The Trip (2)

The Restaurant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Kim Minjoo! What a pleasant surprise! What are you doing here?" The tall guy said happily with his famous charming smile.

Minjoo who was still a little flustered finally smiled back to Hyungjoon and bowed politely. "Annyeonghase-yo sunbae-nim, it's nice to see you too! I-eh, the restaurant won a vacation prize so that's why" she answered, stealing a stare to Yujin who was looking as unbothered as her usual self.

"Really? Congratulations!" he replied. "I see that your restaurant is going well now, you must be happy," he added.

"Thank you," she replied. "Anyway what are you doing here sunbae-nim?" she asked, intending not to let silence surrounds the three of them because she could already sense an awkward tension and she didn't know why.

"The club is having a monthly gathering in a resort just around here, I was actually on my way back to the group but then I spotted you. You've gotten so much prettier than the last time we met," he started his move.

Minjoo just smiled politely in response. The club must have a lot of fundings to be having a monthly gathering all the way in Jeju-do when they could easily held it in Seoul. "Ah right, Yujin-ah, this is Hyungjoon Sunbae, a senior in my major and sunbae-nim, this is Ahn Yujin, she's ehm, currently a chef in our restaurant," she introduced the two. Yujin just bowed her head slightly to the tall guy.

"It's nice to meet you," he said, bowing politely.

"Anyway the club is having a barbeque party tonight, would you like to join? Yujin-ssi and your dad are welcomed to join too," he asked.

Minjoo was about to answer the question when Sakura and Yena suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"Omo! Hyungjoon sunbae! You're here too?" Sakura faked her surprised expression when really, she and Yena were running like crazy the minute they saw the guy was approaching their potential couple.

"Oh? Sakura? You're almost everywhere," he replied, Sakura took it as him implying that she always latched on Minjoo everytime he saw her.

"Of course, Minjoo and I are like sisters," Sakura replied also putting on the most charming smile on her face as she clinged her hand to Minjoo protectively.

"Well, I was wondering if you guys are free tonight because the club is having a barbeque party, you guys would be a great company to the club," he asked again, with his eyes only looking at Minjoo. It was as if he wanted to let her know that he wanted her the most to come.

"Uh-"

"That's too bad, we have a busy schedule ahead so it'd be difficult for us to come," Yena spoke before Minjoo could even say a word.

"Feel free to come by it'd be great to have you guys around, especially you," he said, shifting his eyes to the pretty brunette but Sakura was quick to shield her bestfriend with her body. "Really? I don't know you like me that much," Sakura replied. As soon as she stopped speaking her last word, the sky finally fell down and rain started to pour.

"Sunbae-nim, I think we have to go back to our bus, it's nice to see you here," Minjoo bid the senior goodbye before she was dragged by Sakura to run to their bus, but before that, Hyungjoon grabbed her hand and gave her his umbrella. "Here, take this with you, you can't be sick on your vacation," he said.

Minjoo was about to decline but Sakura immediately took the umbrella to shield both of them from the rain while Yena and Yujin had run ahead of them, probably had arrived in their bus.

"Thank you sunbae-nim, I'll make sure to get it back to you," Minjoo shouted before waving her hands to the senior.

........

The tour committee had to make some changes on the tour plan because of the massive rain happening in almost all region of Jeju City. They couldn't get out of the bus so the guide decided to take the group for a ride around the city. Of course it was a bummer to Mr. Kim because he was the one who's very excited to see all tourist attractions in Jeju-do. The seat arrangement was also changed to Minjoo sitting next to her dad because she wanted to console him and Yena ended up sitting next to Sakura's dad. They've been talking about baseball nonstop. And last but not least, Sakura and Yujin who weren't really close to each other stucked together because they didn't have much choice.

Minjoo looked at her dad who was currently staring at the heavy rain outside the bus window. Eventhough he acted all happy she knew that all his excitements were just his way to forget about his memories about Jeju Island. Where the last time he went there was with his beloved wife.

"Appa, are you okay?" she finally asked after contemplating whether to talk about it or not because she herself has been feeling a little blue. Being in Jeju-do again after years also brings back the memories of her mom eventhough it was so vague for her.

Mr. Kim turned to look at his daughter and smiled. He tried to be as happy as he could but he could never hide his sad eyes from his daughter. "Yes, of course, it's because I was reminded of your mom, that's all," he answered.

The brunette nodded her head and took her dad's hand into hers. "I know, I miss her," she replied.

"Me too," he said. "I miss her everyday," he added.

Minjoo looked at her dad who was back to his previous position, staring to the outside with his head resting on the bus window. She had decided to not bother her dad anymore because it seemed like he wanted some alone time by himself. So she let go of his hand and put on her earphone to listen to some music. She needed to divert this depressed mood out because again, this is a vacation. She needed to have fun at least. Before she was drowned on the music playing on her ears, she could still hear Yena and Sakura's dad still talking about baseball, and as she glanced back, her eyes immediately set to a certain short-haired girl who was sleeping peacefully with Sakura beside her who was busy with her phone. She probably was playing some video games installed on her phone. Minjoo let out a heavy sigh and went back to her position. How could she be all happy when being in Jeju-do brings back all the memories about her mom and everytime she looks at Yujin she couldn't help but to be reminded that the tall girl is leaving them soon.

......

"Finally!" Sakura exclaimed as she threw her body on the king-sized bed, feeling completely exhausted eventhough they spent most of the day sitting on the bus, hearing the boring tour guide talking about history.

Minjoo who was previously walking behind the japanese girl dropped her bag and joined Sakura on the bed. She couldn't stop thinking of how much the committee is paying for the vacation since they get to stay in one of the most expensive resorts in Jeju Island. She got to admit that the luxurious resort was slowly decreasing her sadness level. At least she could enjoy the free spa when it's raining cats and dogs outside.

"They really went all out this year," she said, breaking the silence between her and Sakura. She was as exhausted as Sakura since she had to wake up at dawn to get ready to the airport.

"I know right," Sakura replied as her eyes glance at the clock on the wall and sighed. "It's not even 4 o'clock yet but I'm so sleepy," she said, closing her eyes. "Wake me up when it's dinner time," she said, half-sleeping.

"hmm," was only Minjoo's reply because she herself was also on the entrance to dreamland.

......

Sakura snapped from her deep slumber when she could hear someone banging on their door. With her eyes still half closed, she slowly got up from the bed, trying to collect consciousness. She glanced to her left to see Minjoo still sleeping peacefully, completely not disturbed by the loud banging on the door. Sakura yawned and stretched her body before making her way, stumbling to the door to see who interrupted her sleep.

She opened the door and rolled her eyes when she saw Yena standing in front of her. She was about to slam the door closed but Yena was quick enough to swoop in the room and sat on their couch. Sakura just gave up and closed the door again. Her usual self would drag Yena back outside but she was just too sleepy to fight with the annoying girl. She jumped back to the bed to continue her sleep, but of course Yena just won't let it happen.

"Hey! It's already 7 pm, let's go have dinner," Yena stood up from her seat and walked to the bed, shaking Sakura's body.

Sakura grunted and shrugged Yena off, tighting her grasp on her pillow.

"Oh come on!" Yena yelled and successfully made Minjoo woken up from her sleep. The brunette stretched her body and searched for her cookie jar on the nightstand but found nothing. Yena noticed it and immediately walked to Minjoo's bag to look for the jar. Once she found it, she handed it to the brunette.

"Thank you," Minjoo said with her raspy voice. She sat on the bed and took a bite of her chocolate cookie as she tidied her messy hair. "Unnie, how did you know I was looking for my cookie?" she asked, glancing at Yena.

"This rhino told me," Yena answered, pointing at Sakura. "It's surprising that you stayed so skinny with all that sugar you ate everyday," she commented as she took a seat beside Minjoo.

"What time is it unnie?" the brunette asked, still munching her cookie.

Yena didn't answer the question and made her way to the window and pull the drape open, showing the previously a view of Jeju-do corally beach to a dark sky with rain drops. "It's dinner time," she said.

"How long have we been sleeping?" Minjoo talked to herself. She then got up from the bed and walked to the bathroom to wash up, leaving Sakura and Yena alone.

Yena took a glance at Sakura who was still sleeping and sighed. She the tv and maximized the volume, making the japanese girl jumped from her sleep. "I'm awake now!" she exclaimed, with her eyes still half open.

"Good, now get ready, we need to have dinner," she said, as she threw herself to the couch to watch the TV.

Sakura stared at Yena who was preoccupied with the TV. She rolled her sleepy eyes in annoyance. "Why can't you go annoy someone else? Your roommate for example," she said, refering to Yujin.

"I can't," Yena answered with her eyes still on the TV.

"Why? Did she kick you out of your room or something?"

"No, she's at the gym,"

"Well then go to the gym, follow her like you always do,"

"I can't,"

"Why?"

"Because I hate the gym," Yena answered, not even moving her eyes from the tv.

"Why?"

Yena shut her eyes. She couldn't believe that she finally got annoyed. It was usually the other way around. She then took a deep breath and sighed. "Because it's filled with sweaty people,"

"Ooh, so she went to the gym on purpose to avoid you, smart move," Sakura nodded her head when she came to the conclusion, which made Yena finally glance at the latter, piercing her eyes.

"No it's not," Yena replied with a stern voice.

"Yes it is, isn't obvious? She wanted to get rid of you, so she went to the gym. What kind of psycho would go to the gym when they're on vacation," Sakura countered, cocking her eyebrows to look extra annoying.

"Well, Yujin kind of psycho," Yena replied, also cocking her eyebrow.

Eventhough Sakura thought that it made good sense that someone as weird as Yujin would go to the gym in the middle of a vacation, she was determined to annoy Yena so she shrugged her shoulders and began to unpack her stuffs. "I get why you don't pick up things like this, you know, you're a bit slow in here," she said casually with her index finger pointing at her own head.

"You know what? I've been thinking about this since it seemed like you always wanted my attention, be honest with me, do you like me or something?" Yena asked, hoping that Sakura would panick but she didn't get the reaction she hoped for.

The japanese girl looked at Yena and sighed. "See? Like I said, you're a bit slow in the head and it shows," she replied as she put out the clothes she wanted to wear.

Yena was about to open but stopped when they both heard another knock on the door. The two stared at each other, wondering who it was.

"Answer the door," Sakura odered with her bossy tone.

"No way, you're closer to the door, you answer it!" Yena declined strongly.

Sakura rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Can't you see that I'm unpacking?"

"Can't you see that I'm watching TV?" Yena countered.

Sakura was about to say another word when the door knocking stop. "Sakura-chan? Minjoo-chan?" Sakura's dad voice could be heard from the outside after a few moments.

"Dad?" Sakura said before making her way to the door. She peeked through the peephole and saw her dad and Mr. Kim standing in front of their room.

"Were you sleeping?" Sakura's dad asked the minute the japanese girl opened the door.

"Kind of," she answered.

"Where's Minjoo-chan?" he asked.

"In the bathroom, why?"

"We just want to let you guys know that we're going out to have a drink with the other uncles, so we'll be a little late," Mr. Kim said.

Sakura nodded her head. "Ah, ahjusshi do you want me to get Minjoo?" she asked but Mr. Kim just shook her head.

"No need, we're just letting you guys know in advance because we probably won't be able to answer calls later," Mr. Kim answered.

The japanese girl frowned in resonse. "Why?" she asked.

"Because we'll probably be so drunk," the middle-aged man answered. "We'll be off then, the others are waiting for us," Sakura's dad said and started to make his way to the elevator before hugging his daughter goodbye.

"Okay then, have fun! Don't drunk call us!" Sakura said, bidding the two goodbye before slamming the door closed. She walked back to the bed to finish unpacking.

"Your dad and Mr. Kim went out with the other uncles?" Yena asked the once Sakura returned to the bed.

"You have a perfectly good hearing for someone who is slow in the head," she replied casually while folding her shirt. Yena on the other hand just gave the japanese girl a nasty look.

......

After what seemed like forever, Sakura and Minjoo had finally finished their bathroom routine and the three of them were already heading to the restaurant in the first level of the hotel.

The first thought that appeared on Minjoo's head once they arrived at the restaurant is that it's a place where 5-star chefs like Yujin would work. Everything in the hotel restaurant screams expensive.

"Isn't that Yujin?" Yena squinted her eyes to get a clearer look at the entranve direction. "Hey Ahn Yujin!" she called out, signaling Yujin to join them.

"I thought you were at the gym," Yena said upon looking at Yujin who wasn't sweating at all. She was still busy with her ipod.

"I was," the tall girl answered.

"Why aren't you sweating?"

"I took a shower,"

"Where?"

Yujin finally looked up to Yena and stared at her. Sakura and Minjoo who was standing next to them both looked at the two, anticipating what will happen next.

"At the gym," she answered shortly then looked down again to play with her ipod. It seemed like she was so busy with her ipod ever since they landed which made Yena very curious about it. So she jumped right next to the tall girl.

"What's so interesting about-" Yena couldn't finish her sentence when Yujin who was startled by Yena's sudden movement accidentally hit the ponytailed girl's nose with her elbow. Sakura and Minjoo both gasped in shock when they saw blood coming out of Yena's nose a few moment after Yujin pulled her hand out.

"Unnie, are you okay?" Minjoo exclaimed, immediately groping her sling bag to get some tissue. She gave it to the ponytailed girl who was tilting her head up to prevent blood from dripping out of her nose. Yena covered her nose with the tissue and glared at Yujin. "You never was jumpy and once you did you almost broke my nose," she scolded.

"Don't be so dramatic, at least you have an excuse to have that nose job now," Yujin said with her usual poker face, making Sakura bursted into laughter while Minjoo who probably was the only one who genuinely cared about the nose accident still helping the pony-tailed girl with the tissue.

"Well, since no one's nose is broken, can we have dinner now? I'm starving," Sakura said after her contented laughter.

The four of them sat at the rectangular dining table with Minjoo sitting next to Sakura and Yena who was still stuffing her nose with tissue sat next to Yujin. She was still feeling completely salty about her nose accident.

"Unnie, are you sure you don't need ice?" Minjoo asked for the second time, looking at Yena with sympathetic eyes. "I'm okay, thank you for worrying about me when the perpetrator herself didn't even ask if I was okay," Yena said, glancing at Yujin.

Yujin once again ignored it. Her eyes were still focusing on the menu.

"Did you ever heard a story about someone who has a nose accident and ended up dying the next day because of infection?" Sakura began her teasing and instantly felt satisfied when she got the reaction she wanted.

"Unnie! How could you say that?" Minjoo scolded Sakura but the japanese girl just shrugged her shoulders, showing that she couldn't be even more careless.

Yena widened her eyes and slapped Yujin's arm, making the tall girl groaned. "Hey Ahn Yujin! You just killed me,"

Yujin her hand and let out a heavy sigh. There was never a calm day when Yena is around. And now it got worse because Sakura was also around.

"Are you seriously buying that?" Yujin asked, shaking her head, feeling completely concerned about her betfriend's slow wit.

"It could easily happen! And trust me, you'll be friendless for the rest of your life when I'm gone," Yena replied, still sulking.

"I'm sorry I hit your nose, now shut up," Yujin finally said.

"Well that's better," the ponytailed girl replied. "Why are you so defensive toward your ipod anyway? Are you possibly hiding something from me?" she added, staring at Yujin with her suspicious stare.

"Good evening ladies, I'm waiter Lee, I'll be companying you for tonight" a middle-aged waiter suddenly came, interrupting Yena's interrogation. "Are you ready to order?"

"Ooh sure! We want all of your special tonight which I believe is your signature ribeye steak and also since we're having red meat I would like four glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon," Yena started their order completely forgot about her interrogation.

"Great choice! I'll be right back with the drinks and your appetizer for the night" the waiter then walked away after taking their menu books.

Sakura glared at Yena upon ordering without asking them beforehead. "What was that?" she asked.

"You'll thank me later," Yena answered shortly. "The keypoint when you're going to a fancy place like this is to order their special so you don't get played, right Yujin-ah?" she added, asking affirmation from the pro.

Minjoo and Sakura both looked at Yujin, anticipating for her answer. The chef eventually just nodded her head in return, affirming Yena's remark.

"Well some of us couldn't take any alcohol," Sakura said, earning a laugh from Yena.

"What?" Sakura asked, frowning.

The ponytailed girl kept on laughing as she wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes. "It's just that you look like that mean girl from highschool who started your drinking career earlier but it turned out you can't even take a sip of wine with the least amount of alcohol," she said between her laughter.

Sakura rolled her eyes and smacked the ponytailed girl's head. "It's not me! It's Minjoo," she said, which immediately made Yena stopped laughing. She shifted her eyes to look at Minjoo who was smiling awkwardly.

"I have zero alcohol tolerance," Minjoo said weakly. She was never a fan of alcohol because she couldn't stand the burn and the smell of it. Her first drink was a disaster because in the morning after, she threw up her three meals a day after she drank just three small glasses of soju. It was her lost because she was surrounded by heavy drinkers like her dad, Sakura's dad, and Sakura herself. Maybe she just took after her mom a lot.

"I'm so sorry for being insensitive, let me order you something else," Yena said before calling out the waiter again. "What drink do you want?" she asked.

"Water would be fine," the brunette answered.

"Anything else I can help you miss?" the waiter who was appointed to serve their table asked with a bottle of red wine on his hand.

"I would like to have your most expensive and finest sparkling water," Yena said.

The waiter who was pouring the wine to their glasses bowed his head. "Sparkling water coming right up, anything else I can provide you miss?" he asked.

"Nothing for now, thank you,"

The waiter just bowed before leaving the table.

"Oh my god, this is the best wine I've ever tasted in my entire life!" Sakura exclaimed with her eyes widened from happiness. "What is it called?" she asked.

"Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley's signature," Yujin answered after taking a sip of her wine.

"It reminds you of home doesn't it?" Yena said to Yujin.

"What home?" Sakura asked.

"You didn't know Yujin grew up in Napa Valley?" Yena asked.

"Napa Valley as in Napa Valley California? The home to the most famous wineries in the world?" Sakura asked with her high-pitched voice.

"You sure know your stuff and yes, Her family is the only Korean family who runs wineries in Napa Valley, and not to mention they are well-known for their finest Carbenet series," Yena answered instead of Yujin, explaining Yujin's family background as if she was somekind of a spokesman.

Sakura took a deep breath and let it go in a heavy sigh. "So let me get this straight, your credential as a chef is approved by the international world, your family is rich and you're also good looking," she said. "How are you so perfect?" the japanese girl blurted her honest amazement out. She never thought that she could meet someone with that kind of achievement in her life.

"Nobody's prefect," was only Yujin's answer. She had been getting that kind of reaction from people whenever they figured out her family background. She never really liked it.

Minjoo on the other hand, let Sakura's latest remark sinked in. Her high intensity of being around Yujin had made her sometimes forgot what kind of person the tall girl is. And it made her somewhat bummed because how could her being ever stopped Yujin from leaving the restaurant. Yujin has the brightest future specifically planned for her and staying in their restaurant longer is nowhere near a rational comparison.

.......

The four of them were already on their way back to their rooms after their overly expensive dinner but nothing has decided yet since Yena and Sakura have their masterplan prepared to get the frustrating two closer to each other.

"Hey! How about watching a movie in our room?" Sakura initiated.

"That's a great idea since it's too chilly to go out," Yena exclaimed, supporting Sakura's idea. "Sounds like fun, what do you think Yujin? You're coming too right?" Minjoo asked Yujin who was walking beside her.

Yujin looked at Minjoo's face for a moment before nodding her head. "Sure," she answered shortly.

"Wow Ahn Yujin! Would you be coming too if I was the one who asked?" Yena said teasingly.

"Anyways, we surely going to need some snacks, so who's coming with me to the convenience store?" Sakura asked.

Minjoo was about to volunteer since she wanted to buy her favorite banana milk but Yena was fast enough to overtake her.

"I'll go I'll go!!" she exclaimed, walking to Sakura's side.

"Minjoo-ah, I'll get you your favorite banana milk," Sakura said to her bestfriend. Knowing damn well that the brunette is in need of her favorite beverage. "You two can go ahead upstairs and choose whatever movie your heart desire to watch. We'll be right back!" with that, Sakura began to walk away, followed by Yena who didn't forget to wink at Yujin. The tall girl obviously showed no reaction to that.

Once Sakura and Yena were out of their sight, the two began walking to the elevator in silent. The atmosphere between them was pure awkwardness as usual. Minjoo was out of topic to talk about and Yujin was not a genius at starting conversation.

They arrived in front of the elevator and Yujin pressed the up botton. The awkwardness was elevating to another level now that they were just standing next to each other.

"So what kind of movie do you like?" Minjoo finally asked.

Yujin was silent for a moment and Minjoo thought that maybe the tall girl was not in the mood to talk so she just shrugged it off and randomly played with her phone. The inventor of the phone company should really be rewarded for saving people from awkward situations.

"Comedy," Yujin finally answered, which successfully made Minjoo looked up from her phone and turned her head to look at Yujin. She bursted into laughter.

"Why are you laughing?" Yujin asked.

"It's just unbelievable that you like comedies," Minjoo said, making Yujin frown.

"What's so unbelievable about it?" the tall girl asked in a serious tone. "I have a great sense of humor," she said, making Minjoo laughed again.

"See, I made you laugh again," the tall girl said, letting out a tiny smile.

Minjoo smiled back to Yujin. Now she was glad because she could feel that the awkwardness between them had lessened. The elevator bell ringed several seconds later and the two was ready to get in.

"Kim Minjoo?"

The two looked back and saw a familiar face they just saw a couple of hours a go in the village people museum. It's no other than Kang Hyungjoon, the senior.

"Sunbae-nim!" Minjoo exclaimed, absolutely was surprised to see Hyungjoon two times in just one day in a place far from home.

-

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Are you guys thinking this is the end of the chapter? No it's not!! Fufu I do have a dry sense of humor! This chapter is the longest I've ever written! Please do enjoy it!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter