Chapter 6

Office romance

As soon as Jimin got home, he told Taehyung everything. He hoped Tae would help him make sense out of it since he was an artist and had a very unique and usually accurate understanding of the human nature. Tae listened without interrupting until Jimin finished with the story.

"Why didn't you apologize to him?" asked Taehyung after Jimin was done.

"He never apologized for what he said about me, why should I?"

"But he did."

"Tae, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if he said it, I was there after all."

"But you didn't, dummy. He apologized to you by not firing you," said Tae like it was the most obvious thing.

"How is that an apology?!"


"Would you rather he fired you and then said sorry?"

"Well, no of course, but hearing him say sorry would have been nice," pouted Jimin.

It was unlike Taehyung to not be on his side.

"Just look at it from his perspective for a minute. His employee, clearly drunk, comes to annoy him as he is chilling outside, he says something tactless (which I agree was out of place and very rude, but moving on) and then you tell him that every single person who works for him hates his guts and that he'd die alone ("I never said that!" "Close enough"). If you were him what would you do?"

"I..."


"You'd fire that person on the spot, wouldn't you? Well, he didn't and it only means one thing: he knows it was his fault so he gives you a second chance. A verbal apology would be nice, but maybe he is bad at those things."

Jimin thinks it over before starting to pout again.
 

"Just this once you are against me and yet you still make sense. I hate this."

"Don't pout, Jiminnie," says Taehyung leaning to connect his forehead to Jimin's head, "I'm just helping you to understand the situation, that's all."

"Thanks, Tae, a lot."

"So what should I do next? Should I apologize?" asked JImin.

"Would you like being reminded of what happened if you were him?"

"Not really."

"I think so too. Just live like you used to? Also go get Yujin, it's nearly 8, she should sleep."

"I know Tae, she is my daughter," said Jimin smiling.

 

***

 

"Does he spend all his time here?"

"Mostly."

Jin's voice startled him for numerous reasons: 1) he wasn't aware he was speaking out loud, 2) he didn't notice Jin was in the same, 3) he just got caught starring at his boss through the secretary's blinds.

"Does he not have a family?" asked Jimin.

"No idea. All I know is that the man has no life outside work."

"Not even friends?"

"He has business partners, but friends? None I know of. I tried to become closer to him but he kept shutting me out so I just gave up."

Seokjin was uncharacteristically serious.

"Why are you suddenly interested in him?" asked Jin turning his sharp gaze on Jimin.

Honestly Jimin didn't know either. After not getting fired, he kind of was okay with Min Yoongi's existence? He didn't get unreasonable rushes of anger after seeing him, he could see some reason behind the boss's scoldings and comments. He received them from time to time (not all the time, he was a decent worker) but they never angered him too much. 

Thinking its easier to show than to say, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Jin raised his eyebrow.

"Huh"

"What "huh"?" 

That cryptic eyebrow was giving him the chills for some reason.

"It's just I noticed you don't glare at him like you used to before? Is there something I should know about?" asked Jin suggestively wiggling his eyebrows.

Jimin just snorted and lightly punched his arm.

"Oh my God, what are you thinking! It's not that!"

"Then what?"

Jimin thought for a second.

"Just something happened and I realized..."

"That he isn't the scary, heartless monster everyone claims he is?" finished Jin instead of him.

"Yeah, exactly!" agreed Jimin enthusiastically. 

He was happy to finally find someone who agreed with him.

"He is a , that's for sure, and he should work on his communication skills, but he isn't a bad person. He saved my brother, you know."

Jimin just shook his head. He had never heard it before. 

"Two years ago my little brother got in an accident; got run over by a car. He was supposed to have an important meeting the same day in Japan, and I had to accompany him. We were in the airport when I got the news. I started to cry and panic. He told me he didn't need me in the meeting sobbing and annoying him so he let me stay here. My brother needed a very expensive surgery and at that time none of us actually had health insurance and we were short of money. I started panic and was thinking of selling my car when I heard that an anonymous benefactor has covered the expenses. Guess who that was."

"Really?" Jimin was in awe.

"Yeah, I couldn't believe myself. In the airport he seemed like he couldn't care less and I was so pissed at him and wanted to resign as soon as my brother was okay, but then I found out through the doctor that a certain businessman had called them like 10 minutes after I was out of the airport. He told them that he'd pay whatever they needed also told them not to tell me, but the doctor thought I should know. Also I kind of looked through the doctor's papers when he wasn't looking."

"Wow."

Jimin was trying to process all of this.

"Wow indeed. He is a good guy. I just hope he'll soon learn how to show it."

Jin went to sit on his chair, giving Jimin space to think about it all.