001

CAFFEINE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clock on the bedside has been snoozing again, making it the third times for the alarm to blast its sound. With her sleepy eyes she have search it blindly with her hand to stop the alarm. It was lucky enough that she actually made effort to turn off the alarm— that was the fourth clock that she bought; most of it was crashed on the floor during the morning battle.

 

Open up the curtains and stretching her stiff body; Kim Ae Jung ready to start her day. Breakfast is the most important thing of the day and she will never skip it. Firstly because her stomach will just be that hungry every morning and secondly is because she can actually save on lunch by having a heavy breakfast in one take.

 

She had a leftover kimchi fried rice to be reheat in the microwave oven, pouring a glass of milk while turn on the television that she don’t even remember when was the last time she used. Ae Jung is a busy girl and she had devoted most of her life for her uni and part time job.

 

“There are so many cases nowadays involving with young girl kidnaping. We are advising for everyone out there to be more careful”

 

“We advise to girls especially to those who love to walk alone at night, to take a precaution action as they criminal are still out there looking out for a new victim”

 

Her eyes divert from the news that the anchorman announce to the new text message that she got. It was from her group mate, texting the details for their upcoming assignment. Take a long sigh, she quickly type in ‘noted’ before putting the phone away. Her life was boring and will always like that.

 

Sometimes she wonder if it was her fault that led her to have this saddens life. Her family was died when she was little and being raised in the orphanage didn’t really fill up the emptiness in herself. Ae Jung tends to distant herself from other kids when she was small, being the silencer among everyone during her high school and introvert in her uni.

 

Her life has become a routine and she hate it. But yet she have to endured it as to live. She had no motivation to be happy on herself and she didn’t have a reason too for her give up on her life. But deep down she wonder if she can actually change her dull life to become more colorful, or to actually have some to cherish. Like how is it feel to be loved by someone.

 

“Who are you to dream like that Ae Jung?” As she talk to her reflection in the mirror. She just chuckled to her absurd imagination and shake her her head.

 

At only seven on the night the kitchen was already full to its capacity, every countertop overtaken by the cafe famous pasta and all kind flavors of dessert ready to be served to the customers. It’s look so tempting and delicious, just like how the chefs claimed its taste. 

 

It was already crowded with full with customers but the small yet very fancy cafe still welcoming any new comer. At one corner, there was a cafe manager busily looking around, finding the possibilities for the employees to make mistake and ready to humiliate them in front of everyone.

 

“Kim Ae Jung!” The mid 30s man was shouted across the room. “Do not spill the coffee anymore! Do you really think the espresso is that cheap?!”

 

He really don’t have to speak in that tone. If he knew that it will only give a bad reputation to the cafe, he shouldn’t do that. But he is that prick that are very arrogant and ignorant. Maybe Ae Jung have the third thing to put in her hated list. Uni, part time job and his stupid old manager.

 

“My mistake. Sorry” She said while turning her back entirely, rolling her eyes to the annoying manager. 

 

He scoffed. “Listen here girl. If you want to stay longer here you better listen to me!” 

 

“Why don’t you kick me out anyway?” She challenged him. She knew that her annoying manager will never say that. Because she was trusted to him by the cafe owner itself, to make her comfortable with her work. Or in a simple way— she’s too lucky that the cafe owner treats her like her own family. 

 

It useless to argue with someone that you knew that won’t even back off for you. To win over a grumpy 40 years old manager is one of it. She was done with her ty job yet she couldn’t seems to quit it. Ae Jung need money and with the economy crisis era where it will so hard to find a job; it is useless. 

 

...

 

Ae Jung cursing herself for being so stupid or maybe— she was that stupid. Her day was ed up yet it wasn’t the end. She was supposed to stop at the two previous station but then she was too tired and over slept over the ride, resulting her to get stranded at the last station. 

 

There is no way to get back into the station as the trip that she took previously was the last one. Thanks to her annoying manager who made her stay back in the cafe. Taxi are hard to find at this hour and surely she didn’t wish to spend more dollars just to pay for Uber. Ae Jung have no other choice beside walking about her destination. 

 

It was a chilly night and with no extra layer of clothes, she was almost freezing from the weather. Luckily that her battery is still full enough to accompany her through the walk. Not too think about how dangerous it could be for a girl like her to walk around the city, let alone by herself, she just decided to continue her journey.

 

Two blocks of building has passed and she have four more to go before reaching her apartment complex. Her legs was numb and her body almost collapsed due to her busy day and by walking extra 4 kilometers definitely going to make it worst.

 

Ae Jung has made sure that the sound come from the earphones was loud enough and she also confirmed that Agust D wasn’t exactly sound like that. Especially when she slower down the volume just to heard something unexpected like, “You know that my boss can just kill you right?”

 

“I’m sorry Sir— I will pay back the mon—“ she gasped in horror when the similar scene that she always saw in the drama was exactly like how is in front of her now. 

 

She was hiding behind the corner of the shop lot, trying her best to stay quiet. There was two big guy, torturing another guy who was laying on the floor with cuts and blood. And then she was there was one guy leaning on the wall, puffing his cigarette while come closer to the victim— well that’s from her perspective. 

 

“You know that my boys didn’t joke on that” In a blink of second a bullet has gone through on the victim head. A loud gunshot sound has made her screamed automatically. Ae Jung knew that she wasn’t safe anymore. Especially when the man eye was locked into her.

 

“Who’s that?!” One of them yelled with the sound of guns clicking pulling the trigger, in case that the intruder might bring them harm. 

 

“Boss, should we eliminate her too?” Oh really. When Ae Jung said that she almost give up with her life, this is not exactly how she meant to die.

 

“We are not killing just anybody. Should we knock her off instead boss?” His partner suggestion actually sound better than the idea of her getting killed by unknown mafia. 

 

That man was lowered his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter