Chapter 3

Office romance

Sadly saying something and doing something are completely different things. As soon as Jimin calmed down he realized that there was literally no way he could take a revenge on him. What could a single broke father who doesn't even have an apartment of his own do against one of the youngest and richest businessman of the country? Anything would end up with him in jail or on the street, and none of the options seemed appealing. The will to take revenge was still there but there wasn't much he could do with it. Maybe he just had to it up and move on.

A week passed after all this. Jimin tried to avoid the CEO at all costs and be extra careful with his reports. He wasn't sure he wouldn't snap if the CEO treated him like that one more time.

This time it wasn't him who got in trouble with the CEO.

One of the interns- Jooheon was carrying three cups of coffee on each of his hands for the CEO and their new business partners. As the boy was just about to hand the coffee to the CEO he slipped and poured the coffee on the contract the CEOs just signed. 

This was what Jooheon could say in between sobs and hiccups. The CEO had scolded him and told him that he was a waste of a interning position and told him to pack his things and go home in an instant. The boy begged him to let him stay since he really needed the money but the CEO wouldn't hear of it. He practically threw him out of the office. Jimin, Woojin and a few of their other colleges were trying to calm down the boy sobbing in the break room. He had never seen the cute bubbly boy cry or even frown but there he was sobbing his heart out in Jimin's arms as Woojin patted his head. Once again, Jimin felt the pure hatred towards the CEO rise in him. 

If only he could get away with doing something nasty to the CEO, maybe putting a laxative in his coffee or something, but that damn office had cameras everywhere and more importantly - the coffee was the intern's responsibility. He would never harm the poor kids no matter how much he wanted to see Min Yoongi his pants.

Instead he opted to closely watch the CEO, maybe he would find something that he could use for revenge.

 

On the first day of his observations he noticed that when he came to work, the boss was already there. The next day he tried to come 5 minutes earlier, the CEO was still there. After checking with the security he confirmed his suspicion: he came to work the earliest. He also noticed that he left the office the last. Jimin was well known for being a hard worker who stayed up later than the most (which did make him feel guilty towards his daughter, but he always made up for it as soon as he got home, no matter how tired he was). So it surprised he that the boss stayed later that he did. For some reason he had never noticed it before. One day he stayed behind two more hours but the CEO was still inside. So it meant that he came the earliest and left the last. So no one to wait for him at home. For a millisecond Jimin felt bad for the guy, but the next second Jooheon 's swollen, red eyes appeared in front of him and he decided that the CEO deserved it.  He also noticed that he never left work for lunch, always having it in his office. After a brief at-first-glance innocent conversation with Seokjin, he found out that the only events the CEO attended were meetings and business lunches. So the boss was in fact alone most of the time, which left Jimin with only one question: was he one of the people who actually enjoyed being alone or he was just lonely that’s why he was so unbearable. Unfortunately this wasn’t something Jimin could find out from long-distance observations. He had to go into the lion’s liar.

The idea was simple. He’d stay back after work and try to chat up his boss. Sadly, the plan only sounded easy.

Jimin was fidgeting on his spot trying to come up with a reason to disturb the CEO who was in his office. Maybe he should ask for an advice about his new report? No, definitely not, the CEO would just get angry at him for not knowing his job. Maybe he should tell him he left something in his office and wanted to check? Yeah, right, the only thing he left there was his dignity two weeks ago, he hadn’t been there since. The longer Jimin was thinking about it, the more he was panicking so he just stood up and marched towards the CEO’s office, hoping he would come up with something on the spot. He knocked on the door and upon hearing the authoritative “come in” entered the room.

The CEO seemed to be working or at least the papers in front of him suggested so.

“Hello, Mr. Min,” said Jimin bowing.

The CEO seemed to be surprised seeing Jimin, clearly not expecting him to be there.

“Why are you still here?” asked the CEO ignoring the greeting.

Prick.

“I had something to finish so I stayed back,” easily lied Jimin.

“I meant what are you doing here, in my office?” asked the CEO raising his eyebrow.

“Well, I saw the light and I thought maybe you left it on, so I came to turn it off,” the lie was lame but convincing enough.

“It’s not a part of your job,” the CEO informed him.

“I like to help.”

The CEO didn’t grace it with a reply, simply lowered his head on his papers and continued to move them around. Upon noticing that Jimin wasn’t leaving, he raised his head to look at him again.

“Anything else?”

“Sorry if I sound very impolite, but why are you still here in the office?” Jimin didn’t now where the bravery came from but he was glad it was there.

The CEO looked taken aback for a second before collecting himself.

“First of all, it’s my company so I can do whatever I want, secondly I’ve got some work to do.”

Honestly, Jimin was kinda surprised the CEO replied to him instead of chopping his head off or telling him to off. The CEO once again lowered his head and starting to turn the pages and look through things. Jimin didn’t know if it was tiredness or the pure interest that forced him to say the next sentence.

“Looks like you are just pretending to be working.”

Jimin gaped at what he said and covered his mouth but the damage was done. ABORT MISSION, I REPEAT, ABORT MISSION.

The CEO froze for a second before slowly raising his head to look at Jimin.

“What I do in my spare time is none of your business, Mr Park. Even if I wasn’t working, which I am, it’s still none of your concern why I’m not at home.”

The CEO’s voice sounded very strained. Interesting.

“So no one to go back home to?”

At this point Jimin was playing with his life. The CEO could just throw him out of the window and he wouldn’t be surprised. The CEO, instead, looked shocked. His eyes widened and for a second there was an emotion in there that he had never seen on his face before. The emotion was gone form his eyes as soon as it appeared and was replaced with a piercing glare.

“I’d advise you to keep your nose out of my business Park, if you care for this job.”

The sentence would have scared Jimin if there wasn’t the tiny thing he noticed: the CEO’s hands were trembling. Huh. So the lone sad wolf then.Jimin wasn't sure what to do with this revelation.