Chapter 4

Dystopia

As you approached the front gate of the city, you and Jongup began to go slower, taking care not to draw attention to yourselves. You peeked around a building and cursed silently. There was a blockade set up at the entrance. The two of you backed up slowly, looking at each other as you tried to decide what to do.

 

Rather than make noise by talking, Jongup grabbed your hand. “We could hop the wall a little way down.”

 

You nodded. “That's probably the best option.”

 

The two of you began to sneak around the crumbling buildings just outside the wall. The barrier around the city was only about ten feet high and was even broken in some places, making it easier to get over. After walking for about five minutes, Jongup led you to one such area. A large top portion of the wall had been knocked away, probably by some artillery from the war. He started climbing first, using the fallen blocks of wall for footholds.

 

Once he made it to the top, he looked around. “It’s clear.” He whispered. You nodded and began climbing up, joining him at the top.

 

“Alright, let’s keep moving.” You suggested only to be stopped as Jongup held your arm.

 

“Wait.” You looked at him as he looked up at the night sky. The full moon was bright, but the stars still shone clearly. Suddenly a star shot across the sky, followed by another and another. The two of you sat on top of the wall as the meteor shower began.

 

"Whoa…”

 

He took his eyes away from the sky and smiled at you. His grin was contagious and you smiled back at him. He scooted closer and playfully kicked your foot with his. Your smile widened and you lightly kicked him back.

 

Lights started flashing suddenly as a patrol camera spotted you from far away. You both froze for a moment before hopping down from the wall and sprinting away. You weren’t sure exactly where you were going. But anywhere away from the police was good with you. You turned down a side street and skidded to a halt as three cops looked up and spotted you.

 

“Hey, stop right there!” One of them yelled as you did the exact opposite and began running again. You ran as fast as you could, directly behind Jongup as he dodged through alleyways and abandoned buildings. You could hear the police hot on your trail, making you move your feet that much faster.

 

Suddenly Jongup took several sharp turns before grabbing you by your jacket sleeve. He spun you around until your back thudded against the wall of a building and he was standing in front of you. He didn't let go and just held onto you with one hand while he rested his other forearm against the wall behind you. He was suddenly so close. Too close. Both of you were breathing hard, staring at each other as you listened carefully.

 

When you heard the approaching police’s voices, your eyes widened and you automatically reached out and held Jongup at his waist. You needed something solid to hold onto as your heart thundered in your chest. Jongup was shielding you from view, but he was completely unprotected with his back to the entrance.

 

Eventually the voices faded and you both sighed in relief and laughed a little. Then you looked into his eyes and got lost. It was like the stars from before were in his eyes. He stared right back at you, just inches away from your face. There was some kind of strong feeling brewing behind his gaze that you didn't understand. It drew you in; you never wanted to look away.

 

Jongup’s gaze flickered down to your lips then back up to your eyes. It felt like he was asking for permission. You squeezed him lightly and held your breath for a moment. Jongup came closer, you could feel his breath against your cheek, his nose almost directly next to yours. Slowly, he leaned in and you felt attracted to him like a magnet.

 

Suddenly a robotic whirring noise was approaching rapidly and you both froze. Looking over Jongup’s shoulder, your heart nearly stopped when a patrol robot came flying around the corner. You didn't have time to think. You grabbed the gun at Jongup’s hip cocked it and fired from under his arm. You used two bullets, but you successfully destroyed the drone. Then there was silence.

 

You sighed and leaned back against the wall, letting your head hit it as well. Your heart was thumping ridiculously fast in your chest. Jongup pulled away and looked behind him at the now-useless robot on the ground. Then he looked back at you, an excited smile on his face. “Nice shot.”

 

You grinned and handed him back the gun. “Thanks.” You took a deep breath and pushed away from the wall, walking away without giving the robot another glance. “Let's just get back to the hideout before something else finds us.”

 

Jongup caught up with you and held your hand. “Good plan.”

 

You blinked and then shook your head at him. “You're a dork.” You tried not to think about how your heart was still going way too fast, but you had a feeling that he already knew anyway.

***

 

It had been several days since the night you went back to your house. Each day, you were learning new things about each of the boys in the hideout. You also became closer to Jongup. Whenever he had the chance, he would hold your hand or find some excuse to touch you.

 

One day, you were at the table talking to Yongguk about the different things you had done to get to the top of the Most Wanted list. Jongup came in and sat next to you, taking your hand in his. Like that night when you held hands on the brick wall near your house, your arm tingled. The feeling was slowly continuing up your arm, making you feel warm. It only seemed to happen when you were in contact for long periods of time.

 

You just glanced at Jongup before continuing with what you were saying. “So anyway, I did that and then I ended up having to kill, like five, of her guards. To top it off, I stole back the rings she had taken from me. So mass murder and theft. That’s how you get to the top.” You said, leaving out a major part of your background with Tera.

 

Yongguk nodded thoughtfully. He could tell you were hiding something, but that you didn’t want to reveal it. He decided to trust that it wasn’t anything dire and that you would tell him if you needed to. “I thought you didn’t have a Skill.” Yongguk suddenly said, turning the conversation to Jongup.

 

Jongup blinked and looked at Yongguk with dark green eyes. “I guess I found one.”

 

“What is it?” Yongguk glanced at your intertwined hands.

 

“I don’t know.” Jongup replied with a nonchalant shrug.

 

Yongguk’s eyes suddenly turned dark red and he raised an eyebrow. “You don’t know?”

 

“Damn.” Jongup stiffened for a moment. “I think that it’s Thought. But that’s all, I really have no idea what’s going on.” He told the truth, encouraged by Yongguk’s Skill.

 

“And you can do it, too?” He looked at you next and your eyes widened.

 

“You don’t have to tell him anything.”

 

“You don’t have to use that on me.” You said to Yongguk, feeling a little offended. Why would he think that you would lie? “I guess I can do it, but it’s only with Jongup.”

 

Yongguk nodded and his eyes faded back to his usual wise brown. “Sorry. In my business, I can’t afford lies. I need to know the Truth in order to keep my friends safe.” You nodded in understanding and let him continue. “Thought is a minor Skill. I know about it, but I think it’s something you will have to figure out for yourselves.” He suddenly grinned mischievously before standing up and leaving the room.

 

The tingling had reached your shoulder by now and you turned to Jongup. “Why didn’t you want to tell him?”

 

He shrugged, looking down and playing with your hand. “I honestly don’t know-”

 

“Hey, guys, have you had dinner yet?” Daehyun walked in and Jongup pulled his hand away. “I’m thinking pizza, but I’m also really feeling like kimchi. I can’t decide.” He whined and sat at the table across from you.

 

You grinned at him. Daehyun had become a good friend. He was chatty, but not too much, just enough to keep things interesting. “I’ve already eaten. I had a big steak with potatoes and salad and it was so delicious, I can still remember the taste-”

 

“Stop teasinnnggg” He pouted at you and you laughed at his misery. “Jonguppie, what did you have?”

 

“Ramen. But it was the best ramen I had ever made in my life-” Jongup was interrupted by Daehyun groaning.

 

“You two are so mean to me.” He pulled himself up and went to the kitchen to find something to eat. You and Jongup grinned at each other, enjoying the elder boy’s cries for food.

★☆★☆★☆