Chapter 3

Dystopia

Yongguk smiled while he watched the kids interact. Until he saw the looks Jongup was giving the new kid. It was intense, but his body language was relaxed. The new kid didn’t seem bothered by it, so Yongguk shrugged and made his next announcement. “Alright, guys listen up.” Almost immediately the room became silent as everyone looked at their leader. “We have a raid coming up in a few days, so make sure you prepare yourselves, okay?” He looked at you. “Tonight I want you and one of the guys to go out and get whatever you need from your place. You won’t be going back there again.”

“I’ll go.” Jongup volunteered. You looked at him and smiled before looking back at Yongguk and nodding in agreement.

“Okay, do that. I’ll see you guys later.” He waved and left, leaving the others to continue to bombard you with questions.

“Stop, stop, you guys..” You grinned. “We can talk later. It’s almost dusk, so I’m just going to go get my stuff now.”

“But Yongguk said to go at night.” Zelo blinked at you, looking cute without even trying.

You stood up and stretched. You hadn’t noticed how fast the day had gone by. “He said to go tonight. And it’s basically night at dusk, right?” They looked at you dubiously, concerned about your safety and Jongup’s. “We’ll be fine~” You reassured them that you were good at sneaking around and that everything would be okay.

“Just be careful… And make sure you come back tonight. I don’t want to have to go out and find you guys.” Himchan warned with his arms crossed over his chest.

“Yes sir!” You gave a sarcastic salute before grinning and looking at Jongup. “Let’s get going.”

“Fine by me.” He stood up and followed you, grabbing his guns on the way out.

You had Jongup lead you to a familiar store and from there, you took the lead. You pulled up your hood and suggested that he do the same. Using the shadows of the buildings, the two of you quickly made your way toward the city gates.

Just as you got to the gates, an alarm sounded behind you. Spinning around, you saw two patrol cams looking right at you, their alarms going off loudly. Jongup quickly pulled out his gun and shot each one, right through the lens. It was silent again and you looked at Jongup in thanks. He shrugged and gave you a little smile, apparently unbothered by almost getting arrested.

Sirens began to approach again and this time you knew that actual people were on the way to come find you. “Come on, we gotta run!” You grabbed Jongup’s hand and pulled him along.

“I bet I’m faster than them.”

“You are not!”

You looked at each other in surprise. His eyes were a dark green instead of brown. You shook your head. “We can figure it out later.” You thought, trying to test this new phenomenon out. He heard you and nodded, beginning to actually run and pull ahead of you.

Eventually, you stopped running. The sirens were no longer following you, so the danger was over. During the run you had let go of Jongup’s hand. Since then you felt a very faint tingling in your hand. Now you walked side by side in silence.

“Ah, we’re here.” You said, stepping off the road and going into an old deserted camp.

“Really?” Jongup looked around in curiosity as he followed you.

“Yeah, I lived here since I… left the city.” You said, going over to your house.

Jongup stopped outside and stared for a moment. Your “house” was a lean-to made out of a couple of plywood boards nailed together. It was not a place to live. He stood outside the door and looked in as you gathered your few things. All you had for decoration was a broken cabinet and a sleeping bag.

You sighed, not wanting pity from him. But you didn’t say anything and just pulled your other pair of clothes out of the cabinet. In a small bowl you had some rings and a thin chain necklace. You grabbed those as well and made your way out of the house. Once you had put everything in your bag, you stood up and slung it over your shoulder. You looked over at Jongup and saw that he was actually looking out at the rest of the town. The fading sun highlighted his hair and cheekbones. As he looked back at you, he gave you a small smile while you just stared at his face. He was beautiful.

“What?” He tilted his head to the side.

“Huh? Oh, uh, nothing. I got all my stuff.” You said, finally tearing your eyes away from him. “I just want to do one more thing, then we can go.” He nodded and followed you around the corner to your brick wall. You hopped up and sat there looking out at the city.

As you stared wistfully for a few minutes, Jongup looked at you, trying to decide what to do. Finally he just reached out and grabbed your right hand in his.

“-see this for the last time. Its kinda sad… Hey!”

“It doesn’t have to be the last time. We can always sneak out.”

You looked down at him, trying to figure out if he was serious. He smiled as his eyes glimmered the same dark green from before. Then he looked at your hand in his. It fit perfectly.

“You have really nice hands.”

“Thank you..?” You smiled a little and shook your head. The longer you held his hand, the more your skin tingled. It eventually was starting to slowly travel up your arm. “Do you feel that?”

He nodded, frowning a little as he looked up into your eyes. “Should I let go?”

You pressed your lips together. “Well no, I kind of like it.. No wait, damnit, what am I saying? Thinking? What even is this??”

Jongup laughed and squeezed your hand. “I like it, too. But we need to get back.” He helped you down off of the wall and let go of your hand. The tingling had made it all the way to your elbow. Everything else felt cold. It felt like that half of your arm was the only part of you that was actually alive.

You shivered and looked over at him as you began walking back to the city. “Well this is weird.”

He walked next to you and nodded. “I like it, though. I never imagined I would actually have a Skill.” He said, smiling brightly.

“Wait, this is a Skill? Which one?”

“I’m guessing it’s Thought.” He replied with a shrug. “Thought was one of the minor Skills, right? The kind that people didn’t really pay attention to since they were so rare.”

“Okay, but how come I can do it, too?” You looked at him, hoping for answers.

He shrugged again, his chill, relaxed countenance actually irking you a little. “I don’t know. I have just as much information as you at this point.” He smiled and you sighed in defeat, making him chuckle a little. “Don’t worry, we’ll figure it out together!” You groaned and pushed him sideways with your shoulder, glad you were wearing a long sleeve jacket.

★☆★☆★☆