Chapter 1

Office romance

Jimin was sure he’d succeed; why wouldn’t he? He was responsible, always met his deadlines, almost never skipped work and was known as a hard-working employee. Everyone in the office knew that. There was no reason to decline him the position of the main accountant. No one would decline an employee like him.

 

Or so he thought.

 

“Come again?” said CEO Min with his signature emotionless face.

“I-I…” stuttered Jimin, before clearing his throat and making sure his voice sounded firm and self-confident, “I want to apply for the vacancy of the main accountant. I believe I have the necessary skills and characteristics for a position like that。”

Jimin mentally patted himself on the back for saying it exactly the way he practiced at home in front of the mirror.

CEO’s eyes bulged just a tiny bit before his face stretched into a very stern-looking smile. He suddenly chuckled and Jimin knew right there and then that whatever he was going to say next, would get Jimin start another rant on the topic “100 reasons why my boss is a reptile in humanoid form”.

“Do you seriously think you are qualified for that position?” asked CEO Min coldly.

“I work hard and I do my job well,” said Jimin trying to ignore the CEO’s remark.

“Are you joking with me right now, Mr. Park?” asked the CEO glaring straight at Jimin, “ You had 3 typos in your last report, the one before that had a calculation error that would cost us money, I’m not even mentioning the one that looked like you had a whole feast on it (“It was just a barely visible coffee stain,” bitterly thought to himself Jimin). And you have the nerve to ask for a promotion? Even a toddler wouldn’t make such mistakes.”

Jimin swallowed loudly. He worked in this company for three years now, he should have been used to his boss and he honestly expected it to be a challenge, but the CEO was being way too rude. Even for himself.

“CEO Min, those are just tiny mistakes which in no way reflect the work I’ve done so far.”

He started this, might as well finish it.

“Tiny mistakes?” asked the CEO tilting his head to a side, “Did you mishear the part when I said that those “tiny mistakes” would have cost the company money, and not only that, but would tarnish our reputation as one of the best counting companies in the country. Our clients pay a lot, and expect a high-quality result, not some 5 grader-in-humanities studies  type of reports.”

Deep down Jimin knew he was right, but the way the CEO talked with him and the tone he used were making Jimin angrier with every passing second.

“I understand that, but if you give me a chance I can do better.”

It was visible from the way the CEO’s brows furrowed that he was getting worked up and anyone with even a slight amount of survival instinct would apologize and run away as far as they could, but Jimin was always known for being a “go big or go home” kinda guy.

“Mr. Park,” started the CEO with barely hid anger in his voice, “ I give chances to people who actually deserve them. I’d have gladly given you this position if your working ethics and the work itself were anything above average, but alas my hands are tied. Next time please think long and hard before wasting both of our times.”

With this, he lowered his head and started to look through the papers which were in front of him, clearly showing to Jimin that the conversation was over.

It took all of the Jimin’s willpower not to smash his stupid head against the table.

As he passed through the CEO’s secretary’s room, he was greeted with a Seokjin who was staring at his face through the mirror.

“So how did it go?” he asked without looking up.

Jimin just sighed as he leaned against the door he just came trough.

“Thought so,” added Seokjin still not looking at Jimin.

“Remind me again how long is the sentence for a homicide.” asked Jimin.

“Up to 20 years. It’s not worth it, you are too pretty for a jail. Well, not as pretty as me, but you get the idea.”

“That’s not too convincing,” said Jimin not even trying to hide his pout.

“Aw, did the big scary Min scold you again?” asked Seokjin clearly amused.

Jimin sighed dramatically.

“He is a .”

Seokjin snorted at that.  

“He isn’t that bad. Whatever it was, it was probably your fault,” he added casually.

Jimin gasped loudly.

“How can you say that? Aren’t we friends?”

He didn’t expect such betrayal from Seokjin.

“Oh come on, Jiminie, of course we are besties, but you know that if one thing is certain about our boss is that he is fair. Sure, he should work on the way he gives constructive criticism, but other than that he is a good boss.”

Technically, he payed well, they had payed vacation for 2 weeks, and fully-covered health insurance but it didn’t change the fact that he was indeed a huge . And not in the good way.

"You are biased because he treats you better than the rest."

"That's because I do my job well."

“Oh, is that a pimple I see?”

“Where?!” practically shouted Seokjin as he started to inspect his face for the imperfection.

Jimin tried to hide his smile. Call him petty, but he was too pissed at his boss to hear a lecture form the said boss’s secretary. As he was closing the secretary’s door he heard a loud and clear “Park Jimin, you are an ” and chuckled to himself as he got back to his work.

 

 

 

***

 

 The evening of the same day was less eventful. He came home to find his 4-year-old baby Yujin playing with Taehyung's puppy. He was lucky to have Taehyung in his life. After his wife left him and their daughter with zero explanations, he was crashed and didn't know what to do with himself. If it weren't for Tae's constant support, he wouldn't manage to support neither for himself, nor for his daughter. Now they all lived together and had a routine they got used to. Jimin would make breakfast for all of them, take his daughter to preschool and go to work and Tae, who usually woke up much later after spending the night skyping his boyfriend who was studying abroad for the semester, would take Yeontan out for walk, paint all day and then around 3pm bring back Yujin from the preschool. Their life together was balanced and steady but in a month Taehyung's boyfriend would come back and no matter how much Taehyung insisted that they could stay as long as they would like, Jimin didn't feel like bothering the couple and decided to move out as soon as Jeonguk was back. The only problem was that Jimin's salary wasn't enough for the two of them which forced him to gather his courage and ask his boss for a raise. With a better salary he would manage to get a babysitter for his daughter and maybe even start to save up for her collage, but...

 

Taehyung came to sit beside Jimin hugging the plate with leftover pizza close to his heart. As he started to chew on it, Jimin told him the tail of “the human manifestation of a toothache”. Yujin was sound asleep in her room unaware about her daddy's usage of the "no-no words". 

“Why is he such an for?” asked Jimin after finishing his story.

"Beats me. If he didn't think you were qualified enough, he could have just said it, no need to be a di-duck about it," agreed Taehyung.

"Yujin is asleep, you can just say , it's fine," casually said Jimin sipping his bear.

"And say I will! How dare he to speak to you like that? You spent there days and nights. Even at home all you ever do is go through your calculations. How can he say that you are incompetent when you are literally the most hard-working person I know."

Taehyung was getting progressively angry and Jimin once again felt the rush of affection for his best friend.

"Thank you, Tae Tae," said Jimin clinging to his friend's arm and resting his head on his shoulder.

"If I was there, he would have heard from me."

"Not everyone is their own boss like you. I have to silently listen to whatever bull he says to me so I won't end up on the streets begging food for me and Yujinie."

“I would never let that happen," added Taehyung seriously.

Jimin just hugged him closer.

"I know you wouldn't but still. I'm a dad now. I have to be able to go through stuff on my own. Just because I can always rely on you doesn't mean I should."

 

Jimin sighed again closing his eyes. He really needed the promotion but apparently the universe liked to see him struggle. 

"You know, I keep thinking why is your boss like that. From all the stories I've heard about him he is like that with everyone, right? So it's not a Jiminnie problem, it's a he problem. Maybe he doesn't have enough love in his life."

"I highly doubt that he is capable of this particular emotion."

"No but here me out, Jiminnie. You always told me that he is distant and cold. He isn't close to anyone in the office and no one likes him, right? So maybe that's the reason?"

Jimin silently pondered for a while. Sure, after working there for so long he noticed that his boss was a loner, but the thing is it seemed like he was content with it. He seemed like the type that doesn't need anyone else in his life.

"Tae, I don't think he is the type. He seems fine on his own."

"Seeming fine and being fine are completely different things, out of all people you should know better."

Of course Park "I'm completely ok with my wife running away with someone else leaving me with a kid and a far too expensive apartment I can no longer afford, don't worry" Jimin knew exactly what he meant.

"I still doubt it."

"Just pay attention and you'll see I'm right."

"Your strong belief that there are no completely bad people is very sweet but dangerous nonetheless."

"Well, I have you and Kookie to protect me, don't I?" asked Tae sweetly.

"Of course."