Chapter 5

Dystopia

You stood around a circular table with the boys as you all waited for Yongguk. He walked in and set a stack of papers in the middle of the table. On top was a map of a certain division of the city.

“Alright, so this isn't going to just be like our usual raids.” He said, looking around at the people standing with him. “Today we're going to recover a person who’s been kidnapped. She's a good friend of mine and we can’t let her fall into the wrong hands.”

“How do you know that she was kidnapped by these guys specifically?” Youngjae asked, tilting his head to the side.

“Okay, so Sae had called me several days ago and said that they had been harassing her.” Yongguk explained, showing calm on the surface. He was raging inside. “Now she hasn't been returning my calls, which is very unlike her.”

You nodded, understanding the dangers people faced every day in the crumbling city. These were dark times and no one was actually safe. “So what's your plan?” You asked, leaning forward against the table.

Yongguk took out a pen and circled an old school. “Their hideout is here. Knowing these guys, they'll probably have her hidden away somewhere.” Yongguk looked at Youngjae, “I need you to Seek her out,” he then looked at you, “and I need you to Slip her out and get her to safety.” You and Youngjae looked at each other and nodded in understanding. “The rest of us will attack from the front to distract them.”

“We’ve gone against these guys before- earlier this year.” Himchan remarked while he stared at the map. “It won't be easy to just go in and out quickly.”

You nodded, folding your arms across your chest. “We have to try, though.” Everyone nodded in agreement and Yongguk smiled in relief.

“I'm glad we're all on the same page. It's almost dusk, let's pack up and get going.” Yongguk gathered the papers and walked out. Everyone else dispersed to go get ready until it was just you and Jongup standing next to each other at the table.

“It's supposed to rain tonight.” He suddenly remarked, bringing your attention back to him. He looked over at you and met your gaze. “To be honest… I don't like the idea of being separated from you. I don't understand why, but it just doesn't feel right.”

“I feel the same way.” You admitted, looking down at the bare table. You couldn't maintain eye contact. He was drawing you in again and now was not the time to be distracted.

He reached out and grabbed your hand, holding you carefully by just a few fingers. “Please stay safe.”

***

 

Slowly, the group approached the chainlink fence around the school. Beyond the fence was a large open area leading up to the front of the building. It was getting stormy and droplets of rain were beginning to fall.

Yongguk looked at you. “Can you Slip us in?”

“Of course I can.” You walked forward to the padlocked chain that kept the fence gates closed. You held the lock in your hand for a few moments, looking at it until it clicked open for you.

The chain slid to the ground and you pushed the fence gates open. Rain began to fall harder and thunder rumbled overhead. Everyone came together one last time. Yongguk met everyone’s eyes, making sure no one wanted to back out at the last second. He was not disappointed. Everyone had adrenaline running through them, ready to go. “Alright, you all know your jobs, let’s go!” He had to shout as thunder continued to crash above the group.

The group broke apart and began to move into the enemy’s territory. You shared one more glance with Jongup before he turned and ran toward the school’s entrance. You looked at Youngjae and nodded your head in the direction of the school. “Do you See her?”

His eyes were glowing a gorgeous dark golden yellow. “Yeah, she’s on the first floor, far end of the building.” He began to lead the way, walking along the fence line to avoid being spotted.

Gunshots mixed with thunder, Skills mixed with lightning. It was complete chaos in front of the school as the two groups met each other. You wanted to look, but you shook your head. Focus was the most important thing right now. Youngjae eventually brought you to a side entrance. It was locked, but you easily Slipped through.

“This way.” Youngjae’s eyes continued to glow inside the building as he was Seeking out Yongguk’s friend. The building was old and drafty, but at least it was kind of dry. You followed him all of the way to the old nurse's office. He stopped outside the door. “She’s in here.”

You nodded and reached out for the door handle. After twisting the handle a few times, it automatically unlocked itself for you. You opened the door and stepped inside, looking around in the dimly lit room for danger first.

Then you saw someone sitting on one of the old cots lined up against the wall. A woman with long copper hair stood up. “Ah, so you did join them!” She said happily.

“What?” You asked, glancing at Youngjae who just shrugged, his eyebrows furrowed.

“I'm Sae.” She said, still standing in the same spot. “Did Yongguk send you?”

“Yes, and right now he's fighting downstairs to distract your kidnappers. If you'll follow us, we'll get you out safely.” Youngjae said, moving to the door again.

“Thank you so much!” You could hear the grateful smile in her voice. She fumbled around near the bed until she found what she was looking for- a walking stick. She tapped it lightly along the ground in front of her while you and Youngjae just looked at her in surprise. When you could finally see her face, you were shocked to see her eyes were a light, faded blue color. She was blind.

 

You and Youngjae exchanged a look. Then he walked forward and stood in front of her. “It might be easier for me to just carry you,” he offered.

 

She nodded and folded up her stick. “I agree, thank you Youngjae.”

 

“How do you know his name?” You asked while Sae climbed onto the man’s back.

 

“You'll find out soon enough. But first we need to get out of here.” She reminded you.

 

You nodded and led the way out of the room and down the hallway to the side door. You could hear yelling and gunshots as you arrived at the exit to outside. You opened the door and peeked out. No one was there. “Okay, come on.” You began walking outside. The rain was falling aggressively in heavy drops. The wind, thunder, and lightning had picked up, too.

 

“Wait-” Sae called out to you, but it was already too late.

One of the gangsters rounded the corner and looked at the three of you in surprised fury. “Where do you think you're going?!” He brought up his gun at the same time as you grabbed yours.

Just as he was about to pull the trigger, he was shot from behind. Jongup appeared as the man fell to the muddy ground in a heap. When he saw you, Jongup's chest nearly burst with relief. “You guys are still okay.” He ran over and stood in front of you. He blinked quickly, trying to keep the water out of his eyes. “The fighting is basically done. No casualties on our end.”

“We need to go. Now!” Sae suddenly had an urgency to her voice. You looked at her curiously before you heard renewed fighting at the front of the school.

“Crap, they called in reinforcements.” Youngjae mumbled, already looking around and trying to Seek out the closest enemies. “Jongup, behind you!”

As a man rounded the corner, he and Jongup fired shots at the same time. Suddenly an intense, excruciating pain pierced through your right side. You looked down, but nothing was wrong. You were clean. When you looked in front of you, you saw blood blooming on Jongup's shirt near his waist on his right side. In the same area that you were feeling the pain. The bullet had gone through him completely, causing him to stumble back a few steps. Your heart sped up and you called out his name, moving forward to be directly behind him.

“Wait.” He said, holding a hand out to stop you. He was watching the man he had just shot to make sure he was really dead. He had fallen immediately as Jongup’s bullet went right through his head. “You guys have to go. Get back.. to the hideout. Her safety is.. our main priority.” He told you, grabbing his side as he turned toward you.

“We will see you there.” Knowing that he may not have much time before the next attacker found them, Youngjae turned and left, walking quickly through the torrential rain in order to get his charge to safety.

You reached out, grabbing Jongup as he swayed. You were shaking. You didn't know if it was from the confusing pain in your side or what, but it was definitely unnerving. “Jongup, I-”

“Are you hurt?” He asked, looking you over to check that you were still whole. His eyes darted around, making sure you were in one piece. He had his left hand applying pressure to the wound, so his right hand moved to grab the sleeve of your jacket.

You shook your head. “No, I'm fine.” He smiled a little and nodded. He pulled you with him as he walked to the building wall. He leaned against it to rest since it was slightly more sheltered than just standing in the middle of the yard. “Jongup, we have to get you taken care of.” You said in a quiet voice. Your heart was beating quickly from adrenaline and fear. Jongup’s whole right side was getting covered in blood. At this rate, he would bleed too much and pass out soon. You grabbed his right hand and pulled on it, trying to get him to move, but you were surprised by what you heard.

“FUXK IT HURTSSSS DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT--” There was a loud screaming coming from him. It startled you so much that you nearly dropped his hand at first.

“It'll be okay, come on, let's find the others.” You tried to get him moving, but you weren't sure you were getting through. “Okay, stop screaming for five seconds! I know it hurts. I feel it, too, but we have to finish this mission!” You felt bad for yelling at him out loud, but if you couldn’t get through to him mentally, then your voice would have to do.

At that, he blinked and his eyes widened, looking at you. “What do you mean ‘you feel it too’? You weren't shot, were you?” He looked you over again even as he shivered. His wet clothes and hair clung to him while rivulettes of rain trailed along his skin. Your own clothes were doing the same so you knew he had to be getting cold like you.

“I don't know, but there's a sharp pain in my side. I want to scream, too, but I can’t.” You tugged at his hand and he finally started moving. You pulled his arm over your shoulders, trying to help him along. “We don't have time to figure it out right now. Let's go!”

Jongup nodded and let you lead him back toward the front of the building so that you could hopefully find your friends in one piece.

★☆★☆★☆