four

what's better than i love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day of Baekhyun’s discharge came and he felt like he’s been freed from prison. Yoora brought Cheol with her and the prince already arranged his papers.

 

Having the puppy brings so much entertainment to everyone. The puppy was free-willed and stubborn. It gets curious over things that fascinates him and ends up being in trouble. The first one was being entangled with Yoora’s charging cord.

 

Surprisingly, it was the prince who helped him. Everyone in the room was flabbergasted when the whining puppy suddenly become aggressive and started growling at Chanyeol.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” The prince frowned as he stares at the puppy in front of him. “I just helped you,” Chanyeol scoffs as if he were understood by the angry pup.

“Look, try showing Cheol to Baekhyun. Let’s see how he responds.” Yoora suggested as she arranged Baekhyun’s things in the bag.

Prince Chanyeol did as what he was told and placed the feisty puppy in front of Baekhyun.

There were two things that Baekhyun noticed. First, the prince’s hand was enough to get a hold of the puppy and it’s cute how he’s using both hands, as if he was carefully cradling it like a new born child. Second, Cheol’s growls turned into adorable mewls.

 

“Does he not like me?” Chanyeol, who was completely puzzled with the puppy’s behavior, asked Baekhyun.

“I don’t really have any idea, your highness.”

He tried to do it one more time but the puppy started to growl again. He even tried doing it again, but this time with Yoora and the puppy showed the same reactions

“Hey puppy –” Chanyeol grits his teeth. “I saved your life! If only I didn’t see you struggling –”

The prince was cut off from nagging at the poor puppy and it made Baekhyun curious. He stood up and went to ask the prince but was shocked to see Cheol peeing on the prince’s expensive clothes.

 

Baekhyun immediately took Cheol away from Chanyeol immediately because the prince had a look of disbelief on his face. He might have the idea of throwing their new puppy outside the windows.

 

After that peeing incident, Baekhyun never let Cheol come near the prince. Yoora had to no end. “And here I thought, Prince Chanyeol of Korea can charm anyone that breathes. Guess he isn’t as charming as I thought he can be.”

 

“This puppy really,” Chanyeol grits his teeth and Baekhyun was affected by it. He was scared but the feeling vanished when the prince flicked his nose teasingly. “It’s a good thing that the owner is a cutie. I can let this pass.”

 

 

When they got home, Baekhyun was really surprised when he stepped inside the house and noticed the fences installed on doors and the kitchen opening. It was for Cheol so he wouldn’t wander into places he’s not supposed to.

It warmed his heart when he learned that it was the prince who gave effort on doing it.

 

He had lots of things to do and think of but he still managed to spend time and his remaining energy for the dog. He was that kind of amazing.

 

“Thank you, your highness,” Baekhyun tugs on the Prince’s arm. “I’m sorry about the peeing.”

 

“Train him not to pee on tall people like me, okay?” he chuckles, inching his face really close to the younger. “I’m a decent man, not a lamp post,” he kids.

 

Baekhyun thought Chanyeol would hate Cheol but the prince still patted the puppy’s head, only to receive an aggressive growl again. Baekhyun’s heart fluttered when the prince just laughed it off.

 

He spent his day touring Cheol around the house, which the prince found entertaining. The black puppy follows Baekhyun wherever he goes and it looks like the commoner had imprinted on Cheol like how a mother hen would to its chicks. While the two played and ran around, Chanyeol built the mini dog house he asked Kyungsoo to buy for him. It required him to work outside the house because it needed to be carpentered.

 

When Cheol fell asleep for playing too much, Baekhyun decided to make sandwich and juice for the prince. He sees him with the sleeves of his shirt rolled up, exposing his toned arms. He was sweating really hard after finishing the dog house he was working on. “Hey.” The prince greeted him, lifting his shirt up to wipe the sweating on his forehead.

 

Ah. What a view, Baekhyun thought. Even the prince’s stomach had perfectly toned six pack. The commoner was dazed for a moment and was pulled back to reality when the prince flicked his forehead gently. “I was asking if that sandwich is mine, Baek.”

 

“Oh. Yes, your highness! I’m yours –” Baekhyun froze with what he said and blushed madly when the prince gave him a grin. “I mean – the sandwich is yours.”

 

“Thanks!” Chanyeol sat down on their porch as he took a sandwich from Baekhyun’s tray. “Come here. Sit with me.” He says, patting the place just beside him. It was a nice afternoon and it’s been a whole day that Baekhyun has been playing with the puppy.

 

Baekhyun followed and sat down inches apart from the prince. Even though he has been comfortable around the prince, there are times that he can still feel his heart raising with the older around. The silence was comfortable, though. He looks at the prince and was startled when he sees him staring already with the sandwich on his mouth.

 

“What do you think, Baek?” he asked, looking at the dog house he finished. “Cheol has to use this house because he can’t sleep with you in your room.”

 

“You’re very cool, your highness.” Baekhyun said in awe. “Thank you for thinking of me and Cheol... a lot.”

 

“Really? Am I really cool?” the prince sang, moving closer to Baekhyun. “Should I build more houses for him to be cooler?” he kids, brushing his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder like a child and it was a cute gesture. Just then, the prince plopped down and laid on the floor with his head on the younger’s lap.

 

“Your Highness!”

 

“Tired.” He mumbles, closing his eyes. Baekhyun didn’t know what to do and panics inside. The prince’s head was on his lap comfortably and he doesn’t have the heart to run. “Right now, you have a private viewing of the prince sleeping. Please enjoy.”

 

“I must be lucky?” Baekhyun added, making the prince smile smugly. He took time to admire the prince and thought something’s changing with them. A progress, perhaps?

 

“It’s good to be home… with you.” The prince mumbles as he drifted off to a nap.

 

What he said just made Baekhyun him fall in love deeper with him.

 

Chanyeol did felt the progress of their relationship as days went by, too.

 

******

Chanyeol’s credentials from Cambridge made the school director really see the potential in him in the medicine field and invited him to learn under resident doctors to hone him better. He was being exposed.

 

It must be a privilege and Chanyeol accepted the invitation. Jongdae, who became his friend, was invited as well and they were in a team with upperclassmen that gave them extra help with their med proper classes.

 

Despite of them being busy with university life, Baekhyun and Chanyeol still managed to grow closer to the point wherein they didn’t minded if they unconsciously invaded each other’s space. It has become easy for him to tell his thoughts to Baekhyun, too.

 

The skinships became normal, though not usual, too. It started when Chanyeol took a liking of teasing Cheol actually. When he has the time, he sees to it to give Baekhyun extra classes for English after dinner and it was noticeable that the puppy was being protective of Baekhyun. He wouldn’t stop barking at them whenever he leans closely towards Baekhyun when the latter was having a hard time understanding what was on the textbook. There’s an incident when it seems like Cheol paid back to all the teasing he did when got inside his room. The puppy made a mess, chewing everything inside – his shoes, his term paper, and the charger cord – everything essential in his university life.

 

Baekhyun may be in love with the puppy but he knew how what discipline is. The commoner wanted Cheol to be a good dog and if it meant that it break his heart whenever he shuts the poor puppy outside the house to learn his lesson.

As an apology to the prince, he cooks ramen for him since it’s a tiring day for the both of them and he learned that it was a comfort food for the elder.

Being a softhearted, Chanyeol will always be the one to open the house for the poor crying puppy. Cheol is a very cute puppy and he thinks it’s too much to be left outside.

 

“It smells nice.” Chanyeol hums as rested his face on the younger’s shoulder as he stood behind him. Cheol started barking madly at him again but Baekhyun didn’t spare a glance to his little sunshine. “You really are being cold to your puppy.”

 

“I have to. If I don’t, he’d go around and do it again. Cheol brought a great inconvenience for you in making a mess inside your room. Why did you let him in, your highness?”

 

Chanyeol took pity that’s why he let him in. There’s no other reason. He didn’t know what he’s chewing that’s why he overlooked it. “Just because, Baek.” He said, laughing. The prince crouched down and gave the puppy a snack to silence him.

 

“He’s only good to me when I give him food.”

 

“You are doting him.”

The prince shrugs and tried patting the puppy’s head but it ran towards Baekhyun, putting his two paws up on the younger’s leg. “He wants your attention.”

 

Baekhyun looks at him as he turns off the stove. “Eh?”

 

The puppy stops barking because Chanyeol wasn’t touching Baekhyun. He wanted to show his discovery to the younger that’s why he stood up and slipped his hand around Baekhyun’s waist.

 

“Look at him.” Chanyeol tells him, pulling the younger closer to his body. The act made Baekhyun feel the shiver on his back when he felt the prince’s tight embrace. Cheol instantly barked at them, running towards Chanyeol to make small bites on his ankle. “You still have a lot to grow to hurt me, Cheol-ah.”

 

“Aren’t you being childish?” Baekhyun giggled at the way the prince teased the puppy even more by sticking his tongue out.

 

“I’m not. He’s being protective of you. I’m not even a threat. Do you think he really sees me as a bigger dog that steals you from him? We can share!” the prince exclaimed and it really made Baekhyun chuckle. Yoora told that reason to him days ago when the puppy walked over him just to pee.

 

Baekhyun’s heart will really come out of his chest because of the Prince’s embrace. He likes it, yes, but it makes his head airy. “You have teased Cheol already, your highness. You can let go now so you can eat!”

 

But instead of letting go, Chanyeol tightened his embrace even more. “Let me just hug you.”

 

“B-but why?”

 

“I am charging myself. I had a rough day, it’s tiring.”

 

“Take a break, your highness.” Baekhyun says, facing the prince who really looked tired, it shows on his eyes. He’s been working nonstop with his extracurricular work and Baekhyun can always see that he’s giving his best in all the things he do just to learn everything in his field. He just doesn’t rest.

 

It’s a good thing that he is willing to learn but overworking can bring unwanted stress, too. Baekhyun thought this must how the prince lived back in Cambridge – trying to do all things at the same time like he’s some superhuman.

 

“A day off wouldn’t hurt right? You seemed to like the exposure you are getting but you should set a ‘me time’ to avoid burnout?”

 

Chanyeol was in dazed with what the younger told him. It’s true that he is enjoying the exposure along with Jongdae that he didn’t realize he’s drowning himself with his studies again.

 

He was like that when he was residing in Cambridge because Jongin was as busy as him, he needed something to do instead of staying idle.

 

However, he has Baekhyun already who’s consistently waiting for him to go home. He felt that it was unfair and stupid because his commoner fiancé who has been caring for him as well didn’t cross his mind until then.

 

Chanyeol had the chance to ask for a weekend with their supervisor during their team lunch at the university cafeteria. Usually, he gets dragged in fancy restaurants but that day was different. It has been a while and it’s a good thing because the place is surprisingly not filled with students.

 

“I don’t really appreciate this place, saengnim.” Yewon, one of his teammates who came from a rich family complained. She came from Chanyeol’s class as well. Jongdae likes calling their team Team Seven because it seemed like their trio resembled the said group from a famous anime.

 

“You’re free to go, you know.” Jongdae teased, making the only lady frown at him. “You’re only here because Chanyeol wanted jajjangmyeon as well.”

 

“I am not talking to you Kim Jongdae, shut it.” After rolling her eyes, she went ahead first with their Professor for her food.

 

“She really likes you.” Jongdae mumbles, nudging Chanyeol on his side. “She’s really pretty too but she speaks too much. Ahh! Park! Why do you always get the good types, really?” Jongdae whacks him on his arm and it’s just amusing to see him throw a fit. “You don’t even have the humor! Ah! I’m getting jealous!”

 

“Stop – my arm will fall off if you continue.” Chanyeol kids, and thought about how some of the med students took interest on him. He wasn’t the type to entertain all of these just because he’s not really interested in romantic relationships besides the fact that he is already engaged.

He has his focus on Baekhyun.

When brave colleagues confess their feelings to him, he sees to it that he rejects them properly.

 

When they were settled to eat, Yewon sees to it to that she has the place beside Chanyeol.

The prince doesn’t mind since Yewon feels like a little sister. She’s like Seolhwa, with a bit of a brat like attitude.

As they ate their lunch, Yewon kept on insisting a weekend day out for them in the beach house her family owned. It sounded like a good plan because Jongdae agreed but Chanyeol can’t.

 

“I’m sorry. I have other plans.” He announces, making Yewon and Jongdae whine.

 

“You always turn us down when we invite you to hangout.” Jongdae cries. “You must love those friends of yours that you’re hanging out with.”

 

“Chanyeol doesn’t have any other friends besides us, stupid.” Yewon scoffs absentmindedly. She clings onto Chanyeol’s arm and persistently persuaded him, saying that it’s not every day that they could get a holiday but Chanyeol’s attention was on Baekhyun entering the cafeteria with Minseok.

The commoner was looking at his phone then in no time, his phone buzzed inside the pocket of his jeans in an instant and smiled upon looking at it.

 

I hope you’re eating lots, your highness! Is what Baekhyun’s text is. He tried to keep a straight face but he can’t stop smiling, that’s why he covered his lips with the back of his hand.

 

“He’s not listening! Saengnim! Convince him to come!” Yewon cries. “Park Chanyeol! You have to come with us.”

 

Yewon’s voice was loud enough to make Baekhyun turn his head to their place. Chanyeol, who was watching Baekhyun intently, anticipated for the younger to find him.

 

Baekhyun looked really nice in white. He’s now wearing their white scrub suit uniform. Few moments later and Baekhyun gave up on finding him and talked to Minseok instead who already pulled him to get his food and find seats.

Everyone around his table was startled when he stood up. “You can go ahead without me.” the prince politely excused himself and made a run to where Baekhyun was so that Yewon couldn’t ask him questions anymore. He doesn’t have much time really, since their lunch break will end soon.

 

Minseok was the first to notice him coming but didn’t let Baekhyun know. His fiancé was still picking his meal.

 

“I’ll go and find a place.” The elder mouthed, smiling as if they were sharing a secret they only knew. Minseok’s always like that. Minseok left with a teasing smile on his face when he saw Chanyeol approaching Baekhyun. The prince didn’t know if he’ll be thankful for that or not but overall, he likes Minseok’s senses about the time to give them privacy.

 

“Umin-hyung. Should I eat curry?” Baekhyun asks as the prince stood behind him. He instantly recognized the lemony scent behind him and he’s sure that it belongs to one person only.

 

“That’s spicy, though?” Chanyeol answers and it made Baekhyun turn around to confirm.

 

Since Chanyeol is wearing his lab gown and obviously a handsome fellow, the student on the line was staring at them, curious as to why he’s talking to Baekhyun. It’s rare to see med students get all friendly with other students.

 

“Your highne– I mean – Chanyeol-ssi!” Baekhyun smiles brightly. “Why are you here?”

 

“Can’t I go and check on you?”

 

Baekhyun nudges him on the stomach, trying to hide the big smile on his face after what he said. He didn’t want to look at the prince because he really looked good. “Have you eaten yet?”

“Yeah, I did. My lunch is almost done, I just want to look at you real quick. Let me walk you to Minseok.”

 

“You don’t have to.” Baekhyun mumbles, and Chanyeol knows Baekhyun is worried he might be late to his next class. “But thank you. It feels really nice to know that the prince checks up on me.”

 

Chanyeol was true to his words. After greeting Minseok properly, he politely bid his good bye and reminded Baekhyun to wait for him after school since they have the same schedule that day. He wasn’t really expecting Yewon coming up from behind to fetch him. He knows Baekhyun felt uncomfortable when he saw his friend wrap his hands around his arm like a sloth on a tree.

 

“Ah. Chanyeol. This is where you are.” Yewon sang cutely. “We should really go. You don’t want to be late for Mr. Yoon’s class, right? He’s been picking on you since your last absence.”

 

“O-oh.” Chanyeol sweats as he tried to break free from the lady’s vice like grip. Baekhyun shouldn’t know that absence because that was the day he wasn’t able to see how Yewon glares at Baekhyun and Minseok because he’s busy in removing her hold without being rude. “Yeah. I’ll call you later.”

 

“O-okay.” Baekhyun stammered, voice wary already and just like that, Yewon pulled him out of the cafeteria stubbornly, not letting go of his arm.

 

“I – I can walk on my own, Yewon.” He said, retrieving his arm from the lady. “I told you to go ahead. You should listen to me.”

 

The lady crossed his arms. “Are those nursing students your friends? You call them? I don’t even have your number!”

 

Chanyeol disliked the questions but still looked unbothered. He doesn’t want to disclose his relationship with Baekhyun. “Let’s just go to class.”

 

“If they are your friends, then invite them over to our weekend trip.”

 

Chanyeol thought about the weekend trip Yewon is planning. He rejected the offer because he wanted to relax with Baekhyun at the royal palace with the King but the beach wasn’t a bad idea too. Yewon already invited them and so far, the prince is already liking the idea.

 

The prince asked Baekhyun what he thinks about going to the beach while they were at the living room and eating the freshly pick tangerines Kyungsoo gave them. “You should go, your highness.” Baekhyun insisted, giving him the half of what he peeled. “If you turn them down, they’ll feel bad.”

 

“This is the first time I’ve been invited, too.” Chanyeol tells him, plopping down on the couch. He made sure that his head was rested on the younger’s lap. Baekhyun was surprised to hear that but remembered that the prince didn’t have many friends. It really makes him happy the Chanyeol made friends with people who wanted him to enjoy life.

 

“Yewon told me you can come with us.”

 

“Me?” the younger queries with disbelief. “But you said it’s an outing for your group.”

 

“She told me to invite you too.” The prince answered, stealing the tangerines the younger’s about to pop on his mouth.

 

“Highness! Why must you steal mine! I gave you a share!” Baekhyun cries out of surprise and it delighted the prince to see such reaction from him.

“Here here. I’m just playing with you!” Chanyeol chuckles, putting a piece of tangerine on the younger’s mouth. “Let’s go to the beach, Baek.”

 

*****

Baekhyun knew there’s no way the prince would join his friends without him.

 

The prince has his way of convincing Baekhyun and managed to make him agree to come with him. Saturday morning came and Yoora comes by their apartment to take Cheol in her care all throughout the week.

 

It was the prince who packed for their things for two days last night because he was busy convincing the prince to let him stay with Yoora instead of coming but he failed.

 

The both of them decided to take the bus to go to their meeting place. He still feels reluctant about joining them but the prince thanking him for coming lessened that feeling.

 

When they arrived at their meeting place, Chanyeol’s friends are already there. Baekhyun was in a complete shock to see Minseok, bickering with Jongdae on something he didn’t understand.

 

“I haven’t told you.” Chanyeol whispers in his ear as they approaches the group. “I think Minseok and Jongdae have a thing for each other.”

Baekhyun can’t believe it. It turns out that Chanyeol tried to drag Minseok along but Jongdae already invited him.

 

When they approached the group, Baekhyun was quickly pushed to the side so Yewon can cling on Chanyeol’s arm. He felt like Yewon didn’t really like him to come since she ignored his greeting and went on getting inside the car while dragging Chanyeol with her.

 

The prince didn’t had the chance to say no.

 

It was a good thing that Minseok’s company was enough to make him feel less shy and inferior. “Go and sit beside Chanyeol.” The elder orders. “You can’t let that brat win your man over!”

 

Baekhyun was uncomfortable when the prince gets too close with someone else but there’s nothing he could do. He wouldn’t even be invited in this trip if it’s not because of Chanyeol.

 

He was the last one who got in inside the van and Chanyeol immediately had eye contact with him.

 

Chanyeol knew with just that mere eye contact that Baekhyun was feeling troubled. His fiancé was forced to sit at the back along with their luggages. “Hey. Yewon.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I need to sit with Baekhyun. I was the one who dragged him in this trip. I can’t leave him alone.” Chanyeol tells her honestly. It was a good thing that Minseok overheard their talk and butted in.

 

“Don’t worry. We’ll sit with Yewon-ssi? Right? Jongdae?”

 

“No – Yewon is damn noisy. I don’t want to – aww!“ Jongdae cries, rubbing his elbow. Chanyeol saw that Minseok pinched him in the arm and glared to silence his loud friend.

 

“Baekhyun gets dizzy during long rides. Go, Chanyeol! Distract him.”

 

Chanyeol mouthed an “I owe you a lot” to Minseok and the elder just winked at him when the other two weren’t looking. Yewon didn’t have any chance to complain because they already pestered her before she can even make a fuss.

 

Baekhyun was looking at the windows when the prince sat down beside him. He looked troubled.

 

“Baekhyunnie.” He whispered, rubbing his head on the younger’s shoulder. “Why are you so quiet? Who are you thinking of? I hope it’s me.”

 

“It’s Cheol, your – I mean Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiles as he felt Chanyeol lifting his cold hand and placing it on his own larger one. “Ah. It feels really weird to call you by your first name.”

 

“It feels nice for me. You should do that often.” Chanyeol chuckles.

 

“You know I can never do that.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t have the chance to see the prince pout childishly because he was looking at the others quarrelling over what junk snack they should eat.

 

“Were you always this cold or you’re just nervous?”

 

“You should’ve just stayed sitting beside Yewon-ssi –”

 

“And let you be alone?” Chanyeol frowns at Baekhyun. “I really wanted to spend time with you, Baekhyun. If I knew you’d be this uncomfortable, I shouldn’t have forced it. Please forgive me.”

 

“Highness, no.” Baekhyun whispers, grasping onto the prince’s hand tightly. He looked at the people in front of them to check if they can hear him panic but turns out that Yewon and the others are busy bickering with one another. “Please don’t apologize to me. I just –“

 

“I know Yewon intimidates you but she’s a nice person. You’ll get along pretty well.”

 

Baekhyun nodded weakly. He trusts the prince in whatever he says and when the prince playfully rubbed his curly head onto his cheek to make him cheer up.

The prince sometimes acts like a cute child. he thought and the gesture made the younger smile confidently.

 

He was surprised when the prince gave the back of his hand a quick kiss and he can’t help the heat rushing to his cheek.

 

The prince has become very affectionate and he’s getting used to it yet he still can’t stop the blushing.

The travel took a couple of hours but because of Jongdae and Minseok’s fighting to almost every single thing, it was less boring. When they reached the beach house, the first thing they did was to choose rooms. Yewon’s family beach house was just few walks from the shore and it had three levels. Everything looked elegant – from the exteriors to the furniture inside. Baekhyun was really in awe with everything he sees. Since Yewon’s the only lady, she got the nicest room.

 

Jongdae wanted to room with Chanyeol but Minseok was very quick to drag him by the collar so they can take the room just beside Yewon’s.

 

The last room was at the attic and had a nice view of the sea. It can accommodate him and the prince but the problem is that the room only had one bed.

That meant he has to share a bed with the prince for two days and Baekhyun felt like Minseok planned it by the way the elder winked at him. He must’ve learned that the room in the attic only had one bed in it first.

 

The prince looked okay with the room since he wants to be away from Jongdae but Baekhyun was nervous about it.

This is his first vacation with the prince and even though they shared a bed before, he still hasn’t gotten used to it.

“Let’s ask extra mattress later okay?” the prince suggested as he sat down beside Baekhyun. “I could sleep on the floor and you take the bed.”

“Highness, I can sleep in the floor. You take the bed.”

“Naah. It’s okay. Unless you have a better idea?”

Baekhyun tried to think of a better idea with a little pout he’s not conscious of doing. “I’ll sleep on the floor?”

The prince laughed, flicking Baekhyun’s forehead. “How was that even a better idea? I was thinking of us sharing the bed.”

“I should get ask Yewon-ssi now for the mattress.” Baekhyun almost ate all his words because of the nervousness. The Prince’s flirty jokes make him want to run away and scream his heart out because it might burst inside his chest.

 

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun walk away from him like a penguin with his fist clenched tightly. He almost tripped on his way that was clear from anything that can actually cause him tripping. “Be careful!” he reminded but his cute fiancé almost tripped with that reminder, too.

 

“I was trying my best to flirt with you but the reaction you can only give me is running away??” Chanyeol laughs to himself. “What should I do with you.. Baekhyun-ah?”

 

Baekhyun didn’t really want to leave the attic after realizing that he had to talk to Yewon for the extra mattress he told the prince he will be asking for. Yewon was in the kitchen, preparing food for everyone since it’s almost lunch time. He kept pacing, contemplating whether to approach her or not and didn’t know that he was mumbling his nervousness.

“Yah. If you don’t have any business with me, you can go.”

Yewon scolds, making a cute face even though she looks pissed. Baekhyun really thinks she’s really pretty but he can’t help but to be uncertain whether he should stay or not. He was about to leave the kitchen when Yewon calls him back.

 

“On a second note, you can stay.”

It made Baekhyun happy but staying meant awkwardness. He was like a scolded pup, standing stiffly in front of the table and remained watching the beautiful lady cook. He doesn’t know if he could speak or not because the lady working around looked really focused.

 

“Instead of idling, come here and stir this for me.” Yewon ordered. He was reminded of Seolhwa who looks like a terror tutor but really is the kindest, making him rest for a little more than what is opted for him. Instructions came after instructions and Baekhyun didn’t even notice Yewon was already sitting down, watching him cook.

“That’s how you cook curry. I heard from Jongdae that Chanyeol likes it so much that’s why I studied how to cook it.” she says, standing beside Baekhyun who looked really happy with what he accomplished.

 

“Thank you –”

“I like Chanyeol.”

Yewon sighed right after saying, “Ah, I wish I could tell it to him.”

“You should… tell him?”

“I can’t believe I’ll hear that from someone who also likes him. Are you mocking me?”

Baekhyun shakes his head, panicking again.

 

It made Yewon laugh to find out that the younger is entertaining when nervous. “I don’t need to ask anymore, right? You two don’t look like “friends” earlier back in the van.”

“I’m so-“

“Don’t even say sorry to someone who just lost in love, especially your rival.” Yewon cuts him, finally smiling at him. “I’ve known for a while that he’s seeing someone and it was you. I just want to confirm and I accept it. He looks happy, though. He rarely smiles freely when he’s with us and he does it easily with you. It’s nice to see him happy.”

 

Baekhyun kept mum and realized that he’s very lucky to be close to the person he really likes.

 

Chanyeol is the prince of the nation and if people knew who he was, there will be lots of decent people like Yewon admiring him. He thought that the prince could actually have a choice on his own and marry someone else that he likes.

 

It came uninvited to Baekhyun’s mind that if it wasn’t for his grandfather and the King’s agreement, he wouldn’t be allowed to stand in the same room with the prince.

 

He felt bad. He doesn’t know but he felt bad that he just thought their arrangement might be limiting the prince.

 

“Hey.” There was a nudge on his arm. “Let’s be friends, okay?”

 

Baekhyun was happy after his talk with Yewon. Chanyeol was pleased to see that somehow, asking for a mattress might be a way to get along because they really did.

Yewon started being nice to the younger. She was the one giving Baekhyun everything he might be needing – water, extra serving of rice and curry.

 

Everyone liked the food and it was also her who revealed that it was Baekhyun who cooked it for them.

“Why does it look like it’s your accomplishment? Your nose is flaring.” Jongdae comments, digging in the fresh and sweet watermelon Chanyeol had cut. While Yewon battles again with Jongdae, Minseok tries calming them down.

 

Chanyeol can see that Baekhyun was fidgeting shyly beside him because he doesn’t know how to take the compliments for him. He nudges him on the knee and the younger instantly looked at him.

 

“You did really well. I’m proud you didn’t make a mess.” He teases, popping a small piece of watermelon on the younger’s mouth. “Sweet right?”

 

Baekhyun hums his approval.“Yewon-ssi wouldn’t let me live if I burned the kitchen. It’s all because of her…” the younger’s attention diverted to the trio bickering. “Highness, should we try to stop them?

 

The prince stared for a moment, chuckling at the sight of his friends bickering like kids. “You guys,” Chanyeol spoke, giving them another batch of watermelon to devour. “Eat.”

 

As they ate, Yewon told them to leave the dishes because the house help will come in the afternoon to clean and cook for them. They did what they are told because the lady pushed them out of the house after changing into their swimming shorts.

 

It was a nice time to swim that Minseok and Jongdae already played race with each other. Baekhyun can feel the fine sand on his feet and he feels really excited to play – only if he’s not traumatized of the open water.

 

He was sitting under the shade of the palm tree, watching the two splashed water against each other. He was also waiting for the prince to come out. Unlike Minseok and Jongdae, Baekhyun was wearing the rash guard the prince bought for him and swim shorts.

 

His thoughts about his arranged marriage with Chanyeol earlier came back in his head again and Baekhyun can't help but to feel something aching. What if he’s being a burden to the prince for months now and he wasn’t aware of it because he was deluded with the thought that the prince can see him already as someone worthy for his love?

He can’t bear to think that the prince is compromising all of the good opportunities just because of their arranged marriage. He’s drowning in his deep thoughts and didn’t notice the prince approaching him. He didn’t see the panic on the Prince’s face when he saw him burying his face on his knees as if he was crying.

“Baekhyun.” The prince crouched down in front of him. He was relieved that Baekhyun wasn’t crying but it comes to his attention that Baekhyun’s face was really red. “Why are you staying here all alone? Did you hurt yourself somewhere?” he asked, cupping Baekhyun’s face gently in his hands as he examined him closer. “I brought you sun block!”

 

It was the prince who effortlessly lathered the cream on his cheeks and nose and Baekhyun can’t really look at the topless prince in front of him because he knows he’ll end up gawking at his perfectly toned body. His chest looked so comfy to lay on and he was really amazed at how the prince can maintain such fit body despite his busy schedule in school and his duty as a royalty. “We can’t let the sun burn you.” The prince tells him.

 

Baekhyun feels like a child because of the prince’s big hands. It’s like everything he holds becomes instantly small just like his face. He can feel the prince putting a smile on his face again by pulling the corners of his mouth upwards using his thumb. It’s like the prince was giving him comfort every time he does it.

 

“Let’s join them. The water looks nice.”

“I don’t know how to … swim.” Baekhyun confesses and the prince laughed at him, pinching his cheeks.

“I can teach you.” Chanyeol offers but the younger shakes his head.

“I’m scared, your highness.”

“Then let me stay here with you.”

“No, your highness.” Baekhyun insisted, pushing the prince to go to the sea and enjoy. “I’ll be here and watch you! I’ll be okay!”

Chanyeol felt like he shouldn’t force Baekhyun on coming with him since he had a terrified look when he tried to drag him with him. His fiancé had lots of fears and Chanyeol at least wanted to help him overcome it.

The group, aside from Baekhyun, stayed in the waters till late in the afternoon. Minseok, Jongdae and the Chanyeol played race with each other and did all the childish games including throwing Yewon on the waters. Each earned a harsh slap on the arm that actually marked on their skin.

Yewon managed to pull Baekhyun at least on the shore to have fun too and Chanyeol had thanked her for that because he saw her exchanging talks with Baekhyun and didn’t leave him alone.

Everyone excluding Baekhyun became tanner than their usual skin color.

 

Chanyeol has become a lot manlier after playing under the sun. He really had a nice build and men and women would want someone like him.

 

When dinner came, everyone was starving but it’s noticeable that Baekhyun doesn’t have the appetite.

After dinner, everyone agreed to watch a horror film before going to bed at the living area of the house. The big couches are enough to grant Minseok, Jongdae and Yewon to lay on their backs as they watch while the prince chose to sit beside Baekhyun on the floor who looked like he didn’t really like watching a horror film at all but just wanted to spend time with the others.

 

“You have a lot of fears, don’t you?” Chanyeol whispers, putting his arm over the younger’s shoulders. Again, it made Baekhyun’s heart race but the ghost suddenly appeared on the big screen and made everyone except the prince scream wildly. Baekhyun wasn’t able to control himself and hid his face on the prince chest. He was shivering in fear but felt comforted when Chanyeol enveloped him in a secured embrace. “There’s no more ghost, Baek. You can watch again.”

But jokes on him the moment he raised his head, the ghost with a hideous face popped out the screen again, giving a jump scare. He was really shocked because the Prince fooled him, he wasn’t able to stop himself for hitting the laughing royalty beside him.

“You’re really cute, Baek.”

Baekhyun frowns, calming his own heart. “I won’t trust you anymore.”

 

*****

Baekhyun had bags under his eyes and everyone really about it. He really regrets watching the horror film with them because the morbid-looking ghost didn’t give him a chance to sleep. Even though the prince let him have the bed, every time he closes his eyes felt like the ghost would scare him to death and appear right in front of his face.

“Are you still angry with me?” was the first thing the prince said that morning to a completely dazed Baekhyun when they are gathered around for breakfast. Although it’s a prank, the younger refused to talk to the prince last night. The younger just frowned at the prince, actually not in the mood to talk to anyone.

Minseok cooked for breakfast and Baekhyun suddenly missed Mrs. Kim’s food. It somehow made him happy because it really tasted like her cooking. Even Yewon who’s known to be a picky eater liked it. The breakfast went on and Baekhyun still doesn’t want to talk to the prince whom he knew was constantly checking on him.

 

He wasn’t angry, really. He just felt betrayed last night because the prince played a joke on him and he felt awkward now because he doesn’t know how to approach the prince.

Jongdae dragged Chanyeol to try jet skiing and kayak boating. It hindered Baekhyun on approaching him. They would manage to have an eye contact but the prince would quickly evade it. Because of that, Baekhyun tried to not come across him the whole day.

Yewon and Minseok noticed that the both are trying to ignore each other. Whenever Chanyeol is around, Baekhyun would pull the both of them to play somewhere farther. Usually, Minseok would just let Baekhyun and Chanyeol sort things out on their own but Yewon is different. She’s impatient and she doesn’t like the both of her friends fooling themselves as if they don’t want to talk to each other.

When they were preparing dinner, they conspired a plan to make the two make up.

“What’s so interesting about a bottle, Yewon-ah?” Jongdae scoffs as everyone gathered around the bonfire they set up near the sea. Since Baekhyun was terrified of the horror films they all liked, majority decided to spend their last night chilling together and relax with the cool breeze and calming waves from the sea.

 

“This is a lot more interesting than you, Kim Jongdae, so shut your mouth.” Minseok replies for Yewon who was busy setting a plywood for the bottle to be laid at. “Baekhyun-ah. Can you get the beer inside the kitchen?”

“Uh.. “ Baekhyun was startled. Going inside means a chance to actually meet the prince who told them he’ll shower first. “Please come with me, Yewon-ssi.”

“Chanyeol is there – no need to be scared, Baekhyun.”

What Yewon told him was exactly why he doesn’t want to. As a person who can’t actually say no to his friends, Baekhyun stood up from his place and decided to get the bottles of beer. He wasn’t expecting the prince standing behind him who looked like he didn’t bother drying his hair. He’s warmly dressed, though, with a jacket on unlike him who’s only wearing a t-shirt.

 

Baekhyun wants to start a conversation with the prince but it felt like his brain doesn’t know what to prioritize thinking.

Chanyeol looks good but he wasn’t smiling at him.

“Sorry. Did I startle you?”

Baekhyun shakes his head.

 

“Okay.”

And then Chanyeol walked by him and took a seat next to Jongdae. Baekhyun knows it was him who made the prince like that but still, he can’t help but to feel hurt. He was used with the prince assisting him and checking up on him but he looked suddenly uninterested.

 

Setting aside the thoughts, Baekhyun did his best but to be cheerful as their group started their drinking session. Jongdae and Yewon are fast and heavy drinkers. While most of them are still having their second bottle, the two are already chugging their fourth. There are a lot of topics that entered their conversation as they drank together. Baekhyun can see that the prince are having so much fun with the conversation, occasionally joining if he gets asked.

 

Yewon and Minseok started to spice things up when they played spin the bottle. The person who gets pointed by the mouth of the bottle can choose Truth or Dare.

Jongdae always get victimized by the bottle and it’s very entertaining because he gets out of this world consequences. One dare from Yewon was to run along the shoreline which he bravely and boldly did. Minseok dared him to get into water after which had him freezing.

 

It’s a good thing that everyone is willing to play. The night gets deeper and most of them are talking gibberish already. Everyone knew he had low tolerance of alcohol that’s why they didn’t force him to drink as much as they do. Baekhyun was also lucky that the bottle doesn’t point him. The prince was dared to drink a crazy mixed drink.

 

“It better not be me, bottle.” Minseok warns, as if the bottle can talk back to him. “I’m rooting for Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun was antsy when the prince gazed on him as he chugs on his beer. He doesn’t want to be pointed but the bottle’s mouth pointed to him and everyone hollered.

“Truth or Dare, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun knows everyone was looking at him but the Prince was carefully and intently watching him and even set aside the bottle of beer he just opened to drink. “Dare.”

That surprised everyone, even Baekhyun himself. Was he too bold? He thought he should’ve picked truth but he’s frightened of what they could ask him.

“Okay.” Minseok smiled evilly. “I dare you to sit beside Chanyeol and drink his beer.”

“Wait – what?” Jongdae was frowning. “Why are you going easy on Baekhyun? Give him something else! Something harder!”

Minseok smirks at Baekhyun and then went back on a whining Jongdae. “Shush you. That enough is hard for our Baekhyun.”

What Minseok said was something agreeable. Sitting beside the prince made Baekhyun feel as if there were a lump in his throat. He made sure that he sat inches away from the prince but as soon as he settled down, Chanyeol moved closely to him. “Let’s pretend we exchanged drinks, okay?” he whispers and Baekhyun smelled his beer-induced breath. The prince winks at him right after.

What the prince did make him happy but heck it felt colder on their place it made him shiver, obviously.

 

“Wear this, Baek.”

 

He looks at the prince who removed his hoodie and placed it on his small shoulders. Baekhyun wasn’t able to say no because most of the clothes Chanyeol’s lending him on some occasion smelt so much like him.

Lemony but musky scent, which calms Baekhyun’s heart. Chanyeol’s clothes really make him look smaller than his actual size. The hoodie was oversized for him to the point that his hands wouldn’t even show.

 

“Did the two of you make up already? That fast?” Yewon muttered, breaking Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s eye contact. Chanyeol just smiled at them and Baekhyun fixed his gaze on the bonfire. “Chanyeol, what exactly is your relationship with Baekhyun? This is me being really curious.”

 

“Yeah.” Jongdae agreed, his voice sounded like the alcohol he’s taking in is consuming him already.

Baekhyun started fidgeting on his place.

 

“Like dude, you say he’s a friend but you’re totally a boyfriend to him. The moment Baekhyun becomes visible to you, you forget everyone around you. You keep too many secrets from us, really.”

“There are rumors that you have a girlfriend, too.” Yewon added. “So where does Baekhyun even stand? Why are you so close?”

 

The commoner was nervous and kept on fidgeting his fingers. He doesn’t expect questions like that and it never crossed his mind that the people around them would be really curious.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter