Chapter 5

blooming hearts | rosekook

The nagging thought of her having to tutor Jungkook followed Chaeyoung throughout her day, diverting her full attention from her classes. Not only were her friends concerned, her teachers even thought her attitude was peculiar.

It was her last period of the day: music. At this point, everyone noticed that her bubbly and enthusiastic character was replaced with a dismal facade.

"Chaeyoung, are you alright? You don't seem like your optimistic self and it worries me. You know where my office is if you want to need to talk to someone." Mrs. Lim, her music teacher, and a teacher Chaeyoung probably cherished the most, said gently.

Chaeyoung's heart clenched at the worried look her teacher gave her. If they were on a ship and she had to save the president of the United States or Mrs. Lim, she'd save her teacher without hesitation. "Mrs. Lim! I'm definitely a-okay, so you don't need to worry about me," she gave her a bright smile, not quite reaching her eyes. "I'm so sorry for arising any feeling of worry, though." 

Mrs. Lim sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Chaeyoung, you are like a daughter to me. Don't ever apologize about me being worried over you! I'll let this slide, but please, I want to see you smile next class. Is it really music class without your laughter ringing in the room even when the class ends?"

Chaeyoung chuckled. "I'll be sure to, Mrs. Lim. I'd love to stay and chat some more, but I have to tutor a student at the library and I really don't want to be tardy. Have a lovely afternoon!" She gave Mrs. Lim a quick hug and bolted out of the class.

Now, as she's sitting on one of the hard plastic chairs in the library, she realizes that sprinting across the campus was completely unnecessary.

It was 4:26, and they were supposed to meet at 3:45.

Chaeyoung huffed, tapping her pencil against her textbook. It wasn't like a tardy Jungkook was unheard of- he did come to the counselor's office late. But that shouldn't justify why he wasn't here now. The library was on the campus, for Christ's sake! Unless he didn't attend school that day at all, or if he was abducted (which couldn't help but spark a sense of worry in Chaeyoung. But she managed to subside that feeling quickly- who the worries about a self-absorbed nut case like him?) there was no other plausible reason as to why their tutoring session was delayed by 41 minutes.

Chaeyoung was in the midst of considering to pack up and just go home when Jungkook burst through the library doors, finding Chaeyoung in a number of seconds and striding over to her. She glared at him as he was shrugging off his letter jacket. No words could describe how pissed she was. 

"Would you care to explain why you're so ing late, Jungkook?"

Jungkook proceeded to roll his eyes as he sat on the chair across from her. "I was having a quick hang with my girlfriend. I would elaborate, but you wouldn't be able to relate, so what's the point?"

"Very funny, Jeon. I'm cracking up with laughter this very second. Now shut the up, and open your textbook. We have to go back to learning about the basics because of your pathetic ." From that time to the end of the session, Chaeyoung was hoping to finish teaching him a crash course summary of the abnormalities of chromosomal aberrations, but, of course, the universe loved to take a huge on her.

"Jungkook! For the last ing time, would you please concentrate?! I can't keep reiterating the same basic definition over and over again for you!" Chaeyoung groaned.

Jungkook, unfazed, continued to twirl a pencil between his fingers. "What? I'm sorry, I didn't catch that, you might have to say that again."

"Oh, my-" Chaeyoung slammed the textbook closed, inducing a shocked expression on Jungkook's face. She abruptly stood up, shoving all her books in her bag. "I see me storming out of a room when you're in it is a common occurrence. It's like you either genuinely don't care about your schoolwork or you hate me. Or maybe both! Regardless of what it is, I don't tolerate it, Jungkook. I'm literally spending my free time to teach straightforward and key material for you, yet you continue to sit here as though you could give less of a about anything because that's how you always react to everything!

"Just so you're aware, I despise you too. So much. But I at least have the heart to ignore my hatred to you and give you an opportunity to improve your grades. You're the one that's losing the scholarship, are you not? So if you do end up losing that prized possession of yours, consider that as your fault, not mine." Slinging her bag on her shoulder, Chaeyoung stalked towards the library's exit.

Jungkook frowned at the doors once they closed shut. Slowly, he too began packing his bag. While he hated to agree with her, she was right. He was the one who sought help, and he got it.He could change tutors, but he knew for a fact that she had to be the best option for him if he wanted to get back to playing football soon.

As Jungkook walked to his car, he saw Chaeyoung, her back facing him. Awkwardly, he leisurely took small steps towards his car, stopping only when he heard a sniffle from her direction. He stared at her crying figure for a couple moments, immediately whipping his head the other way when she turned her head to him.

Furiously wiping her eyes, Chaeyoung asserts a small "What the hell are you looking at, Jeon?" before quickly getting in her car and starting the ignition.

"Nothing." he murmurs to the clouds of dust the wheels of her car form as she drove away. Getting his car, he surprisingly felt an ounce of guilt. Maybe he should have apologized to her instead of acting like a complete dickhead. Then again, what did you expect from him? He had an ego taller than the empire state building- Jungkook apologizing to a nerd- a nerd that he absolutely abhors- is as common as seeing a dodo bird lurking around in the Antarctic.

A/N:

Wow, is this an update? If Jungkook apologizing to Rosie is rare, me updating takes that and beats it by a mile.

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to update sooner! I do recall saying that I was supposed to write this chapter a day after chapter 4 was released, but I also am a massive procrastinator :P

School has also just started in Australia, and it's so stressful >.< So many CTs are coming up- I'm shocked I'm still alive right this second lmao

Anyhow, I do hope you like this chapter! I can't promise that my updates will be sooner than this, but I'll try my best to pump out chapters as quickly as I can :D

By the way, I understand it may seem that Jungkook's relationship with Rosie seems so unlikely at this point in time. But I assure you that the next couple of chapters will be the beginning of their arising friendship and shortly after their relationship <3 So please be patient and sit tight!

Also, have you all watched BlackPink on GMA? I haven't shut up about Rosie's English since that interview omg. And BTS at the Grammy Awards? The fact that there's no fancam of them reacting to Lady Gaga singing shallow is so devastating T-T

I hope you have a spontaneous day!