We Need Her

The Restaurant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo woke up to the constant ringing from her phone lying just beside her pillow. She groaned and stretched her body as she wiped the drools in the corner of . For a couple of seconds, the pretty brunette forgot who she was as well as her where about but she shot her eyes open when she finally consumed the darkness in her room. Gosh, how long has she been sleeping?

Minjoo laid on her bed for a while before reaching for a jar of her chocolate cookies on the night stand. It has always been her habit for years to munch cookies as soon as she woke up from her slumber. It was all started when her mom passed away and she would be having nightmares almost every night. Mr. Kim then came out with the solution of placing a jar of cookies he had freshly baked in the night stand so whenever his daughter was awoken up in the middle of the night because of her nightmare, the cookies would calm her down, which effectively worked. The nightmares slowly faded away as the wound of losing her mom started to heal, but it kind of became her routine everytime she woke up from her sleep, so eventhough her dad had stopped putting cookies on her nightstand, Minjoo never forgets to refill her cookies whenever it ran out. But of course, for nearly 14 years, Mr. Kim had never stop baking cookies atleast three times a week.

The pretty brunette swallowed the last bite of her cookie before checking her phone to see who texted her. She opened the notification box on her phone and saw that it was Sakura asking updates about the new chef. Right. The new chef. She totally forgot about how her dad suddenly hire a new chef without her knowing. She even fell asleep guessing the reason why her dad would do such risky decision without discussing it with her first.

Minjoo scratched her head as she yawned. She was now sitting at the edge of her bed, collecting all her might to get out of it and head outside to have dinner. She looked at her phone again and saw that it was already 7 pm. Wow, she had been sleeping for five hours. She had officially become a pig.

The brunette walked over to her bedroom's door and the living room's light immediately hit her the minute the door opened which made her flinched a little. The light is on but she couldn't find her dad anywhere. The upstairs room basically consists of a living room with a small dining area and a mini storage room at the corner to store some cooking equipments. And of course Minjoo's and her dad's room as well as two spare bedrooms. Their main kitchen and the dining area are downstairs.

Minjoo decided to head downstairs to see if her dad was still working in the kitchen. She had to eat her dinner anyway. She stopped her pace when suddenly she heard the third bedroom door clicked. What was her dad doing in there?

"Oh, my minminne is awake," Mr. Kim appeared from the door greeting his still half-awake daughter.

"Hmm, what's for dinner, appa?"

"Come downstairs and you'll see," With that, Mr. Kim walked to the stairs, heading to the kitchen. Minjoo followed her dad as she yawned again.

The pretty brunette couldn't help but gasped upon seeing a complete feast in the dining table. "What is this?" She said as she sat down on the dining chair. "Are we celebrating something?"

"These are today's experiments, me and Yujin tried to make something new and fresh out of our old menu, be our judge and tell me what you think," Mr. Kim explained as he also took a seat in front of his daughter.

Minjoo nodded and started to grab a plate of a roasted tomato salad. "So Appa, tell me about this new chef, how come you didn't tell me anything about hiring her?" she started her interrogation calmly. There's no need to be all freaky when she didn't have any logical explanation yet of why such a genius chef like Ahn Yujin is their employee now.

Sensing that his daughter might be upset about his decision, Mr. Kim started to feel a little guilty. His Minjoo probably was feeling outcasted of not being included in the decision making. "I met Yujin just a month ago when I visit this pojangmacha near Han River, apparently she was working there as a cook,"

Minjoo frowned. She couldn't believe what she just heard. Pojangmacha? Why would a five-star chef like Ahn Yujin work in a small tented restaurant where it served alcohol and traditional korean street food?

"I went there with Sakura's dad and a couple of other ahjussi in our neighborhood for a drink and I was surprised that they served a fused aranchini, the cook made it out of frozen porridge instead of risotto, later I found out that the place was quiet popular because of it," Mr. Kim paused his explanation as he took a glance at his daughter. "I came back there three days later alone and started to get drunk and blabbered about the situation of our restaurant, Sakura's dad had to pick me up because I was so drunk that I couldn't even stand with my own two feet."

Minjoo nodded her head as she remembered how her dad was being carried home by Sakura's dad about a month ago. She was already deep in her slumber when that happened. Sakura's family has always been like a family to the father-daughter pair. And Sakura's dad was a former MMA athelete so with his big build, it was no big deal to carry her dad eventhought her dad himself was not a tiny guy either.

"I checked my jacket the morning after and found this piece of paper on my pocket and there was a phone number written on it, I thought I have caused trouble when I was drunk so I dialed it, turned out it was Yujin introducing herself as the cook of the aranchini pojangmacha place, saying she wanted to meet me, so we met at the restaurant and she asked me if she could work here, saying that she had worked in an italian restaurant before, and she wanted to come back after taking a short break," Mr. Kim continued. "So of course I said that we can't afford to hire an employee since we barely survived by our own, though I was very flattered, but she said it doesn't matter that she didn't get paid enough, but in one condition."

"What is it?"

"She'll gonna have to live with us,"

........

..........

.........

"And you agreed?!" Minjoo couldn't comprehend what she just heard. That rude Ahn Yujin will be living with them? In their house?

Mr. Kim nodded and gave her a very innocent smile. "Of course! Yujin showed me her CV and I said yes immediately! You wouldn't believe at how amazing it is," he said excitedly.

"Appa!" Minjoo started to lose her calm. Why didn't her dad say anything to her about the huge decision of letting a stranger staying in their house. "Why didn't you tell me about all this? I think I deserve to have a say, what if she's a bad person?" she said, she hadn't even take a bite of the salad in front of her since she was too furious.

"I'm sorry honey, I was too excited and overwhelmed so I completely forgot to tell you, I was also afraid that Yujin might change her mind if she waited too long, and hey, she'll be living with us, meaning that you are not gonna be lonely anymore,"

"Appa, did you not find it weird of how a high-spec chef like that would want to work with us?"

"Why would I? Yujin is a great kid, it'll feel like I have two daughters," Mr. Kim answered.

Minjoo let out a deep sigh, "But you said that last time too when that person who came here as an investor took our money away, plus, you just met her last month," she wasn't even surpised of hearing her dad's answer. It was just so typical that her dad would be very welcoming toward strangers. "Did you even interview her?" she asked.

"Of course I did!"

"What did you ask?"

"When can you move in?"

"Appa!" Minjoo couldn't hold it anymore as she groaned loudly. Her beautiful face was all red from anger building inside of her. "Did you not learn anything from the guys who conned you? You really have to be careful with strangers!"

"Minjoo-ah, please trust me, I know a good person when I see one. Beside, we really need someone like Yujin in our restaurant to get out of our never-ending crisis," Mr. Kim said, but upon realizing that Minjoo hadn't eaten anything yet, he reached for a nearby fork and handed it to her. "Now let's eat first, we certainly need good food to process right?"

The brunette sighed and reluctantly took the fork. Yes, maybe she could use some good food to process everything she just heard, beside, she was starving. She then took a bite of her roasted tomato salad and as soon as was filled with the big bite, Minjoo immediately felt like she was in heaven. How could a salad taste this good?

"And also, Yujin had moved her stuff to the fourth bedroom since it's bigger than the third one, she'll be back here around 9 and you two will be sharing the same bathroom so make sure to knock before you enter it," Mr. Kim said but he smiled as he realized that his daughter didn't even bother listening to him. It looked like she was having her own private time with the roasted tomato salad.

"It's really good right? Yujin made that one, I thought roasted tomato salad didn't really suit korean taste bud but she managed to make it taste so familiar as if we've been eating it for such a long time,"

The pretty brunette stared at the empty plate in front of her and took a glance at her dad. Yes, the food was really good. No, good is an understatement. It was so freaking delicious, but she was still bothered about the fact that Yujin was willing to leave her job in a five-star restaurant to work in a pojangmacha and even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter