Chapter 8: Tragic Nostalgia

Going Up, Going Down
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Champ,” one of her teammate, Yeri, calls her attention while they’re at the lockers, preparing to take a shower after a long training. “You know why Tzuyu decided to choose track and field out of all the other better clubs out there, right?”

Everyone on the team calls Chaeyoung as Champ when rumors eventually started that she’d be the next team captain when the small girl had her first run and coach was really impressed.

“Uhm…,” Chaeyoung thinks for a moment. Yeah, about that, Tzuyu did never mention why she joined track and field—she knows how pumped she is at archery, and now it kind of bothers her why. “I’m not really sure, but I guess she wants to try running.”

Yeri chuckles hysterically at Chaeyoung and the latter made a confused look. What’s so funny about it? “You really don’t know why some people choose clubs, huh?”

She looks at Yeri for a moment before proceeding to get her things on the locker. She placed her towel on her right shoulder as she holds her fresh clothes. Still the same reaction, she asks her, “What do you mean?”

“What I meant was Tzuyu definitely chose this club is because of you,” Yeri closes her locker and sits in one of the benches.

“Huh?”

Yeri closes her eyes as she lies down, taking a deep breath after. “It’s because she likes you, duh.”

“I’m glad you have some self-conscious to give us free drinks,” Tzuyu smiles for the first time, sipping her chocolate chips frap while her dimples gladly show itself.

Chaeyoung tries to distract herself by kicking the air, but no matter what she does, she’d still hear her—she’d still reminisce the days where Tzuyu was like that—showing her real feelings. Full of emotion and passion, not like this who always wear a mask to pretend nothing’s bothering her.

“Honestly, what’d I be without you two,” Nayeon sighs as she puts her wallet in her pocket. They walk spontaneously at the silent block in the city. “It honestly feel like I’m destined to bring you two back together. You know, after that tragic… uhm… .”

The youngest girl gives the oldest girl a look of disgust, but it hurts her to look back, if she is honest.

“Tzuyu.”

It’s like heaven whenever she calls her by her name. She doesn’t know why she’s so special to her and why she has this feeling for her. She knows there’s other girls who likes Chaeyoung—and it’s mostly because of her look and energy that she brings. Though to her—it’s different. She experienced who Chaeyoung is first hand, and she’s everything a person could ask for. Chaeyoung would never see it to herself, but her smile and laugh are adorable that it makes her contagious; her serious tone talking deep conversations; and lastly, the way she is.

“Tzuyu!” Chaeyoung calls her best friend again in an attempt to gain her attention. It worked.

“Y-Yeah?” the younger girl stutters as she pierced her eyes on the older girl. How can she make eye contact to such a pure soul and open-minded person?

“What’s been bothering you, lately?” she chuckles lightly.

You.

“You always stare off. Should I be concerned?”

Tzuyu declined right after, shaking both of her hands in disapproval. “N-No! I’m alright, I’m alright! No need to be worried about me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure!”

“Then what did coach instructed us to do?”

.

Tzuyu spaced off.

“See?” Chaeyoung giggles softly and pushed Tzuyu to run beside her. “Coach told me to be partners with you. To make sure you get to run.”

It’s not even 5 minutes has passed when Tzuyu starts to pant and look pale.

“Honestly, Tzuyu, why did you choose track and field when archery is literally waiting for you?”

It’s a little too early for that to be answered, she thinks.

“I’ll tell you when the time comes,” she smirks off, but a blush appeared on her cheeks. “For now, just be the Champ I know that’d help me out finish the line.”

 

“Way to make things awkward, Nayeon,” Chaeyoung rolls her eyes.

“Shut up! You haven’t even said sorry to me and Momo that day!”

 

It was raining when Chaeyoung calls for help at Momo and Nayeon.

It’s been two weeks since Tzuyu and her talked. After the confession, everything just vanished. Her best friend just stopped talking to her and she didn’t know what to do but look at her from afar.

“Tzuyu texted back,” says Momo after checking her phone.

 

Tzuyu:

Sorry about the ignoring stuff. We can catch up, yeah? I’m at the School grounds, busy with the training. Make sure to persuade Nayeon into running even just for a mile. We gotta make those cranky bones work, amirite? Love ya.

18:33

 

“Yeah, mine, too,” Nayeon looks at Momo’s phone then types quite aggressively. Honestly, everyone keeps talking about her getting old like she’s a hag.

 

Nayeon:

you little , i’m not that old. you knew i’m worried and yet you ignored me? and by the way, who the is too busy to reply at a 3 days ago text? anyway, i’m with momo. we’re going to kidnap you.

18:38

 

She gives her phone to Chaeyoung to check out what Tzuyu’s been doing.

 

Tzuyu:

Sorry I didn’t text you back fast enough. Ya know, kinda busy with the training lately? I’m out for a run if ya wanna see me. Don’t think I’d stop running just for me to listen to ya. Think of it as a stretch. I’m doing this for your cranky bones. I’m serious about making that bones golden. Love ya, I know you’re worried. Don’t be, alright? I’m doing good after everything happened with the… things. See me at the School grounds. I’m betting you’re with Momo. The more the merrier, right?

18:36

 

“Yeah, Tzuyu’s been talking about trying to be track and field’s varsity. She’s overdoing herself though, since she’s already a varsity in archery,” Momo pouts as she types in.

 

Momo:

hey u, u cute giraffe )): im gonna give u lots of hugs when we get there. luv u, bb! w8 for us, ok?

18:41

 

Chaeyoung stops and looks at Momo. “Since when did she join archery?”

“Two weeks ago,” both girls in front of her says at the same time.

“What?!” Chaeyoung screams in surprise. That’s not coincidence at all. It was last two weeks when Tzuyu confessed to her.

“You don’t have to jump into conclusions. Tzuyu’s—,” Nayeon starts, but was cut off by Chaeyoung.

“What do you mean not jump into conclusions?! Two weeks ago, Tzuyu confessed to me and since then she didn’t talk to me. Not a single utter or look back on me. How the hell are you going to explain that?!” she stands up in her own seat and prepared herself to go to the School to talk to Tzuyu. She doesn’t need t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter