The Start Of Summer

Summer's Serenade

The moment she stepped foot in Thailand, the first thing Kewalin did is head to the cemetery. She carried her father's favorite flowers as she walked towards his grave. As soon as she got near the grave, she carefully placed the bouquet of flowers on it. 

 

"Papa..." she whispered. Then, a tear fell from her eyes. She has been away, studying abroad, when news of her father's death reached her. The moment she found about his death, she booked the first flight going to Thailand from London. But she was too late. Her family had already held funeral for him. They didn't wait for her to come back, after all, it was her father's wish to be buried right away after his death. 

 

"Kewalin..."

 

She looked back, and saw her mother walking up to him. "We need to go back to talk about some matters." her mother said. Kewalin gave her father a confused look. "What matters?" she asked. Her mother remained silent. "Let's just go home to talk." she said before turning her back to leave. 

 

--

 

She sat in front of her mother as she waited for her to speak. "What is it that you want to talk about, Mama?" she asked. Her mother let out a sigh as she looked at him. "I want you to get married right away." her mother said. Her eyes widened upon hearing that. "But... but papa just died!" she exclaimed. 

 

Kewalin can't understand why her mother wanted her to marry right away. "It is necessary at this moment. The board isn't confident you can take your father's place. Marrying a suitable man will make them feel at ease." her mother said. 

 

She clenched her fist as she stood up. "I can handle the business." she said determinedly. "I trust you, Kewalin. It's the board that doesn't. And besides, you're at the right age to get married. I'm pretty sure your father would wish the same..."

"Papa will not tell me to get married right away! And to a stranger, of all people!"

 

Her mother took a deep breath as she faced her. "Do you want to know the truth, Kewalin? We are in deep debt. We are on the brink of losing the company. The only option for us right now is for you to marry the son of this new investor." her mother said. "Do I really need to get married? Is there no other choice?" Kewalin asked her mother. "You have no other choice." her mother said firmly. 

 

"The, I'll find another option." Kewalin said determinedly. She looked at her mother in her eyes, determined not to get married to a stranger. "There is a way. There should be a way. And I will find another way to save Papa's company." she told her mother. 

 

Her mother just smirked at her. "We've done everything we could. There's nothing you could think that we have not done yet. Marrying this man is our only option to save your father's company. Do you want to lose everything your father had worked hard for?" she asked her. 

 

Kewalin lowered her head. She knew how her father worked hard to build that company. It was his dream, his legacy. And for his legacy to live on, she knew she had to make a sacrifice. "Don't you love your father? He gave you everything you have now. This is just a little sacrifice, Kewalin. Marry this man, OK?" her mother pleaded her. She looked at her mother for a long time, and nodded her head. 

 

--

 

Kewalin retreated back to her room. The first thing that greeted her is the big teddy bear her father gave her on her seventh birthday. She walked towards her bed, where the big teddy bear is sitting on. She took it, and hugged it tight. 

 

The moment she touched her father's gift, she suddenly missed her father. As she closed her eyes, tears flooded her eyes. "Papa..." she whispered. Her father's death was a sudden one. She never thought she will never have a chance to talk or even hug her father once more. He is more than just a father to her. He is her best friend, her confidante, her first love. And losing him broke her heart the most.

 

She could still remember the last time the two of them had a heart to heart talk. 

 

[Flashback]

 

Kewalin released the arrow from it's bow, and soon, the arrow hit the target. "Bull's eye!" she heard her father say. She looked at him and saw the proud look on his face. "I've thought you well." her father said. "I take after my father." she said proudly. Her father smiled at her. "But my daughter is better than me. Ah, you are better than most guys your age. I'm scared they will get intimidated with your skills, and avoid you. How will you get married in the future?" he asked. 

 

Kewalin just let out a laugh. "If I can't find a good man to marry, then you have to arrange a marriage for me with your friend's son." she said. Her father let out a laugh. "That is something I will never do, Kewalin, remember that." he said. Kewalin gave her father a confused look. "But, why? Most of parents with the same status as yours would marry of their daughters to someone they know. Like an old friend, or a business partner." she said. 

 

Her father smiled at here. "Kewalin, in my years, there is something I have learned in life. Never ever sacrifice your heart. Don't get married for other reasons, other than love." he told  her. "Ah, then it might take a long time before I get married. Or maybe, I won't get married at all!" she said. 

 

Her father just smiled at her. "Are giving up easily on love? You're still young. You'll find a man that will love you and cherish you. Actually, I can imagine it. One day, a fine young man will come to find me. He will ask me for your hand in marriage. But before I can give him your hand in marriage, I will have to ask him two things." he said. 

 

Kewalin gave her a confused look. "What is it, papa?" she asked. "First, I will ask him if he truly loves him. Second, I will ask if you truly love him." he said. "Then, you'll give my hand to him?" she asked. Her father smiled, and nodded his head. "As long as he will give you a lifetime of happiness, then I will be at ease." he told her. 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

She laid on her bed as she hugged her teddy bear. She buried her head in it as she cried. "Papa... why did you leave me?" she asked. She continued to cry as she fell asleep.

 

--

 

"Investing in the Sunstar Corporation... dear, do you think it is a good idea?" The elder man asked his wife. His wife looked at her, and smiled. "It is. We've been wanting to expand our business overseas, right? This is the right opportunity. This big company that's about to be bankrupt is our chance to get into the Thai market." his wife said. 

 

The elder man let out a sigh. "You know, it won't be easy, right? Plus, there are restrictions as to owning a business there." he said. His wife smiled and sat beside him. "Of course. I've thought of that." she said as she sipped her wine. "And?" he asked eagerly. "At this point, we'll be needing Wei Jin to help us out." she said. 

 

The elder man gave his wife a confused look. "I want Wei Jin to marry the heir of Sunstar Corporation..." she said.