Chapter 10

Dystopia

Nights spent together with Jongup soon became a regular thing. Some nights he would just wander over to your room or you would go to his whenever you couldn't sleep. He wasn't fazed in the slightest about the two of you being soul mates. “It feels right. Why fight it?” He had just shrugged. He felt content as he watched you lie back, your head on his arm.

“I feel like I've known you for longer than just a few weeks.” You had played with his hand, inspecting it despite the darkness of the night.

“Me, too…” He had smiled and pressed his lips to the side of your head before playfully smothering you with a full-body hug.

That was one of your last normal nights.

***

 

Most of the group was in the living room doing something; playing on their phones, reading, talking, or in your and Jongup's case, sharpening some knives. Sae had gone to take a nap and you were starting to think that that was a good idea.

Youngjae walked in with the first aid kit and showed it to Yongguk. “We're almost out of everything. We're going to have to go shopping soon.

Yongguk gave the box a glance before putting down his book and standing up. “Are we really that low on supplies?” Youngjae nodded, making the leader sigh in frustration. “Going out right now would be really dangerous.”

“We don't all have to go.” Himchan walked over to the other two to investigate what was going on. “Let's just send out a small squad of four people or something. I'll lead it.”

At this point everyone else was paying attention to the conversation. “Daehyun and I will go.” Youngjae offered.

“Hey! You can't just volunteer me for-”

“Okay, and one other.” Himchan interrupted the loud man on the floor. “Jongup, would you mind? I would feel more at ease if we had your expertise as well.”

Your eyes widened and you looked at Jongup quickly. Your heart beat faster. Imperial patrols had been increasing lately. It was more dangerous now than ever before. But he just nonchalantly shrugged and agreed like it was nothing.

“Alright, it's decided. It's almost night now, so you should go as soon as possible. I'll call our supplier and let him know what we need.” Yongguk walked away, pulling his phone out along the way.

“It'll be fine.” Jongup smiled at you and gathered what the two of you had been sharpening. He went to his room and you followed directly after him, closing the door behind you. He began to get ready, pulling his shirt over his head without a care in the world. But you could see the scars on his back. The newer ones stood out against his tan skin. You shook your head. You had never been this concerned about a person in your life. He finished changing his shirt and put on his bulletproof vest.

“I should go, too.” You said, your hands in fists. This was a dangerous mission and you had plenty of experience to add, too.

“We don't need so many people.”

“You don't need my Skill?”

“No, this is a supplier we've worked with for months. He just leaves the stuff in a building and we go get it. There's nothing to sneak into.”

“Okay, but patrols have been increasing lately.” Your heart was going way too fast. It felt so weird to be arguing with him. Every fiber of your being was telling you to stop. Usually you would be fine. Damn soul mates thing…

“We're just going to be extra careful because of them.”

“But what if something happens?” The worry in your voice made him sigh and finally pause.

He turned toward you and opened his arms. “Come here.” Pouting, you walked over, wrapping your arms around his waist as his went over your shoulders. With his gear on, there was no skin touching and it felt unnatural.

You moved your head to touch his, the contact instantly calming you down. You felt your heart rate drop drastically and air moved more freely into your lungs. “I understand why the mission is necessary but.. This is dangerous…”

He nodded, resting his head against yours comfortably. “We'll be back in 3 hours, tops.” He pulled away slightly to kiss your cheek. “It'll be okay.” He paused, his face already so close to yours. He moved back from your cheek and pressed his lips to yours.

A spark ignited between you. Your body became warm, the heat more intense than usual when he kissed your cheek. You gripped the back of his shirt as you felt heat radiate off of him, as well. You kissed him back as he brought one hand up to caress your cheek. His other arm held you tightly, his frame shaking slightly. Suddenly you felt two heartbeats, two pairs of lungs as your bodies became Synced with each other.

Too soon, he pulled away. The cold air hit you and you shivered, instinctively moving in to reconnect with him. But you caught yourself and stopped, trying to catch your breath. You slowly looked at Jongup's face. His eyes were wide with surprise as the green tint faded from his irises. “I think I can finally say it now…” His voice was deep but quiet. “I.. I lov-”

“Jongup! Are you ready yet?” Daehyun's loud voice echoed down the hallway.

“I'm coming one second!” He called back, slowly letting go of you. You got colder, shivering intensely. As his skin left yours, his thoughts didn't. There was a pressure in your head, but it wasn't uncomfortable. “I'm going to freaking kill him.” He walked over to his guns, quickly sliding them into their holsters

“Wait, finish what you were saying.” The two of you were suddenly talking without touching each other.

Jongup turned and looked at you, his eyebrows raised. “Well this is new.”

“Jongup!” This time Himchan was calling and the younger boy groaned.

He came over to you and kissed your forehead. “I'll tell you when I get back.” Then he turned and opened the door, leaving his room and you behind.

***

They had only left an hour ago, but you were still glancing at the door every few minutes. You had on a jacket and held your blanket around you, but you were still cold. You had lost the pressure on your mind the farther away he went and that did nothing to help your anxiety.

“They'll be okay. We've done this mission like 15 times.” Junhong assured you. You looked at him and just nodded quietly. You continued walking around, sometimes pacing, sometimes staying still in one place for a while.

Sae did her best to get to the main room quickly. “They didn't leave yet, did they?!” The tone of her voice made you freeze in place.

Yongguk went to her immediately and took her hand, guiding her into the room safely. “They left over an hour ago.” He informed her. She stopped.

“I can't believe.. No, they'll be fine.. I had a vision that it was an ambush.” Even the air in the room seemed to stop at her words. They all knew her accuracy level.

“We could go check on them and make sure they're safe- AH!” Suddenly there was pain in your back like you had been hit with something. You looked around in confusion. “Something’s happening.” A second blunt force pain slammed through you, knocking the wind out of you for a second.

“Wait, what?” Junhong was by your side in seconds. He held you by the shoulders. “How do you know?”

You let out a muffled scream as searing pain ripped through you at your collarbone, making you drop to knees. You held your hand over your right clavicle. Even though it was fine, you knew that someone else's was broken.

★☆★☆★☆

A/N: Ooh, the plot thickens lol If you guys have any questions on how the Skills work or the story in general, please let me know ^^