Chapter 8

blooming hearts | rosekook

The smell of bubblegum ice cream and chocolate syrup wafted around him as Chaeyoung opened the door to the dessert parlor. He looked down, seeing her hand grasping his own tightly. She had no clear intentions of letting go. Maybe he didn't want to let go of her either- he held her hand like a vice; as if it was the only thing that can keep him grounded.

Chaeyoung dragged him along to one of the empty booths in the corner of the parlor, hidden from curious eyes.

Shivering, she said, "We can't beat this bitter cold without some hot chocolate, so wait here while I get some, okay?" he gave a small nod in response. With a soft smile, Chaeyoung let go of his hand, albeit hesitantly and walked over to the front.

Jungkook plopped onto the seat, the soft and torn leather pillowing him. He let out a breath that he didn't realize he was holding. Curiously, he turned his head to the other side of the shop and quietly observed Chaeyoung while she was placing the order.

He noticed that her hair was down today, a rare occurrence from her typical low ponytails that she wears to school. The soft, brown locks cascaded down her slender back in delicate curls, framing her oh my God, since when was her waist that tiny?

Realizing that he was ogling her long legs for way too long, Jungkook blushed, quickly turning his head to stare at the now very interesting abstract painting of a milkshake. He shook his head vigorously, refusing to let any thoughts of Chaeyoung reside fully in his mind. Why is he so bloody conscious of the way she looks now? He shouldn't be thinking about her this way, she's his tutor, for Christ's sake. He shouldn't be thinking about her at all.

Just as he was about to give himself another mental slap in the face, Chaeyoung placed two steaming mugs of hot chocolate on the table.

"Finally, the long overdue hot chocolate! Sorry, I hope you didn't have to wait too long," she said sheepishly, as she sat on the seat across from him.

"Now," Chaeyoung began, pausing to take a huge gulp from her mug, "wanna tell me what happened?"

Jungkook shrugged. "It's really nothing, Chaeyoung. Nothing that concerns you."

She gave him a hard stare. "For the last time, Jungkook, I'm not letting you keep this to yourself. This genuinely seemed to break you, and if you keep holding it down inside you're going to end up at your breaking point and that's when will really hit the fan." she huffed. " And besides, I didn't pay for your hot chocolate for you to tell me you're 'fine'".

Jungkook leaned back. "I don't know, I guess I'll just start with the relationship between my dad and I? My parents divorced a while back and it has never really been the same between any of us. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, we have a great relationship and I get along with her partner, but my dad? I've lived with him since this divorce and all he has been doing is belittling me and making me feel like utter .

It's like I'm never enough for him. He wanted me to do football, so I did. He wanted me to join the swim team, so I did. He wanted me to do everything, and I did it. It's like everything I do never gets close to satisfying his expectations.

He brings women to the house every night. Not one day do I see him without a glass of whiskey in his hand. The only time he really does talk to me is when we're in another one of his socialite parties, but even then he doesn't talk to me directly, only about me. He doesn't value me as a son, he values me as a decorative item on his mantlepiece to show off."

He finishes, looking down at his white knuckles as he grips his own mug of hot chocolate tightly. Silence echoed between the both of them before he manages to belt out, "To be honest, it's a stupid thing to be crying about. I totally get it."

"No! Oh my God, you have it all wrong, Jungkook. I don't know what to say, is all. Holy , I wish I can do something to help you. I guess it would be wrong in my part to say that I never would have expected someone like you to go through something as horrid as this," she drummed her fingers against her empty mug. "I'm in no place to give you any advice, but you should really sit him down and talk to him. Express your feelings and allow him to admit his. I feel like the good father figure he used to be is still there, he just needs a little push from you."

He smiled at her. "Thanks, Chaeyoung. For the advice and all. I've never really thought about talking to him, to be honest. I always thought of him as a lost cause. But thank you for letting me talk to you as well. It really lifted the heavy weight off my chest."

Her smile in return was equally if not brighter than his. "Don't thank me, Jeon, I'm glad you opened up to me. Anyways," she turns her head to look out the window. "It's dark out, and as much as I would like to stay and chat to you in a civilized manner for the first time, I need to get home to my guinea pig." she faces him again, her expression laced with concern. "Are you sure you're going to be alright at home?"

Jungkook chuckled. "Yeah, I'll be fine. It's not like I haven't been dealing with this for the last four years."

Flushed, Chaeyoung got out of her seat, Jungkook following suit. They bid a friendly goodbye to the staff at the parlor before heading out to Chaeyoung's car.

"," Chaeyoung said. "You left your car at school! God, I'm so sorry for not thinking this through. Let me drive you home." Jungkook shook his head.

"Chaeyoung, stop. It's fine, I'll just take an Uber. You've done a lot for me already, and I can always fetch my car tomorrow at school and have Tae come pick me up."

Chaeyoung bit her lip. "Fine. At least let me wait with you until the uber comes."

Standing at a relatively awkward distance from each other, they waited for the car to arrive. The sound of cars rushing past was only heard until the obvious sound of teeth chattering from Chaeyoung's direction caught Jungkook's attention.

With one fluid motion, he takes off his coat, placing it around Chaeyoung's shoulders. He laughed at how it practically swallowed her whole.

"Don't bother protesting or giving it back to me, Chaeng. Just a "thanketh thee f'r the coat, as i now has't nay chance of having frostbite." Jungkook said, while eliciting a dramatic bow.

Chaeyoung laughed, pulling the coat tighter around her. "Thank you, Jungkook." They returned to their awkward, bashful silence until the Uber came moments later.

Waving goodbye, he hopped in, and Chaeyoung watched the car zoom away before she, too, drove home.

She didn't realize she was still wrapped around Jungkook's coat until she unlocked the door to her home and stepped inside. Inhaling, she smelled the musky scent of cologne on his coat- a hint of sandalwood with a bit of cinnamon and leather. Like a warm winter's night by a fireplace, drinking hot chocolate on a leather couch. Or like a date at a dessert parlor, drinking hot chocolate with a certain someone on worn down leather seats at a dimly lit booth.

Chaeyoung suddenly felt way too warm. She hoped it was because of the hot chocolate. 

 

 

A/N: 

Hi, everyone! 

I do hope you enjoy this chapter! Don't worry, there are many more touchy moments between them in the future :D 

Now that exam season has finally come to an end, I now have the time to make more frequent updates! (not a promise though :P) It's not the writing that I have difficulty with, it's trying to find the time where I can write in one sitting :) I'm sorry for making everyone wait long!

Anyways, I just recently came back from the best experience of my ENTIRE life- Blackpink's concert in Melbourne! Holy , no words can describe my love for them and how fun the concert was. Legit when they appeared on the stage for the first time to perform DDDD I started crying. 

They're so pretty in person like it's unreal. And Roseanne Park, my God- she's the reason why I bother to wake up every morning.