Chapter 8

Dystopia

Everyone came to the main room where Yongguk and Sae were sitting on the couch. Yongguk was flipping through his phone as Sae rested her head on his shoulder. The group went around, introducing themselves one by one.

“I'm Sae, my Skill is Sight even though I can only see roughly a foot or two away from my face.” She said as she introduced herself with a small smile. She turned and looked at Yongguk, bringing her face super close to the side of his. Her grin grew a bit more. “I've missed your face, by the way.”

He tried not to smile, but failed, the corners of his lips turning up ever so slightly. “Sae, you're trying to give them the wrong impression. On purpose.” He shot her an admonishing look and she just grinned mischievously. He looked around at the group, who were watching the two on the couch, with raised eyebrows. “We met at the university here a few years ago. She's been clinging to me ever since.”

“Ohhh no, no, you like it. Otherwise you would shake me off like you used to.”

“No, I gave up on shaking you off because you were so damn persistent-” Yongguk and Sae bickered back and forth, in their own little world until Himchan cleared his throat.

Sae decided to change the topic. “So, anyway. Looks like you have a member with a new skill.” She commented, smiling a little. You felt Jongup stiffen beside you. “Have you figured it all out yet? Why it's only now showing up?” Her smile grew and so did Yongguk’s, even though he tried not to let it. He pressed his lips together, knowing that if he looked at the two of you right now he would laugh.

Both yours and Jongup’s eyebrows furrowed and he shook his head. “No, do you?”

Sae nodded. “Before the bomb, I studied Skills at the university. I can tell you about it, if you’d like.”

She was putting up the offer. She already knew what you would both say, but she wanted to verbally give you the option anyway. You looked at Jongup and you both shrugged simultaneously. “Sure, why not?” He asked.

“Wait, Jongup has a skill?? What is it?” Daehyun interjected. “I can't believe you didn't tell me, your favorite friend, that you had one!”

Jongup raised an eyebrow at him and shrugged. “It slipped my mind. But it's Thought. There, now you know.”

“Thought is a minor skill because it's quite rare.” Youngjae commented, folding his arms over his chest and frowning a bit in thought.

Sae nodded. “Do you know why it's rare?” Everyone except for Yongguk shook their heads no. “It only works with your soulmate.”

The room was silent. Your heart was suddenly thundering in your chest. Soulmates? She had to be making this up. Yongguk watched the two of you closely, ready to make his friend stop if you got too overwhelmed.

“No, I'm not making it up.” She responded to Zelo before he even said anything. “It started only after you met, right? That's why it's rare. People don't just go out and meet their soulmates on the street. It takes the right conditions for you to find each other. The closer you two become, the stronger it will get. Eventually, you won't have to touch in order to be able to hear each other.”

You just blinked at her. Next to you, Jongup seemed unfazed, but he hadn't reached for your hand yet, which meant he had to be thinking something. Your mind was going a hundred miles a minute. You weren't sure you wanted that level of closeness with anyone. Sometimes even you didn't want to hear your thoughts.

“But you can still keep the other person out, if you want. You won't be in each other’s heads 24/7.” Sae reassured you. “At least, that’s what the textbook said.”

This was too much at once. Especially since you were still tired from the search and rescue mission. “I think-”

“Oh, no, no, you stay here. We'll go. Come on, everybody out.” Sae said, standing and pulling Yongguk to his feet. She ushered everyone except you and Jongup out of the room before you could even say a word.

And suddenly the two of you were alone. The atmosphere was awkwardly tense as you both tried to think of what to say.

“So-” You both started saying the same thing at the same time. You looked at each other and tentatively continued. “This is weird.” Suddenly you both smiled and laughed, the tension evaporating quickly.

 

You were the one to stop laughing first and you shook your head. “Well if it’s anyone, I’m glad it’s you.” You blushed lightly and looked at your feet.

 

He nodded along in agreement. “Same here.” He reached out and touched your hand lightly. His next thoughts were rather rushed. “Please know that I do love you, I just can't say it out loud yet.” With that he jumped up and ran from the room.

 

“Hey!! Wait, what?! You can't just-- Get back here!” You ran after him, ready to tackle him to the ground if you had to.

★☆★☆★☆

Ooooh, the cuteness levels are on the rise~ lol