two

what's better than i love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was the start of his first day as a college student. Baekhyun, a young boy in his twenties, chose to oversleep that morning of September and it had placed Kyungsoo into a big headache. They were already roomies for two months now in an apartment building near Seoul University and the assistant still can’t adjust to Baekhyun’s time management.

“Wake up now, Byun Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo ordered as he raises the blinds on Baekhyun’s room. He cannot be indolent like what he’s exhibiting. As a future part of the royal family, he must value time because the world will not wait for him. “Wake up, I say! Don’t make me hit you.”

 

There was a groan of detest. “Ten more minutes please.”

 

That whine made Kyungsoo snap. Most people would ask for 5 minutes more but the future spouse of the Prince is truly a very different fellow. He instantly pulled Baekhyun’s banana comforters and exposed him to the sunlight.

 

It was an effective move because in an instance, Baekhyun rose up from his bed, his hair cutely messed.. Kyungsoo was aware that Baekhyun didn’t like what he did and that he is scowling but the bald assistant didn’t care.

 

As the one who is tasked to teach the future partner of the Prince and as someone who’s personally close to Baekhyun, he had to be stern and strict to prevent him from being used to the idea that he can do whatever he wants because they love him. He had to follow what is prim and proper.

 

However, the commoner is that type of child who easily moves the heart and the assistant had a challenge to stay professional and unattached.

 

If Kyungsoo doted on him, it will be trouble. He’ll do this puppy face for you to give him a slack and it’s not going to happen with him. That’s why he’s always turning his back on the younger. The King may not be conscious about it but he is a whipped grandfather in-law with Baekhyun.

 

Who wouldn’t love and shower Baekhyun with good things, though? The boy grew up in slums of the poorest. Despite being able to attend high school, god knows it was very hard for him lacking financial capabilities all the time. Most youngsters his age would give up but Byun Baekhyun had his dreams built strong by the hardships he faced.

 

When the King told him that he’ll attend Seoul University, it put him to tears, happy that he can continue studying without any problem. He even cried when he first received his mobile phone saying that it’s the first time he held such an expensive item.

 

Kyungsoo wanted to give him slack sometimes but Baekhyun should know that he needs to be serious when it comes to learning in order to avoid trouble in the future.

 

“You are really heartless you know?” Baekhyun mumbles childishly as he makes his bed. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, not minding the younger. “I wasn’t able to sleep last night.”

 

“And why is that? We separated last night early for you to rest?”

 

“I was trying to find decent pictures of – of you-know”

 

“And you’ll find none.”

 

“At least give me a photo of him.” Baekhyun sighed. Kyungsoo was right that he didn’t find anything about his future husband, the Prince of Korea. He was only given a name, and that he studies in Cambridge. Nothing more nothing less. He found none, no matter what keywords and search engine he used. There’s just no Park Chanyeol studying at Cambridge. The prince is nothing more but a secret to all. “Why won’t people orient me with this whole marriage thing? Harabeoji, the King, Yoora and even the crown prince would always surprise me with news.” He continued.

 

Baekhyun really felt it was unfair that he doesn’t know anything. He’s not going against the arrangement, per se. It’s already happening. All he wanted was just to be properly informed.

 

He doesn’t really want to embarrass himself again in front of the members of the royal family because it always happens!

 

His trauma when he met the crown prince still haunts him till this day.

 

It was not long ago when the embarrassing meeting happened. You see, before this whole arranged marriage thing with the royalties of Korea, Baekhyun and his grandfather lived in a shantytown called Guryong. While most of Seoul is considered progressed and flourished, deep in the hidden part of the lovely city was this undeveloped village.

 

Forgotten by the monarch? Probably.

 

Guryong is a resettlement place for the people from low income areas prior to the rapid need of development of Seoul for the Olympic Games. It may seem like a place for the hopeless case – but for a few dreamers like Baekhyun who works his off with his studies to be able to give a better life for him and his grandfather, it is home.

 

Though poor and lacking, life there is happy and simple. Baekhyun and his grandfather survived living together because of fishing. While his old man goes to the sea, he’s the one who sells it in their market. Who wouldn’t know the loud Byun Baekhyun? He’s the clown of the ahjummas.

 

But of course, this kind of living isn’t enough. On most days, he delivers milk and newspapers to the village and by night, he part times at the bakery owned by a Chinese woman in exchange of snacks, rice, dried fish, eggs and kimchi. Baekhyun calls her lola because her grandson calls her like that. He has friends who he treasures dearly and neighbors that helps them when they don’t have food to put on their plate.

 

Who would have thought that from a mere delivery boy from the poorest town, he’d be someone to wed the Prince – the next generation ruler of the country?

 

The crown prince going to their place was a very unbelievable experience. Horrible, even.

 

Crown Prince Jungsoo was disguised that time for safety purposes and Baekhyun, the bright boy of Guryong, thought that it’s the loan sharks intimidating his grandfather to pay in full. It was that time of the month where they visit for that payment and as the only family of his grandfather, Baekhyun’s first instinct was to protect and shoo them away.

 

What a better way to shoo the disguised crown prince and his guards by throwing dirtied water right on his whole body. Baekhyun wanted to be eaten by the ground and never comeback when his grandfather whacked him painfully on his head upon recognizing who they were.

 

On Baekhyun’s defense, they never had a television of their own and only a radio was their way to be entertained that’s why he was clueless what the crown prince looked. If he knew, he would be able to recognize the crown prince in a heartbeat!

Poor Baekhyun, making a nice impression to his future-in law. Surely, the crown prince was pissed but nevertheless, carried on with his task – to invite the two at the Royal palace to meet the King.

 

They were granted to meet the King, the head of the monarch, the kindest of all the kings Korea ever had. King Hyunjo is the man of the public, who turned out to be an old friend of his grandfather. Baekhyun was awed by everything his eyes saw and was surprised when he was embraced by the King. Then he remembered he was dressed in old and worn out clothes. He might’ve smelled bad too but the King didn’t seem to mind.

 

The commoner really had the most unbelievable experience. Never in his life did he imagined to be able to set foot at the Hwa house, the King’s official home. Few of the maids he befriended told him that it was a big privilege to be invited in the King’s home. He didn’t quite understand why but the maids knew that it was best to approach them as very important visitors. Baekhyun was really shocked with the immense courtesy they showed.

 

In one day, he met the most important people of the country and the biggest news of his entire life.

 

A wedding arrangement made by the King and his grandfather. A wedding to Prince Chanyeol. He didn’t know how to react. Baekhyun is a mix of confused and scared boy.

To say that he dislikes it felt like he’s disrespecting the King and the royal family. They said the arranged marriage will happen because they wanted him to have a good life, and that the King’s indebted to his grandfather. The succeeding days after their meeting felt like a whirlpool of mixed emotions. They were showered of goods – clothes, food, a brand new LED TV he never thought of having. It was too much and Baekhyun, though thankful, wished they could stop pampering them.

 

He doesn’t know if he dislikes this arranged marriage but decided to go with the flow to make the elders happy. The King likes it when he visits him. His grandfather is excited for it. If his fiancé would dislike him, then they can find a way out.

 

However, when the King introduced Kyungsoo to him as his tutor for etiquette and everything about the royal family, he instantly became curious of the Prince. It was all because of the influence of Kyungsoo, telling stories about the Prince and his kindness and dedication in everything he does. Baekhyun heard he was an achiever and a future doctor, too. He focuses on projects for the children and women’s welfare locally and internationally. He’s also an advocate of equality for all.

 

He seemed like a nice person, really. Baekhyun felt at ease that his fiancé was such a man of love towards others just like King Hyunjo. He really can’t wait to meet him!

 

“Earth to Baekhyun, are you sleeping with your eyes opened because I’ll gladly poke it for you!”

 

Baekhyun was shaken with the small trip to memory lane and frowned at Kyungsoo.

 

“Don’t you dare scrunch your nose at me – it’s not working. Shower up and then breakfast!”

 

Baekhyun’s pouting continued. Most people get moved by that but not Kyungsoo.

 

Was Kyungsoo a person for real? There was no time to think about that. “I hope the Prince wouldn’t be as grumpy as you, you know! You can wake me up gently and softly.” Baekhyun murmurs under his breath.

 

The mornings with Kyungsoo are full of endless nagging. One time, he dreamt of his Prince, waking him up lovingly, pampering him with soft, tickling kisses and it was such a nice dream until Kyungsoo started screaming his name again and again and again.

Kyungsoo must’ve swallowed a ton of megaphones. Baekhyun got used to adore it but sometimes, the assistant is making it hard for him to be motivated.

 

He quickly finishes bathing and styled himself up. On his etiquette class with Ms.Tae, it is a must to know how to dress well and he was a fast learner. With the help of the King’s granddaughter, Yoora, he received pretty clothes that can make him presentable enough and less boring.

 

Today, for his first day at the prestigious Seoul University, he wore a knitted sweater and denim pants. He’s still contemplating if he’ll wear that special shoes his grandfather gifted him for his birthday this year. It was an imitation unlike the shoes he currently has now but it’s very comfortable to wear.

 

It makes him feel that the day will be okay when he wears it. Seoul University is too big and he can’t afford to have blisters by using his new shoes. “Here, eat lots.” Says the motherly side of Kyungsoo as he gave eggs and ham on Baekhyun’s plate. The assistant knew how big the appetite of Baekhyun was and it delighted Baekhyun. Kyungsoo is a good cook and his foods are really the best. “I have a very important business to attend to at the Bl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter