six

what's better than i love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The past two months were quite eventful for Chanyeol. He couldn’t even imagine how he managed to survive making the biggest decisions in his life.

When Jongin called him about Luhan’s car accident, he almost lost it. He didn’t know what to do.

 

He was devastated to know that he was wheeled in the operating room because he was badly injured. Yes, Luhan was an ex-boyfriend but Chanyeol can never forget the years they’ve been together.

He was the Chinese Doll of Cambridge. Though he looked soft, he’s a man with the strength of ten.

Luhan was his first boyfriend,

 

His first love,
His first heartbreak,
The one that got away.

 

Luhan was his every first and even though their break up was ty to the point that they’ve hurt each other to core, he still has a special place in his heart.

 

“He needs us, Chanyeol.” Jongin tells him.

 

That enough made him begged Yoora to arrange a flight for him to Cambridge as soon as possible. Luhan doesn’t have a family.

 

He knows it was unfair for the people he will be leaving behind -- especially Baekhyun. Chanyeol was ashamed of making Baekhyun cry but the younger didn’t put a nail in his heart despite of his rash decisions, instead, he was supportive and understanding.

 

Jongin couldn’t fetch him at the airport because he couldn’t leave Luhan alone. The operation was successful but there’s no guarantee that he’ll wake up and that scared Chanyeol the most.

He had a lot to say to Luhan. He had a lot to thank and apologize for.

The two of them waited at the waiting lounge. Jongin was reminiscing his good fights with him and Chanyeol stayed quiet. He wanted Luhan to wake up.

 

“Why did you broke up with him by the way? Lu wouldn’t tell me either.”

 

Chanyeol was forced to tell his best friend. “It started when he got pregnancy scare and decided to break it up with me. Our relationship was on and off. I tried to patch it up by asking his hand in marriage but I got engaged. My grandfather arranged me with some kid. That’s the time I had to withdraw.”

 

Jongin groaned, frustration hitting up the ceiling of the hospital.

He was whining because he couldn’t understand why in the world his family would put him in an arranged marriage. He thinks arranged marriage rips of the right of people to decide and said something a lawyer would say.

 

It was funny when Chanyeol disclosed his real identity to his best friend about being the prince and part of the royal family. It was about time for him to know but his soon-to-be-lawyer friend finds it hard to believe. He even punched him in the gut, thinking that it’s a bad time to joke but Chanyeol had his proofs.

 

Jongin had to believe him whether he likes it or not.

He also introduced Baekhyun and Jongin said he was his type. That’s when Chanyeol gave a payback on the punch he’d given. He doesn’t want anyone ogling his precious fiancé.

Their stress disappeared when the doctors told them that Luhan was awake already. Their celebratory moment was cut off quickly when the surgeon told them the repercussions of the surgery.

He wouldn’t be able to do the things he used to do with his badly injured hands. Knowing that he’s a neurosurgeon, he had to stop getting inside the operating room.

Jongin and Chanyeol knew it would be a blow to Luhan.

He loved his job. It was his life.

When Luhan woke up, the first one he saw was Chanyeol. There was a big smile on his face and he was able to recognize him. “Yeolie.” He called, sweetly.

Chanyeol thought he had forgotten the way he made his heart flutter just by calling him Yeollie.

 

Until he tried to move his fingers and found it hard to even lift it up. Luhan went furious, screaming and crying at the same time. Chanyeol had to hold him until a nurse comes in to calm him.

He was depressed after realizing what happened to him and it pained Chanyeol to see him crying every time he sees his hands.

Luhan would only calm down if he comes to his side and hug him until he falls asleep.

Chanyeol knew he couldn’t leave Luhan.

 

He was too focused on taking care of him that he even forgot about Baekhyun who was always messaging him every day without fail.

 

Being back with Luhan gave him so much to remember and he felt that their old, died down flame for each other lit up in an instant.

He thought about the time he pictured Luhan to be his husband, the one to carry his children.

 

Thus, it made him decide to drop out of med school for a semester.

 

Everyone was mad for his impulsive decision.

 

Everyone but Baekhyun.

 

When he’s feeling down, the commoner was and always will be the first person that comes inside his mind. His fiancé was, as always, understanding.

Hearing his voice made him remember how much he looked forward going home from med school just to eat dinner with him. Chanyeol remembered all the things they’ve shared with each other and how the commoner made him feel like he is a normal person.

 

He was able to face all the consequences for his decisions because of Baekhyun.

 

Then Baekhyun made him confused of his feelings until he was shaken by his own realization when he was on his way to buy new comforters for Luhan to use and happened to pass by a jewelry shop.

 

He was just looking and saw a unique Cartier ring. According to the salesperson, the rings they have was the only pair that existed around the world.
“This will look good on Baekhyun.” He thought with a big smile etched on his face – a smile that he unconsciously lost when he returned to Cambridge.

 

He was taken aback with what he said then that made it easier for him to know.

 

He was in love with Baekhyun.
He wanted Baekhyun to wear the matching rings with him.

 

He might not be able to notice it till then but he learned to love Baekhyun. The younger’s care for him grew inside him.

 

Jongin called him Prince impulsive when the latter learned that he bought an expensive engagement ring and of wasting the people’s money

Chanyeol shrugs off the teases because to be truthful, he has never been so sure in his entire life.

 

He promised himself that once Luhan regained his strength, he’ll come back to his home.

 

However, Luhan wasn’t fully recovered when the crown princess asked him to come home. It was urgent and very important.

The Chinese guy understood that he had to go home. He knew who Chanyeol was. It has always been “family first” for the Prince.

 

Chanyeol was excited to come home. He wanted to see Baekhyun and hug him tight. He knows what’s waiting for him was purely bad news and with Baekhyun by his side, Chanyeol knows he can make through it.

 

Kyungsoo told him that Baekhyun’s schedule for the whole day was to give out flyers to recruit members for Yellow Cross. As soon as he landed in the country, he drove immediately to Seoul University to meet up and probably confess right away to the commoner. Chanyeol wanted Baekhyun to know his feelings.

Since it was the Foundation week, the whole university was bustling with people. Chanyeol had a hard time finding Yellow Cross’ booth. Chanyeol’s heart was pounding. He was looking forward to see Baekhyun’s smile.

Chanyeol had to ask several students where Yellow Cross is and it turns out that they are actually roaming around with a mascot. He only found who he was looking for when someone shouted his name.

 

“Byun Baekhyun!”

The prince knew that voice and found Sehun not far from where he is. By the way his former classmate smiled as he uttered his fiance’s name ignited something in him. He followed where he was looking and found Baekhyun inside a yellow dinosaur costume, sweaty and flushed.

 

He was smiling.
At Sehun.
The way
He used to
With him.

 

Baekhyun made a run towards Sehun excitedly. They were playing with each other and Chanyeol wanted to be the reason why he laugh so hard to the point that he wanted to roll on the ground to ease himself.

 

For the first time, Chanyeol felt severely hurt.

 

It felt like Baekhyun wasn’t bothered with his absence because he has Sehun to make him happy.

 

It felt bitter.

He ended up not approaching Baekhyun and went on his way to the Palace.

 

Arriving home, Ms. Tae has escorted him to the King’s study hall. His family was gathered around the table and everyone was quiet. They aren’t looking at each other. They couldn’t even hide how antsy they were on their places.

 

When he sat down, the crown prince cleared his throat and looked at him and Yoora.

 

Crown Prince Jungsoo handed the both of them an envelope and they were instructed to open it.

Chanyeol instantly recognized the man on the picture Yoora was holding. “Sehun?”

 

The crown princess turned to him. “You know him?”

“He’s my friend.” He said. “He’s friends with Baekhyun too.”

It was hard to process everything for him especially the unreadable faces in front of him. Chanyeol had questions as to why they have Sehun’s picture that looked like it was taken without him knowing.

“So it’s true?” Yoora stood up from where she is seated and placed down another paper that looks like a medical record. “The rumors are true that you had an affair aside from mom’s?”

 

The room was quiet and Chanyeol didn’t want to believe it. He will never believe it.

 

His father could never find someone else. They love each other.

He took the photo and noticed a DNA test along with it. With Sehun’s name and the crown Prince’s name.

“What is this?” was all he was able to ask. “No… it can’t be.”

Chanyeol looked at his mother and felt anger the moment she looked at him with pained eyes. “Sehun’s your half-brother. He’s here after a long time of hiding with his mom. He’s here and he’ll stay with us for good.”

“Chanyeol.” The King called upon seeing how anger seethed out of him. “I want the both of you… to welcome Sehun tonight. He will be staying with us from now on.”

Chanyeol clenched his fist and turned to face the King.

 

The King’s word is the law.

 

No matter how much he hates it, he had to follow what was ordered to him. It doesn’t matter whether it processed inside his mind or not. He has to it up. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

*******

Baekhyun feels energized even after a tiring day. The first day of the foundation week was hectic but fun because he was working with friends. His happiness was overflowing because visited his grandfather with Sehun and brought him his favorite odeng.

That’s why when he stepped inside the Hwa House, he was clueless on why it was quite gloomy.

Ms. Tae greeted him, notifying him that the royal family was at the meeting hall.

That meant he’s alone.

 

“Baekhyun-ssi. I know you’ll be delighted. The prince already arrived home and in his room.” Ms. Tae told him and Baekhyun might’ve forgotten his manners because he literally dropped down everything he was holding to run upstairs and greet the prince.

His footsteps were loud, enough to alert the prince who was holed up in his room, all throughout the evening. He didn’t need to knock because the moment he reached the prince’s room, the door opened.

“Your highness!” he exclaimed, launching himself to the prince excitedly. It was good the prince was able to balance despite of his weight and didn’t fell on the floor because that would hurt.

 

And then there were sobs.
Quiet sobs.
Chanyeol can feel the tears wetting his neck and because of it, he hugged his commoner fiancé tighter. “I missed you.”
“I missed.” Sobs. “You too!”

 

Unfortunately, it was only a scenario happened inside his hopeful mind.

 

He was a chicken and didn’t have the courage to do that despite of wanting to be held by the man he’s been waiting to see for the past weeks.

 

He stood in front of the Prince’ room and contemplated whether he’ll knock on his door or let him rest.

He was about to do the latter choice but the Prince’s room suddenly creaked open, making Baekhyun tongue tied and frozen.

“Hey.” Was all the prince said and he was equally surprised to see the commoner. “You’re home.”

“Yes...” Baekhyun fidgets on his spot. It was awkward. “Welcome home.”

 

“Thank you.”

The commoner finds it odd. His conversation with the prince was dry that, making him speechless. “You… should’ve messaged me. I could’ve gone home early and prepared you something.”

“You were busy.” The prince looked at him. Exhausted but he’s trying his best to smile. “You’ve grown a little bit of weight while I am away.” he said, changing the topic. “Were you that happy while I was gone?”

 

Baekhyun knew he shouldn’t be hurt for a teasing.
Does he looked like he was happy without him? After all the tears he shed while he was away? Was it bad that he tried to stop his moping so that the prince can see that he wouldn’t have to worry about him when he leaves?

Baekhyun shrug off the ugly pain he felt on his chest. the prince doesn’t mean anything.

“Ms. Tae’s food stuffed me. By the way… is… Luhan okay now? Is it okay to leave him?”

“Why? Would you like me to stay longer in Cambridge?”

Baekhyun distanced himself and looked at the prince and looked at the prince.

 

He really felt indifferent.

“Is… something wrong?” Baekhyun bravely asked and it was very timely that Yoora arrived. She had the same smile the prince gave him earlier.

“Hello, Baekhyun. Come down okay? Dinner’s served.”

Baekhyun was lost. He doesn’t know why everyone is gloomy and he wished the prince could explain to him.

“Your highness?”

“It’s nothing you can help.”

The prince said coldly – yes, Baekhyun knows when he’s just plain impassive or cold -- leaving him all alone to follow Yoora downstairs.

 

It’s unfair. Baekhyun thought the prince was being unfair. He had to get answers. He wanted to know what’s happening and if he did something wrong. He had been patient when the prince left without giving him his reasons

He made a run and went after the prince and was surprised to see Sehun standing face to face with Chanyeol. Both of their face were unreadable.

“You’re back.” Sehun told him, trying to lessen the silence of the area by conversing to an impassive Prince. “When?”

 

“Just today.”

 

“Oh. I see.”

Sehun looked at Baekhyun as if he was trying to suppress his emotions. Baekhyun was about to greet him but his friend looked away and went inside the dining area.

The commoner didn’t need to ask what was happening. He already patched up everything by recalling Sehun’s stories.

The family… he’s going to join was none other than the Parks. The royal family.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t believe to see Sehun, eating quietly with them, responding when’s he’s being asked.

 

The commoner kept on observing and it feels so nerve wrecking to eat with the family. It’s not like he doesn’t like it. He doesn’t have a say on it in the first place.

 

Imagining him on the prince’s place, it’s just hard to get used to it because it’s the King's decision. It’s not an easy thing to accept.

 

He understood now why the prince was under the weather. If for him, the current situation he’s seeing was hard to understand completely, what more for the prince and Yoora? Surely they were hurting.

it was disturbingly quiet. The only thing that can be heard was the utensils hitting the plate and the footsteps of the maids when they roam around to serve the family.

 

Sehun looked uncomfortable too. They’d exchange glances but Sehun was quick to shy away and it’s like he doesn’t know him

“How was it, Sehun?” the crown princess spoke. “I hope you liked the food.”

 

“Yes, your Highness.” He nodded quietly. “I just ate dinner that’s why I got stuffed quickly. Thank you very much.” He looked at the King and smiled. “It was nice to meet your family, Your Majesty.”

 

Prince Chanyeol roughly pushed back his chair and stood up. It made everyone surprised. “Thank you for the food.” He said as he wiped the corner of his mouth.

 

“Chanyeol, you barely touched your food.” The crown princess mumbled. “At least eat…”

 

“And see you pained all throughout this dinner?” the prince spat. “How can you – how can you all let my mother be slapped in the face over and over again? Having her tolerate eating with the reason why her heart breaks –“ he looked at Sehun who was already looking right back at him.

 

“Enough, Chanyeol.” The King said. He looked unbothered and continued eating his food. “You are excused and free to leave..”

 

When Chanyeol left the dining area, Baekhyun knew he had to follow him.

 

The commoner knows it’s bad manners to leave the dining table if the King is still not finished eating but it was the prince that he cared about at the moment.

It was natural for him to do it. It doesn’t need thinking because of the love he has for the prince was bigger than everyone else inside the area.

Little did he know that with what he did, someone’s heart kept on breaking.

 

Baekhyun tried to catch up even if the prince looked like he doesn’t want to talk to anyone.

He was ignored but it didn’t stop him from reaching out. When he finally grabbed the hem of the Prince shirt, it made the older stop on his tracks, Baekhyun took the opportunity to hug him from behind tightly.

“Your highness.” Baekhyun whispered, burying his face on the taller’s back. “Please don’t let your anger harden your heart.”

 

The prince sighed and his heart softened up upon hearing Baekhyun’s voice. “I - want to be alone and think about it.”

 

Baekhyun knows he has to let him go but his stubborn heart didn’t want to. Instead, he hugged the prince tighter as possible.

“I’m here. I am always here if you want to talk it out…”

Chanyeol lashed out his annoyance by punching the concrete wall near him and Baekhyun embraced him tighter as possible.

“Is it bad to be mad and confused? Is it bad that I couldn’t understand that Sehun has to be part of the family? I did my best to protect our family from scrutiny but what do we have here? Another scandal. Another heartache.”

 

“You’re tired that’s why you are confused, your Highness.” Baekhyun answered him, feeling the pain of the person he loves as well. “I’m sure no one can accept it in a day. Don’t force yourself to understand it quickly. You have to remember that you are human and acceptance takes time.”

The commoner felt the prince holding his hand, tightly. “I don’t know what to do…”

“For now.” Baekhyun mumbled, making the prince face him. The commoner wanted to take the pain he can see on his fiance’s eyes but he couldn’t. “Rest. You have to rest.”

******

Chanyeol finds it hard to adjust after Sehun moved to live with the family in the palace. It was weird for him that he chose to live with some of the elder but maybe it’s because he finds it hard to adjust as well. He couldn’t help but to show his side that was hard to crack. He was civil though, greeting his half-brother when they cross paths with each other but that’s it.

He made himself busy to forget everything that he’s scared of.

 

He was scared the public to know that his father had an affair during the course of his marriage with the crown princess. He couldn’t believe it at first but when he had the chance to talk to his mother, he learned that they aren’t the perfect couple people of Korea sees them to be.

It was an arranged marriage that didn’t work at first. Sehun’s mother was the crown prince’s past lover whom he never stopped loving even after having Yoora. When the crown princess learned about Sehun, being the fruit of his father’s disloyalty, the first thing she thought was to hold on. He was inside her that time he begged Sehun’s mother to leave quietly for their sake.

 

“I knew it was selfish but I don’t want the both of you to grow up having a broken family. I hid all the pain and forgave your father. I grew to love him. And my love grew to him. We became happy after Sehun’s mother left for good. Our family is important and a single mistake wouldn’t destroy it. I wouldn’t let it happen.”

His mother asked him a favor. To be kind and accepting.

 

“I don’t want you to be hurt. If this blew up I’d –“

“We’ve kept it for twenty five years and we were unfair to Sehun that had to grow up without knowing his family. We know we couldn’t keep Sehun a secret to our graves and I want him to be with his family – us.. I will be fine, son. I’m ready for anything.” The crown princess told him. It was a rare moment to be smothered with kisses by his mother but he enjoyed it. He felt happy.

 

Baekhyun kept on cheering him up by going home early. Chanyeol appreciated him making variety of food for him to eat. He knows Baekhyun has been devoted to Yellow Cross while he was away and he knows he will never have the heart to demand time from him after leaving him to be with Luhan.

He’s shameful to even think that he managed to ignore his messages because of his confusion of still being in love with his ex and demand lots of attention from him.

He’s lucky the commoner was kind enough to give it to him willingly.

 

He wanted a distraction and a comfort at the same time and Baekhyun’s the perfect person to do it.

 

Chanyeol wondered what would be his life without Baekhyun who taught him that his feelings are valid and that mistakes are normal? The commoner taught him to smile despite of being in the storm because it will always and always pass.

 

Baekhyun may not be able to change the circumstance his family was in but he managed to change his heart. Soften it even.

 

When Sehun was introduced to the other elders, Chanyeol finds it odd that they didn’t actually made a fuss, telling that they should just focus into honing his step brother on how to live like a royalty. Give him etiquette classes..

Grandfather Hae even suggested that he should be familiarized on how to work in the Blue House.

Something they didn’t allow Chanyeol to do.

The elders were different when his past decisions were put out for discussion. They were harsh on him, saying that as a future leader of the country, he would always think thoroughly of his actions.

 

Yoora, who was offended for him and knew something was up happening with the elders.

“Something really is weird.” He was the first to hear it from her. The princess knows Sehun’s appearance should be carefully investigated on.

Chanyeol didn’t want his sister to do it since Sehun stays as low-key as possible. He doesn’t do anything that harms his family. If there is something, he tries not to meet with them despite of living in the palace.

******

Chanyeol was beyond disappointed and jealous when the King and crown prince let Sehun learn the things around the Blue House but he shrugged off and continued doing his princely duties. He’s working on a project on helping out the people of Africa to have good source of potable water with Yoora’s help.

 

It was a project that was opposed by the elders. They said that he should focus first on the country but the crown princess was already focused and investing too much time on their people.

For him, his princely duties doesn’t and will not only be limited to his country but to the world.

If he has the capacity to extend help, he would.

He shouldn’t even be visiting the Blue House because he wanted to surprise Baekhyun at the university but Yoora asked him to get her the food she’s craving for because Junmyeon’s busy that’s why he had no choice.

He witnessed his father taught Sehun hands on. Something he didn’t do to him. He saw how good of a father he is to Sehun.

 

He was hurt.

 

Does he have to it up as well?

He heard few people talking about how the crown prince ordered to clear his schedule that afternoon and he doesn’t need to ask why.

The crown prince never cancelled a meeting just to teach him, let alone, laugh with him when he makes mistakes.

Chanyeol even heard him asking if Sehun wanted to play golf with him.

The prince remembered how hard it was for him when he makes mistakes and his teacher reports it to his father, he would get called in his study and get lectured like he was an adult. Even just a tiny mistake weighed like a ton.

It was unfair.

He was an adult though and shouldn’t make it a big deal.
Maybe they were trying to catch up with all the years they spent away from each other.

 

But to a son who always wanted a father figure, it was a hard pill to swallow.

Things became pretty chaotic when the King called him and Yoora about something they did that he disliked. The crown prince and princess was around as well.

“What has Sehun done to the both of you for you to ask Kyungsoo to tail him?” the King asked, obvious the he mad because he raised his voice.

He immediately looked at Yoora who was already frozen on his spot. She couldn’t handle it when the King talks to them as a grandfather in an angry tone.

Heck, he never even raised his voice to Yoora.

“Tell me. Why?”

“I was jealous of him. I want him out that’s why.” Chanyeol answered, lying and taking the blame. He didn’t know Yoora asked Kyungsoo to do an undercover and he doesn’t want his sister to be in trouble. She has been dragged when he made went back to Cambridge for Luhan. He doesn’t want her to be called incompetent again. “Isn’t it weird that he appeared out of nowhere just when you’re about to ascend?

 

The crown prince frowned. “I thought you’ll try your best to get along? Sehun was reaching out to you and you’re too blinded by your greed? You and Yoora should apologize.”

 

Chanyeol had to swallow his pride lumped on his throat. “If that’s what you want me to do, I’ll do it first thing in the morning tomorrow. Yoora doesn’t know anything about this.”

 

“You’re being childish and disappointing Chanyeol.” The crown prince added

 

“When am I even commendable to you, father?” Chanyeol asked bitterly, making everyone quiet down. He was looking impassively at his father. “When will I be the son you’ll be proud of? When are you aware of my achievements? My mistakes, big or small will always a big deal to you. I tried, father. I tried to be good but did you notice it? I’m only noticeable when I’m doing things wrongly and against you.”

 

 

He’s suffocated. He doesn’t know what to do. He doesn’t want to feel.

******

Things around the palace for Baekhyun was hard. It feels like everyone was having a hard time with the situation.

 

Sehun, after knowing that he’s brothers with Chanyeol went back on being distant to him. He doesn’t understand why. He knows it’s pretty hard for Sehun to adjust and maybe he had to wait for his siblings open up to him. He could see Chanyeol try acknowledging him little by little.

 

When he’s at the Hwa house, Baekhyun tries to communicate with him.

However, his attempts to make him feel less burdened was futile because it seems like Sehun tries to keep distance from him to the point that the latter also skips org meetings.

 

He’d always reason his extra classes at the Palace but Baekhyun knows… that wasn’t the real reason.

He wanted to help him get along with Chanyeol. They were once friends and he thinks they could work out on their relationship as brothers.

When he happened to meet Sehun accidentally at their headquarters, he knew it’s a good chance to talk.

 

“Hey –“

“I’ll just leave Minseok’s folders here.” Sehun cuts him, placing down few folders on Minseok’s table. “I had to go and do some research papers –“

“Sehun.” Baekhyun grabs his hand to stop him from leaving. “Let’s talk. I’m your friend and if you’re having a hard time, you could tell me.”

The taller pulls his hand back. “Don’t pity me.”

“I’m not –“

“Stop being nice! You think I didn’t notice it? It makes me want to loathe myself!”

Baekhyun doesn’t understand what’s happening with Sehun but chose to distance himself.

 

“I don’t deserve you and everyone else.. Sooner or later I’ll just end up hurting you.” Sehun’s words made Baekhyun quiet. “Why did I even … let you get close to me?” he asked before he storming out of the headquarters.

 

He was about to follow Sehun to clarify things but he got a call from an unknown number.

 

”Hey, Baekhyun. It’s Jongdae. Do you mind fetching Chanyeol? He’s pretty drunk and he’s being a pain in the .”

 

Baekhyun came rushing to the address Jongdae sent him. It wasn’t that far from the university and the commoner was surprised to see the Prince chugging on a bottle till it’s bottoms down. The first thing Baekhyun noticed upon getting close to him was his injured face.

 

“Wh-what happened???”

 

Jongdae grabbed a handful of his hair and sighed. “This is the first time we met after dropping out and this is what he did to me.”

 

“Did – did he got into a fight?”

 

“Thanks for noticing, Baekhyun! Yes! He freaking did punch someone else in the face because he’s too drunk.”

The prince smiled when Baekhyun took the bottle he’s about to open. “Baekhyunnie! My fiancé!”

 

“Yes. It’s me, Chanyeol. Come, let’s go home.”

Baekhyun smiled, sweetly as he helped Chanyeol stand up from his seat but the prince childishly whined, not wanting to move.

 

“Chanyeol? You dare call me Chanyeol? It’s Prince Chanyeol to you, commoner! I demand to stay here! Let go of me and let me drink!”

Baekhyun sighed defeated when the prince shove him away and grabbed a bottle to drink again. He’s glad that no one would take him seriously for telling the whole restaurant that he is the next in line to rule the country.

 

Jongdae chuckles. “Are you guys into weird ? Look at him being so so funny.” Baekhyun tilted his head to one side innocently. “Like cosplaying? You know what I mean?” Jongdae tried to make him understand but Baekhyun really didn’t get it.

“Wow. Chanyeol was really a gentleman.” He mumbled. “Forget it. You’re too innocent for this world. Anyway. I really need to leave. I need to have dinner with Minseok.”

“Why?”

 

Jongdae grinned and pulled out his wallet, revealing a sonogram to him. “We’re four weeks pregnant!”

 

“Wh-what? Wait? I’m sorry? How?” Baekhyun may be a little bit scandalous with the wait he raised his voice. The prince was laughing at him.

 

“They had ! Jongdae must have forgotten to use a when he stick his inside the ! Ahh! Lucky Minseok! He could bear a child! Congratulations my friend! Unlike Baekhyun. He still can’t make babies with me! How unfortunate!”

 

Baekhyun froze.

Chanyeol was drunk that's why he shouldn't take what he said about him not being able to bear a child offensive.

 

He was also red all over his face when he realized that Minseok and Jongdae did it. He just couldn’t think of the instance when they did the do and he doesn’t want to have images on how they did the do. It’s just surprising.

 

Maybe the pregnancy was the reason Minseok looked sick most of the time.

 

Eventually, Jongdae had to leave because he was running late and Minseok has been being harsh on him. Since Baekhyun doesn’t have the strength to drag the prince home, he decided to just let him drink and stay.

The prince wasn’t talking and Baekhyun was pained to see his prince looking so pained. “Highness.”

“Baekhyunnie. Do you want to know what happened today?”

The commoner nodded, subtly putting away all the bottles away from the Prince.

 

And there, the prince told him that he had a fight with the crown prince because he thought, they’re being unreasonable and unfair. Baekhyun kept listening, thinking of a way he could comfort his fiancé.

 

To be called a disappointment had a huge blow in him.

 

Chanyeol was doing a lot for his family, even compromising himself in difficult situations.

 

“Hug me, Baekhyun.” The prince pleaded. “Please hug me. It’s really painful… I don’t know what I should do…”

Baekhyun walked over and sat beside the prince. He remembered the way they cheer up each other. He wanted to put the smile on his face so he did. “Come here.”

 

Chanyeol immediately placed down his bottle and embraced the smaller the moment he opened his arms widely. Baekhyun can feel and smell the alcohol induced breath of the prince ghosting over his neck.

He wanted to do this. To hug the prince even when he doesn’t need it. He wanted to at least take the pain.

“I did everything to be a good son. I followed what they ask of me without any complaints. When they asked me to go home and be in an arranged marriage … they never heard me disapproving. I even cancelled my application at the best school back in Cambridge. I even broke up with Luhan because I know I had to be a good fiancé to someone I barely know.”

 

Baekhyun was quiet, hugging the prince tightly as he realized that Prince Chanyeol sacrificed so much of himself just to comply to their grandfathers.

The commoner was burdening the prince but he was only shown kindness and care.

“I’m sorry.” Baekhyun whispered but he felt the prince shaking his head.

“Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. You were forced on it too. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to love you…. -”

The prince fell asleep, not being able to continue everything he wanted to say.

“- sooner. It wasn’t love at first sight but I managed to fall for you. Every bits of you are very easy to love. I love you, Baekhyun. he mumbled inaudibly. He was gibberish, not making the commoner understand him.

It made Baekhyun conclude on the things he only heard. He was only a responsibility forced on the prince. He was right all along.

He had his heart broken a lot of times to the point that he lost count but this --- this is far by the worst yet he couldn’t get mad. The prince doesn’t know his feelings.

He was well aware that he was loving a person who’s in love with someone else and just like his grandfather told him, when you love someone truly, hurting comes in eventually in the picture. If you didn’t hurt, you didn’t love.

 

He still fell for the prince regardless of what he confessed. How can he not love Chanyeol? He doesn’t care anymore if it’s one sided or if the prince may never see him as someone he could love romantically.

He wanted to support him and be there when things are rough.

 

Instead of going home to the palace, Baekhyun decided that it’s best to bring Chanyeol home to their previous house. The commoner had to endure the puke of the prince on his clothes all their way home and had to carry him on his back to his old room.

 

His grandfather helped him change his clothes but Baekhyun was the one who sponge bathed him. He even treated his wounds from the brawl he got into.

“I’m sorry to be forced on you that you have to give up most of the things you worked hard for but thank you… for taking care of me. Thank you for making me know how it is to love someone. I hope I wouldn’t burden you anymore. I’ll take care of you.”

 

Baekhyun whispered, kissing the prince on his forehead head, praying that his pain will soon be gone.

 

The next morning, Chanyeol woke up to a headache and a painful body. He can only remember how he got wasted and the fight he started. When he was aware that he can’t remember anything after that, he wondered how he got home in their previous apartment.

Dragging himself to get out of his bed, he sees Baekhyun’s grandfather upon coming out of his room.

“Oh! You’re awake –“

 

“Sir –“

 

“That’s Grandpa to you!” the old man smiled. “Baekhyun prepared something for you to ease the ache in your head! Let’s eat breakfast too!”

Chanyeol followed the old man and he didn’t felt awkward though it’s the first time they formally met because he was nice and welcoming just like Baekhyun.

“Wondering where Baekhyunnie is?” the old man asked, giving Chanyeol a mug of warm water and honey to relieve the throbbing in his head.

“Is… Baekhyun… the one who brought me here?”

“Who do you think? This old man in front of you?” he giggled, teasing Chanyeol. “You were not quite a drinker. I suggest that you take it moderately next time.”

Chanyeol was horrified when Baekhyun’s grandfather told him everything he did last night. He couldn’t imagine Baekhyun’s tolerance when he puked on him and his hardship when he carried someone twice his weight.

After eating, Chanyeol took a quick bath and decided to go to the university to check on Baekhyun. When he thought again of the whole reason why he got drunk, it doesn’t felt heavier unlike yesterday. It’s like the void he has for not being able to have the father figure he wanted was filled by something else. Something worthy.

 

“Chanyeol.” Baekhyun’s grandfather called him. “Can we talk before you go?”

 

“Yes, Grandpa.”

 

The old man sighed. “I just want to apologize for asking too much on you. The arrange marriage, taking care of Baekhyun, sacrificing a lot for him. I apologize… for my selfishness on wanting to give the best life for Baekhyun. I am old, uneducated and I lacked the capacity to raise him in a well environment.”

“Baekhyun… My Baekhyun might be a burden but … I can see how much he gives importance to you. I hoped you can see that and see it as something you can use to learn and love him. If you really can’t then tell me so I can ask your grandfather to invalidate our agreement. He has given us too much already for a simple help I did for him. I don’t want my grandson to get hurt in the future.”

 

“He’s not a burden to me sir.” Chanyeol cleared. “If he’s anything else, it’s all good things. I – I don’t want to hurt him that’s why… I’ll do my best to take care of him as much as I can.”

******

It was tough last night and Baekhyun had a hard time understanding why he’s seeing Sehun’s resignation letter for the organization on his table.

It has been days they haven’t talk and Baekhyun distanced himself just like how Sehun wanted. Minseok had a break down because of mixed sadness and the hormones kicking inside him because of it.

He had to talk to Sehun and ask what was wrong. He loved the organization, Baekhyun knew it and he doesn’t want his friend to drift away from everyone over something he didn’t know.

He went out of their college building and searched for Sehun. He tried going to the med school but he didn’t find him. Baekhyun went to every place that was possible for Sehun to stay in. He’s not around in the med school grounds, not in the university field.

His feet are growing tired but his brain commands him to continue searching for his friend. He was in a rush that he had knocked someone off along the way accidentally, delaying him on finding Sehun.

 

“Aww.” The said person he knocked over cried softly and Baekhyun was mesmerized upon seeing the stranger’s face. “My cream puff.”

 

Baekhyun feels like he’s looking at an angel. The stranger looked at him with his doe eyed eyes and he felt insecure to see how nice his face is. He had a cute button nose and a plump pair of naturally pink lips.

 

“I’m sorry.” Baekhyun helped the stranger to stand up and he was able to see him up close. The stranger’s gaze was fixed on the ground and Baekhyun felt bad that there’s a cream puff wasted because of his clumsiness. “Your cream puff.”

 

“That was my last money…” he mumbled, making Baekhyun feel guilty. He also heard the stranger’s stomach growled and somehow, Baekhyun knows he had to take responsibility. “I wasn’t looking. I’m sorry.”

 

Baekhyun was surprised to hear the stranger apologized.

 

He is definitely an angel personified.

 

“It was my fault –“Baekhyun told him, and he really felt little when the stranger smiled at him.

 

He never seen someone so perfect like him.

“Let me pay you back.” Baekhyun insisted and it was a surprise that the stranger didn’t refused.

 

“Thanks. I was really hungry.” The strange said, smiling cutely as he took a big bite on the cream puff Baekhyun purchased from the university cafeteria. Baekhyun was amazed how someone can be so full of grace and beautiful at the same time. “Why?”

 

Baekhyun blushed when he had an eye contact with the stranger. He wished he had big doe eyes like him. His eyes were small. “Oh. Sorry… I … just…”think you’re really pretty. “I wonder where your friends are so you can be with them? You said you spent your last money on the wasted cream puff…”

“Oh! I don’t go here.” The stranger answered. “Actually. I’m lost. I came from the states and this is where I went immediately.”

“Then… I can help you find your way.” He offered and the stranger gladly accepted it.

 

Baekhyun noticed how happy looking the stranger was. He was friendly and warm. Baekhyun can't help but to notice the bandages on his hand as they walk to the Med School building because he said, that’s where the person he’s looking for.

 

Suddenly, the stranger dropped his cream puff again and Baekhyun noticed that he was frozen while looking at his hands.

 

“Is – is everything okay?” Baekhyun asked as he pulled the stranger to sit down first because he paled.

 

The stranger smiled at him and tried to stop the shaking of his hand. “Yeah. I – well… it will be fine soon. This happens a lot after my surgery.”

“Do you want me to fetch you any meds?”

“No. It’s fine. I don’t want to be dependent to meds. This will fade soon.”

Baekhyun was quiet after. He doesn’t know if he should leave the stranger or converse with him some more. He looked shaken by what happened but he doesn’t want to cross any line by asking.

 

“Thank you for being here with me.” The stranger mumbled. “You could’ve left me because I am not your responsibility but you stayed. It was awkward being with me right?”

 

“A little… but it’s not your fault. I’m always awkward… do you… really not want to take meds or even see the nurse?”

“No. It’s really fine. I really hate the sudden loss of senses my hands experience but it’s fine. I’m still glad they’re still attached to my body after my accident though they’re sort of useless now for a neurosurgeon like me. I still like seeing them.”

“You’re a neurosurgeon??? You looked very young!”

“I’m glad to be complimented.”

Baekhyun bowed down and made the stranger wondering. “I’m sorry to hear about your accident.”

“It’s fine. Sorry. I’m really chatty. I have a lot of things going inside my mind and I do word vomiting unconsciously. Besides, this shaking will stop soon.” He said as he looked at his hands. “I’ll be having another surgery soon and hopefully, I can still continue my profession.”

The stranger managed to side track him on finding Sehun. His stories were interesting and very enlightening.

“Will you be having your surgery here in the university?” Baekhyun asked curiously and the stranger shook his head.

 

“I’ll be having it back in Cambridge. I just came here in Seoul to get back with my ex-fiance. There’s a possibility that my surgery go wrong and I might die. I wanted to make it right with him and spend the remaining days of my life with him if possible.”

 

Baekhyun looked at the stranger smiling fondly as he looked at the university students passing them by. He realized how short and unexpected their lives are. You may be alive today but no one holds the future. It was very brave of the stranger to come here without any assurance that he can get back with his ex but he’s willing to try.

“Taking risk is okay. Living in a life full of what ifs and fear of putting yourself out to hurt is like not living at all. That’s jailing yourself. After all, painful experiences are the greatest teacher that will help us grow.”

 

When stranger felt thirsty, Baekhyun told him that he could get him something to quench his thirst near the vending machine across them. He knows the stranger was still shocked from what had happened with his hand that’s why he insisted.

He learned a lot and thought about him being scared on confessing his feelings to the prince. He wanted to do the same. He wanted to be courageous and tell the prince what he’s been feeling for him.

 

He wanted him to know that he loves him and will always be supporting him.

 

That he doesn’t want nothing in return but for him to live happily and contently.

After successfully buying a drink, Baekhyun sees the stranger frantically standing up with a huge smile on his face.

“Chanyeol!” he shouted making Baekhyun follow his gaze and felt cold upon seeing the prince.

And then it hits Baekhyun.

 

The stranger was Chanyeol’s past lover.
The stranger was Luhan.

Baekhyun unconsciously dropped the bottle as he watched Luhan made a run to where Chanyeol is and launched himself happily.

The prince was careful to hug him back. Baekhyun wanted to turn on his back but he’s already frozen on his place. He can’t move because of shock.

And then Luhan connected their lips sweetly.

Baekhyun’s heart ached severely, tears filling his eyes. He was surprised when a tall figure blocked his sight. He looked up and saw Sehun, looking down on him with so much concern. That’s when his tears fell rapidly.

Sehun took his hand pulled him to walk away. He was thankful he’s been saved again by him.

 

Baekhyun’s mind… was being filled with the possibility that the prince may still be in love with Luhan. How can he not? Luhan was the epitome of being perfect and Baekhyun couldn’t even be compared. They only broke up because he got in between.

The thought of Prince Chanyeol cancelling their engagement was something he should ready himself for.

He was in the middle of trying to stop his tears when he felt a hand holding his free hand.

“Baekhyun…” Chanyeol called him, gasping for his breath and he wanted to hide. He doesn’t want the prince to see him crying his eyes out. Baekhyun didn’t notice how the prince glared at Sehun. “What’s wrong? Where are you going? Why are you crying???”

 

“I – I –“ Baekhyun covered his face with his hands. Nothing registered in his brain.

“What did you do to him?” Chanyeol asked, aggressively pulling Sehun on his collar.

“Me? It’s not me you dumb idiot – it’s you.” Sehun answered back, gripping on Chanyeol’s wrist.

When Baekhyun sees the two brother starting to tick each other off, he decided that it was best to ran away. He doesn’t want them to fight further.

“Baekhyun! Wait!”

He didn’t know how far he went away but Chanyeol was able to catch up on him. When the Prince grabbed on his wrist tightly, Baekhyun tried to remove it.

“Stop - Baekhyun! Why are you running away???” Chanyeol asked, holding him still. “Talk to me!”

“No – no – no. I don’t want you to see me like this.”

“You saw it – you saw it right?”

Baekhyun was crying so hard. He was hurting so bad.

“Look at me, please.”

But looking at the prince hurt. It hurts so badly. The kissed he shared with Luhan replays inside his head when he sees the prince.

“I’m sorry.” The prince mumbled. “What you saw was a purely –“

“It’s fine…” Baekhyun hiccupped. “Your highness, you could go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter