The Engagement

Summer's Serenade

"Young Master..." 

 

The governess bowed the moment he got inside the mansion. "Madame and Master have been waiting for you." she said. He smiled at her. "Thank you. I'll go look for them." he said. He went straight to the dining room, and found her father and mother having dinner. 

 

From where he is standing, he could see how in love his parents are - the way they looked at each other, and the way they smiled and laughed at each other. It was not long after when his parents felt his presence. "Ah, Wei Jin. You're finally here. Join us!" his father said. Wei Jin smiled, and walked towards the table. He sat in his usual seat, which is at the right side of his father, just in front of her own mother. 

 

"What honor do I have to be called in by Master and Madame Huang?" he asked. He heard his mother laugh. "You're so formal, you know. Wei Jin, we are your parents. And we want to catch up with you from time to time." his mother said. But something tells him that this isn't just a dinner to get together. He can feel they will announce something to him. 

 

Soon after, his parents started to talk about business. He heard his mother tell her father about a possible investment or buy out of a company in Thailand. He's not that interested in their business at all, after all, he had a different interest of his own. But he knew, sooner or later, he would have to tale over the Huang Empire. 

 

"What do you think, Wei Jin?" he heard his mother said. He looked at her with confusion written on his face. "Sorry, mom. I wasn't listening. What do I think about what?" he asked. His mother smiled at him. "About marrying the daughter of your father's business partner in Thailand." her mother said nonchalantly. 

 

He dropped his utensils as his eyes widened. "Are you serious?" He asked. His parents just smiled at him. "Why involve me in this?" he asked. "Because you are our son. And you should start getting involve with the company." his father said. "So, I have to marry this girl?" he asked. The two nodded her head. "But marrying someone... dad, this insane!" he said. "You just have to agree to this marriage, Wei Jin." her mother said. 

 

Wei Jin let out a sigh. "Yes, and no." he said. He could see the confusion in his parents's. face. "Yes, if I like the girl. No, if I don't." he said stubbornly. "Well, I'm pretty sure you will like the girl. I have her files in my office. You can take a look at it, if you want." his father said. 

 

"And, I'm pretty sure you two are compatible. I have consulted this to the fortune tellers, and they say that you two are lucky for each other." his  mother said. Wei Jin just let out a sigh. He knew that even if he object, he can't bare to break his mother's heart, after seeing her all excited about this marriage. "Fine. When can I meet this girl?" he asked. "Then, let's go to Thailand tomorrow so you can finally meet this girl." his father said. 

 

--

 

"I can't believe you're getting married." Ian said as he gave Wei Jin a can of beer. "I can't believe either. And to a girl I barely even know." he said with a chuckle. Ian sat beside him, and smiled at him. "So, it means you're officially off the market. Ah, I feel bad for the Huang Wei Jin fan girls." Ian said. 

 

Wei Jin let out a laugh. He drank his beer as he looked away. "But you know what, Ian..." he said. Ian looked at him. He saw his best friend let out a smile. "I think that girl is kinda interesting..." he said. 

 

Ian's eyes widened at what he heard. Wei Jin never hear those two words in one sentence - girl and interesting. "Oh, is this a case where you have fallen in love with someone even before meeting her?" Ian said. Wei Jin smiled. He took out his phone, and looked at the picture of a girl on it. "I think she is a very interesting girl. Don't you think, Ian?" he said, showing him the picture. Ian nodded in agreement. 

 

"She is cute. I think you are smitten, Wei Jin." he said. Wei Jin just let out a faint smile. "Let's see how this goes. I'm going to Thailand tomorrow to meet her. Ian, can you handle everything for me?" he asked. Ian nodded his head. "I will. Don't worry. I'll make sure to oversee the construction of the bakeshop for you." Ian told him. 

 

--

 

Kewalin got out of her room. As she walked down the stairs, she could see everyone in the house scrambling to prepare everything. "What's happening?" she asked around. "Kewalin... didn't you know?" her aunt asked. Kewalin gave her confused look. Her aunt smiled at her. "You fiance is coming tonight to meet you!" she said excitedly. 

 

Kewalin's face fell upon hearing that. "He... is coming?" she asked. Her aunt nodded her head. Kewalin let out a sigh. "Then, it means..."

"You and that man will marry as soon as possible." she heard her mother say. 

 

She looked up, and saw her mother walking up to her. "So soon? Can't we have a long engagement first?" she asked. Her mother shook her head. "The sooner you get married to him, the better." she said. Kewalin just let out a sigh. "Then, I should get ready to meet this man tonight, right, mama?" she asked. Her mother smiled, and nodded her head. "Wear that lovely dress I bought for you the other day." her mother instructed her. Kewalin just nodded her head. 

 

--

 

Kewalin sat on her bed, wearing the lavender off-shoulder dress her mother gave her. She looked at herself in the mirror, and let out a sigh. "Are you sure you want to do this, Nee?" she asked herself. She hoped to get out of this arranged marriage, but she had no other choice.

 

Then, she heard a knock on the door. "Come in..." she said. The door opened, revealing her mother. She went inside her room. "Are you ready, Kewalin? They will be here in a while." she asked. Kewalin let out a faint smile, and nodded her head. "And before I forget, I want to give you something." she said. 

 

She took out a long, velvety black box, and opened it. Inside was a necklace with a pink diamond pendant. "This is a gift to me from your father on the day we got engaged. Now that you are getting married, I want you to have this." she said. Kewalin gave her mother a faint smile as she nodded her head. "Thank you, mama." she said. 

 

After he mother left the room, she took the necklace from the box, and put it around her neck. She stared at herself for a long time, then at the pendant. "This is papa's memento for me..." she thought. Then, she remembered one of her favorite conversation with her father before she studied abroad. 

 

[Flashback]

 

Kewalin was busy packing her suitcase, and didn't notice her father came inside her room. "I can't believe this day will finally come..." he said. She could hear the tinge of sadness in his voice. She looked back at him, and smiled. "But, papa, it will just for four years. Plus, I promise to be back during holidays." she said. 

 

Her father sighed, and sat on her bed. "Well, I know that. But you know which day I will dread the most, Kewalin?" he asked. Kewalin shook her head. "No, papa."

"It will be the day I will have to give your hand to the man you love." 

 

Her father smiled at her. Kewalin, on the other hand, let out a laugh. "Papa, love is far out of my mind! All I want to do now is study hard so I can be your rightful heir and successor." she said. Her father sighed, and held her hand. "One day, a man will hold your hand like I do. He will hold it tightly, wishing to never let out go. If you meet such man, I hope he will give you the happiness you deserve." he said. 

 

Kewalin smiled at him. "Papa, I don't think I can find someone to love. Maybe if I find a younger version of you, then I will. Mama is so lucky to marry a wonderful and kind man like you." she said. Her father let out a laugh. "Nee, you may not be able to find another me. But I pray to God that He'll send you a man worthy of your love. And you have to promise me. You'll only marry out of love. Do you understand?" he said. Kewalin smiled, and nodded her head. Then, he gave her father a hug.

 

[End Of Flashback]

 

Kewalin looked at herself in the mirror as she held on the pendant. "Papa will never ask me to do this. If papa is alive, he will not agree to this. He will not allow me to marry a man I don't even love." she thought. That moment, she made a decision. And that is to run away from this arranged marriage. 

 

She rushed to the bathroom, and changed her clothes. Then, she looked at herself again in the mirror. She saw a pair of scissors from the counter, and took it. She held her long locks, and slowly, she cut her hair short. After she cut her hair, she went back inside her room, and gathered all the clothes and things she could bring. She took some money and her ATM, deciding to withdraw everything in it.  

 

Then, with a red lipstick on hand, she wrote her goodbyes on the mirror. "Papa said 'Never ever sacrifice your heart'"

 

She stared at the words she have written on the mirror with the red lipstick. She stared at it for long, until she realized what she's going to do is right.

 

"Mama, I'm sorry... I love you but I can't marry someone I don't love..." She whispered. With her bag in tow, she left the mansion in the middle of the night.

 

--

 

The Huangs arrived at the Boonsatta household that evening. Madame Boonsatta (Kewalin's mother) greeted them by the door. 

 

"I'm so glad you could come for dinner tonight. How was your flight?" Madame Boonsatta asked. Madame Huang smiled at her. "Oh, it was tiring. But it's worth it. By the way, this is my son, Huang Wei Jin. Wei Jin, this is Madame Boonsatta." Madame Huang said. 

 

Wei Jin smiled politely, and shook the older lady's hand. "It's nice to meet you, Madame Boonsatta. Please don't tell me, you're the one I'm going to marry?" he asked. All of them laughed at that question. "No, silly boy. It's my daughter, Kewalin. Don't worry, you will meet her later." Madame Boonsatta said. 

 

Just then, Kewalin's aunt rushed to her. There was a worried look on her face as she approached Kewalin's mother. "P'Boonsri, we have a problem..." she said. Madame Boonsatta gave her sister a confused look. "What is it, P'Paithoon?" Madame Boonsatta asked. "Kewalin is not in her room." Kewalin's aunt said. 

 

The Huangs looked at each other with confusion. Madame Boonsatta looked at them, and gave them a polite smile. "Excuse me while I look for my daughter." Madame Boonsatta said. 

 

Madame Boonsatta rushed to Kewalin's room, only to find it empty. She checked her cabinet, and saw some of her clothes were missing. She rushed to her bathroom only to find cut hair all over the floor. "P'Boonsri, look!" she heard her sister say. 

 

She went back to Kewalin's room, and saw the writing on her mirror. "Papa said 'Never ever sacrifice your heart.'" she read aloud. She could only sigh, with the realization that her daughter ran away. 

 

--

 

"Riley, I need your help. I want you to find a girl named Kewalin Boonsatta. Report to me as soon as you get any information." 

 

He ended the call, and let out sigh. He looked outside the balcony of his hotel room, trying to enjoy the night view of the city. "Where are you?" he thought. A few minutes later, he received a call from Riley. 

 

"Riley?"

"Wei Jin, the girl you're looking for..."

"Well, then tell me."

"She's on her way to Taipei."

 

Wei Jin fell silent. "I understand. Thank you for the help." he said. After he ended the call, he dialed the number of his assistant.  "Book me the first flight out to Taipei tomorrow." he told his assistant. He ended the call, and stared at his phone for a while. 

 

He doesn't want to act like a jilted lover. He felt different. He should be happy that the engagement ended like that, but his gut feel is telling him to find the girl. That night, he was able to convince his parents to continue investing in Sunstar Corporation, with a promise he'll find Kewalin. He doesn't know how it will go, but he had to find her. 

 

He let out a chuckle as he leaned over the railing. "Huang Wei Jin, you are getting crazy..." he said. Then, he decided to call Riley once again. "Riley, I need another favor..."

"Sure, just tell me, Wei Jin."

 

A smile formed on his lips. "I want you to investigate Kewalin Boonsatta. Send all of her files to me as soon as you find anything..."