narrative of 181231

everyday i get worse (please let others know about us)

Mark sighed into the hood of his jacket. He didn’t want to be here but he cared about Jinyoung too much to ditch when he was so serious and he was glad he didn’t have to worry about dinner tonight. He slouched as he walked, dreading all the social interaction he’d have to do tonight. Mark had no problem with Jaebum, they were so similar in nature that they clicked well. However, someone else, someone new would be there and Mark was always anxious meeting new people. Bambam and Yugyeom both always thought he was lying with how well be got on with both of them so quickly, but that’s because Bambam and Yugyeom had auras and demeanors that Mark felt comfortable around. Sure, Bambam was wild and a force of nature and Yugyeom was a whirlwind of energy and limbs, but they didn’t drain Mark’s energy like the majority of the campus.

He sighed once more when he and Jinyoung reached the front of the restaurant they planned to eat at, scanning for Jaebum and his friend. Mark hoped so hard that he wouldn’t show, would rather third wheel to Jinyoung and Jaebum than be forced to interact with a stranger he knew nothing about.

Mark was about to hightail out of there when Jinyoung grabbed his arm and dragged him to where he spotted his boyfriend and his friend. “Jaebummie!”

Jackson had his hands in his pockets and was trying not to sulk for Jaebum hyung and Jinyoung’s sake, when he heard Jinyoung call out Jaebum’s name. He took and deep breath and decided to face this like one of his training regiments; he’d just have to get it over with so he could go home and sleep. Maybe cry at how much of a he is.

Jackson squared his shoulders when he heard footsteps getting closer and turned around to greet Jinyoung and his friend Mark-

And frankly forgot how to breathe.

Mark bit the insides of his cheeks before he knew he had to force them into a smile and once the reached Jaebum, he lifted his head slowly from where it was buried in his jacket (why was Seoul always so cold) and choked.

Mark and Jackson stared wide eyed at each other, each not daring to breathe for a few seconds. By the time Jinyoung and Jaebum stopped greeting each other, they thankfully had their expressions a little more under control.

Jinyoung turned to Jackson. “Hi Jackson! It’s good to see you! Thank you for coming out tonight! I want you to meet my friend Mark,” he said, gesturing to Mark. Jinyoung hit him in the arm when Mark just stood there, stunned.

Mark stuck out his hand in a daze and Jackson took it quickly, almost hitting Jaebum in his haste. “Mark.”

“Jackson,” Jackson nodded back, voice almost cracking.

Jinyoung clapped his hands together. “Great! Now that we’re all introduced let’s get a table!” He grabbed Jaebum by the arm and pulled him into the restaurant, not glancing behind him to see if the other two were following.

Mark and Jackson stared at each other for a few seconds before they remembered they too had to go inside. Jackson coughed and lunged forward, opening the door for Mark.

“After you,” he said, a blush making its way up his neck to stain his cheeks. Mark brushed a few wayward strands of hair behind his ear and ducked his head, murmuring a shy thank you before heading inside, his ears pink. Jackson willed himself to keep his hands to himself, but he couldn’t help himself.

Before they went inside the second set of restaurant doors, Jackson grabbed Mark’s wrist and spun him around, impatient and wanting to know, hoping so badly. Jackson felt his breath catch in the back of his throat when Mark looked up at him from under his lashes, questioning. He swallowed. “Yien?” he croaked, hopeful.

Jackson could barely hear over the pulse in his ears when Mark’s lips twitched up into a smile. “Jiaer.”

Jackson let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. He ran a hand through his hair, unbearably flustered when Mark kept looking at him, a smile still on his lips. “We should, uh, we should go inside and find those two-” Jackson said, leaning to push the doors to the reception area open.

Mark stopped him by grabbing his arm and pulling to make Jackson face him again, the grin on his lips playful, eyes glittering. “Hey...do you wanna play a little prank on them?”

Jackson would do anything he asked. He his lips, “I’m listening.”