fast when I'm with him?" she thought. "Are you all right?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. Then, she pulled away from him. 

 

"I... I'm sorry..." she said shyly. She turned her back on him to hide the redness in her cheek. "It's all right, don't worry." Wayne said as he put his hand on her shoulder. She looked at him, and saw him smiling at her. "It's my fault. I should have arranged the bowls properly. I should be the one who should apologize." he tolld her. Sunnee let out a smile. "Next time, let me handle arranging the stuff here, all right?" Sunnee told him. 

 

Wayne nodded his head. "As long as you help me with the baking. Which reminds me, we should start now or the customers won't have any pastries to buy." he said. Sunnee nodded her head. and they proceeded with the baking.

 

--

 

A long haired girl entered the bake shop. As she entered, she looked around the place, as if looking for something, or someone. 

 

"Welcome to Petite Pomme. How may I help you?" Yue Ting greeted the new customer. The girl looked at her, and gave her a sweet smile. "I'm looking for Wayne Huang." the girl said. Yue Ting nodded her head. She went to the back of the counter, and stuck her head on the window to the kitchen. "Wayne, someone's looking for you." Yue Ting said. 

 

Sunnee and Wayne paused. She looked up at Wayne and saw the wondering look on his face. "Who is it?" he asked. Yue Ting just shrugged her shoulder. Wayne took a towel, and wiped his hands on it. "Continue making the cookies. Wait for me, I'll be right back." he told her. Sunnee just nodded his head. 

 

Wayne got out of the kitchen, and saw the girl smiling at her. He was surprised to see her, that his lips formed into a smile. "Esther?" he called. Esther smiled at him. "Wayne!" she called. She ran up to him, and gave him a hug. 

 

"How have you been? I didn't know you will be back." Wayne told her. "I came back yesterday, and the first thing I did is to find you." Esther said. Wayne smiled at her. "I'm glad you're back." he said. The two of them looked at each other silence. The moment Sunnee went out of the kitchen. this was the scene that she saw. Suddenly, she felt a pang of pain in her chest seeing them together. "Why do I feel hurt? Am I getting jealous?" she thought. 

 

"Wayne, you still owe me a cup of coffee from my favorite coffee shop." Esther reminded him. Wayne nodded his head. "I didn't forget about that."

"Then, are you free right now for my treat?"

"Yes. I'm about to take my break anyway. Wait for me here. I'll just tell my assistant we'll be going out."

 

Wayne turned around to head back to the kitchen, and saw Sunnee as she looked away from him. "Hey, Sunnee. I'm going out with my friend. Can you handle everything for now?" Wayne asked. Sunnee looked at him, and nodded his head. 

 

"Don't worry, I'll do the cookies. Go and take your break first." Sunnee encouraged him. Wayne smiled as he nodded his head. Sunnee watched as he turned to Esther. She watched as he smiled at her, and held her hand as they head out of the bake shop. 

 

"Kewalin, don't be jealous. Why are you jealous?" she thought. Then, she let out a loud sigh, loud enough for Mei Qi to notice. "Sunnee, are you all right?" Mei Qi asked worriedly. Sunnee looked at her, and forced a smile. "I'm OK. Don't worry about me." she said. Then, she returned back inside the kitchen. 

 

"I think she's jealous." Yue Ting told Mei Qi. Mei Qi gave Yue Ting a confused look. "Maybe he also likes Wayne?"' Yue Ting said. "I don't think Sunnee's like you, how's so in love with our boss. Maybe she's not feeling well because she got here earlier than us." Mei Qi said. Then, she looked at the kitchen door, still worrying about Sunnee. 

 

--

 

"So, I heard the news..."

 

She said the moment both of them were all alone. "Is she the one?" she asked. Wei Jin just smiled at her. She let out a smile. "The great Wei Jin... the one I thought will not get married. How come you changed your mind?" she asked again. 

 

Wei Jin let out a smile. "Is it possible to even fall in love with someone without meeting her?" he asked. She gave him a confused look. She looked at him, and she saw a smile she had never seen before. Now. she knows, he is very in love with her. 

 

"I have not met her, and yet, when she ran away from me, I felt sad. The moment I saw her picture, I had this feeling of wanting to take care of her and making her the happiest girl in the world. It's like she is the girl on the other end of my red string." he said. 

 

"I didn't know Wei Jin ge can be this cheesy." she told him. He let out a laugh. "Sometimes I just want to approach her, but I'm scared. I'm scared that I might scare her..." he said. "Then, let's do your plan..." she said. He looked at her, and let out a smile. "I'll help you with her." she said. 

 

--

 

The door opened again, this time, revealing a tall guy. "Welcome to Petite Pomme!" Mei Qi greeted this time. The guy let out a smile at her. "Hi, I'd like to have chocolate chip cookies." he said. Mei Qi nodded her head. 

 

As she looked down on the display shelf, she realized there were no cookies available. She stood up, and looked at the. "I'll check if we have more cookies at the back." Mei Qi said. 

 

Before she could leave, Sunnee came out of the kitchen with a tray filled with freshly baked cookies. "Here you go, Mei Qi..." she said, handing the tray to her. As she looked up, the guy looked at her with bewilderment. 

 

"Nee Nee?" he called her. Sunnee suddenly realized who it was. "Zheng ge ge?" she called. The guy nodded her head. "Nee Nee!" he shouted happily. 

 

Sunnee rushed out of the counter, and gave the taller guy a hug. "Zheng ge ge! I can't believe we'll see each other again!" she said, hugging him tight. "You know I'm the happiest to see you, Nee Nee." he said. He hugged her tighter, since it's been a long time since they both saw each other. 

 

Then they heard someone clearing his throat. They looked by the door, and saw Wayne glaring at them, making the two of them look at him. The guy gave him a confused look. "Uhmmm... Wayne...." she said as she let go of the guy. 

 

"I see your friend is here..." Wayne told her as he walked towards them. Sunnee looked at him, and then back at him. Then, she looked at Mei Qi and Yue Ting, who are confused. "Ah, I forgot to introduce him. This is Wes... Zheng ge ge. He's an old classmate. Zheng ge ge, this is Wayne, that is Mei Qi and Yue Ting we all work here together." she said. 

 

Wes smiled at Wayne, and extended his hand to him. "Nice to meet you, Wayne." he said. Wayne simply glared at him as he shook his hand. "Same." he said coldly. 

 

Then, Wes turned to Sunnee. "Let's have dinner together, all right? I want to catch up with you" he said. Sunnee nodded her head. Wes patted her head as he smiled. "Then I'll pick you up when the shop closes." he said. "All right. I'll wait for you Zheng ge ge." she said. 

 

Before saying goodbye, Wes gave her another hug. "It's so nice to see you again, little sunny girl!" he said. Then, he gave her a kiss on the forehead before leaving. 

 

Mei Qi and Yue Ting gave each other a confused look. They saw the angry look on Wayne when Wes was being too touchy with Sunnee. "Let's get back to work." Wayne told them firmly. Sunnee was surprised at the sudden change of his mood. "What's wrong with him?" she thought. She let out a sigh, and followed him inside the kitchen.