My Way or the Highway

Love story...

It was the Fourth of July when things started going down hill. The night sky was lit up with colorful flashes of light and streaks of rainbows. It was beautiful.

I was sitting in the sand with Yunho's arms around me. Uie sat close beside me, equally trapped within Jaejoong's arms.

All of a sudden, I heard Uie start to sing.

"Wise men say only fools rush in,
But I can't help falling in love with you.
Shall I stay? Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you..."

At the time, I thought it was sweet. I actually thought thatUie was serenading Jaejoong. What I didn't know was that song was Yunho's and Uie's song. The two of them used to be a couple all during their high school years. Something had happened between them and they just ended it.

Uie kept on singing and I could feel Yunho's arms stiffen.

I looked up at him and saw that his face was hard.

"Are your arms getting tired, Yunho?" I asked.

He shook his head no. He then got up, brushed the sand off of him, and walked away from the beach.

I felt so confused. Did I do something wrong? Say something to offend him? What just happened?

I looked at Jaejoong and Uie for some answers but neither one of them even looked at me.

Fine. I'll just find the answer out myself.

I ran after Yunho.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off of you.
You'd be like heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much..."

The music abruptly stopped and another one started to play.

"Wise men say only fools rush in..."

Yunho was standing at the juke box. He had one arm dangling off it's counter and the other arm covering his face.

I walked up to him and slid my hands over his stomach. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

Yunho slowly turned around and looked me in the eye. "This is our song. Our song. Uie's and I."

I understood. I understood completely, but just in case I was interpreting him wrong, I had to ask, "What do you mean?"

"Our song," he repeated. "Uie and I were high school sweethearts. We kept the relationship going for all four years, off and on. Whenever we broke it up, if we still had feelings for each other, we'd sing this song." He laughed out loud. "It was much easier than saying, 'I love you, take me back!'"

I took a step back, trying hard to take in his words. "What are you saying, that Uie wants to take you back?"

"Why else would she sing that song? She knows what it means."

"No. It can't be that. She already has Jaejoong and...and...and you have me!" I threw my arms around him. "Don't leave me, Yunho. Please, don't." I knew I sounded desparate, but I'm not someone who could easily keep her emotions in check.

Yunho sighed and hugged me back. "I'm not going to leave you, Kahi. I love you too. No matter what, I'll always love you."

"What a coincidence, Jaejoong." Uie had just walked into the shop. "It's the song I was singing on the beach!"

Jaejoong looked at Yunho with what I swear were daggers in his eyes.

Uie walked over looking like that cat that ate the canaray. "Kahi, Yunho, why did you leave the beach without telling us?"

Yunho replied, "We wanted to be alone."

Uie looked curiously around her. "So you chose a tiny ice cream shop that is overcrowded with people?"

"Come on,Kahi." Yunho grabbed my arm and started to drag me out of there. "It's getting late, I better get you home."

Uie wouldn't let us go. "Why leave? The fun's only just begun!"

Jaejoong stepped up next to Uie and murmured, "Just let them go, Uie."

She shouted, "I don't want to let them go! They have to do what I say!"

Yunho pulled me out of there. "Come on."

Uie ran after us. "NO! You can't leave like that!" She started to beat Yunho on the chest. "You heard me! I know you heard me! I sang it, Yunho! I sang it!"

Yunho pushed her away and said calmly, "I know you sang it. And the answer is no."

I was torn with emotions. On the one hand, I was overwhelmed with the love and warmth that I was feeling for Jung Yunho; but then there was Uie. I thought she was my friend, and she still was! I felt totally disgusted of her, but I loved her and wanted to hold her and tell her everything was going to be all right. But nothing ever goes my way.