three

what's better than i love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chanyeol can’t believe what he’s seeing right in front of him. The “elementary school boy” he told Yoora as soon as he met up with her after his interview at the university turned out to be the fiancé he should take care of from now on. The prince didn’t know what to feel or how to act in front of the person that ruined his day and his sleep. Is this for real? Really? Of all the people that can be betrothed to him, why this clumsy commoner?

Baekhyun. His name is Byun Baekhyun. A name so easy to remember.

The mood was airy mostly because Chanyeol didn’t even bother to greet his fiancé. He just stared at him for a good minute. Baekhyun, upon realizing who he was quickly showed the manners taught to him. Bowing courteously to a royal family member is a must and he did that, surprisingly well. According to Yoora, Baekhyun had only begun his etiquette lessons three months ago. Chanyeol sees that he’s doing good. But still – what happened earlier with the juice stain really irritated the prince to the core.

Chanyeol doesn’t want to be blamed for being apathetic to this Baekhyun who was trying his best not to meet eyes with him. From Cambridge to Seoul, he’s already feeling bad. He was groggy and tired yet he had to attend his interview for his admittance in Seoul University Med-school. He showed up in his scheduled interview on time but with a raspberry juice stain designing his clothes.

 

It was a very uncomforting reality to a neat freak like him. It just ticked him off that he’s so unlucky that time, not having the chance to run back to his car and change his clothes. Lucky for him that it was only the director of the school who interviewed him and not the board.

 

However, his mood didn’t lighten up even after he met up with his sister. Yoora was used to him looking serious and passive but a frown on his face is definitely a concern. You have to be extra annoying to make Chanyeol frown. Yoora asked and so Chanyeol told her everything about what happened. He describes Baekhyun as a lost elementary school kid. Not knowing the person was his soon-to-be-brother-in law, Yoora told Chanyeol to sleep it off because in all honesty, Baekhyun was just unfortunate, too, to be the recipient of all of Chanyeol’s annoyance.

 

The meeting of his fiancé was a contributing factor too to his sour mood. Now that he’s staying in Korea for good, Yoora thought that it’s best to live in with the said fiancé without consulting him. The prince knows Yoora’s just helping them get comfortable with each other but she’s forgetting how Chanyeol hated being with strangers. He could complain, yes, certainly but the tired look on Yoora’s face guilts him so he just agreed.

 

Chanyeol was alright with it since the apartment had two separate bedrooms but when they arrived at the place, Yoora told him that Kyungsoo’s using the other spare room and it meant that he has to share rooms with his fiancé for awhile.

 

The prince lost all his care in the world and is too tired to complain. He already agreed to this and dealing with it with a tired mind is not a very likeable decision he can make.

 

The sleep helped his mood, really. The bed he slept in really smelt good too and it relaxed his nerves for a bit but then in the middle of his slumber, Ham started barking to no end. It might look like he hates Ham but no, he doesn’t. He’s just irritable when his sleep gets disturbed.

 

And now, he has to tolerate the awkwardness being shared in the kitchen with his fiancé, Byun Baekhyun.

Yoora was not aware of it. She’s busy cooking the soup to ease Chanyeol’s headache since he complained about it. Right in front of the Prince was a nervous fidgeting boy, gaze pinned on his plate. The only thing Chanyeol can do at the moment was to examine him.

 

He’s shorter, fair and actually good looking. His bowl cut black hair made him look really younger. His fingers looked really soft, long, and thin. Everything about the boy in front of him was small! Even his shoulders! And his face! And his hair looked really soft unlike his – dry and damaged. He hates his hair, really but he can’t voice that out because he inherited it from the crown prince.

 

When Baekhyun decided to lift his head up, the color of pink spread across his cheek as he met eyes with Chanyeol.

 

Poor boy went back looking down on his plate again as if it were the most amazing thing existed.

 

Baekhyun was flustered, Chanyeol noticed. He’s really shy just like how Yoora described him. The prince rested his cheek at the back of his hand and continued watching Baekhyun like a hawk. He notices every little detail. Baekhyun is careless but he has a side that is full of grace. “Baekhyun, can you get some kimchi in the fridge? I’m almost done cooking!”

 

“Ye-yes noonim.”

 

There was a slight eye contact between them but Baekhyun quickly pulled away and went to get what Yoora asked. Chanyeol just followed his figure, betting that he’ll trip over nothing and Baekhyun did. The prince’ snort was audible, the shorter boy heard it and was again, embarrassed to death. He knows the prince is watching him and it’s really making him nervous. The gaze of the prince gives so much effect on him. Like the stare enough can melt his whole being.

 

When everything was settled, it was Chanyeol who served the food to everyone. Baekhyun wanted to protest. A royalty should not work for others like this. He was the commoner around. He should be the one serving their food but how can he even talk to the Prince? One look from him and he freezes on his place. To stop the prince in what he’s doing is impossible for Baekhyun. Helpless, he decided to stay put on his chair and wait.

 

While the prince was giving Yoora’s share, the prince caught Baekhyun eyeing the shrimps. Chanyeol guesses that the commoner liked the shrimps that’s why when he’s done with Yoora, he made sure that Baekhyun would receive lots of it.

 

He can be nice to him, Chanyeol supposed.

 

Baekhyun was surprised when the Prince placed food on his plate. He wasn’t looking at him, that’s why he was unsure if he’ll thank him or not.

 

“Ah! That’s nice of you, Chanyeol!” Yoora exclaimed, delighted to see the two interacting. “You’re being good already to Baekhyun! I guess there won’t be any problem if you’ll live together!”

“I just gave him a serving, Yoo.” Chanyeol shrugs then glanced at Baekhyun. The commoner quietly ate his food, trying not to gain attention from the prince. He doesn’t want to give any unnecessary bad impressions anymore. “Wouldn’t it be rude if I wouldn’t? After I did it for you?”

 

“Well.. hmm. I still think that’s very nice of you. It’s that what Cambridge made you?”

The Prince just gave her a grin and proceeded eating.

 

At dinner, Yoora told them about the arrangement that will happen. Baekhyun learned that Chanyeol will be staying with him at the apartment starting that evening. It was a shock that made him quiet all throughout dinner.

He was worried because what if he annoys the Prince? They don’t know each other. How would they deal with the differences? Baekhyun was terrified with the thought that the Prince might kick him out if he makes another mistake. He was carefully listening at the siblings as they exchange talks throughout dinner about the arrangement.

 

Kyungsoo will stay with them for a week more, and then move out. Therefore, he and the Prince would be sharing a room for a week. Baekhyun’s mind kept on running – where would the prince sleep? Would they share a bed? He can actually take the couch. Baekhyun decided to mention it to the prince later since he can see that the siblings are catching up with each other.

 

The two talked about Cambridge and Chanyeol’s plans. The prince told Yoora that he’ll just follow the schedule that will be provided by the Blue House. There were lots of invitations for him and as early as possible, the crown prince wants to expose him in what he’ll be doing in the future.

“Would you like some wine, Chan?” Yoora offered, finishing her meal. Baekhyun still haven’t finished his share because he got too conscious in eating since the Prince is just sitting across him. One move and the prince will look at him.

 

“I’m good, Yoo. Thanks.”

 

“Your mood looks better! The sleep must’ve helped you forget the elementary school kid that stained your clothes, huh?”

Baekhyun gulps and looked at Yoora quizzically. Yoora quickly noticed him and started telling Baekhyun what happened. “Some student spilled his drink on his clothes. Very unfortunate that he has to face the school director for an interview in that state.”

“It’s fine already.” Chanyeol cuts his sister before she completely scare Baekhyun with his sullen mood earlier. It feels like he bullied Baekhyun enough and the terror on his face was very evident already. “I guess it was an accident.”

“But you said the boy didn’t apologize.” Yoora added. “You even threw your clothes because you’re really annoyed.

“I was rushing for my interview.” Chanyeol tried to stop the conversation already but Yoora can’t pick up. The prince had to make a way to stop the topic for Baekhyun’s sake. He looked really uncomfortable, shifting on his place after hearing that he threw the clothes he stained. “I wasn’t really sure if he did or did not. I just hope tomorrow, he’ll be a lot more careful.”

Baekhyun bites his lip to prevent himself from answering a yes to the prince. As soon as they felt the need to clean up, the commoner initiated to do the dishes since he didn’t help in any of the preparations.

 

“What do you think you are doing, Park Yoora? Leave the plates. I’ll do it.” Chanyeol offers when Yoora started gathering the plates and Baekhyun shouted a no. It surprised Yoora because Baekhyun was always soft spoken to people.

 

“I – I can do it myself. Noonim and his Highness can rest.” Baekhyun laughs awkwardly, trying to convince the royal siblings to just let him do the work but the Prince was already wearing an apron on him.

“It’s fine.” Chanyeol tells him. “I’ll do it.”

Protesting is futile because the Prince already turned his back on him. Yoora can see the frustration on Baekhyun’s face that’s why she tried nudging him on his side. “Stubborn, isn’t he? My brother?”

The commoner wasn’t able to answer. Would it be slander against the Prince if he said yes? Because he is a on a high level of stubbornness. “I –“

“He’s a little bit difficult.” Yoora whispered. “You can’t win on that man but he is a softy inside. ”

“I just hope he’d let me do that chore, noonim. His eyes looked weary.”

The older woman sighed. She didn’t notice that and so she pushed Baekhyun towards the Prince and mouthed to the boy that he should help him.

Baekhyun quietly stood beside the prince and started drying the plates the Prince had washed. He could feel the Prince staring at him for a moment and then proceeded washing again. “Still scared of me?”

Baekhyun froze when the Prince whispered to him. And then he nodded.

“I apologize for making you feel uncomfortable. I was really in a bad mood earlier because of your juice.”

“I’m sorry, highness.” Was all that Baekhyun answered. Chanyeol nodded in response and then worked in silence again.

This is his first conversation with his fiancé. Baekhyun noted on his mind. It was really awkward but being able to stand beside the prince is an achievement. He’s still nervous (who wouldn’t be nervous if you’re standing beside a handsome yet intimidating royalty? Even his height is impressive) but the Prince thanked him after finishing the chore.

When it was time to leave for Yoora and Ham, the two of them was left together with awkwardness filling the air. They were inside Baekhyun’s room, both getting ready to bed. It was a long tiring day. They exchange small talks like the Prince asking if he can use the bathroom first and informing Baekhyun that he can use it after he finished. It was hard to move because they’re still basically strangers to each other.

The only thing that they know about each other is that they are fiancés. While Baekhyun washes himself, he still can’t get over the fact that the Prince wasn’t as warm as he thought he’d be. Based on Kyungsoo’s stories, the Prince is a man with a big heart but all Baekhyun witnessed today was a very impassive and quiet prince.

Baekhyun cheered himself up. It’s just the first day. There are a lot of days coming for them to know each other and see each other on a positive light. After all, the Prince tried to talk to him. He’ll do his best tomorrow.

It took him awhile to finish cleaning himself. This had given the Prince the time to settle in at the couch to rest his mind off. Meeting his fiancé consumed all of his remaining energy and he just wanted to sleep.

Baekhyun. He was reading the files Seolhwa sent him about his fiancé. There were a lot of photos attached in it. The prince cannot deny that Byun Baekhyun is pretty cute and young at the age of twenty. Orphaned and was legally adopted by Byun Daeryong after the fisherman’s wife died because of illness. They are extremely poor and lived at the underdeveloped part of Seoul. Baekhyun experienced malnutrition and pneumonia when he’s still a child. In Seolhwa’s reports, Baekhyun’s grandfather and the King are very good friends. It is said that Byun Daeryong saved his grandfather’s life which he already know.

Plopping down comfortably on the couch, Chanyeol continued reading.

Baekhyun is a nursing freshman. There’s also the list of food he likes and dislikes and his allergies even his hobbies and his schedules. That might be useful.

It caught his eye that Baekhyun is allergic to fur and cucumbers. He recalled Baekhyun playing with Ham earlier. There’s nothing wrong in reminding him to take antihistamines, right? However, Chanyeol was at war with himself wether he’ll remind him now or later.

“It will freak him if I suddenly mention that I know this about him.” Chanyeol mumbles to himself. He doesn’t want questions to be thrown at him.

Before dozing off completely to sleep, Chanyeol managed to send a text to Kyungsoo to remind Baekhyun about taking it. Kyungsoo was able to reply but he was already asleep at that time.

 

 

When Baekhyun was done with the bathroom, the first thing he sought was the Prince. He wasn’t in the room and Baekhyun thought he probably went out to breathe some fresh air. He went out his room to get some antihistamines because Kyungsoo reminded him to take it and was taken aback when he saw the Prince sleeping on the couch already. The assistant is still at the blue house, working overtime as per usual.

Quietly walking towards the Prince, Baekhyun did his best not to wake him up. He crouched down and took his chance to look at his fiancé looking so peaceful as he sleep. He got worried because he still has his hair wet. He felt bad seeing that his Highness was adjusting to his comfort. Baekhyun didn’t want to be a burden to him but he’s thankful. He wouldn’t be able to sleep if the Prince is right next to him, sharing a bed.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun whispers, looking at the Prince carefully. “I hope I can do something good for you, too. Rest well, your highness.”

Baekhyun tucks the prince with his comforters because it gets cold during the mornings. He looks around to check if they are secured properly. He checked the doors one by one and looked at the trash bins if ever it’s filled already. Luckily, the trash bins are only half filled. It wasn’t Baekhyun’s nature to look through garbage can despite of him living in the slums but a certain trash caught his eyes.

Baekhyun picks it out of the bin and noticed that it was the Prince’s clothes earlier that morning. The one he accidentally stained. It’s such a waste to let such pricey clothing be thrown. He’ll bring it to the laundry first thing tomorrow. That meant that he had to wake up earlier than usual.

 

Morning came and Baekhyun didn’t know how he can start talking with the prince. They only exchanged courteous bows with each other when the prince was finished using the bathroom and after that, nothing else followed.

Sometimes, the prince would ask him if he slept well but that’s really rare. Most of the time, the prince is already out of the house since his schedule is kind of hectic. By mornings, he either visits the King or the Blue House and the rest of the day up to late evening is spent at the university.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t really know if the prince hates him and it just limits him to be himself at home. By the looks of it, the prince liked tranquility in his surroundings. Having Baekhyun around is crazy and he personally knows that. The younger can see that being in med-school looked tough. Whenever the prince gets home by ten in the evening, he would always work on his laptop, quietly.

It looks ten times tougher than his course.

In those times, Baekhyun would reach out to the prince. “Have you eaten yet?” He’d ask.

“No. I haven’t.”

“Would you like me to prepare food, your highness?”

Baekhyun was unsure why he offered that. He can’t cook and he was never allowed to touch the kitchen because for sure, he’ll make a mess

“No need but thank you, Baekhyun.” The prince would always decline and this hurts him a little. The way the prince immediately goes back in working on his laptop, it was imprinted on Baekhyun’s mind that the prince wasn’t that interested in him.

 

Minseok, though spent a little time with Baekhyun, can easily notice the younger’s frustrations. Who wouldn’t? It’s been days since Baekhyun momentarily sighed all of a sudden when he’s dazing during their P.E. class. The elder can’t help but probe so that he can help. “You okay?” he asked as they walk together to the uni’s cafeteria to eat lunch.

Baekhyun would sluggishly nod at him and Minseok wouldn’t buy it.

“What’s the problem?”

“How – how can you be friends with your fian-“ Baekhyun’s stops, making the older raise his brow. Baekhyun had a hard time thinking of a term that can best describe his relationship withthe prince, “-housemate?”

“Kick him out.” Minseok kids, frustrating Baekhyun even more. He was problematic already but the elder was taking it as a joke. “I’m kidding, okay? What’s the problem with your housemate.”

 

“Well… nothing’s wrong maybe I’m just thinking negatively about it but it seems like… to him… I don’t really exist? He’s also… intimidating. I don’t know how to approach him and when I do, I get completely shunned and the worst is, I embarrass myself and become a complete burden.”

 

Minseok made a disapproving face. “Wow, by the looks of it, your housemate might have an attitude problem and you should probably set things straight with yourself. You are too clumsy, by the way. Do you know?”

 

Baekhyun groans and thought deeply as they lined up to get lunch. The prince was actually nice sometimes. Whenever he makes falling noises, he would knock and check on him and would always remind him to be careful. “No. I take it back - I think he’s just really… quiet…”

 

“Look..” Minseok faces him, giving him cream bread and his tray for food. “He’s not bullying you right?”

“No, he’s not.”

“Then maybe the problem is he’s still not comfortable with you – what’s his course by the way?”

“He’s attending med school.”

 

“What???!” Minseok gasped loudly, making few heads turn their head to them. “Your housemate is practicing medicine?? Wow? He must be really smart and busy.”

 

“He is. It worries me that he doesn’t eat dinner. It’s been a week now and all he did was to face his laptop as soon as he gets home.”

 

“You know, you can’t really expect med students to waste time to chill and take time to get to know their housemate as if it’s a priority – this is Seoul University and the med school aims perfection. Just give your roommate some time. He might be really busy. Ah! That reminds me! We need to work on our research! I’m glad I get grouped with you. The sunbae we have in our group doesn’t look like he’s interested in helping.”

 

But I am his fiancé. Baekhyun reasons at the back of his head. Can’t he do a little effort too?

 

As soon as they got their food, the both of them tried to find a table they can eat at. Minseok with his hawk eyes spotted a place for them near the windows with the view of the university’s field.

 

“Ahh. The cafeteria is always crowded – we should have our own in our building don’t you think?” Minseok whines as he ate spoonfuls after spoonfuls. “Eat already, Baek!”

But Baekhyun doesn’t have an appetite. He took his time watching the students practicing on the field and his heart skipped a beat when he spotted the prince sitting under a tree with a book on one hand and milk on the other. He was alone and looks like he’s studying.

 

Baekhyun can’t help but to admire the prince. He really stands out with his good looks and tall height. Should he drink milk during lunch too? Would it grow him a few centimeters more? Most importantly, Baekhyun wondered, what is it like to be able to be his friend? How to be the prince’ friend?

 

The elder sitting beside him noticed Baekhyun was dazed. He followed where the younger was looking “Hey you’re drooling!” Minseok kids and it instantly pulled Baekhyun out. “Is that some kind of celebrity?”

 

“That’s my housemate.”

 

And for the nth time, Minseok’s shocked gasps made the other students give them unwanted attention.

 

A week had passed and Kyungsoo had to move out of the house. He did it quickly upon learning that the prince had been sleeping on the couch for a week already. Baekhyun offered his room but again, Prince Chanyeol declines, saying that it was his room and he can wait for the room Kyungsoo’s using.

The assistant noticed how indifferent the both are with each other but chose not to meddle. He was waiting for Baekhyun to reach out and tell him but it seems like the younger didn’t want to let him know.

The assistant would always ask if he and the prince are getting along fine since he’s usually out of the house because of his Blue House duties. Baekhyun would put a bright smile on his face and say yes.

 

No matter how much Baekhyun tried to hide it, Kyungsoo can see through him. It was the assistant’s worry whether it will be okay to leave the two all alone in the apartment but Yoora told him that Chanyeol’s still adjusting to Baekhyun. It might take time but she’s sure her brother will warm up to his commoner fiancé.

 

Chanyeol really wanted to get along with Baekhyun but his university life gets in the way.

 

It turned out that Chanyeol was having a hard time in Seoul University. He had unwanted attention amongst his block mates when one of his professors announced that he was originally from Cambridge and a top notcher at that. The sunbaes he had in his class picks on him, giving all the work on his shoulder when it comes to group research and since he doesn’t have a friendly face, half of the class tries not to cross paths with him if it’s unnecessary.

 

Chanyeol was used to that treatment in Cambridge. In four years he only managed to have five contacts in his phone and two friends that came from different programs. Those people are considered the essentials in his life. The prince admits that it’s hard for him to get along with people because he’s used to minding his own business and has been homeschooled until the eight grade.

 

His lonesomeness was better rather than be used by people for their convenience.

It’s a good thing that Kim Jongdae, one of his classmates, is friendly enough to approach him though. The man shares the same age as him and is a decent hardworking individual. He likes Jongdae.

 

Chanyeol can’t help but to feel sorry for Baekhyun, too. After Kyungsoo left, Baekhyun became all alone at the apartment. He appreciates him whenever he offers to make him dinner but Chanyeol knows he’s tired as well in dealing university requirements. He knows that Baekhyun waits for him to come home.

 

One thing Chanyeol disliked is to burden the people around him. He’d rather break all alone than break others because of him. Since the university has one main cafeteria, he’ll see Baekhyun trying to fight his sleepiness as he eats. Sure, it’s nice that someone takes care of you but Baekhyun’s health at stake in doing that caring is not really what the prince would like to happen.

 

He had the chance to talk to the younger about it one night when he got home late because of a research. Baekhyun was in the kitchen, making a mug of coffee for himself.

 

“Please don’t wait for me to come home, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol sighs, weary creeping on his voice. He was worried that Baekhyun’s routine might be the reason he will not be able to prioritize his own dues and studies.

 

The prince was too tired to notice the disappointment on the younger’s eyes and thought he got through the commoner. He decided to reason out but the commoner made it look like he got what the Prince meant.

 

“Oh. Okay. Have you eaten though? Kyungsoo brought rice rolls! You can just re-heat it.”

 

After that, Baekhyun stopped waiting and followed what he was asked to do.

 

Chanyeol should feel alright and at ease but his gut felt something wrong. He didn’t know what happened but the succeeding days felt weird. He had less paperworks and thought it’s a great opportunity to reach out to Baekhyun but the younger would always try to evade him. If they will happen to be in the dining area at the same time, Baekhyun would try his best to accomplish what he should do in a speed of light.

 

Even on weekends, he’d spend his day studying his extra language classes all by himself in his room and would only come out if Kyungsoo’s around.

 

Chanyeol knew he had to reach out to him or else they will never be comfortable with each other. So he did it one morning when he was lucky to find Baekhyun eating breakfast at the dining area. “Hey. This is sudden but would you like to watch a movie with me?” he asked casually, making the younger’s jaw drop.

 

“W-what… me?? Movie? With you? highness?”

Baekhyun’s stuttering made the prince chuckle at him. “Yes.” He shows the movie tickets he has from Yoora. “I hope you like Marvel movies? It’s this Thursday evening. I really hope you’re not busy.”

 

Baekhyun was busy that whole week but he had time to spare for the movie. “I’ll finish my research tonight, your highness!” the younger exclaimed.

 

“I take that as a yes, I suppose?” The prince asked awkwardly, scratching the back of his head.

It must be the Prince’s nice bashful smile that made Baekhyun’s heart flutter. “Yes, highness. I want to go..”

Chanyeol was pleased but he noticed the printouts scattered on the table when it seemed like they don’t have anything else to talk to again. By the looks of it, Baekhyun has a lot of assignments to do. “Do you want some help?” the prince kindly offered but Baekhyun being Baekhyun didn’t want to put extra burden to the prince.

“It’s fine, your highness! I can still manage…” he declines shyly. “T-thank you.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t try to convince the younger after. He let Baekhyun do it on his own. He respects Baekhyun and his drive to accomplish things on his own but it worries Chanyeol when he happened to overhear his conversation with a senior at the university library. He dropped by to get some books for his advanced studying and Baekhyun was occupying the study table few steps from him.

 

“I have an exam for my internship and I might not be able to do my part of the research. Can you cover up for me Byun?”

 

Chanyeol grits his teeth with his arrogant tone. It feels like he was actually ordering his fiancé and not a request.

 

“Uh.. but Junki-sunbae.. you only have a little to search about. Minah-sunbaenim already asked me to do her part because she called in sick…”

 

By the looks of the senior, Chanyeol can see that he’s taking advantage of Baekhyun. He raised his voice to the younger when Baekhyun politely declined the favor he’s asking. It was understandable, Baekhyun had a lot on his plate.

 

But the senior became cockier and rude.

 

“Can you not understand? I said I need time to review for my interview! This internship is important to me, are you that heartless? I was asking you nicely, Byun?! You can do it for Minah but can’t for me? Not even for a hyung?”

 

It was a lame excuse for Chanyeol. People work hard every day to survive and if you want to survive, you have to be dependent on your capabilities. If you are responsible enough, you would manage your time. University is about standing on your own feet, not making others do your job.

Baekhyun was basically humiliated and was forced to take the favor. When the senior was pleased and about to give Baekhyun’s back a whack, Chanyeol had to get in between.

“Are you ready to go home?” he asked a completely surprised Baekhyun. He had forgotten to take off his badge for med school and the senior behind him was utterly shocked to see Baekhyun with someone like him.

“O-oh… uhm. I still need to… finish….”

 

“It’s ten already. Let’s go home. It’s not your fault that your group mates are incompetent enough to do their part.”

 

The next thing Chanyeol knew, he was being held by the senior student on his collar. It was a commotion that drove Baekhyun nuts. He can see the zero s the prince is giving even though he’s being threatened.

 

“Tell it to my face one more time you bastard –“ the senior was fuming with anger. Baekhyun tried to lessen the tension but he was pushed to the side by the prince.

 

“Tell what to your face?” Chanyeol asks impassively, making the senior fume even more.

 

“Your highness. Let’s just go…” Baekhyun whispers from his side but Chanyeol didn’t look at him. .

 

“You think lowly of me just because you’re a med student, huh? Incompetent you say? Do you have a death wish?”

 

The prince scoffed and gripped the wrist of the senior tightly, enough to make him wince in pain. “It’s not my problem that my words got you. Have you heard a name? No. So if you don’t mind, let go of me.”

 

Chanyeol’s glare made the senior leave the place but of course with the threat of biting his back, but Baekhyun can see the prince cared less. “He pushed you.”

 

“I’m okay.” Baekhyun mumbles, “Were you hurt?”

 

“No. Let’s go home.”

 

Baekhyun thought the prince was angry at him because as soon as they reach the apartment, Chanyeol excused himself and went inside his room. He was quiet all throughout their car ride and Baekhyun doesn’t have the courage to start a conversation. The prince looked pissed.

 

The younger would make it up to him tomorrow for dragging him in a mess but that night, Baekhyun had to work on their research because he’s shouldering all of his group mates. It’s a waste that the groupings changed. If Minseok was with him, it’ll be easier since the elder works harder than anyone in their class.

The research subject was really easy but for one person to work on it, it requires a lot of effort and less sleep. It was a rough day too, not being able to eat lunch and dinner made Baekhyun’s body desire sleep. After finishing, the commoner decided that he’ll take a nap for an hour and then work on their presentation slides.

 

On the other room was Chanyeol who didn’t go ahead in his room to sleep in all honesty. He remembered seeing the title of Baekhyun’s research and recalled that he worked on that subject too, back in Cambridge. He was working on it because the younger can use it as a material. It was past one in the morning when he decided to give it to Baekhyun.

 

The prince didn’t have to knock on the younger’s room. Baekhyun forgot to close his door and the prince sighed upon seeing that Baekhyun passed out, his head rested on his study table. Putting the printouts he has for Baekhyun down, Chanyeol carried Baekhyun to his bed so he can rest better. If he would sleep like that, it would be bad for his spine.

 

The younger really looked tired and the prince can’t help but to be worried for him. He looked around inside the room and saw how much effort Baekhyun is doing for other people’s sake. Chanyeol was startled when Baekhyun’s phone alarm rang. How can he let the alarm cut Baekhyun’s sleep when the younger looked like he needed and enjoying it?

*******

“Oh goodness.” Baekhyun cries upon realizing that it’s already seven in the morning and that he overslept on his ever so comfy bed. He was dazed for a little and wondered how in the world did he move to his bed when he was too dead-tired to move from his study table?

 

Running to his study table, he was utterly shocked to know that the presentation he should be rushing was neatly finished. Surely, his laptop didn’t do it on his own. He quickly dashed outside his room and saw the prince working in the kitchen. His footsteps were loud enough to be noticed but it was the way he fell on the flooring that made Chanyeol look at him.

 

Baekhyun groaned, making the prince crouch down beside him.

 

“What’s with the rush? Can you stand?” Chanyeol asked worried, taking notice of Baekhyun’s cute bed hair.

 

“I might need help, your highness.”

 

“Put your hand on my shoulder, Baekhyun.”

 

“Wh-what?”

 

Well, Baekhyun’s question was unanswered because the prince already carried him as if he were carrying a weightless bride. “H-highness!” he gasps. “Oh my god – this – oh.”

 

“Don’t move or you’ll fall.”

 

The prince settled him on a high chair. Baekhyun can see that the prince had a good sleep because he was whistling a tune as he plates the omurice he’s cooking. “Running will be prohibited in this house, Baekhyun.” The prince tells him, placing a plate in front of him. “Eat.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t argue. He was starving and the prince’s omurice smelt nice. When he took a spoonful, he wasn’t able to hold back a delighted sound, forgetting the reason why he ran out of his room. “This is so good, your highness.”

 

The prince was satisfied to hear Baekhyun enjoying his food. “Chew your food well.” He reminded.

It was late though because Baekhyun already choked and it’s a good thing the prince was quick to offer him water.

 

“Your research was well written.” Chanyeol compliments and it made Baekhyun really happy. “I finished your slides since you looked really tired. Was it always like that? Are your seniors passing all the workload on you?”

 

“Uhm..” Baekhyun bites his lip. Would he be lectured for letting his seniors do that to him? The prince in front of him was frowning just like when he spilled his raspberry juice on his shirt. “I – well.”

Instead of a lecture, Baekhyun was surprised when he received a pat on the head. Gentle pats from the prince. “University really if you have block mates like that. I hope you get decent group mates in the future.”

 

“You’re not angry???”
“Why would I be angry?”
“You’re frowning.”

 

“Oh…” Chanyeol blinks and stared at Baekhyun. The younger immediately bowed his head because he can’t really make an eye contact with the prince for too long. “I’m worried.” The prince heaved a deep sigh. His frown really scares people and Baekhyun is one of the many people who misunderstands his default face. “Next time, if you’re having a hard time, come to me. I’ll help you.”

 

“Wouldn’t that be a burden? You’re busier than me -” Baekhyun peeks shyly at the prince. He really looks good. He thought. His ears looked really cute and distracting “how can I even repay you with this kindness, your highness?”

 

“The movie, Baekhyun. ” The prince, for the nth time made Baekhyun’s heart skip a beat when he tilted his head to one side cutely. “No bailing out, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

The smile never left Baekhyun’s face all day because of the Prince’s invitation. Minseok was, at first delighted that Baekhyun was smiling unlike the past days wherein he’s dreading. However, his too much happiness made him lose focus and later creep the elder out. It seems like nothing will make his day wrong, Baekhyun was sure of it.

 

His perfect day turned into a nightmare when their professor in research studies stormed inside their room. The professor’s anger really scared the hell out of Baekhyun and his guaranteed happy day vanished.

 

“You better be honest right now – did all of you contribute efforts in your finished works? Lie to me and I swear you wouldn’t like to be under detention.”

 

Minseok told him that the students from the other class didn’t really give efforts in her subject that’s why the professor was fuming and flipping. They spent their whole session reporting about the different topics and the professor was pleased to see each and everyone in their class did their all to study from self research.

 

All was smooth and good, their professor was pleased with the class until it was his own group who had to do the reporting. He studied and thanks to the prince, it was easier to explain what he researched but his two other group mates didn’t know the contents at all. They were sent to detention right after class. As punishment, they have to do another research paper to be passed Monday the following week and spent up till evening arranging documents for the whole faculty.

 

Baekhyun thought his bad day would be over but Junki, the senior he’s group with blamed him for the extra work they have. It was near seven in the evening, just in time to meet up with the prince. He was on his way to meet the prince at the parking area when he was harshly pulled by unknown students at the empty resting place near their building.

 

It was Junki’s friends.

“Because of you, I had to do a research again.”

Baekhyun was harshly shoved on a wall and it really hurt his back. “I – I didn’t know this would happen”

 

“Because you’re stupid! You should’ve sent the file after you finished but damn, your pea brain dadn’t thought of it right?”

 

There was a punch felt on his sides and immediately made him fall onto the ground. Baekhyun curled because of pain. He wanted to cry. People in Seoul are starting to scare him. The people in Guryong never treated him like this. The kids looked scary but they were never aggressive towards anyone. Whatever the senior was shouting wasn’t registering to his brain.

 

“Yah. Stand up.”

Baekhyun can’t, that’s why the two other men anchored him. The senior cupped his face roughly, hurting him again. “You have to do my research you hear me? The professor is for giving me a freaking night to research on everything. Do it.”

 

“I – I can’t.” Baekhyun mumbled. He promised the night for the Prince… he doesn’t want to be anyone’s dog too.

 

Baekhyun didn’t care if he got slapped after talking back, the taste of blood filling his mouth. No matter how many times the senior hurt him, he wouldn’t say yes to him. He was panting when he was cornered on a wall, feeling all the pain in his body. The senior looked really pissed and Baekhyun’s still stubborn, not willing to do the order. All he can think of was the prince, waiting for him at the parking lot. Did he wait for him or did he leave already? That’s when Baekhyun’s tears started pooling.

 

He looked forward to spending time with the Prince. He feels like it was a rare experience and that he’s lucky…

 

He knew he’d be punched in the face for being a crybaby and he had no motivation to dodge. Baekhyun waited for the blow and hoped that if he gets punched in the face, it will be over.

 

Baekhyun waited with his eyes closed but all that registered on his brain was the grunts of the students that cornered him. As soon as he opened his eyes, he sees a familiar figure giving merciless punches to his senior and in just a blink, his senior was writhing in pain on the ground. His condition made it hard for him to recognize the person who helped him and he can only take a hopeful guess because of the person’s broad shoulders and mop of curly hair.

“Can you run?” Chanyeol turns to him, grabbing his cold hand, tightly. Baekhyun didn’t know if he can but he nodded and followed the prince when he dragged him for a run. The prince who was ahead of him wasn’t looking behind and failed to see that it was really hard for him to catch up because of his shorter legs. One big stride of Chanyeol required more steps from him.

 

They were huffing and out of breath when they reached the university’s main gate. The prince thought it’s a safer place now that there are guards around. He turns and looked at his small fiancé who was coughing as he catches his breaths. “Where’s your shoe?” the prince shrieks, holding Baekhyun on his shoulders.

 

“I – I…”

 

Baekhyun’s state was awful – he was sweating real hard, dirt all over his clothes and body and missing a shoe. The commoner laughed in all of this and Chanyeol was confused. “What’s so funny?”

“It just – it just rang a good memory from my childhood, highness.” The younger said sweetly and it’s somehow a magic that it made the prince laugh his relief out. “my shoelaces were untied and the shoe slipped off my feet.”

Chanyeol was glad that Baekhyun didn’t look traumatized with what had happened. Of course, he’ll take action of the assault tomorrow. He doesn’t have classes and he’s going to make sure that senior who hurt Baekhyun will suffer the consequences of his actions. They are still holding each other’s hand until Baekhyun became aware of it.

 

The prince’s hand was bigger and his finger’s are thicker too. Such a large hand that could make a weak person like him feel safe. It was really warm like it’s inviting you to hold it forever.

 

His heart…

 

His heart would explode any minute if the prince didn’t let go of him.

 

Baekhyun had to think of a way for them to let go that would not make the atmosphere awkward but he is already feeling awkward. Was he enjoying it? Yes. He likes the prince’ hand. “Ah!” he exclaimed, retrieving his hand to look at his watch. It was an instant excuse to escape the prince’s hold but it made him a little bit upset. “Movie! The movie! We still have ten minutes left?? Can we still go?”

 

Chanyeol was hesitant to go already since he witnessed Baekhyun being hit. He at least wanted his fiancé checked by the university nurse but the look on the younger’s eyes screams he wanted to go badly. “Well.. if you still want to go… you sure you’re not hurt?”

 

“Yes! I’m good, your highness!” Baekhyun smiles, even though his legs are actually hurting.

 

The prince agreed. They are lucky that there’s not much traffic that night and they arrived at the cinema only fifteen minutes late. It’s also a good thing that Chanyeol had spare shoes in his car, Baekhyun was able to be saved in the embarrassment of walking around the mall with only one shoe.

 

“Highness?” Baekhyun mumbles as the prince looked at the list of food they can buy as they watch the movie.

 

“Do you like nachos or hotdogs? I think a heavy snack should do? Don’t you think?” the prince tells him, eyes on the menu.

 

Standing beside the prince, Baekhyun took a look not at the menu but at the prince who looked serious on picking their food.

 

This man will be my husband.. Baekhyun thought. “How did you know I was in trouble?”

 

Chanyeol looks down at Baekhyun after taking two hotdog sandwiches and a large coke as their order. “Minseok was it – your friend? He approached me.”

“Minseok hyung?”

 

“He told me what happened so I decided to come for you. It just happened that I arrived at the right time to save you.”

“You did.” Baekhyun blushes, looking at his hand as if it were the most interesting hands in the world.

 

The prince watched him and unconsciously smiled. “The movie is starting. You know the seats, right?”

“Why?”
“Go ahead first. I need to buy something.”

 

Baekhyun wanted to ask why but the prince already shoved the food he brought into his arms and made a run. He followed what the prince asked and enjoyed the movie even if he missed the opening part. Thirty minutes later and the prince was still not beside him.

 

The movie became boring all of a sudden – everyone around him had someone to talk to but only he was alone. Baekhyun was about to come out of the cinema when he sees a familiar tall figure coming towards him, carrying a paper bag that probably came from a store. Did the prince went shopping?

 

“Sorry.” The prince mumbles because he knows with his height, it blocked other people’s view. He sat down, closely with Baekhyun and smiled. “I didn’t know it’ll take me too long. Were you lonely?”

 

“…”

“Ahh. You weren’t.” Chanyeol pretended to be disappointed “Where’s our drink?”

 

“Eh?” our drink?

“Ah! There.” Chanyeol reached for the coke on Baekhyun’s side and took a sip, making the younger’s eyes go wide.

 

“I drank in that, your highness.”

Chanyeol looked like he didn’t care. He was thirsty and he doesn’t have the time to be the hygienic person he is. The reason why he bought a for sharing drink is that the snack bar didn’t have plastic cups in stock. That was the only cup available and it’s better than having none to quench your thirst right? “That’s why the straw tasted sweet. Your lips must’ve tasted sugary?” he kids.

 

Baekhyun felt the steam coming out of his head and stayed quiet the whole time. When the movie finished and all the people are starting to desert the place, the prince pulled him to sit back. He puts out a box from the paper bag and showed Baekhyun a pair of new and branded running shoes. “I hope I got your size correctly. Try it.”

 

“Your highness –“ Baekhyun was speechless. It was too much already that the prince brought him to movies. Baekhyun wasn’t able to move in his place. He doesn’t know if he should decline the gift. Chanyeol, who grew impatient with Baekhyun lifted the younger’s foot and was the one who fit the shoes he bought for him.

“You look like a penguin wearing my shoes.” The prince teases, making the younger flustered even more. “It looks nice on you. I got the right size too.”

“But highness –“

 

Yoora was right… the prince was stubborn and wouldn’t let you to say no to him. Baekhyun had no choice but to let the prince have his way and thanked him for the gift.

 

 

*****

 

 

Chanyeol wakes up with the sunlight hitting his eyes. It hurt. He wanted to sleep a little bit more but by the way the sun was doing his job, shining and spreading warmth all over the house, the prince decided that it’s time to wake up already.

The house was quiet, that’s why Chanyeol decided to check on Baekhyun first. Surprisingly, his bed was already arranged and empty. He checks his phone and saw that the younger’s only class for today starts at ten. It’s just eight and he’s too early to leave the house.

Chanyeol checked the kitchen next and noticed a note pinned on the fridge by a strawberry magnet. It must be Yoora’s idea to have this kind of cute magnets.

“I ordered breakfast for you, your Highness. You can just reheat it if you like it! Have a nice day! –Baekhyun”

The younger went to school too early and the prince was left all alone again. Last night was really fun but the prince would never be at peace until he sees a proper punishment to Baekhyun’s senior. He told Kyungsoo what happened and asked him if there’s CCTV around the area where Baekhyun was bullied. 

It should be a lesson not only to those three students but for the rest of the students at the university. Picking on the weaker makes the world an evil place and Chanyeol, as an advocate of human rights and welfare will do his best to make the university less toxic.

 

Of course, Kyungsoo already looked at the downside of what the prince wanted to do. They could get back on Baekhyun because of the sanctions they can get for hitting a lower classman and Chanyeol knew that as well.

 

“Don’t worry, Kyungsoo. I’ll fetch him.” Chanyeol assured the doe eyed assistant when he voiced out his worry. Actually, Chanyeol thought of coming to the university with Baekhyun already since their schedules aren’t that far apart.

 

After eating the breakfast Baekhyun prepared for him, Chanyeol decided to get the clothes he neatly arranged at the spare cabinet in Baekhyun’s room. It has been there for weeks already and Baekhyun might have the need for it already. He looked around the room as he rests for a while before getting his things.

 

The prince noticed how messy Baekhyun’s table is. He takes a look in the stack of books and noticed that it’s a mix of science, Korean history, English and Etiquette. There are a lot of folded pages in each books and Chanyeol was entertained with the cute notes he’d written on his own textbooks. It might be his way of studying. His English book is filled with simple phrases that shows he’s slowly learning. When he browses his etiquette book, he noticed short poems written at the empty spaces of it.

 

Chanyeol suspects that the etiquette book bores him a lot.

It’s the same for him. He never liked etiquette classes with Ms. Tae before. He feels like a robot when he complies whatever is asked of him.

 

What really amazed him was an illustration Baekhyun drew out of boredom.

It was two figures. One was shorter, dressed in tatty clothes while being held securely by the other figure, wearing hanbok. Baekhyun probably imagined them together.

 

The younger must’ve thought his prince was perfect and sweet but sure, he can protect him. He was able to do so last night.

 

Chanyeol has to guide and protect Baekhyun from now on. He can’t have his commoner fiancé be a leeway for the antis to talk poorly of the royal family.

 

They have a lot of problems at the moment due to the incoming ascension of his father to the throne.

 

Was their soon to be marriage a Cinderella love story for Baekhyun? A rags to riches type of chick flick?

Chanyeol hopes he can be like the Prince in the story too.

He thinks if he can fall in love with Baekhyun over night, he’ll be able to say that he’s happy to be part of the royal family and do this job given by the King.

 

For now, in reality, he’s not the prince Baekhyun expects him to be.

 

 

****

Baekhyun appeared really tired as if they were given a very difficult workload. Minseok noticed the younger boy was yawning all throughout the class and if he’s not tapping him on the knee, he might’ve fallen asleep during the lecture. “You okay?” Minseok asks him immediately after class. Baekhyun yawned again and nodded.

 

“I’m okay hyung.” The younger smiles, not as bright as yesterday. It was like a smile that doesn’t want to worry anyone. “It’s just that being called to the faculty has drained all of my energy.”

 

He didn’t know how the faculty knew about his assault. He wasn’t lectured but rather, he was asked what had happened last night. There was a CCTV footage and Baekhyun, though he doesn’t want to put Junki into further trouble, was forced to tell what really happened. Chanyeol was seen in the CCTV as well and saying the truth is his own way to protect the prince from being sanctioned.

 

Junki was suspended for a week. Baekhyun hoped he wouldn’t do dirty tricks anymore and let the sanction be the reason for him to stop bothering him.

“Lighten up, Baekhyun!” Minseok gave a cheering smile. He wanted to ask what happened to him when he went to the faculty and where did he get the bruises he has on his arms but chose not to, since the younger looked stressed enough. Junki was also giving him threatening glares that made Minseok curious but then again, he didn’t ask anymore. “Ah! I have a coupon for free drinks at that newly opened milk tea cafe. We should go!”

 

That invitation made Baekhyun go back to his normal energetic self. One thing about him is that he’s not difficult to excite. The simple things make Baekhyun happy. Minseok was sharing pictures of his pet dog’s litters. She gave birth earlier than schedule but all of the pups are healthy. “I’ll give you one pup but only after a month okay? They still need their mom for milk – unless you can feed them?”

 

Baekhyun laughs at the remark the elder gave and decided to pick the black one. Since Minseok already took in a lot of stray dogs, it is best to give away the puppies to those who can take care of them. Baekhyun with the help of anti allergy meds can tolerate the fur now. “Let’s name him?”

 

“Ah.” Baekhyun paused, and remembered Chanyeol. He’s staying at the same house owned by the royal family. It meant that the house is basically the Prince’s property. He was about to back out from the offer, and consult first if he’ll allow it but a group of gushing female freshmen took his attention. The both of them looked at the direction they’re going.

 

“Who’s that? A celebrity?” Minseok mumbles to Baekhyun, curious like the students near them. The man was very flashy and eye catchy because of his posture and face. Baekhyun cant believe what he’s seeing.

 

It was the Prince! Standing at the waiting shed, dressed casually. He looked like he was waiting for someone, looking at his phone then around the area repetitively. His bushy hair really suits him and for the nth time since yesterday, his heart wanted to leap outside his chest when the Prince spotted him. How can he be so good looking with just a shirt and tracking pants on him? Was he starting to make home looks trendy?

 

The prince paced towards him and he was in front of him in no time thanks to his long legs. He wasn’t aware that he and Minseok had their mouths agape because of the Prince’s presence.

 

“Hi,” The prince greeted him as he closed Baekhyun’s mouth using his own hand. “I was contacting you.”

 

Baekhyun immediately searched his phone and saw that he has a few calls from an unknown number. He looked at the Prince, unable to process what was happening.

“I was around the area and thought of meeting up with you.” Chanyeol continues talking but it doesn’t register on Baekhyun’s mind. He’s just staring at the prince blankly. The prince noticed Minseok, confused and boggled. “Is it a bad time? Do you have plans with your friend?”

 

Silence. There was silence no matter how many times Minseok nudged Baekhyun, he wouldn’t answer.

 

“No – no.” Minseok answered, pinching Baekhyun so hard and it was a success to pull Baekhyun out from b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter