five

what's better than i love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The start of the new semester was chilly and most of the people in the country will soon experience winter. Weeks had passed and Baekhyun became used in living in the Palace easily.

Interacting with the royal family has become normal for him and the manners he only practiced with Kyungsoo before is now part of his lifestyle. It’s not hard for him to exhibit the etiquettes he should do in front of the elders for it became a part of his daily routine. The crown princess, as expected tried to visit them at the Hwa house as often as possible despite of her schedule.

 

The King was utterly impressed with him and wanted to teach him more of his leisure.

 

Baekhyun was too shy to reject evenings when the King invites him over tea at his living area as teaches the commoner how to write Chinese calligraphy.

 

How can Baekhyun not join him when he can hear the King laugh heartily over his silly mistakes? During mornings, he’d invite Baekhyun for a daily walk in the pavilion to clear their minds for a productive day together. On rare occasions, Chanyeol has the time to spare and the prince sees to it that he’d come along and accompany them

 

Lately, Chanyeol spends time at the university to do his research. He’d get home late and had to go to back early. He and Baekhyun had like an hour or two to catch up with each other since they couldn’t meet at the university too because the med students are busy for their yearly outreach project.

 

The younger would always drag Minseok just to check on the prince secretly.

 

Every day, Baekhyun’s appreciation towards the prince’ diligence and hard work deepens.

 

Every day, he misses him dearly and because of the longing, Baekhyun came to a realization that he already has deep feelings for the prince.

It’s not a happy crush anymore.

He’s in love.

 

Minseok was the first to know what he felt for Chanyeol. The older encouraged him to tell the prince what he felt and the thing about being childhood friends but Baekhyun couldn’t find the right timing to tell the prince.

 

It wasn’t part of his plan to tell the prince that he was piggy, though. Actually, it doesn't crossed his mind on telling it to the prince anymore but Minseok suggested that he should.

 

“Who knows things might change between the two of you, right?” Minseok kids, giving him such romantic ideas of the Chanyeol falling for him as well after knowing but Baekhyun doesn’t want that kind of love.

 

He wishes deep inside him that if Chanyeol falls for him, it’s because of who he is and not because of pity out of what happened to their childhood and their wedding arrangement.

 

The revelation was quite a shock for him that he reveled with himself only.

He’s scared for the prince’ reaction.

 

What if he wouldn’t feel happy just like him?

He said it himself that he doesn’t want to associate with piggy anymore because he thinks he’ll just bring misfortune to him again.

 

What if the prince drifts away from him after knowing?

 

Baekhyun really disliked the thought.

 

What if Prince Chanyeol would see the scar he had after the incident?

 

Every time Baekhyun looks at his body, it scares him that the Prince might felt guilty and reminded again of the price in doing what he wanted to experience.

*****

“I’m so excited to hear the results, Baekhyun-ah.” The crown princess exclaimed over the phone as Baekhyun walks his way to Seoul University Hospital to have his fertility check. He had to go alone unlike what is originally planned to be accompanied by his mother-in-law but there’s an important meeting she had to attend to. “I’m really sorry you had to go alone. Is there anything you’d like me to buy for you?”

 

“Ah. Eomonim. Please don’t apologize. I understand that the Blue House needs you.” Baekhyun almost stuttered upon addressing Mrs. Park like his own mother. The crown princess required him to address her like his own mother because she felt that Baekhyun had the need to feel comfortable with the royal family.

 

She easily felt a barrier between them because Baekhyun grew up as a commoner and in a commoner’s mindset, they always feel that they should be extra polite and courteous towards the royal family.

 

She disliked Baekhyun to be extra to them. He’ll be part of the family once their marriage takes place and she thought of helping him.

“I’ll call you as soon as my test finishes.” Baekhyun can hear Mrs. Park pout over the other line. “Eomonim.” He calls again one more time and this time, it’s sweeter and consoling. “It’s really okay.”

“I’ll only feel better if you will ask me something that you’d like. I dislike breaking promises and when I do, I see to it that I can give something in return. Like a bribe, honey.” She kids, and Baekhyun remembers that Chanyeol will be going home early that night.

 

“Can we… cook dinner this afternoon for the Prince?” Baekhyun mumbles, hesitant that he’s asking too much from the crown princess. Since Prince Chanyeol was busy, he hasn’t met with the family. The commoner thinks it’s been a long time already that Chanyeol met with his family because of his busy schedule and it might make him happy if he could eat dinner with them even just for tonight.

 

“I don’t think my meeting would consume the whole day. I’ll ask Seolhwa to fix it for me, anything else??”

“Strawberries for the prince?”

“That’s not even a bribe for you but for our Chan.” Mrs. Park giggled. “Okay okay. I’ll ask Kyungsoo to pick out the ripest and freshest strawberries for your dear prince.”

 

Baekhyun was happy after the phone call although it bothered him on the strawberry picking task for Kyungsoo but nevertheless, Baekhyun knows Kyungsoo is capable to do the request without failure.

 

He’s looking forward on surprising the prince and do little things for him.

 

The thought of making the prince delighted made him less worried visiting the doctor on his own.

Chanyeol was the one who scheduled an appointment for him and he wasn’t expecting a general checkup for the day. He’s surprised to see Yewon waiting for him at the lobby of the hospital, holding a paper bag in both of her hands.

 

“Baekhyun-ah!” she calls, running excitedly towards him. “It’s good to see you! I rushed here after my class since I have time to spare. It’s your checkup, right? Chanyeol told me.”

 

Before answering, Baekhyun glanced at the wall clock near them and saw that it’s already lunch time. “Shouldn’t you be having lunch now, Yewon?”

 

“I’m on my calorie diet – I ate already.” She says, linking arms with Baekhyun. “Chanyeol and Jongdae are still at the lab hence I am here to accompany you on your check up. Actually, Chanyeol asked me. Never knew he had a caring side like that. By the way – I brought you snacks and vitamin drinks.”

 

They sat down at the waiting quarters. Yewon was still chatty as ever. She’s excited in showing Baekhyun the stuff she bought for him. Baekhyun wasn’t able to thank her because she kept on talking about the dosages and the effects of it. The commoner doesn’t mind, though. Yewon’s talkativeness made him less anxious. He’s worried for negative results of his check up and it’s his first time to be actually checked.

 

Their conversation, however, was cut off when a lady in blue scrub suit approached them. Baekhyun thinks that she just came out of the surgery. “Yewon-ah! Good to see you here.”

“Doctor Im!” Yewon stood up and gave a polite bow. Not knowing what to do, Baekhyun followed Yewon and stood on his place as he watched them exchange friendly smiles with each other. “I’m here to play with my friend for a while!”

 

Baekhyun immediately bowed to the lady doctor when he was greeted with a curt nod.

 

“Is he sick?” she asked, referring to Baekhyun. Yewon was as enthusiastic as ever, answering for him.

 

“No, Doctor Im. He’s just here to be checked. He also knows Chanyeol!”

 

“That’s good to hear –“ the lady sighed with relief and then gave Baekhyun a long look. “Speaking of Chanyeol, have you seen him by the way? He promised me lunch today.”

By the mere mention of Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s curiosity sky rocketed and made him lift his head. His eyes were curious. It may be a little obvious because the doctor picked up something by the way he reacted towards the mention of the prince.

 

“Ah, Doctor. Chanyeol and the others are really busy so it will be negative for you to have lunch with him.”

“How can I even get dates with him if he’s that dedicated to his studies.” Doctor Im huffs, putting her hands in her pockets. “I really don’t believe Jongdae when he told everyone that Chanyeol’s engaged already.”

 

Baekhyun felt a chill running down his spine and heard Yewon awkwardly laugh.

 

He sort of agrees. If they knew that he was the one engaged with Chanyeol, surely, they’d make fun of the prince. Baekhyun took a quick look at the doctor and realized how she looked so beautiful and smart.

Baekhyun doesn’t know what he’s feeling inside but learning that a lot of better choices prying on Chanyeol made him really sad.

 

“He is really engaged though?”

 

“But why doesn’t he wear a ring or something?” the doctor retorts, stabbing Baekhyun in his chest unconsciously. He gazes at his hand and found himself getting sad for not having a ring despite of being engaged.

Yewon took note of what he did but kept quiet. She knows Baekhyun got affected by what the lady told them.

 

“Anyway. I need to get going and find Chanyeol. I’ll ask him references for my thesis, too. Nice meeting you, Yewon’s friend!”

 

When the lady doctor took her leave, Baekhyun sat awfully quiet on his place.

 

“You’ll be okay, Baekhyun-ah.” Yewon patted his back, trying to shy away Baekhyun from what Doctor Im said since he’s been playing with his ring-less finger. She knows the growing anxiety in Baekhyun because the younger kept on looking around the area and flinch whenever the door of his doctor’s office opens too... “Don’t be nervous. Tests are important to know what you should prioritize.”

 

“What if something’s wrong with me?”

 

“That’s why doctors exist.” Yewon tells him. “If something’s wrong then the doctors would help you feel better. I sounded like a good doctor, right?”

 

“I can’t wait to have you check me – oh. Should I just wait for you to become a doctor for my check up?”

 

“That won’t do, dummy.” The lady chuckled. “We still have a lot of years to go before we become real doctors so don’t push your luck. You can’t skip this checkup.”

 

Baekhyun tried to cheer up and the both of them talked and caught up with each other since both had become busy while waiting for his name to be called.

 

Yewon shared how Chanyeol become even more popular after acing a presentation that made the directors of the whole medical school amazed. As expected from a Cambridge alumnus, Baekhyun knew Chanyeol had the brilliance in him and his success on his chosen career is just a hand reach because his intelligence was equipped with dedication and hard work.

 

“Ah. He’s really popular even with the resident doctors. It’s a good thing that Chanyeol doesn’t do socialization outside the academic bounds.” Yewon shares and Baekhyun can see that the lady doesn’t approve it. “Even if we tell them he’s engaged, they wouldn’t back down. Should we introduce you?”

“That’s unnecessary, Yewon-ah.” Baekhyun mumbles but he really felt the sad and jealous feeling to know that a lot of people liking the prince who walks and breathes in the same path as him

“Aren’t you alarmed that people might snatch him from you? Because I am! I’m always rooting for the both of you and I can’t stand those general surgery residents flocking all over Chanyeol despite of the hostile face he’s giving. Women really like the challenge that kept them chasing the hard to get ones...”

 

Baekhyun was undeniably alarmed but he felt that he shouldn’t act upon anything. “I am but –“

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll guard him for you. Just promise me to step up and protect what’s yours.”

 

The younger nods to please his friend but in all honesty, what Doctor Im told him a while ago screamed that Chanyeol is not his.

 

By the betrothal, yes, he is his… but that’s all their relationship is.

 

Baekhyun still haven’t confessed anything to Chanyeol and he doesn’t really know what the prince felt about him.

 

His relationship with Chanyeol was really complicated and his head might burst with the amount of questions forming inside him. It was timely that his attention diverted when the nurse called for his name.

Baekhyun was checked by Kim Junmyeon, who’s far by the friendliest doctor he ever met in his entire life. It happens that Dr. Kim was actually a close friend of Yoora, and also a trusted doctor of the royal family. Baekhyun saw the picture frames on his shelves and saw the amount of memories he shared with the Princess and wondered if he knew Chanyeol’s identity too.

“Chanyeol told me to give him your results as soon as possible –“ the doctor grits his teeth as he arranged the tests Baekhyun should do on his computer. “That punk – who was he thinking ordering a hyung like that? I should give it to you, by protocol because you’re my patient.”

“Will the checkup take the whole day, doctor?”

Baekhyun received a smile from the doctor. He thinks he’s close with Chanyeol too because he kept on calling the prince names. “No, Baekhyun-ssi. The crown princess told me to do the checkup quick and precisely. She would nag me if I’ll keep you waiting here”

The younger was surprised to know that his doctor was that close to the royal family.

“I am personally close to the royal family but I never expect Chanyeol to have a fiancé this early. It must be hard on you to live with your in laws and the other royals, hmm?”

“Oh… you know…”

“Of course!” the doctor grins. “Chanyeol told me that’s why I need to be extra nice on you or those siblings will nag me. Let’s just run few tests. It’s blood, hormones and urinary tests. Those were the usual. Yewon can go with you. She’s working under me.” He winks, making Baekhyun fidget on his chair.

 

The test he undergone to went fast and it’s the waiting that made him nervous. Yewon had to go back to her classes and left him alone in the waiting quarters. In times like this, it’s Chanyeol who he look for. He was contemplating whether to text the prince or not since Yewon mentioned that he’s kind of loaded for that day.

He wasted and hour of typing and deleting his messages multiple of times as he comes up with a message that wouldn’t irritate or bother the prince.

He ended up sending See you at home! as his message with a cute emoji after.

Baekhyun knows he wanted to see the prince on times when he’s uncertain and scared. Prince Chanyeol would hold his hand and tell him that it’ll be okay and that simple act calms him already. When he came back inside Dr. Kim’s office, there was a frown on the professor’s face as he reads the papers in front of him. He looked serious as he bites the inside of his cheek.

 

The commoner was wary and felt like puking his guts out on the floor.

 

“So far you are actually healthy.” Dr. Kim notified, putting down his lab results. Baekhyun knew because it has his name on it. “I’ll prescribe you vitamins supplements just to be sure that you’re always in good shape.”

 

The commoner nods, and waited for the doctor to speak again. He knew what the doctor would tell him is a bad news.

 

The doctor breathes a deep, frustrated sigh. “Baekhyun-ssi. Do you, perhaps, had a medical condition before that made you spent a month or two in the hospital?”

 

“I – When I was a child, I suffered from malnutrition and – uhm...” Baekhyun swallows a lump on his throat as the doctor across him patiently waited for him to continue. “I was shot because of an accident. I don’t remember much, Doctor Kim. But those were the instances that I was hospitalized.”

“That’s enough for me to explain why you are negative to be fertile and it’s highly impossible for you to get pregnant easily.”

 

 

Impossible to get pregnant.

 

Baekhyun felt lightheaded after his consultation with Dr. Kim who was kind enough to see him out after he explained his situation. The doctor insisted despite of Baekhyun’s humble declines.

 

“Well, based from the hormones that your body produces, you’re actually that lucky individual out of 50 males that can handle pregnancies – however, because you had a history of malnutrition when you were a kid, it damaged your ovulation. You also have a high level of FSH based on your blood test, too. Having this result meant that you do have a lower to no chance of getting pregnant.”

 

The commoner felt disappointed with himself as he walked his way out the university, clutching the envelope of his results in his hand. The checkup didn’t take a whole day and the tests didn’t even require physical strength yet Baekhyun felt really dog-tired emotionally, mentally and physically.

He kept on sighing as he walked lethargically, not aware of his surroundings and even accidentally bumping students he came across to.

 

You have low to no chance of getting pregnant.

 

Baekhyun felt his heart breaking into pieces as the voice of Dr. Kim echoed inside his mind repetitively. He’s so close on breaking down with the thought of disappointing his in laws, the King who never failed to express his wanting of grand kids.

 

How can he even face the crown princess with the news? Baekhyun knew it would totally break her heart as well.

 

The commoner wiped a tear that unconsciously rolled down his cheek and tried to gather himself as he approached the bus stop. He had to wait a little bit more to be able to cross the road for him to wait for the bus he should get on.

 

It was the weary that made Baekhyun forget to double check the traffic light and thought it was good to cross the pedestrian lane already. As he crossed the lane mindlessly, his phone suddenly rang inside his pocket and wasn’t able to see the motorcycle approaching him on such a fast speed.

There was loud honking and few by passers shouting that it was dangerous to cross but Baekhyun was too late to realize his mistake.

Baekhyun was frightened and wasn’t able to move on his spot. He was actually frozen, as if his brain stopped working and the only thing he can do was to close his eyes and wait to be hit.

 

Fortunately, the motorcycle driver was quick enough to turn his vehicle away from the poor commoner. Baekhyun was spared but the cyclist lost his balance and had his lavish looking motor crash into a tree.

It was quite a commotion as few kind hearted people aided the injured cyclist to stand up. Baekhyun was shivering with his near death experience and felt that his knees are turning wobbly weak.

“Yah – are you freaking stupid?!” shouted the cyclist who made Baekhyun face him. The cyclist looked alright, being able to stand straight as he approached the commoner aggressively. He removed his helmet and showed Baekhyun how pissed he was.

Baekhyun got instantly intimidated by his height. “I-I”

“Do you want to die??” the taller cyclist shouted, freaking Baekhyun even more. “Don’t you know how to follow traffic lights? Are you stupid? If you wanted to die then don’t freaking drag me with you.”

The cyclist continued to shout at Baekhyun and it was too much for the commoner already.

He was too terrified that he fell onto the ground on his knees and started crying so hard. His hardly kept emotions about his test results are suddenly springing out and his cries made the cyclist guilty of shouting at him.

 

“Ya-“ the stranger mumbled, crouching down despite of his confusion with the crying commoner. He felt like he scolded harshly and felt bad. “A-are you hurt? Why – why the hell are you wailing – I barely even hit you.” He added, shaking Baekhyun on his shoulders.

“I’m sorry –“ Baekhyun hiccupped, his face wet with tears “I’m sorry I’m stupid and useless I don’t want this to happen – I’m sorry!”

“Alright, alright –“the cyclist looked around the people and felt embarrassed for the both of them. “Can you stop crying, oh god – I felt like I’m bullying a child. I didn't call you useless where does that came from? Can you stand up?” He groans and Baekhyun nodded despite of his intense crying.

“I’m sorry, ahjussi –“

“Hey – I’m not an ahjussi.” He warned, pulling Baekhyun to stand up. “You should be careful. Now we’re in big trouble.”

*****

By trouble it meant that Baekhyun had to come with stranger at the police station to file what happened. A police officer was quick to respond and kindly invited to come and talk about the damages that happened because the motorcycle crashed on a public property. Trouble meant that there might be fines given to the both of them.

The commoner sat in front of the stranger quietly, who was sitting comfortable on his chair as they wait for the police officer to come back from getting the CCTV footage on where the accident happened. Baekhyun remembers Chanyeol with because of his overly long limbs and the listless expression on his face. Though the silver hair looked nice on him, Baekhyun still finds it odd to see someone as stylish as him. The stranger looked really good,

Baekhyun kept on staring and concluded stranger caught him staring and straightened his back as he stared at Baekhyun impassively.

“This is your fault, really.”

He squirmed, uncomfortably on his place and bowed his head. Earlier, when he was being scolded by the handsome cyclist, he burst into tears because he can't handle being filled with extreme emotions.

 

Baekhyun felt bad and didn’t raise his head. “I’m sorry.”

 

“You even cried and made me look bad.” The stranger continues and Baekhyun wanted to sink on his place. “Ahh. I’m so in trouble. Will I get detained? Ahh. I can’t afford to get detained, my mom will kill me. I just bought the motorcycle today why must I be so unlucky today?” he groans, too frustrated that he wanted to pull all of his silver hair out his head.

Despite of his apathetic demeanor, the stranger was quite a talker. He kept on mumbling what may happen to him like he was readying himself for the worst possibilities. All Baekhyun did was to watch him and it doesn’t go unnoticed from the commoner that the stranger had a scrape wound on his elbow. He was about to point it to the stranger when the police officer came back and gave them a scowl.

“Oh Sehun-ssi.” He called sternly. The stranger gave all of his attention to the police officer. “We’re letting you off but you have to pay the fine for driving with an expired license. Here. Look.”

Baekhyun watched as the officer handed the license to the man across him and pointed that his driver’s license should’ve been renewed yesterday. He can see how Sehun, face palmed himself, frowning as he apologized for not being able to update his license. “I’ll handle all of the expense, sir.” He said.

“I – I could help too –“ Baekhyun butts in, earning a glare from Sehun.

“How could a high school student help me on paying.”

Before answering, Baekhyun rummaged his bag to find his ID showed it to Sehun who thought he’s a high school student. Maybe it should be offending already because Baekhyun gets that comment a lot that he doesn’t look his age and most of the time, it’s a reason why people look down on him.

 

“I’m in college already!” Baekhyun protested, making the silver haired man in front of him drop his jaws.

 

“Officer, he’s using a fake ID.” He ratted, as if he was trying to offend Baekhyun.

 

“No it’s not!” Baekhyun scowls. “I want to help paying the fines.”

 

“Then it’s settled.” The officer announced, leaving his table again to arrange the charges they should pay. It stopped the both of them from arguing anymore and in no time, they were released out of the police station, Oh Sehun paying for his violation and Baekhyun paying for the damages of the accident.

 

After settling, Baekhyun tailed behind the silver haired cyclist on his way out. He still felt bad despite of paying half of the fines. Leaving like nothing happened doesn’t sit well with him.

 

“Se-sehun-ssi!” he called, grabbing the hem of his black leather jacket to catch up on him finally. If there’s something wrong with tall people, then it’s their long strides when they walk. He was panting when the taller turned to face him and Baekhyun didn’t noticed the scowl given to him.

 

“What?” the silver haired spats. “I still have lots to do, unless you’ll treat me food then you better not delay me with nonsense again.”

 

Baekhyun blinks the tall man in front of him and then heard a loud rumbling of a hungry stomach. He shouldn’t laugh at someone’s hunger but the cyclist managed to pull his impassive face as his stomach continues to detest him.

“I feel really bad for what happened and I should compensate you, at least. Would you like to eat? I’ll pay.”

 

“Fine.”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know what made him go with a complete stranger in a restaurant he and the prince usually frequents and prayed Gods that he wouldn’t have additional trouble by doing so.

 

When they arrive at the café, the silver haired man already told him his orders and went on his way to find a seat. Baekhyun had disbelief evident on his face when he was left to line for the counter.

From where he stands, he sees Sehun getting the place where Chanyeol usually takes when they visit the place He was sitting relaxed on the couch, checking his phone and momentarily looking outside to kill time as he waits for his food. The short commoner didn’t even order for himself because he felt like he already spent too much for that day and he’s too shy to ask for extra allowance from Yoora. Paying for the damages cost him a lot.

 

Somehow, he thought that treating Oh Sehun a meal is a bad idea.

 

The silver haired man started chomping his food as soon as Baekhyun arrived. By the looks of how he inhaled the food in front of him, he’s starving.

The shorter sat down in front of him and looked inside his back pack the mini first aid bag given to his class when they finished the semester. According to his professor, it’s a must as a nursing student to bring a first aid kit and that they should practice mending people already.

 

“Hey, shorty.” Sehun calls him, making Baekhyun scowl at him in return. “Why aren’t you eating?”

 

“I’m not short.”

 

“Pint sized?”

“no. I’m very average thank you very much. It’s Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.” Baekhyun huffs, placing his first aid kit on the table. “You’re injured.”

 

Sehun looked baffled and Baekhyun reached out for his left shoulder where the scrape is. “Here.”

 

“Oh. It must be because I fell on the asphalt harshly because someone doesn’t follow traffic lights religiously. Not only that I have an injury, my new baby was awfully dented because it crashed on a post.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes with the silver hair’s mocking and started pouring alcohol on his cotton ball to clean the wound. His mind forgot that it would badly sting and he only realized he made a mistake when Sehun screamed.

 

“yah!” the silver haired shouted, retrieving his arm. There was a glint on the corner of his eyes and Baekhyun felt back because he made him tear up. “Forget it! I can clean this on my own at home.”

 

“I’m sorry –“ the shorter panics, putting out the correct solution to use to clean the wound. “Let me try again! I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I remember I didn’t do anything for you. This is my first time to use this too.”

 

“What am I a guinea pig you can test?” At first, Sehun was hesitant to give his arm back to Baekhyun and he’s probably weirded but the puppy eyes the shorter gave him moved his heart. The shorter’s pleas worked on the silver haired man.

 

Baekhyun managed not to hurt Sehun the second time and successfully cleaned the latter’s wound by betadine. Sehun was suddenly quiet as he watched the shorter dabbed a cream on it using his fingers. He has a heavy hand despite of his graciousness and Baekhyun’s apologetic every time the silver haired man winced in pain.

 

“What the hell are you applying on me?” Sehun asked curiously, looking intently at the focused Baekhyun. He might’ve gawked a little on the shorter’s small face and noticed that despite of being a trouble to him, he’s actually cute whenever his nose twitches when he knows he’s hurting him.

 

Sehun became problematic because how can he even get angry with this person? It gravely guilts him too when the shorter cowers immediately after he raises his voice and all he could do was to sigh his frustration.

 

“It’s antibiotic cream to reduce risk of infections.” The shorter smiled and gazed at Sehun who was already staring right back at him. “Why?” he asked, surprisingly.

 

“N-nothing.” Sehun stuttered, putting his attention back to his food. The commoner doesn’t know what to say anymore and stayed quiet on his place.

*****

As soon as Chanyeol finished his lab duties with Jongdae, the first thing he did was to drop by Junmyeon’s office because the elder told him to come.

 

Usually, Junmyeon was straight to the point but it gave the prince a scare to only get a message asking him to drop by as soon as he can. After changing to formal clothes in their locker area, he meets with Im Jinah, a fellow doctor in the general surgery department on his way. She’s a nice senior who usually ask help from him when it comes to her thesis.

 

It’s not a big deal since Chanyeol’s resources are from Cambridge and it’s better to use if you want to ace your research. Letting her borrow his books is an easy thing to do.

 

Since he’s in a rush, he let her know that he’ll just send what she’s needing from him later that evening.

 

Ever since he started learning from the residents of Seoul University Hospital, Jinah never failed to show her interest on him to the extent that she asks him out for lunch. He wasn’t surprised with the boldness of the lady since there’s a lot of ladies like that in Cambridge. They work well together but Chanyeol doesn’t find himself being all friendly with her.

 

When he reached Junmyeon’s office, the first thing he did was to sip on the iced coffee on the elder’s table. He ran all the way and he couldn’t really fetch his own cup of water anymore.

 

Junmyeon stared at Chanyeol, scandalized because he knows Chanyeol disliked sharing drinks when he’s still younger and seeing the prince naturally sip on his drink is a new thing for him.

 

“Can I see Baekhyun’s results so I can go home?” the prince asked, smiling as he sat beside the doctor. “I bet you and Yoora will go out for dinner too so doing this fast is a win-win for the both of us.”

“Nah. Yoora cancelled that’s why I’m sulking.” Junmyeon snatches his drink from the younger’s hand and sighed deeply.

Chanyeol finds it pitiful that Yoora always cancel their dinner date for blue house duties but it’s a good thing Junmyeon is kind and supportive enough to let her go without a fit. The prince thought love is going on between the two and it’s really cute to witness. “Look here.” The doctor told him, Baekhyun’s healthy and his body is actually capable of bearing a baby inside him but it will be difficult.”

 

“Why? High FSH?”

 

“Yeah. Extremely.”

 

“I researched about it, actually.” Chanyeol mumbles, looking at Baekhyun’s blood test on his hand. “FSH levels can change annually but Baekhyun’s are extremely high...”

 

“I know right? I researched ways on how we can do something about his condition because the crown princess will kill me if I wouldn’t propose anything for your fiancé but success lowering of FSH rarely happens.” Junmyeon cries. “I really hate delivering negative news. I was so worried of Baekhyun earlier. He looked badly shocked”

 

The prince bit his lip thinking what Baekhyun had gone through all alone earlier. His people always talk about how excited they are for kids, hinting “What can we do for now?”

 

“For now, I’ve given him vitamins, advised him to get proper sleep and avoid stress, listed zinc-rich foods he should eat and also “the older took a big paper bag under his desk and handed it to Chanyeol. The prince curiously peeked inside the bag and saw silver packets “this drink is yuck but it help boost his fertility.”

 

“Hyung, is this cucumber juice?” the prince asked, reading out loud the first thing he saw on the packaging. He tore out one so he can taste it too and regretted his decision. He only took a sip and instantly pulled a disgusted face. “Baekhyun can't drink this. This is torture.”

 

“Do not even dirty my floor.” Junmyeon warned, giving him a sharp look. “He has to bear with this for now. I also need you to change your eating habits.”

 

Chanyeol gave the doctor a confused look and kept on drinking the juice he opened despite of the feeling that he might already cry with the taste of it. “Ha? What for?”

 

“What? Teamwork makes the dream work. You think Baekhyun’s the only one who has to work hard? We have to get your be in good shape too that’s why, try your best not to skip your meals and eat healthy foods, too. Also, add pineapple in your diet.” he winked and the prince just rolled his eyes at him.

 

Right after his meeting with Baekhyun’s doctor, Chanyeol rushed to the universities parking area so that he can come home and comfort Baekhyun.

 

For sure, his small fiancé definitely got sad after hearing the news or worse, disappointed to himself because he knew how his folks showed excitement about their future kids.

 

Knowing Baekhyun, Chanyeol’s gut tells him that his small fiancé’s he’s feeling accountable for not being able to be fertile at the moment.

The prince wasn’t particularly rushing for a family. He doesn't think of that yet but the news saddened him a little bit, yet, there’s nothing else they could do at the moment but to wait and do everything they can to be healthy. Baekhyun could improve the next year.

 

“Yah! Chanyeol!”

 

The prince was stopped in getting inside his car and was surprised to see Yewon running towards his direction. By the looks of it, she’s already finished for her today’s duties and classes, too. As usual, Chanyeol didn’t say anything and let his friend tell him what she needs.

 

But instead of a conversation, the lady grabbed his both hands and inspected it. “It’s really negative.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

Giving back his hands, Yewon gave his shin a fair kick all of a sudden. He almost cursed at the lady but it’s a good thing that he’s not the type to cuss. “What was that for?”

 

“How could you??”

 

The prince was beyond dumbfounded on why Yewon kicked him. She’s not very hostile when it comes to anyone not Jongdae and surely, he didn’t do anything that can make her mad like that. “What did I do?”

 

“That is for giving Baekhyun a hard time!” Yewon scowled, giving him another kick on his other shin. “and that’s for – for – I don’t know. I like making things even.”

 

Chanyeol had to look up to give Yewon a questioning look as he crouched down and tried his best to suppress the pain by his hands. “Please tell me a valid reason why do I need to be kicked ruthlessly like this? What did I do to Baekhyun?”

 

“Ask yourself why our colleagues kept on pursuing you despite the fact that you already established the fact that you’re engaged. I thought you’re the smartest but I guess people from Cambridge are pretty dense. How shameful.” Not giving Chanyeol a chance to clarify things, Yewon already walked away and left the prince with a confusing question inside his head.

 

The drive on his way to the palace was filled with the image of his small fiancé dreading over the checkup he had for the day and the reason why Yewon was angry at him. He didn’t even had to spend a whole day inside the hospital to call it a rough day because the thoughts running inside his head is too much already, it wearies him. He’s hesitant to ask Baekhyun if ever he did something that disappointed him because he doubts the younger would tell him.

 

He hoped dinner with the crown princess and the King would somehow go by smoothly and easy for Baekhyun despite of the news they got for that day.

 

Turns out that the gods were probably favoring him that day because the moment he arrived home, he was greeted by Cheol excitedly. The puppy who’s grown bigger and fatter was wagging his tail as he barked at him in a high pitched tone.

 

“Hey little rascal, have you been well?” Chanyeol felt like the pup would behave and lifted him up from the floor. He earned few from the puppy that somehow lessened his tiredness. Few palace maids greeted him and helped him with his belongings. “Where’s Baekhyun?” he asked one of the palace maid who had her head bowed down.

 

“Baekhyun-nim is at the kitchen, preparing the food for you, with her highness.”

 

“Mom?”

“Yes, Prince.”

 

After telling the palace maids that they can rest already because he doesn’t need anything, he immediately went to the kitchen and saw the mess on the table and two lovely figures working in front of the stove, trying to shield themselves from the splurging oil from the frying pan.

 

Chanyeol knows his body was tired that he rested himself on the wall as he watch Baekhyun and his mother laugh together while they try to turn of the stove. They already finished cooking almost four dishes as it was plated on the dining table already.

 

It’s the first time he witnessed his mother screamed mindlessly as the both shielded themselves from the hot oil flying out the pan. Baekhyun looked happy and alright unlike what he thought earlier but he still couldn’t be at ease.

 

He only got noticed when Cheol barked and it caught Baekhyun’s attention. His commoner fiancé turned around, wearing a nice blue sweater and sweatpants and smiled at him. His brain must've been making things up but Chanyeol thought for a second that Baekhyun’s smile were pained.

 

“Highness!” Baekhyun exclaimed, making the crown princess turn to look at him as well.

 

“Chan!”

 

“Why is this place so messy?” Chanyeol kids, placing Cheol down on the floor and walked towards them. He stood beside Baekhyun was the one who turned the stove off for the two.

 

“A life savior!” Mrs. Park cries, hiding behind him while his small fiancé looked awkwardly frozen. After giving his mother a quick kiss on the cheek, he immediately face Baekhyun who thought he already had the chance to distance himself from him. He was quick enough to get a hold of the younger’s wrist.

 

“Now that you’re here. Let me tell the King that dinner’s going to be ready soon.” The crown princess winks at Baekhyun, making it obvious that she’s making a way for them to have privacy.

 

“Thanks mom.” Chanyeol mumbles, frowning at Baekhyun because he doesn’t like it when the smaller tries to evade him. The crown princess left with the puppy in her arms.

 

When it’s sure that they’re already alone, Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun to stand closely in front of him.

 

“Highness.” Baekhyun gulps nervously, not looking at the prince. “I – I..”

 

“I’m home.” Chanyeol grins, closing the space between them with a bear like embrace. He buried his face on the Baekhyun’s shoulder and s his arms around the small body easily.

Baekhyun smelt nice like he just came out from the shower, making Chanyeol’s strained muscles relax.

He smelt exactly like home.

There’s always a comforting feeling bubbling inside Baekhyun whenever the prince hugs him. The embrace he was receiving was extremely making him feel better despite of the over thinking he did that day.

 

In the prince’ arm, Baekhyun discarded the thought that they don’t have engagement rings and the fact that it will be a problem for him to carry the future generation of the royal family.

 

“I’m –“

 

“Don’t apologize if it’s about your checkup.” The prince whispers, tightening his hug and Baekhyun sighed the frustration piling up in him.

 

“That’s what the crown princess told me as soon as I arrive.”

 

“Because you don’t have to apologize for it.” The prince broke the embrace to cup Baekhyun’s face in his hand. “Don’t feel pressured, okay?”

 

Baekhyun nodded, trying to smile for the prince.

When he came home, he wasn’t expecting the crown princess to smother him with hugs, telling him that she knows. Mrs. Park was worried the moment Dr. Kim relayed the check up to her. The commoner was sort of worried about how he would tell the crown princess and what Dr. Kim did somehow helped Baekhyun to breathe a little clearer.

“I also lost my lab results and I was scolded for that by the crown princess.” The smaller pouted, making Prince Chanyeol smile.

 

“What are we going to do with you?” Chanyeol chuckles, cooing Baekhyun to make him smile. How could he lose it? It doesn’t matter. What’s important is that Baekhyun is still with them. “Hey. You know that I’m not smart, right?”

 

“You are the brightest person I know, actually.”

 

“Academic wise, yes. But do you think I’m dense?”

 

Baekhyun gave him a long stare of confusion. “Dense?”

 

“I may not be aware that I’m giving you a hard time – so maybe I am really dense but you’ll tell me if something’s bothering you that involves me, right?”

 

Chanyeol knows he hit something inside Baekhyun because it made the smaller quiet but Baekhyun then flashed at smile at him, assuring him that he did nothing wrong.

 

It confused Chanyeol because Yewon wouldn’t throw a fit if there isn’t a basis. Baekhyun must’ve been trying to hide it from him.

 

“Okay.” Chanyeol smiled back, grabbing Baekhyun’s hand to plant each a soft kiss.

 

And then Yewon’s words hit him when he saw how delicate yet plain Baekhyun’s hands are.

 

“Ask yourself why our colleagues kept on pursuing you despite the fact that you already established the fact that you’re engaged.

 

A ring.

Chanyeol felt like a bucket of cold water was poured onto him as he realized that they don’t have any symbol of their engagement. He didn’t think of it as something important before since he was bombarded of academic and princely duties.

 

“I’ll do something about it.” The prince mumbled against Baekhyun’s hand which made the younger have a questioning look on his face. “By the way, Dr. Kim gave something to help us. You’ll know later.”

 

All throughout the dinner, it’s normal that the prince sits quietly beside Baekhyun.

 

The King praised the both for successfully cooking without burning down the Hwa House. It was delightful to just listen to them talk casually and Chanyeol commends Baekhyun for making the atmosphere lighter around the house. Ever since he came and lived with the royalties, the heavy topics were mostly talked in private.

 

Chanyeol felt like he’s living with normal people already.

 

“Highness.” Baekhyun tugged on him slyly as the King and the crown princess talked about Yoora’s relationship with Junmyeon that they don’t disapprove but it bothers them that Yoora doesn’t look like she has plan on settling already. “I’m full already.”

 

What Baekhyun whispered didn’t stopped the prince from putting more food on the younger’s plate. He was too focused on making Baekhyun eat healthily. He reached for Baekhyun’s face and wiped the corner of his mouth using his thumb with a smile. “One more serving then I’m letting you go.”

Baekhyun was aware that the prince became extra caring and understanding with him after his checkup and he’s beyond thankful that the King and the crown princess didn’t seem to mind his situation at the moment.

They told him that it might be early for them to get excited but Baekhyun can’t feel at ease.

 

He can’t stop thinking that it might be a problem for them if he can never improve and sadly couldn’t give a child. Their relationship was only bounded by arrangement. It’s not like it can’t be broken off because the royal family has a goal of continuing the Park monarch.

 

An heir is important.

 

Baekhyun kept quiet until it was time for bed. The elders noticed his lack of enthusiasm and it was Chanyeol who asked him to go up first to rest inside his room. The prince asked to wait for him before going to sleep.

 

It made Baekhyun nervous that he cannot stop phasing to and fro inside his room for no exact reason. He heard the crown princess invited the King for tea after their dinner and Chanyeol must have heard it too and decided to join.

 

He was already biting on his nails when somebody knocked on his door. The commoner quickly ran and opened the door, surprised to see the prince with a big paper bag on his hand and a saucer of nicely cut apples on the other.

 

The prince gracefully sat down on the edge of his bed and Baekhyun quietly followed. “Your room looks neat.” He comments with a smile on his face. Unlike when they’re still living at the apartment near the university, it became a rare thing for the prince to visit his room.

 

Baekhyun managed to study on his own already but most of the time, when he has questions, it was Kyungsoo that he asked for since the prince looked really occupied with his loads in the university. “I wonder why I feel like I missed coming in your room to chill.”

 

“You were busy.”

 

“I’m here during nights but you never invited me to teach you.” The prince had a cute grin on his face Baekhyun can feel that good swarming of butterflies inside his stomach again. “Am I not needed anymore?”

 

“It’s not like that. I just think that it’s better to let you rest when you are at home.” Baekhyun mumbled to himself and heard the prince laugh. “What’s with the paper bag, your highness?”

 

“This is your nightmare.” He teases and Baekhyun missed the playful prince a lot. The look he always sees from the taller at the university was his agitated look and he only plays around when he’s around the house. The commoner looked inside the paper bag on his lap and grimaced when he pulls out a packet.

 

“Cu-cucumber juice.”

 

“I want you to drink at least three packets a day.”

 

“But why???” Baekhyun cries and couldn’t believe that the prince looked like he’s liking his reactions. “Ah, Prince Chanyeol!”

 

Chanyeol kept on laughing as he opened one for Baekhyun. “It’ll help you, Baek. Try one.”

 

The smell made Baekhyun distant himself from the prince. He never liked cucumber. He could eat anything but not that cursed vegetable. He could never stand it. “Highness. Why cucumber?”

 

“It would be better if it’s strawberry, right?” Chanyeol replies, as if he was able to read Baekhyun’s mind. He took a sip and gave a sound of distaste. “It’s Junmyeon-hyung who told me that this can actually help you with your hormones. If I could give you something else, I’d do it. I know you hate cucumbers.”

 

The commoner took the drink and bravely tried it. He shouldn’t complain if he doesn’t want to be a problem in the future, however, he cannot help but to pull a disgusted look on his face upon having a taste of his juice. He wasn’t able hold his cough and tears coming out.

 

“I knew you’d be like this.” The prince tried to hold his laugh as he wiped the tear under the younger’s eyes. Baekhyun continued sipping his drink despite of his want to puke because he knows he should follow the prince without saying anything. “You make me proud, Baek.”

 

“Eh?”

 

Chanyeol just smiled, his hand rested on the younger’s cheek.

 

People may see Baekhyun as someone weak but Chanyeol was a witness on how the younger has been good on dealing things all by himself. He doesn’t bother people and try to solve it within himself first.

 

Within the months that they’ve been together, there might be times Baekhyun gets into trouble but it’s not like he’s the one who started it. The younger proved that he can overcome anything, even the things he hated and feared the most.

 

Just like the horrible cucumber juice.

 

“Give me that.” Chanyeol said, taking the juice from Baekhyun. He noticed that Baekhyun managed to finish half of it and that’s enough for that night. “I’ll finish it for you tonight. You’ve done really well, Baekhyun. Thank you.”

 

The prince stayed with Baekhyun for about an hour more because Cheol wanted to play with them. The puppy somehow grew friendly with him already but still gets feisty when he comes near Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun appreciated receiving that thank you and comfort from the prince. It’s enough for him to sleep with a happy and content heart.

 

The commoner promised to do his best for the Prince and face the next day without worries.

*****

Chanyeol started his Monday working in the laboratory with Jongdae as usual. It’s scheduled for them to watch surgery videos and jot down the processes done on it as part of their term paper and the prince couldn’t help but to notice how sleepy his partner it. “It’s a Monday, Jongdae.”

 

The latter yawns loud and made stretching to make himself awake but then he went back on planting his face on their text book. “I never liked it.”

The prince doesn’t particularly think Jongdae’s slacking since he knows he’s juggling work aside from med school and he knows how hard it was for his friend. “If you trust me enough, then sleep.”

 

Jongdae looked surprised and awake when Chanyeol subtly took the job for the both of them. “Would you really??”

 

The prince nods, eyes focused on the screen and was startled when he felt Jongdae hugging him.

 

“You’re too nice, ahh, Chanyeol! Thank you! Thank you!”

 

“You’re heavy.” Chanyeol complained, trying to pry Jongdae away from him since he cannot concentrate. “Ah. I have a question.”

 

“Don’t ask me about academics please. And I’m broke so don’t even try to ask me if you can borrow money.”

 

“No.” Chanyeol laughs, pausing the video he’s watching to look at Jongdae. “Do you know a good jeweler based in Seoul?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Just wondering.” The prince answered because he doesn’t want anyone to know that he’s going to give Baekhyun an engagement ring. He knows someone but the person was based in Cambridge and he actually wanted to give Baekhyun a ring as soon as possible.

 

“Well, there are some shops in Gangnam, I think. Want to check on it later?”

 

“Yeah. That could help my friend.” Chanyeol lied, and Jongdae was quick to let go of the topic because the latter prioritized his sleep more than anything else. It wasn’t that long when their professor barged inside the room, preventing Chanyeol from finishing their work.

 

“There you are. I’ve been looking for the both of you – and why is Kim Jongdae sleeping?”

 

Chanyeol stood up from his place to greet the professor and managed to wake Jongdae up at the same time so that they could give their greeting.

 

“What brings you here, Professor?”

 

“I need you to babysit someone for me for a while.”

With the mention of babysitting, it meant that they’re free of school works for that day because there’s a new student who needs proper knowledge on how a normal med student operates in Seoul University. Chanyeol and Jongdae are both sent to the director’s office to meet with the new student that will be joining their class.

 

The prince thinks the student is a bit late for the second semester and he’ll have a lot of papers to catch up. So far, they have three research papers finished. What he and Jongdae doing earlier was the fourth paper for the term and because they are already grouped in the class, the new student will have to do the paper on his own.

 

When they arrived at the lounge of the director’s office, they were greeted by the secretary and the new student who look uninterested in meeting them.

 

He stood as tall as the prince, making Jongdae offended for being shorter again and he’s easy to notice because of his silver hair matching his pale skin.

 

The new student is definitely a stand out.

 

It was a good thing that he was the one who approached them first. “Tall one is Chanyeol.” He said, looking at the prince and they sort of had a staring contest before he moves his gaze towards Jongdae “and Jongdae is –“

 

“Dude, don’t even mention the word short or we won’t be friends.” Jongdae cuts him, making the new student laugh.

 

Chanyeol stayed quiet and watched the silver haired student give Jongdae a friendly pat on the shoulder. It’s good that he’s good in making acquaintance unlike him who always have a hard time giving a good impression to all of the people he met.

 

“No, no. I won’t! I’m Oh Sehun by the way.” The prince had locked eyes with him again and he’s not aware that he’s frowning again until Jongdae pointed it out, saying that his frowning face is a default face the new student shouldn’t take personal.

“It’s fine. That makes Chanyeol unique.” the new student complimented

 

“We should show him around the hospital, what do you think, Chanyeol?” Jongdae suggested and Chanyeol agreed. Giving him a breath of fresh air might give him a little motivation once he learns the catching up he’ll do.

 

Jongdae was the one leading their small group and they’ve visited few AV rooms and laboratories usually frequented by the first years. It was also Jongdae who asked about what med school Sehun originally came from.

 

“I came from Verona but I had to move back in Korea.”

 

The new student told them that it’s a big family matter that’s why he dropped out on his previous school to enroll in Seoul University. It’s a good thing that his credentials and GPA convinced the board of directors to accept him.

 

“Woah? You’re like Chanyeol huh?” Jongdae exclaimed, nudging Chanyeol on his side who was listening carefully to them. “This giant had to go home and cancel his application in the biggest med school in Cambridge because of the same reason. If I were in your place I’ll pursue it. You have dream med schools on your path already. I think it’s a waste.”

Sehun awkwardly scratched the back of his head and looked a little bit regretful. “I know but what can I say? It’s family we’re talking about here. I don’t have any choice.”

And for some reasons, Chanyeol related to their new classmate.

 

During lunch, Jongdae had to leave them because he forgot that he had to meet with Yewon for another research. Sehun told him that he should go with it because he still has Chanyeol with him that can accompany him and survive the day.

The prince doesn’t have any problem with that too, but he feels that Sehun might bore himself coming along with him. He’s not a humorous talker like Jongdae.

 

“I’m sort of starving.” Sehun announced, looking at Chanyeol. “Dude, if I frown like that everyone’s scared of me but you are quite of a celebrity.”

 

The prince frowned, straining his facial features again. He wasn’t able to understand what Sehun meant and it’s a help that the new student motioned him to look around. There, he saw few ladies gushing not far from where they stand and few students sitting at the covered walk looking at him with curiosity.

 

“Cafeteria food or restaurant?” Chanyeol asked, changing the topic and continued walking while Sehun tried to catch up on him. He might have a bad reputation for purposely glaring at people to make them uninterested but it’s fine than receiving too much attention.

His phone buzzed on his pocket and made him slow down to look at his phone. Chanyeol saw a message from Baekhyun and hoped his new classmate would prefer the cafeteria.

 

I drank one packet! >w< eat well, Highness!

“I prefer cheap food.” The new student chuckled, stopping Chanyeol from smiling after reading his small fiance’s message because he can imagine Baekhyun’s small face giving a disgusted look. “I had to bring my motorcycle at the repair shop and paid too much that what I allotted.”

 

“Why?” he asked, trying to sustain their communication too.

 

“Just by thinking about that dummy makes my headache.” Sehun looked like he wanted to pull all of his hair and the prince can already feel the frustration of the silver haired guy. “My motorcycle was brand new and I was off in testing it but short dummy – he’s a student here in Seoul University by the way – crossed the road without checking the traffic lights. I’m broke.”

 

“Rough day.”

“Dude that was my first day.”

 

“I had an accident on my first day too but it turns out that something good comes afterwards.”

 

Chanyeol unconsciously smiled and it made the new student raise his brow. “You’re the only person I met that can smile after an unfortunate accident happened.”

“It’s just someone accidentally spilled juice on my clothes on my day of the interview. It’s not something big like yours though.”

 

Sehun groans.

“I really can’t stand thoughtless people but it’s a good thing short dummy helped me bail out the police station or I’ll be damned.”

 

“The person who spilled juice on my clothes had washed it afterwards – anyway, it’s cheaper to eat at the cafeteria.” Chanyeol directed. Sehun’s face lightened up instantly with mention of cheap food and his own with the thought of meeting Baekhyun by chance.

 

The university cafeteria was then again filled by students filling their stomachs up to survive the busy day. Chanyeol lead the new student so he can chose from the large variety of menu the cooks prepared. The prince was looking around the area, trying to find his small fiancé amidst the sea of students but eventually gave up when Sehun pulled him in the arm because he’s blocking the other students to pick their food by dozing off.

 

“Looking for someone?” Sehun asked him with his tray filled of food that could also cost if they ate at the restaurant near the university.

 

The prince was amazed because it’s as if he can read minds of people. “Are you only going to eat that?” he asked again and the prince nodded as he took three triangle kimbbap from the vending machine. It was Baekhyun who he always sees eating it and it’s the first time he tried it.

And it must be that Sehun’s already used to his silence that the new student shrug and sat down to eat his food. He was practically inhaling all of the food he got.

 

The prince was actually minding his own because he’s been ruining the triangle kimbbap’s as he opened one. It looked easy when Baekhyun do it and it really frustrated him. He had no choice but to eat a ruined kimbbap and Sehun slightly made fun of it.

 

Since Sehun was inhaling his food, it didn’t take a whole hour for them to finish eating. The new student kept on talking about his first week in Korea as he munched on his food happily. Sehun told Chanyeol how he really disliked being alone in his apartment and added it was a good thing that he made acquaintance with them.

 

Chanyeol believes Sehun could easily befriend anyone in their block because of his bright and confident personality.

 

When they finished, they immediately vacated their table because there are still a lot of students trying to find a place. “Where are we going next, Chanyeol?”

 

Jongdae actually prepared an itinerary for Sehun and Chanyeol had to check his phone first before he could answer his classmate. It took him a couple of minutes to open Jongdae’s message because his internet connection got faulty and because of it, he didn’t know the person he’s been wishing to see entered the cafeteria.

 

“Yah! Shorty!”

 

Chanyeol’s attention was then pinned to the new classmate he has standing beside him, waving excitedly. He followed where Sehun was looking and couldn’t believe to see that the person the silver haired was waving at was none other than Baekhyun with Minseok.

 

They looked as equally as surprised as him.

“That was the dummy I’m telling you earlier.” Sehun snickered, pulling him to where Baekhyun is. There were a lot of questions forming inside his head. He wasn’t aware that he’s scowling already for knowing that Baekhyun got into trouble again and his commoner fiancé didn’t bother tell him.

 

His glares were sharp when he thinks of it and the way Sehun gets friendly with him added sourly to his mood.

 

“You look exceptionally ordinary with your uniform!” Sehun teases but Baekhyun was frozen on his spot. “Greet me, alright?”

 

“Who’s he?” Minseok asked out of curiosity and greeted him whey they had an eye contact

 

“Uh – Uh – he’s uhm…” Baekhyun stuttered, nervously looking at him then back to an expectant Sehun.

 

Chanyeol looked unreadable and waited for Baekhyun to answer but Sehun was the one who answered instead. “I’m Sehun. His friend.”

 

“Since when did we became friends??” Baekhyun retorted, raising a brow at the silver haired guy. “You don’t like me back when –“ the commoner glanced at Chanyeol again and stopped midway on what he’s going to say. “W-why are you here?”

 

“This is a place open to all the university students, Byun Baekhyun and I’m a student of Seoul University therefore that makes me eligible to use this place, just like you.”

 

“What do you need?”

“Why does it feel like you don’t want to see me, huh? I’m trying to make peace with you.”

 

Baekhyun was tensed and Chanyeol can't understand why he feels something ticking inside him to know that his fiancé is friends with Sehun.

 

He might have been triggered when he knew Baekhyun didn’t tell him that he almost got hit before.

 

“Ah. I forgot about my classmate – “ Sehun’s glanced at him. “Should we go now?”

 

“Yeah.” He says dryly, not sparing a glance at Baekhyun anymore. He didn’t see the dejected look Baekhyun had on his face by doing so. “We should.”

 

“See you around, shorty.” Sehun reached for Baekhyun’s head and patted it teasingly. “By the way, you left an envelope after leaving so urgently last time.”

 

“Please give it back to me!”

 

“Unless you treat me something again – then I will give it back to you.”

Chanyeol was the first to turn his back and the first to leave. What he knew and witnessed put him to a big bad mood for the rest of the day but no one noticed it.

 

No one but Baekhyun, who already know by heart when he’s in a bad mood or not.

*****

Baekhyun couldn’t sleep no matter how many times he tried to stop thinking about what had happened earlier at the school cafeteria. He’s been tossing and turning, finding a comfortable position to sleep. The dinner he had with the King was awfully quiet, it was noticeable because the Prince informed them that he’ll be helping a classmate for his research papers with Jongdae.

 

The King asked him what’s the reason of his sulking but the commoner reasoned that it was just his upset stomach.

 

He can remember the way the prince scowled at him but he wasn’t quite sure why. Meeting Oh Sehun in the university cafeteria was a shock and knowing that he’s acquainted with the prince made him dumbstruck, stuttering on answering question and forgetting to even greet the Prince. The night was quiet, giving him more reason to replay what had happened. He was exhausting all of the reason why the prince looked angry.

 

Minseok, being his best friend, shared the same gloominess he has for the rest of the day. The elder reasoned that it’s automatic for friends to be burdened together than letting the other do it alone. “Isn’t he normally frowning?” that’s what his best friend initially thought but soon he realized that if Chanyeol wasn’t mad, he would tell the new guy that he knows Baekhyun.

 

But no, he didn’t.

Amidst his thinking, he could hear the door of the prince’s room opening. He quickly jumped out of his bed and went to his door because he’s sure, the prince already arrived home. He glanced at the clock near him and saw it’s already past two in the morning.

 

What he didn’t understand about himself is that he was just a turn of his door knob in asking the prince what’s the problem but he lacked the confidence and courage in doing so. He gets hurt when the prince choose to not look at him.

 

But then he hears Minseok wailing inside his head. >Nothing will move forward in your relationship with him if you kept on getting scared for speaking up.

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath and quickly opened his door, shocked to death to see the prince standing in front of his door. “H-hi-highness!” he croaked as he felt his chest trying to contain his outrageous heartbeats. It concerned him when he noticed the prince’s reddening face. “A-are you sick?”

 

It took the prince a minute to reply to the younger’s question. He was staring at Baekhyun, and was equally shocked to know he’s still awake. When the younger didn’t have an answer, he reached his hand to the taller’s forehead and checked his temperature.

 

“You’re not sick.” The smaller mumbled to himself. “Have you eaten?”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

There was a shiver on his spine when he heard the calm yet exhausted voice of the prince but he’s still not getting what he’s talking about. “Highness… I… don’t know what you’re talking about…”

 

“Getting hit by Sehun.” He replied. “Why.. Didn’t you tell me…”

 

“I –“

 

“I don’t like it when I hear things from other people when you should’ve said it to me in the first place.”

“I don’t have any excuse.” The younger bowed his head apologetically. “I chose not to tell you because I know you have a lot on your plate and I don’t want to worry anyone after knowing that I am impossible to bear a grandchild for your parents. That’s why I kept it to myself. Besides, I wasn’t injured so there’s no reason to bother everyone? I settled it on my own and nothing bad happened. Sehun didn’t intimidate me even if I brought him inconvenience. ”

Baekhyun felt ten times heavier when he heard the prince sighed and was afraid to look at the prince because he knows the elder was disappointed with what he said.

 

“You’re right.” Chanyeol whispered and it was apparent in his voice that he’s tired but his brain managed to process what came into the younger’s mind on why he didn’t tell it.

 

He was slowly understanding it and realized Baekhyun’s reason was just because he’s also looking out for his family and doesn’t want to worry them again. “I want to apologize with how I acted earlier.”

 

“No- no – what happened earlier is fine –“

“Please let me tell you why I’m apologizing, Baek.” Chanyeol took Baekhyun’s hand in his and gave it a squeeze. “I’m sorry that I was childish.”

 

“Highness –“

 

“I think it was wrong of me not to tell Sehun that I know you when we’re at the cafeteria. I’m sorry. I realized that it was rude of me. I shouldn’t had ignored you on purpose.”

 

Despite of being calm and unlike how most people sees him as someone perfect, Chanyeol knows he got not so good attitude as well.

 

He’s really not the person Baekhyun sees him.

 

He’s greedy with the people he welcomed in his life. He easily gets jealous and when he gets annoyed, he wouldn’t give a damn to anyone, even the closest people in his life. He knows he should be supporting Baekhyun in making friends but he can’t bear that someone can be closer to Baekyun than him.

 

Baekhyun mumbled something but Chanyeol failed to hear it because of his thought. “I’m sorry, Baek? Can you repeat that?”

 

Baekhyun asked for a hug because of a reason he really doesn’t know. He just wanted to be held after a long day by the person who gives him strength. His mouth spoke what his heart wanted despite of his brain disagreeing to voice it out and he knows it was embarrassing that he can’t even dare look at the prince anymore.

 

“W-what? Wait? Hug? Is that it?” Chanyeol was flustered when Baekhyun nodded, then without further thoughts, opened his arms wide and gave a big grin to the younger. “Reconciliation hug?”

 

The commoner didn’t hesitate to go and close the gap he have with the prince. Baekhyun instantly breathes in the prince’ distinct lemony scent as he wrapped his arms around the taller’s waist tightly. Chanyeol had the habit to rest his face on the smaller’s shoulder and it may seem uncomforting on his part to bend his back lowly but it’s not. His bad mood slowly disappears as he took time embracing Baekhyun’s small figure. “This is a reconciliation hug. I really don’t want to fight with you.”

 

“You have to remember that I don’t see you as a burden, Baekhyun. Can you promise to tell me everything from now on?”

 

“I’m afraid you might get angry with me if I get into trouble like that.”

 

“I won’t be angry with you but I might lecture you. I get worried too, you know.” They looked at each other and Chanyeol can’t help but to poke the smaller on the tip of its nose. “I deserve a date tomorrow.”

 

“I like that.” Baekhyun smiled widely. Only the prince can make him cheer up in just a snap of the finger. He promised to himself that he wouldn’t keep secrets from him anymore.

*****

Minseok can see that Baekhyun is back on being his usual self the next day. The elder can see how his eyes shine as he smiled to almost everything. He knew already that they made up and he thinks it’s really funny that Chanyeol and Baekhyun couldn’t last a day being distant with each other.

In his opinion, he sees Chanyeol as a very territorial person and he couldn’t stand seeing Baekhyun all friendly with other people. Minseok knows it personally because he experienced the hostility Chanyeol has inside him when they’re still not getting along pretty well and thinks of him as a potential threat. The elder thinks that Chanyeol has issues in dealing with his jealousy but he thinks it’s healthy because he seems like the type who would woo Baekhyun in the end and he’s quick to admit his mistake.

 

Baekhyun checked his phone and he feels like the day goes by slowly when he’s looking forward toward a special occasion and his older friend noticed that he looked uneasy after checking his phone. “Why are you always checking your phone?”

 

“I want to be done for today.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter