Chapter 6: Escaping Reunion Dinner

Going Up, Going Down
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night—the supposed to be a sleepover to avoid Sana turned into facing Sana across the table while their parents talk to each other, albeit too loud. They were eccentric to see each other again after years has passed. It’s just awkward for the both of them because they can’t talk anything right in front of their parents—first topic being Sana kissing Nayeon at the airport. Nayeon even have one proof that it did happen—a taken picture captured by Sana’s dad. Is this some kind of art to him? She gets that he’s a photographer and all, but it just doesn’t make any sense for them not to react in any form of way.

“Oh, yeah!” Sana’s mom looks at what Nayeon’s mom is holding and looked for a while to discern. A smile creeps on her lips and she turned her back to face her husband, patting his shoulder. “I remember this handsome photographer taking that picture of Sana and Nayeon at their first sleepover. Look how grown up they are now!”

Nayeon sinks in the table in embarrassment while Sana seems to play with the adults’ talks.

“Yeah?” Sana looks over at the photo and agrees, but she eyes her mother if she’s just playing tricks with her. “I look so much like you now. Should I take that as a compliment?”

Everyone laughs, even Nayeon’s sister, Soyeon. How?

Everything just sounds awkward to Nayeon, so she glances at every area where she can possibly make an excuse.

Jackpot.

Really bad and nasty boy—even peed on his own bed—but really handsome.

Kookeu.

Nayeon turns her attention on her mom and distracted her, “H-Hey, mom? I should feed Kookeu now, he looks like he’s hungry.”

“O-Oh right, Kookeu,” she says without even looking at her daughter’s eyes. She’s too focused at their adult conversation. “Yeah, you should go and feed Kookeu.”

Yes. Escape Plan accomplished.

She stands up at her own seat and left, but before that ever began, at the side of her own eyes, she saw Sana slumping down when she overheard what she’s doing—obviously trying to go out of this mess.

She’s guilty, alright. She doesn’t even know why, but letting her be alone at that sit made her punch on her own chest repeatedly whilst she walks over at Kookeu’s cabinet filled with his dietary program and his finely folded clothes (don’t forget his treats).

She called Kookeu over to go at the back porch and placed his meal on the floor, taking a seat on the floor afterwards, facing the sunset in front of her.

Her dog sides his head in confusion as he sits beside her, not touching his food.

God, even my dog knows I’m weird lately.

He’s either used to eating at her room’s balcony or at the dining area.

“Kookeu, eat your food. Are you seriously going on a hunger strike because of this?”

His nose just keeps on flaring while looking at her, still having the same expression as before.

Nayeon pierces her eyes on her dog’s for a while but eventually gave up. She sighs as she lifts her fringe at the side of her face, fixing her hair properly. She pats Kookeu while she stares at the sunset.

Is the universe all against her? She has a mental health issue that hasn’t been dealt with and her trigger just literally decided to barge in back in her life after years. Why? Is it because of her past experiences, even if that was years ago? Maybe, just maybe—it’s still within her after all. Memory is like a piece of seed—there can be good or bad. The good gets watered by happiness while bad gets watered by sadness. Both plants grew in her—and maybe, just maybe—it’s what made her be today.

“Kind of busy thinking, huh?”

A pleasant voice suddenly disturbs Nayeon’s train of thoughts, making her jump in her seat. “Ah!”

That made Kookeu’s ears lift and he barks at her stupid owner.

The Japanese girl giggles at her childhood friend’s reaction. “You keep acting like I’m a ghost or something, is there something wrong with you and I?”

Nayeon’s eyes bulge and shakes her hands exasperatedly at Sana, denying the latter’s question. It’s too late that she real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter